Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers (26825 Views)

Supreme Court Imposes N40m Fine On Mike Ozekhome Over Frivolous Suit / Appeal Court Slams ₦‎40m Fine On Lawsuit Seeking To Stop Tinubu Inauguration / Osun: What Supreme Court Should Have Done – Sagay Reacts To Oyetola’s Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by wingmanIII: 6:52pm On Mar 03, 2020
Idiot demented Sagay. Even buhari that appointed him doesn't listen to him anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by senatordave1(m): 7:48pm On Mar 03, 2020
amaniro:
As a lawyer I read Sagay books but to be honest, the guy is dumb as Fvck when it comes to common sense
Is he as dumb as ikpeazu

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by amaniro: 7:53pm On Mar 03, 2020
senatordave1:

Is he as dumb as ikpeazu
Ikpeazu own is just on another level
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 03, 2020
AgbariOjukwu1:

Lol, Law of contract and Family Law text book.

But if indeed you are a lawyer you should know that Sagay is one of the best in the country.

Before he joined APC Government. His brain has been Suspended.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by surgical: 8:42pm On Mar 03, 2020
amaniro:
As a lawyer I read Sagay books but to be honest, the guy is dumb as Fvck when it comes to common sense
maybe he plagiarized and was not caught,his behavior in this regime has exposed is lack of brilliance

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 03, 2020
festacman:

[/b]In as much as giving in to judgement review requests by selfish and inconsiderate politicians would ultimately bastardize the image of the apex court but insisting that the institution can NEVER review its judgement even in the face of new strong evidence is simply judicial dictatorship. The implication of this ruling is that an innocent man on death row can still be executed once Supreme Court upholds his conviction even if a new incontrovertible evidence emerges. It is a poor attempt by fallible human beings to play God. The thought of this is scary.
I love this comment bro.

4 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by RenaissanceGuy: 8:56pm On Mar 03, 2020
amaniro:
Shut up, because you are the one who's sounding dumb. Have you ever made an apolitical comment on Nairaland in your life? If Lyons lawyers were fined, why should he not say the same should apply to other lawyers who did the same thing?

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
The judge who gave the judgment in favour of PDP is igbo

And so?

Abeg make babalola and wole go pay their money.

Igbos and Yorubas ain't mates..Lol

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Dedetwo(m): 9:10pm On Mar 03, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Professor Itse Sagay SAN, Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) on Tuesday said the Supreme Court should have imposed a higher fine on the lawyers who represented Emeka Ihedioha, former governor of Imo state.

It will be recalled that the Supreme Court had last week fined lawyers who represented David Lyon and the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the application for review of the apex court’s judgement on Bayelsa election.

While Afe Babalola represented Lyon, Wole Olanipekun represented the APC.

The Supreme court justices ruled that each of the lawyers must pay N10 million to each of the three respondents – the Peoples Democratic Party, Governor Duoye Diri, and the Deputy Governor of Bayelsa State, Lawrence Ewhruojakpo, bringing the total amount to be paid to N60 million.

Speaking on the Imo case, Sagay said the Supreme Court aside dismissing Ihedioha’s application for review ought to have imposed a higher fine on his lawyers.

“Of course, the lawyers who represented Ihedioha should have been fined. If the lawyers who represented the APC candidate in Bayelsa could be fined, and in my view, the wrong done in Bayelsa is far more, that is if you consider if any wrong was done in Imo, then the fine for Ihedioha’s lawyers should have been far more" he said

https://www.independent.ng/supreme-court-should-have-imposed-higher-fine-on-ihediohas-lawyers-sagay/

This dumbass fool runs his mouth like a dingbat.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Dedetwo(m): 9:15pm On Mar 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
You are absolutely right Sagay

Although they can't impose fine because the igbo judge saved his people from embarrassment by going against the final judgment. Hence, because the judgment was not unanimous, the judges cannot give a fine.

I guess you were happy when the Yari.ba judge ruled against Emeka Ihedioha.

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Collins4u1(m): 11:27pm On Mar 03, 2020
You're really sir gay

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by ambu2: 1:19am On Mar 04, 2020
Prof. Itse Sagay is a foremost erudite law expert. Mob blackmail cannot change that.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by NothingDoMe: 2:49am On Mar 04, 2020
festacman:
Although the Justices of Supreme Court have powers to award cost to punish appellants when necessary, imposing those hefty amounts against Afe Babalola and Wole Olanipekun was unnecessary humiliation. They could have throwned out the review request without denigrating the some of the finest members of the Bar who have made so much contribution to the legal profession.

In as much as giving in to judgement review requests by selfish and inconsiderate politicians would ultimately bastardize the image of the apex court but insisting that the institution can NEVER review its judgement even in the face of new strong evidence is simply judicial dictatorship. The implication of this ruling is that an innocent man on death row can still be executed once Supreme Court upholds his conviction even if a new incontrovertible evidence emerges. It is a poor attempt by fallible human beings to play God. The thought of this is scary.
The problem was the publicity. The media carried it like they were on a mission to dethrone the supreme court and enthrone themselves as final arbitrators.

It's a mistake many can learn from. Never try to outshine your master.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Sagamaje(m): 5:27am On Mar 04, 2020
amaniro:
Also read most of his books too, especially Law of Contract and few I can't remember. That man is a muntulla.

