Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) (12568 Views)

Amaechi Inspects Port-Harcourt International Airport - Photos / ENUGU International Airport Scam: Another 419 On The Igbo Nation / Where Is Gej's Enugu "International Airport"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 4:11am On Dec 18, 2010
Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (Picture)

Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 4:12am On Dec 18, 2010
I know that this is politics, but I like this type of politics. grin grin
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 4:14am On Dec 18, 2010
I couldn't help noticing that some of the national assembly members look haggard despite all the money they were alleged to have made.

Money isn't everything.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Nobody: 4:26am On Dec 18, 2010
Can we plz have more pictures?

Thanks.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by dempeople(m): 6:27am On Dec 18, 2010
Does it mean that it took them 10months, just to pave and expand the runway? Was the terminal itself renovated? I very much doubt. Please Onlytruth, more pictures please. I want to see the extent of work carried out in the airport.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by ARROBA(m): 8:20am On Dec 18, 2010
Pic 1

Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by ARROBA(m): 8:22am On Dec 18, 2010
Pic2

Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Kobojunkie: 8:31am On Dec 18, 2010
dem_people:

Does it mean that it took them 10months, just to pave and expand the runway? Was the terminal itself renovated? I very much doubt. Please Onlytruth, more pictures please. I want to see the extent of work carried out in the airport.

The project belongs to the Yar adua Administration . . . https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-359686.0.html
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Odunnu: 8:41am On Dec 18, 2010
dem_people:

. . .and upgrade it to an international airpot.
Portharcourt airport was shut down for abt a year,nothing happened.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by chyz(m): 8:41am On Dec 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The project belongs to the Yar adua Administration . . .  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-359686.0.html

Wrong. They were never going to actually give Enugu international status. Because of Jonathan gaining presidential status and changing ministers, it was granted international status, http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/12/fg-denies-granting-enugu-airport-intl-status/
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Odunnu: 8:44am On Dec 18, 2010
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Odunnu: 8:45am On Dec 18, 2010
What if GEJ didnt see through the project after the death of Y'adua?
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Kobojunkie: 8:55am On Dec 18, 2010
Enugu Airport Upgrade Approved.

PRESIDENT MUSA YAR'ADUA APPROVES UPGRADING OF ENUGU AIRPORT

[b]The President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'Adua has given approval for the upgrading of the Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu to the status of an international airport.

The Minister of Transportation, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke[size=13pt] disclosed today Tuesday 13th November 2007[/size] that the President's action was aimed at alleviating the travails of the many business men and travellers to the zone. [/b]She said the Presidential approval would enable the Ministry commence on a phased programme of major infrastructural upgrading and developments at the airport, to transform it into a major sub-regional transportation hub, utilizing existing budgetary appropriations along with new initiatives unde Private Investment Schemes to generate the requisite funds. She expressed the hope that the exercise could be completed within the next few years.

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/news-current-affairs-politics/25350-enugu-airport-upgrade-approved.html

The Akanu Ibiam international airport
Sep 6, 2009

. . . . .

In any case, why shouldn’t Yar’Adua care? Approving state funds for the upgrade of federal investments in the South East of Nigeria should no longer be considered an act of charity from some god sitting in some splendid remove at Abuja, and dishing largesse to whomsoever he pleases.
It is an economic decision – and it is a sound economic decision to invest in an international airport in Enugu to cater for that segment of a travelling population who are currently inconvenienced by the absence of such a facility.

. . . . .

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/09/the-akanu-ibiam-international-airport/

[size=13pt]Akanu Ibiam International Airport closed for repairs

BY CHINEDU EZE | NOV 30, 2009
[/size]

It is also expected that with its new status as an international airport, the airport would be designated for international operations in the future.

The general manager of public affairs of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr. Akin Olukunle, said that the runway rehabilitation and extension contract was awarded to PW Limited, and[b] it is expected to be completed in 12 months from the day work starts[/b] on the project. The cost of the project, which is N4.13 billion, was approved by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) and will include extension, asphalting, and marking of the runway.

According to Olukunle, this is part of the restructuring program being embarked on by the Ministry of Aviation and FAAN for the total rehabilitation of airport facilities in the country.

Last year, the Yar'Adua Administration upgraded the Enugu airport to international status in tandem with the new policy of having at least one international airport in every geopolitical zone of the country.

It is expected that chieftains of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) would accompany the Ministry to the flag-off ceremony as the south-east caucus of the party will be holding a meeting in Enugu on the same day.

It was also learned that work started on the Enugu airport on Saturday, and the runway was closed to traffic from the morning until 4:00 pm. . . . .

http://www.eturbonews.com/13028/akanu-ibiam-international-airport-closed-repairs
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by kobojokobo: 9:11am On Dec 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The project belongs to the Yar adua Administration . . . https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-359686.0.html

GEJ was part of Yar'adua Administration,

So what is your point exactly?
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by chyz(m): 9:16am On Dec 18, 2010
[size=15pt]FG denies granting Enugu airport int’l status[/size]
Latest News Dec 1, 2009

By Tony Edike

ENUGU—[size=13pt]THE Federal Government said, yesterday that it has not given approval for upgrading of the Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu to an international status, stressing that only four airports, including those in Lagos, Abuja, Kano and Port Harcourt would remain as international airports for now.[/size]

The explanation came against the backdrop of recent media reports that the Federal Government had awarded a N4.13 billion contract for the upgrading of facilities in the airport to an international status, a development that was hailed by the people of the South East.

Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu had also confirmed to newsmen in Enugu, that the contract which was approved by the Federal Executive Council in its recent meeting at Abuja, was aimed at granting the airport an international status.
[size=13pt]
But the Minister of Aviation, Mr. Babatunde Omotoba, while flagging-off the project at Enugu airport yesterday, said the contract was primarily to rehabilitate and upgrade facilities in the airport to meet aviation safety standard as well as to make provision for heavier aircrafts.
[/size]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/12/fg-denies-granting-enugu-airport-intl-status/

^^^I think it's quite clear that it was never going to happen. If GEJ didn't become president and also change ministers,like Omotoba, it would definitely not have happened.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by babytejiri(m): 9:51am On Dec 18, 2010
Thank God, now i won't need to travel to Portharcourt to pick a flight.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by chic2pimp(m): 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2010
kobojokobo:

GEJ was part of Yar'adua Administration,

So what is your point exactly?
This dude's User I.D is cracking me up real bad grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by otokx(m): 2:54pm On Dec 18, 2010
What is international about ENUGU airport or PORT HARCOURT airport or KANO? Is it the signboard or what?
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by kobojokobo: 5:37pm On Dec 18, 2010
chic2pimp:

This dude's User I.D is cracking me up real bad grin grin grin grin grin

I am lost

What is funny about it?
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by AkinEgba: 5:43pm On Dec 18, 2010
ARROBA:

Pic2

I know that buildings do not define an airport more than runways and signs, but this building does not tell a good story of an international airport. Pathetic building, really.

Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 10:14pm On Dec 18, 2010
Akin-Egba:

I know that buildings do not define an airport more than runways and signs, but this building does not tell a good story of an international airport. Pathetic building, really.

None of Nigeria's so called international airports have buildings worth their status. undecided So, I am not too concerned about that for now.
I think that the airport should be concessioned to a private company owned partially by the south eastern states governments. We can build a true world class facility there. All we need is the international designation.
Other things will follow naturally.
This airport can quickly become the busiest in Nigeria. It all depends on what the Igbo decide to do about it. We can't keep waiting for the federal government for everything. That is unlike us.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Nobody: 10:33pm On Dec 18, 2010
ARROBA:

Pic 1

Is this the Enugu Int'l airport we've been discussing so proudly on NL?
I was expecting it to kick azz. Like one of those Japanese/Chinese airports.
Ohh, they're still renovating it I guess.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by kobojokobo: 10:51pm On Dec 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

None of Nigeria's so called international airports have buildings worth their status. undecided So, I am not too concerned about that for now.
I think that the airport should be concessioned to a private company owned partially by the south eastern states governments. We can build a true world class facility there. All we need is the international designation.
Other things will follow naturally.
This airport can quickly become the busiest in Nigeria. It all depends on what the Igbo decide to do about it. We can't keep waiting for the federal government for everything. That is unlike us.

. . . with fake products and stolen goods, chei?
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 10:52pm On Dec 18, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Is this the Enugu Int'l airport we've been discussing so proudly on NL?
I was expecting it to kick azz.  Like one of those Japanese/Chinese airports.
Ohh, they're still renovating it I guess.

Yes, they are. But the main truth is that it will not be what it should be if left for the federal government.

It should be taken over by a private company and run as a business. With all the money at its disposal, the federal government has not upgraded ANY of the international airports facilities to make them suitable for serious business.

Look, anytime I think of Nigeria's problems, all I see are opportunities, BUT first things first. If the political structure is not in place, no business idea can thrive there.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by OchiAgha2(m): 10:53pm On Dec 18, 2010
Murtala Mohammed International Airport and Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport look a lot better I must say. I am not impressed with Akanu Ibiam International Airport. It looks like a bigger version of the Owerri Airport. Come on now Nigerian Federal Government, you all could have done a lot better.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 10:53pm On Dec 18, 2010

Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by OchiAgha2(m): 10:54pm On Dec 18, 2010
kobojokobo:

.   .   .  with fake products and stolen goods, chei?

Do you say anything positive? Your pessimism is quite annoying.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 18, 2010
Onlytruth:

Yes, they are. But the main truth is that it will not be what it should be if left for the federal government.

It should be taken over by a private company and run as a business. With all the money at its disposal, the federal government has not upgraded ANY of the international airports facilities to make them suitable for serious business.

Look, anytime I think of Nigeria's problems, all I see are opportunities, BUT first things first. If the political structure is not in place, no business idea can thrive there.

I guess you're right. kiss

Can you keep posting more pictures? Do you have inside pictures of the airport?
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Onlytruth(m): 10:59pm On Dec 18, 2010
I am happy that the south east governors are at least united now, unlike in the days of Orji Kalu.
With Peter Obi's style of politics, one of these days we will have a south eastern conglomerate like we had before the war.
We need business and development, and no one will do them for us. This airport is an asset. And when fully functional, could shift the Nigerian economy to where it should be.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by OchiAgha2(m): 11:02pm On Dec 18, 2010
Which South-East governor has the best leadership qualities? Is it Sullivan Chime? Is it Peter Obi? Is it Martin Elechi? I know it isn't T.A. Orji or Ohakim. This is something I want to know.
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Dec 18, 2010
mere glorified runway grin angry shocked tongue embarassed undecided
Re: Jonathan Commisssions Enugu International Airport (picture) by AkinEgba: 11:23pm On Dec 18, 2010
~Bluetooth:

mere glorified runway grin angry shocked tongue embarassed undecided

Different from those in other international airports in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Americans Kidnapped Off Coast Of Nigeria! / Ambode And Oba Akiolu Celebrate Democracy Day With Physically Challenged / Sowore Is The Answer To Nigeria’s Problems: Verdict From “the Candidates”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.