Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction (21350 Views)

Lagos State Task Enforces Okada Restriction, 105 Motorcycles Impounded / Okada Restriction In Lagos: Sanwoolu Is On The Side Of The Law And Has Done Well / Sowore's Party, AAC Records Massive Wins Over PDP In Two Rivers LGAs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by sapientia(m): 9:45am On Feb 25, 2020
Less traffic, less accident.

Normal.

RaptObserver:
It is normal. When it was banned in Abuja city centre years ago the emergency wards of the general hospitals became decongested.

Remembering okada inside Abuja town sends chills down my spine.

Why I go read your post eeh?
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by GOOOGLE504(m): 10:41am On Feb 25, 2020
Jestin:
I was one of the happiest people when okada was banned in Edo state because okada accident is very severe especially those aboki when dey bend yansh drive.

lol.. the mofo will now be asking me to sit properly wen he's the one bending yansh upandan
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by SciLab: 10:50am On Feb 25, 2020
They will still relax the rule when elections dates are near.
You will see Sanwo-Olu and jagabandit on okada during campaigns deceiving theirselves, even Fashola did it.
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by DAVE5(m): 3:28pm On Feb 25, 2020
ursullalinda:
Personally Okada should remain banned......But they should please consider keke.....or an alternative......these days I drive to both relevant and irrelevant places

The irrelevant places is the Koko

Someone was shouting ban everything so that they won't scratch her car, not knowing they help in terms of those irrelevant places like you said

1 Like

Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by DAVE5(m): 3:54pm On Feb 25, 2020
dandadee:
As a trainee trauma surgeon, I need lots of hands on to perfect my skills #bringourokadaback

The same reason your mechanic never fixes ur car to a reasonable state, so you keep coming back to spend ur hard earned cash

But not too worry, hope u know ur prayer has no limit since u want hands on for practice, what goes around comes around

When you live in a glass house, don't throw stones

Nigerians and our selfish thinking sha
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by Legendguru: 4:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
And massive traffic
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by obi58: 7:08pm On Feb 25, 2020
Cantonese:
Naturally that's what to expect.

May I just ask if the Hausa/Fulani riders along Badagry road lords of their own? Is Badagry road not part of the banned roads? The whole length of the road starting from Orile is completely overrun by these people and the citizens seem totally helpless. Our Police watch them without taking actions to preserve the law banning them. The traffic along that axis is worsened by the nuisance behaviour of these aboki okada riders.

Since the ban there has been total peace in Lagos but we seen the daring ones around Ipaja/Dopemu areas coming out. Trekking has reduced as water has found its level.

It appears like the ban was placed on supposedly big men areas. Please there should be total ban in the whole of Lagos. Those who live in Ikotun - Igando have been having serious issues with the Hausa/Fulani who have taken their bikes there.

Government please ban these people in the whole length and breath of Lagos. Anyone who disagrees with this must be selfish and wicked.

This Okada mode of transportation started in the then rural areas in Lagos in the 80s with government looking the other way. Now people have embraced the rubbish and don't want it to stop.

Mega cities all over the world do not have okadas neither do they have irresponsible unions like NURTW. The union must be banned, danfos must be banned as Ambode originally planned and then sanity and peace would be restored on Lagos roads.

Shut the F up. Since the ban there has been increased traffic in Lagos as more cars are now on the road. Traffic Jams lead to longer commute times to work leading to reduced productivity with its detrimental effect on the economy. There has also been an increase in air pollution due to this unwelcome development.There has also been increased crime as a result of increased joblessness and Hunger.

Talking about Mega cities, it's obvious you're quite ignorant because cities like Jakarta and even Beijing have more motorbikes than cars on their roads. Tricycles (Keke) still remain a major part of the Indian transport system. So go suck on a lemon!

