Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,358 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo (4654 Views)

INEC Replies Oshiomhole: We Obeyed Supreme Court On Bayelsa Like We Did On Imo / We Will Comply With Supreme Court Judgement On Bayelsa — INEC / INEC's Press Release On Bayelsa And Kogi Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by SonofDevil: 8:32pm On Feb 18, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Go and reverse it from ogbomosho
oponu

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by guass(m): 8:36pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:
The Bayelsa state supreme court judgment is one that has forced me into reading the electoral act and its provisions once again.

In my quest,the circled section caught my attention,but was shocked to be informed that section had been expunged from our laws.

I am not a Lawyer by profession of which I had admitted before now. So my Learned elders and Law Gurus,please help me learn on the following as it concerns our laws:

(1) If the National assembly makes a law and is assented to by the president,does it not become part of the constitution?

(2) Does the courts have powers to expunge an act of the National assembly from the constitution?

(3) If the Courts have powers to expunge acts of the National assembly,why then is it advised that if there are issues with certain laws or constitution,the National should act to correct same and not the courts?

(4) When an amendment is made to our laws or acts,for how long does it bind?

Please help me to learn!

You have not learned. Please wake up . THIS IS NIGERIA!
Today I use 'tilted glass' not because I am a security personnel or I have medical proof for it, but because I understand the environment I leave, that in case I am asked for my PARTICULARS by the police I know what to do and they will cheer off.
Justice Mary Odili is the wife of the formal PDP governor of Rivers. The likes of Justice Mary Odili are supposed to be in the lower court
where their verdict if discovered to be an obvious miscarriage of justice such a verdict could easily be appealed.
She has PDP blood flowing in her veins. Since peaceful protest is allowed by the constitution. APC faithfuls should use that weapon (PROTEST) wherever she is seen. Let her know that apart from Bayelsans, Nigerians are seriously angry for that verdict.
She has taken us 50 years backward.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by fergie001: 8:37pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Interesting

It’s all a learning class

The constitution supersedes the court ruling

Coz the the lawmakers makes law

The Constitution is Almighty.

So even if all the Senate Presidents in the world make a law that is discrepant with the Constitution....the Constitution MUST always supersede.

You won't see people on this thread because it isn't a tribal one. It is a learning one.
Thanks again.

I didn't know myself until I had to go through it some 3 days ago.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Nobody: 8:39pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

I will refer you to number (2) on my post

(2) Does the courts have powers to expunge an act of the National assembly from the constitution?

You're a lame man.

Other zombies are still smarter than you despite you claiming you've stopped being a zombie.
You're not different

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by gratiaeo(m): 9:03pm On Feb 18, 2020
Sarrki have not been fully delivered from the spirit of of zombie. he thought being a Buhari supporter makes him more knowledgeable than supreme court justice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ChristianNorth: 9:20pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

We all have different interpretations on laws

We wait for the review

The for and the against
APC doesn't have sufficient ground to file for review unless they seeking for re-litigation which our Supreme Court don't time for

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 9:21pm On Feb 18, 2020
gratiaeo:
Sarrki have not been fully delivered from the spirit of of zombie. he thought being a Buhari supporter makes him more knowledgeable than supreme court justice

So supporting Pdp is your own interpretation of not being a zombie?

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by doctokwus: 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Tribunal ..Oga...

Tribunal..

Do you really know what pre election matter and post election matters means.

You post is riddled with ignorance.

I am out.
They are the countless illiterates that litter this forum, particularly from the devilish party and worse is that they are impervious to learning,having had a defective or even non existent higher education,like their cattle master.
The deputy governorship candidate was not even qualified to contest in the first place,so the votes were void.
This Odili led judgement should even be applauded nationwide because by this singular,epochal ruling,she has forced down party discipline and thorough scrutiny of candidates that present themselves to the parties.
But that of Imo just just pure fraud.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by id911(m): 9:51pm On Feb 18, 2020
guass:

You have not learned. Please wake up . THIS IS NIGERIA!
Today I use 'tilted glass' not because I am a security personnel or I have medical proof for it, but because I understand the environment I leave, that in case I am asked for my PARTICULARS by the police I know what to do and they will cheer off.
Justice Mary Odili is the wife of the formal PDP governor of Rivers. The likes of Justice Mary Odili are supposed to be in the lower court
where their verdict if discovered to be an obvious miscarriage of justice such a verdict could easily be appealed.
She has PDP blood flowing in her veins. Since peaceful protest is allowed by the constitution. APC faithfuls should use that weapon (PROTEST) wherever she is seen. Let her know that apart from Bayelsans, Nigerians are seriously angry for that verdict.
She has taken us 50 years backward.

