Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,451 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers (26780 Views)

Supreme Court Imposes N40m Fine On Mike Ozekhome Over Frivolous Suit / Appeal Court Slams ₦‎40m Fine On Lawsuit Seeking To Stop Tinubu Inauguration / Osun: What Supreme Court Should Have Done – Sagay Reacts To Oyetola’s Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by hisexcellency34: 5:46pm On Mar 03, 2020
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Professor Itse Sagay SAN, Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) on Tuesday said the Supreme Court should have imposed a higher fine on the lawyers who represented Emeka Ihedioha, former governor of Imo state.

It will be recalled that the Supreme Court had last week fined lawyers who represented David Lyon and the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the application for review of the apex court’s judgement on Bayelsa election.

While Afe Babalola represented Lyon, Wole Olanipekun represented the APC.

The Supreme court justices ruled that each of the lawyers must pay N10 million to each of the three respondents – the Peoples Democratic Party, Governor Duoye Diri, and the Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State, Lawrence Ewhruojakpo, bringing the total amount to be paid to N60 million.

Speaking on the Imo case, Sagay said the Supreme Court aside dismissing Ihedioha’s application for review ought to have imposed a higher fine on his lawyers.

“Of course, the lawyers who represented Ihedioha should have been fined. If the lawyers who represented the APC candidate in Bayelsa could be fined, and in my view, the wrong done in Bayelsa is far more, that is if you consider if any wrong was done in Imo, then the fine for Ihedioha’s lawyers should have been far more" he said

https://www.independent.ng/supreme-court-should-have-imposed-higher-fine-on-ihediohas-lawyers-sagay/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by amaniro: 5:54pm On Mar 03, 2020
As a lawyer I read Sagay books but to be honest, the guy is dumb as Fvck when it comes to common sense

227 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by masterflowx(m): 5:56pm On Mar 03, 2020
This man is sick I swear.
Sagay, oya take brain resetting slap...

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 5:57pm On Mar 03, 2020
You are absolutely right Sagay

Although they can't impose fine because the igbo judge saved his people from embarrassment by going against the final judgment. Hence, because the judgment was not unanimous, the judges cannot give a fine.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by hisexcellency34: 6:00pm On Mar 03, 2020
What do you mean by ' the igbo judge??

Iamgrey5:

Although they can't impose fine because the igbo judge saved his people from embarrassment by going against the final judgment. Hence, because the judgment was not unanimous, the judges cannot give a fine.

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 6:01pm On Mar 03, 2020
hisexcellency34:
What do you mean by ' the igbo judge??

The judge who gave the judgment in favour of PDP is igbo

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Provalker: 6:02pm On Mar 03, 2020
Sagay is a hopeless lunatic who should be confined to the four walls of the asylum.

93 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by hisexcellency34: 6:03pm On Mar 03, 2020
Ok. Justice Nweze

Iamgrey5:
The judge who gave the judgment in favour of PDP is igbo

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by festacman(m): 6:03pm On Mar 03, 2020
Although the Justices of Supreme Court have powers to award cost to punish appellants when necessary, imposing those hefty amounts against Afe Babalola and Wole Olanipekun was unnecessary humiliation. They could have throwned out the review request without denigrating the some of the finest members of the Bar who have made so much contribution to the legal profession.

In as much as giving in to judgement review requests by selfish and inconsiderate politicians would ultimately bastardize the image of the apex court but insisting that the institution can NEVER review its judgement even in the face of new strong evidence is simply judicial dictatorship. The implication of this ruling is that an innocent man on death row can still be executed once Supreme Court upholds his conviction even if a new incontrovertible evidence emerges. It is a poor attempt by fallible human beings to play God. The thought of this is scary.

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 6:04pm On Mar 03, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Ok. Justice Nweze
Yes, he is igbo from Enugu.

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by amaniro: 6:05pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

Igbo Judge kor Fuvcking tribalistic Dimwit

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 6:06pm On Mar 03, 2020
amaniro:

is the Judge not igbo

8 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by AgbariOjukwu1: 6:07pm On Mar 03, 2020
amaniro:
As a lawyer I read Sagay books but to be honest, the guy is dumb as Fvck when it comes to common sense

Lol, Law of contract and Family Law text book.

But if indeed you are a lawyer you should know that Sagay is one of the best in the country.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Nobody: 6:11pm On Mar 03, 2020
Abeg, wetin this Kain - kain Professor dey yarn?

12 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by nairavsdollars(f): 6:15pm On Mar 03, 2020
I agree. they ought to be fined cos they both wasted the time of my Lord justices. A sauce for the goose kinda

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by alezzy13: 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2020
I no understand??

Was any fine imposed on Ihedioha's lawyers?
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Nobody: 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2020
Lol.

Justice Amina was on her period that day.

That fine is an offshoot of menstrual cramps.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by hisexcellency34: 6:19pm On Mar 03, 2020
Try and read well

alezzy13:
I no understand??

Was any fine imposed on Ihedioha's lawyers?
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by JONNYSPUTE(m): 6:22pm On Mar 03, 2020
Awol1:
Lol.

Justice Amina was on her period that day.

That fine is an offshoot of menstrual cramps.
...I no fit laugh abeg.lol

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by nairavsdollars(f): 6:22pm On Mar 03, 2020
Dont mind him. A judge is a judge
amaniro:

15 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by fergie001: 6:24pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

Hear yourself.....

7 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 6:27pm On Mar 03, 2020
fergie001:

Hear yourself..
as in

Was the judge igbo ?

Was the judgment unanimous?

Could they have given a fine on the lawyers if the judgment wasn't unanimous?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by RuddyFusion(m): 6:27pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Yes, he is igbo from Enugu.

And so?

8 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 6:28pm On Mar 03, 2020
RuddyFusion:

And so?
And so what

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Homeboiy: 6:28pm On Mar 03, 2020
E pain am

6 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by fergie001: 6:29pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
as in

Was the judge igbo ?

Was the judgment unanimous?

Could they have given a fine on the lawyers if the judgment wasn't unanimous?
So a judge's name is now Igbo judge.
My bro....I thought you have outgrown this thing that children here engage in...If you don't know his name, ask and you will be told.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Fasindo: 6:29pm On Mar 03, 2020
shocked

Its Sagay truly the author of 'Law of Contract'?

I gained a lot reading his books but gain nothing listening to him.

When ever he talks he talks rubbish, he should stop talking nd focus on writing more law books

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iamgrey5(m): 6:33pm On Mar 03, 2020
fergie001:

So a judge's name is now Igbo judge.
My bro....I thought you have outgrown this thing that children here engage in...If you don't know his name, ask and you will be told.
Ok I am sorry, let me rephrase my sentence..

Justice Nweze from Enugu Judgment was the main reason the PDP lawyers escaped a fine.

5 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by fergie001: 6:36pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Ok I am sorry, let me rephrase my sentence..

Justice Nweze's Judgment was the main reason the PDP lawyers escaped a fine.
Quite better....Stop the states-profiling. All the judges there belong to one State or the other.

@the bolded, you are wrong....you can ask lawyers.

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Agboriotejoye(m): 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2020
You can go and fine them na
Oversabi based on chop chop

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by googi: 6:52pm On Mar 03, 2020
Bottom line. You can only impose fine if it is frivolous.

There was a dissenting opinion. Reasonable men can agree to disagree.

Iamgrey5:

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s Bail Application / Replacement Diplomas Are Done By Outside Vendors - CSU Registra / Niger Delta Avenger Claims To Have Blown Up NNPC Crude Oil Trunk Line To Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.