If the government has provided an efficient bus and rail system (mass transit) traversing the entire nooks and crannies of Lagos Metropolis then they can now start talking and we will listen.
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 25, 2020
Simplebeauty:
grin

Statics show that Health Related deaths from Exhaustion and Inhaling fumes from vehicles while staying in "Hold-up" for hours has increased grin
it also says that generator fumes have killed many. grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by BlacDonaldTrump(m): 8:32pm On Feb 25, 2020
You are part of Nigeria's problem.
Enabler of anarchy!

haaaaaaaaa:
I still entered Okada from Iyana Ipaja to Oshodi yesterday morning.
Journey of two one hour with traffic reduced to 10minutes.
That's the essence.
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by Cantonese: 8:40pm On Feb 25, 2020
obi58:

Shut the F up. Since the ban there has been increased traffic in Lagos as more cars are now on the road. Traffic Jams lead to longer commute times to work leading to reduced productivity with its detrimental effect on the economy. There has also been an increase in air pollution due to this unwelcome development.There has also been increased crime as a result of increased joblessness and Hunger.

Talking about Mega cities, it's obvious you're quite ignorant because cities like Jakarta and even Beijing have more motorbikes than cars on their roads. Tricycles (Keke) still remain a major part of the Indian transport system. So go suck on a lemon!

If the government has provided an efficient bus and rail system (mass transit) traversing the entire nooks and crannies of Lagos Metropolis then they can now start talking and we will listen.

And you think your contribution/analysis make any sense?. I think you just wake up, watch your elder brother's tv, see motorikes moving around certain city capitals and believe ignorantly that you are seeing scenes from the streets of Lagos.

Anyway one cannot blame you. I think you are an okada rider/owner. With such archaic arguments and attitudes how can we have a cleaner, safer and saner society?

For your information the motor bikes you view in your elder brother's tv are not for commercial purposes, in the countries you referred to. Are the bike riders rough and irresponsible like we have in Lagos? How many do you see in your tv kicking people's wares, chasing people off the roads and punching people?

We are talking about the irresponsible methods of Okada and Keke riders, for your information.

And you think I am ignorant? Which of the countries or cities you quoted have you visited to see things for yourself? India is the tricycle headquarters of the world; but have you ever in your tv seen the operators destroying people's wares or driving on medians? The Chinese everyday improve in the area of air pollution with electric bikes and diesel powered vehicles instead of petrol.

Expectedly the ban must have its costs and challenges. Lagos state government did not ban okadas and kekes in the whole of Lagos. The okadas too have simply relocated to areas where they are not restricted. If they are totally banned our society would be better and they can have better health too. Did you not read the portion where it was stated that accidents had drastically reduced? How has the ban worsened crime in Lagos? Before now were okadas and kekes not used for getaway by robbers and pick pockets? In the other cities where they are banned in Nigeria, is there no peace? Right in my presence this morning, a keke carrying six big gas cylinders rammed into a Toyota RX 300. The man was lucky as he was unhurt.

If we must have better cities in Nigeria, we must not just talk about change, we must put change to action. People like you must wake up from their deep slumber and convert their so called "when I was in London oyinbo" into more meaningful things to help our society.
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by henryboss(m): 9:40pm On Feb 25, 2020
Neurotika:
"The Lagos State Government has affirmed that there has been a massive drop in the rate of fatal accidents involving commercial motorcycles". Lol. It's like saying there has been no plane crash since the ban on airplanes. A no brainer.

I don't understand this government's specific kind of stupidity but I do admire their total commitment to it.

Note he never said OKADA accident. He said ACCIDENT in totally. You should read well and try and understand perfectly before responding...

Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by obi58: 9:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
Cantonese:

And you think your contribution/analysis make any sense?. I think you just wake up, watch your elder brother's tv, see motorikes moving around certain city capitals and believe ignorantly that you are seeing scenes from the streets of Lagos.

YAWN.... foolish riposte

Anyway one cannot blame you. I think you are an okada rider/owner. With such archaic arguments and attitudes how can we have a cleaner, safer and saner society?

more foolishness spewed forth. How can you talk of a cleaner society by implementing a law which will quadruple the number of vehicles in the streets? How can you talk of a cleaner society with increased traffic jams and air pollution?