A five man panel of justices sat and delivered a sound judgement in line with the law and they were unanimous. But why are evil people left other four justices and only thinking of, and abusing Mary Odili? Why being so bias against the woman?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by surgical: 11:01pm On Feb 18, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

The particular section you circled in red was declared null and void by a high court judge some years ago. The Supreme Court later upheld the decision of the high court because it was not appealed. So, that section is just there on paper, it cannot be enforced.
in fact by Justice Gabriel kolawole
You can see the kind of people we have in APC from head to toe and you wonder why the country is like this
Just hope the people will wake up one day and do the needful

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by OlujobaSamuel: 11:32pm On Feb 18, 2020
If any section of any part of a law or act is at variance with the constitution, it can to such extent be voided by the court.
ACN took PDP, FG And NASS to court over that section and it was voided by the court, the FG then never filed an appeal so that judgement still remains valid, therefore a court can declare an electoral contest winner.
The only saving grace I think the APC has is that supreme court once ruled on a similar case of disqualification of a deputy and same judgement was also review and ultimately set asidw

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 12:04am On Feb 19, 2020
kelvinginzie:

Did the rule of law prevail in osun, Kano and now imo states.
You guys celebrated injustice.
The hypocrisy is stinking
It did.quote where it didnt
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 12:05am On Feb 19, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Tribunal ..Oga...

Tribunal..

Do you really know what pre election matter and post election matters means.

You post is riddled with ignorance.

I am out.
Please go with your ignorant aura

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 12:06am On Feb 19, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

The particular section you circled in red was declared null and void by a high court judge some years ago. The Supreme Court later upheld the decision of the high court because it was not appealed. So, that section is just there on paper, it cannot be enforced.
The supreme court never ruled against it.infact,a full panel of the supreme course upheld it
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 12:09am On Feb 19, 2020
OlujobaSamuel:
If any section of any part of a law or act is at variance with the constitution, it can to such extent be voided by the court.
ACN took PDP, FG And NASS to court over that section and it was voided by the court, the FG then never filed an appeal so that judgement still remains valid, therefore a court can declare an electoral contest winner.
The only saving grace I think the APC has is that supreme court once ruled on a similar case of disqualification of a deputy and same judgement was also review and ultimately set asidw
Thank you.that is a sufficient reason for a review
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by fyneguy: 12:14am On Feb 19, 2020
ChristianNorth:

1. Electoral law is not part of our constitution. A constitution is the body of law that states how a state will be constituted and governed. Every other laws draw their legitimacy from the constitution. The first thing a military government does is to suspend the constitution or a part of it in order to have legitimacy. Other laws are not suspended.

2. Only the Supreme Court does through legal instrument called judicial precedent and when they do, it becomes binding and law on its own unless a new law is passed by the legislatures.

3. It is just to formalize it and nothing more.

4. At the time it is signed.

Bayelsa judgment is apt if you are not sentimental. The judgement sacking Lyon was a pre-election matter meaning APC shouldn't have been on the ballot.

Being on the ballot then disqualified is different from being disqualified before the ballot. The Supreme Court only upheld a pre-election judgment of the High Court

lol Pre-election matter is just semantics! The issue of qualification is obviously a pre-election matter, which the Act addressed. It says if the candidate is not QUALIFIED to contest, then... At what point is qualification issue supposed to be addressed? lol

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 12:15am On Feb 19, 2020
ChristianNorth:

1. Electoral law is not part of our constitution. A constitution is the body of law that states how a state will be constituted and governed. Every other laws draw their legitimacy from the constitution. The first thing a military government does is to suspend the constitution or a part of it in order to have legitimacy. Other laws are not suspended.

2. Only the Supreme Court does through legal instrument called judicial precedent and when they do, it becomes binding and law on its own unless a new law is passed by the legislatures.

Bayelsa judgment is apt if you are not sentimental. The judgement sacking Lyon was a pre-election matter meaning APC shouldn't have been on the ballot.

Being on the ballot then disqualified is different from being disqualified before the ballot. The Supreme Court only upheld a pre-election judgment of the High Court

It is the same thing,do not confuse yourself with contradictions or semantics.the section clearly said a tribunal or court which refers clearly to civil courts and involves both election and pre election matters.disqualification under any guise before or after the polls clearly falls under it.therefore lyon's case falls under it.
Unlike imo,the 60 days allotted for the supreme court to discharge and finish with pre election matters is still running
Again,
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 12:24am On Feb 19, 2020
fyneguy:

lol Pre-election matter is just semantics! The issue of qualification is obviously a pre-election matter, which the Act addressed. It says if the candidate is not QUALIFIED to contest, then... At what point is qualification issue supposed to be addressed? lol
Dont mind that pdp lawyer,he always contradicts himself.his opening address in courts will clearly make him lose cases.last week,he claimed that the case was a technical one,a 50 50 case and with good lawyers like ikpeazu,apc might have won now he's somersaulting saying the ruling was apt.self contradictions are an anathema.it made apc lose at the supreme court in 2015.see jummai vs isyaku anor 2015 supra per jsc Rhodes vivour.