For your information the motor bikes you view in your elder brother's tv are not for commercial purposes, in the countries you referred to. Are the bike riders rough and irresponsible like we have in Lagos? How many do you see in your tv kicking people's wares, chasing people off the roads and punching people?

Yet again more foolishness spewed forth. How can a government which calls itself government with all its organs of security (Police, LASTMA, KAI, Amotekun, Road Safety) find it easier to enforce outright ban than to regulate and sanitise Okada and keke rides by arresting the errant riders? Does it make sense to throw the baby away with the bath water? Is it not in a lawless society that people will have the audacity to harass people? Is that not just plain laziness? Anyways... I don't expect someone with your low IQ to comprehend these basic facts. It's just like someone stupidly banning vehicles because they are involved in accidents or are used as getaways in robberies

We are talking about the irresponsible methods of Okada and Keke riders, for your information.

Olodo, if the government is looking for what to ban, why not ban Agberos and NURTW touts extorting transporters on daily basis Everyday transporters are bled dry by these touts. The transporters simply pass the burden
to the common man in fares which everyday keep skyrocketing. What is the government doing about this?

And you think I am ignorant? Which of the countries or cities you quoted have you visited to see thinks for yourself? India is the tricycle headquarters of the world; but have you ever in your tv seen the operators destroying people's wares or driving on medians? The Chinese everyday improve in the area of air pollution with electric bikes and diesel powered vehicles instead of petrol.

You are ignorant no doubt for supporting this ban. It is simply outright laziness by the government!!! Come up with innovative solutions and not just take the cowardly way out by banning what you have failed to regulate!!! You think Lagos is populated? Do you know the population of Mumbai?? Do you know how many tricycles are used in Public transport daily there? Is it not a government there that is regulating their operations? If the Lagos government actually have a clue what they are doing or genuinely have the best interests of the people at heart, don't you think they should send some of their officials to understudy mass transit systems in such locations like this? IN FACT IN WHICH COUNTRY HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS KIND OF OUTRIGHT BAN PLUMMETING THE VAST MAJORITY OF ITS CITIZENRY INTO SUFFERING AND JOBLESSNESS WITHOUT A VIABLE ALTERNATIVE?

Expectedly the ban must have its costs and challenges. Lagos state government did not ban okadas and kekes in the whole of Lagos. The okadas too have simply relocated to areas where they are not restricted. If they are totally banned our society would be better and they can have better health too. Did you not read the portion where it was stated that accidents had drastically reduced? How has the ban worsened crime in Lagos? Before now were okadas and kekes not used for getaway by robbers and pick pockets? In the other cities where they are banned in Nigeria, is there no peace? Right in my presence this morning, a keke carrying six big gas cylinders rammed into a Toyota RX 300. The man was lucky as he was unhurt.

Oga get it into your head that the excesses of Okadas and Kekes exist simply because of the failure of law enforcement to do their job! They are only good at creating avenues for extortion!! That MUST change!!! You don't punish your citizens for the inefficiency of your agencies PERIOD. DID YOU REALLY ASK HOW CRIME HAS WORSENED WHEN OVERNIGHT MILLIONS OF BREADWINNERS HAVE BEEN RENDERED JOBLESS? ARE YOU JUST PLAIN HEARTLESS

If we must have better cities in Nigeria, we must not just talk about change, we must put change to action. People like you must wake up from their deep slumber and convert their so called "when I was in London oyinbo" into more meaningful things to help our society.

When people like you talk, it is no surprise our country is in the mess it is. No responsible government enacts laws at the expense of its people. Instead they roll up their sleeves be and take responsibility by holding their agencies to book to perform the tasks for which they were contracted. After all Sabbath was made for man and not the other way around. Not even election is around the corner will you see them playing to the gallery to appeal for votes!!!
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by Lastmankc(m): 10:06pm On Feb 25, 2020
golddust6000:
Remove cars as well road accident will reduce as well. It’s obvious.

Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by 9jaRealist: 6:03am On Feb 26, 2020
obi58:
Foolishness. What's the job of government other than to regulate? Why can't Okada and kekes be regulated with all the Police, LASTMA, KAI, Road safety, and even Amotekun on the road?

If the insult is directed at me, I opt to ignore it...
Merely betrays a lack of substance and a crude personal upbringing.

Meanwhile, in respect of the SUBSTANTIVE matter at hand...
Restriction is part of regulation, and obviously it's had a POSITIVE outcome.
>
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by 9jaRealist: 6:07am On Feb 26, 2020
Dpharisee:

Lagos does not have 37 LGA's undecided

It's still 16 LCDAs out of 57 LCDAs and thus NOT a ban. undecided
>
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by obi58: 6:58am On Feb 26, 2020
9jaRealist:

If the insult is directed at me, I opt to ignore it...
Merely betrays a lack of substance and a crude personal upbringing.

Meanwhile, in respect of the SUBSTANTIVE matter at hand...
Restriction is part of regulation, and obviously it's had a POSITIVE outcome.
>

If you understood the meaning of the word restriction you wouldn't use the word to describe an outright ban.

Obviously you must be from another planet where trekking, increased traffic jams and increased unemployment with its attendant social vices (People SUFFERING) is viewed as a positive outcome. Talk about being inhumane! This is clearly a reflection of the kind of antisocial upbringing you had!
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by Cantonese: 8:37am On Feb 26, 2020
[quote author=obi58 post=86957293][/quote]

No wonder the youths of this country remain where they are, when people like you claim to know all and yet you are led by people who forge certificates to get into power and manipulate you all.

I chose to respond to you in the first place because of your cheekiness, otherwise I would have totally ignored you. You deserve to be ignored.

At the end of it all it is very clear that you are very irrational and just talking for the sake of talking. You have been going back and forth and even reiterating my earlier suggestions.

Your sense of reasoning is very mind boggling. I sincerely hope you'll not keep confusing yourself and people around you all your life.

We are talking about implementing policies and ensuring that policies work and here you are beating about the bush. The laws are there and people like you choose to circumvent the laws.

I know you have never flown in an aircraft all your life, how much more visiting India, China and Indonesia. For your information, Nigeria does not have the amount of bikes and cars that they have on their roads daily. Infact they prefer to purchase very small cars that can fit into small car spaces and are fuel economic. New Delhi alone has longer traffic jam than you can experience in any part of Nigeria. Go there and see for yourself, if you can. Are there no laws there? Don't the citizens operate under their laws? They never get away with recklessness on the roads.

Anyway I do not blame you for your mental situation. They say "empty barrels make the most noise". Can you sincerely say you are not an empty barrel?
Re: Lagos Records Massive Drop In Accidents After ‘Okada’ Restriction by 9jaRealist: 4:38am On Feb 27, 2020
obi58:
If you understood the meaning of the word restriction you wouldn't use the word to describe an outright ban.

Obviously you must be from another planet where trekking, increased traffic jams and increased unemployment with its attendant social vices (People SUFFERING) is viewed as a positive outcome. Talk about being inhumane! This is clearly a reflection of the kind of antisocial upbringing you had!

I will continue to ignore the childish personal attacks...
Again, it merely betrays the lack of a substantively meritorious argument and a crude personal upbringing.

Meanwhile, on the SUBSTANTIVE matter at hand...
How is a MASSIVE reduction in deaths (19 in the previous month and 201 the previous year) to just one be anything but POSITIVE?!

Perhaps you are an undertaker, but laws are made for the general population and thus it's a POSITIVE outcome...
Even ignoring the new buses/ferries, only people who are ALIVE can complain about trekking, and that's way BETTER than death SMH.
>

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Concession Sagamu-benin, Nine Other Expressways / Ilana Omo Oodua: We Are Not Terrorists, Not Like IPOB — Yoruba Group To FG / Nigerian Senators' Salaries Vs Us President's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.