You captured his tactics with the right word semantics.during the legal battle between apc and pdp in osun last year,the apc lawyers clearly reminded the supreme court that they had on two occasions upheld that disputed section of the electoral law and they concurred.lyon's chances are now brighter than that of ihedioha

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Sammyl93(m): 12:55am On Feb 19, 2020
sarrki:

I will refer you to number (2) on my post

A lot of people have tried to correct you I don't know why you are still acting in ignorance every act of the national assembly which comes in contrast with any part of the Constitution can be annulled by the court.
The role of the judiciary is to interpret the laws made by the legislative and if in the course of the interpretation any of the laws contradicts other extant laws of the land then the judiciary have the authority to declare it noid and void
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by yarimo(m): 1:03am On Feb 19, 2020
kiyosaki1:

Don't mind the guy , he is just trying to massage his ego . He is still to come to terms that Bayelsa is gone for good .
bayelsa is gone for good but imo state is not gone in your mind abi?
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by alen4smith(m): 4:23am On Feb 19, 2020
ChristianNorth:

does that then mean that the judgement of Adamu muazu of Bauchi state whose deputy had similar issue with qualification was wrong?because that was also a pre election matter.
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ChristianNorth: 5:09am On Feb 19, 2020
alen4smith:
does that then mean that the judgement of Adamu muazu of Bauchi state whose deputy had similar issue with qualification was wrong?because that was also a pre election matter.
That was ages ago.

We have a new electoral law now and precedents

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ChristianNorth: 5:12am On Feb 19, 2020
Dansuqi:

It is the same thing,do not confuse yourself with contradictions or semantics.the section clearly said a tribunal or court which refers clearly to civil courts and involves both election and pre election matters.disqualification under any guise before or after the polls clearly falls under it.therefore lyon's case falls under it.
Unlike imo,the 60 days allotted for the supreme court to discharge and finish with pre election matters is still running
Again,
Keep deceiving yourself. The Supreme Court only affirmed the pre-election judgment of the High Court.
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ChristianNorth: 5:19am On Feb 19, 2020
fyneguy:

I don't have time for this, I am busy right now, so no need for a lengthy explanation.

To end this, take this home.

The Supreme Court has power to set and set aside precedents. Just assume that Bayelsa is one of them and quit wailing

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by alen4smith(m): 5:40am On Feb 19, 2020
ChristianNorth:

That was ages ago.

We have a new electoral law now and precedents
pre -election?
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by durangokid: 6:11am On Feb 19, 2020
sarrki:
The Bayelsa state supreme court judgment is one that has forced me into reading the electoral act and its provisions once again.

In my quest,the circled section caught my attention,but was shocked to be informed that section had been expunged from our laws.

I am not a Lawyer by profession of which I had admitted before now. So my Learned elders and Law Gurus,please help me learn on the following as it concerns our laws:

(1) If the National assembly makes a law and is assented to by the president,does it not become part of the constitution?

(3) If the Courts have powers to expunge acts of the National assembly,why then is it advised that if there are issues with certain laws or constitution,the National should act to correct same and not the courts?

Please help me to learn!

. Can you help us analyze that of the imo
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by oyatz(m): 6:20am On Feb 19, 2020
ChristianNorth:

This is the first explicit post on the subject matter devoid of 'tribal bashing, insults and childish name calling' that are very typical of Nairaland threads.
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by lx3as(m): 6:24am On Feb 19, 2020
Faleke as deputy to Audu in Kogi state election was not even recognised by the same court but party.
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by thundafire: 7:24am On Feb 19, 2020
sarrki:

Please help me to learn!

it has nothing to do with election so calling for fresh election is out,it deals strictly with forgery in which der joint ticket is useless pray never to be with someone to drag u down with him/her
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ALTERNATEID: 8:02am On Feb 19, 2020
Dansuqi:

The supreme court never ruled against it.infact,a full panel of the supreme course upheld it

You need to read my post again, very slowly this time around and try to comprehend my point.
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 8:23am On Feb 19, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

You need to read my post again, very slowly this time around and try to comprehend my point.
With the supreme court upholding that section,it is still alive and enforceable

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Dansuqi: 8:25am On Feb 19, 2020
ChristianNorth:

Keep deceiving yourself. The Supreme Court only affirmed the pre-election judgment of the High Court.

And keep redeceiving yourself.the high court ruling still falls under that section

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LASG Warns Residents To Desist From Indiscriminate Storage Of Fuel / MC Oluomo Tweet: Daily Trust, TheCable, Others Disagree With Mynd44 (Pictures) / With The Way Things Are Going PETER OBI Would Be The Next President Soon (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.