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by ddippset(m): 5:35am On Mar 04, 2020
fergie001:

So a judge's name is now Igbo judge.
My bro....I thought you have outgrown this thing that children here engage in...If you don't know his name, ask and you will be told.
I quite agree with what you're saying.

There shouldn't be anything like Ibo judge,

But the problem is that if someone had said Fulani judge, am not sure you would have any issue with that.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by ddippset(m): 5:40am On Mar 04, 2020
festacman:
Although the Justices of Supreme Court have powers to award cost to punish appellants when necessary, imposing those hefty amounts against Afe Babalola and Wole Olanipekun was unnecessary humiliation. They could have throwned out the review request without denigrating the some of the finest members of the Bar who have made so much contribution to the legal profession.

In as much as giving in to judgement review requests by selfish and inconsiderate politicians would ultimately bastardize the image of the apex court but insisting that the institution can NEVER review its judgement even in the face of new strong evidence is simply judicial dictatorship. The implication of this ruling is that an innocent man on death row can still be executed once Supreme Court upholds his conviction even if a new incontrovertible evidence emerges. It is a poor attempt by fallible human beings to play God. The thought of this is scary.
Am not sure the Supreme Court would not reverse itself in such cases as death and wrongful imprisonment.

Let's divulge these from political issues abeg..

A man on death row could never be likened to the ambition of a Nigerian politician who will end up looting the treasury.

Be sure that is new evidence emerged on a man on death row, the SC would reverse it's decision.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by APCNig: 6:54am On Mar 04, 2020
amaniro:

You read books written by a dumb lawyer, it means you are worse than dumb.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Racoon(m): 7:23am On Mar 04, 2020
Sagay just make me understand the concept behind Maj.
Debo Bashorun Book-"Honour For Sale".Good conscience can be bought over.What a pity.

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by fergie001: 7:47am On Mar 04, 2020
ddippset:
I quite agree with what you're saying.

There shouldn't be anything like Ibo judge,

But the problem is that if someone had said Fulani judge, am not sure you would have any issue with that.
With all due respect, you can ask around, including the person I quoted.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by amaniro: 8:08am On Mar 04, 2020
APCNig:

You read books written by a dumb lawyer, it means you are worse than dumb.

If you read law there's no way you won't read itse sagay law of contract which is compulsory for every law student.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by fergie001: 8:08am On Mar 04, 2020
festacman:
Although the Justices of Supreme Court have powers to award cost to punish appellants when necessary, imposing those hefty amounts against Afe Babalola and Wole Olanipekun was unnecessary humiliation. They could have throwned out the review request without denigrating the some of the finest members of the Bar who have made so much contribution to the legal profession. .

What is new about imposing sanctions on a lawyer?
There is nothing about imposing sanctions on any lawyer.

Go back memory lane and see same. See how Justices have tackled lawyers whom they feel come to armtwist the Judiciary.

There is nothing humiliating about chiding a lawyer. Absolutely nothing. They are mortals not gods. Even the great Gani wasn't spared in time past.

In some cases, they have urged the NBA to mete disciplinary actions. In the case between Jimoh Ibrahim v PDP in Ondo, the Counsel was de-licensed, and was banned from the Court for a specific number of years.

There is nothing like denigration. The only issue I have is that the fine is kind of high, should have been lesser.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by ikennamadu1(m): 8:10am On Mar 04, 2020
Iamgrey5:
is the Judge not igbo
Next time you type nonsense.... I will ban you for 6 months... Last warning

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by temptnow: 8:31am On Mar 04, 2020
Sir-Gay is now behaving like a motor park tout

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by CanadaOrBust: 8:33am On Mar 04, 2020
nairavsdollars:
I agree. they ought to be fined cos they both wasted the time of my Lord justices. A sauce for the goose kinda

How can they impose any fine when it is them that are wrong??
Not imposing any fine is their way of tacitly admitting they were in error.

THAT NAME “NWEZE” WILL BE FOREVER WRITTEN IN GOLD in the annals of Nigerian jurisprudence!!
He stood his ground and told the TRUTH despite all the pressure that must have been put on him.

The SC was clearly wrong or compromised or both.
There is no law that says they shouldn’t see the clearly fraudulent nature of the documents right in front of them.
Also notice how they carefully did not mention numbers in their judgement, in a case that’s all about numbers! For same reason they dared not mention meeting the constitutionally mandated geographical spread - because they know the numbers make no sense - the man gave himself more votes than there are voters! Same reason INEC dared not give the final tally of votes as they did in Bayelsa and all others - they’d be laughed at!

2 Likes

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by israelmao(m): 8:33am On Mar 04, 2020
Supreme Court that imposes its will on electorate and changes the true paternity of a child in the name of non-merit of case brought before it for review.Sometimes I see this man call Sagay as someone who has lost grip of reality in today's Nigeria.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by fergie001: 8:34am On Mar 04, 2020
senatordave1:

Is he as dumb as ikpeazu
Typical you....

You will never call out NapoleonAyade....
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by SocialJustice: 8:34am On Mar 04, 2020
I swear, I was expecting N1bn fine make all the money them want waste kuku finish.
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iceberg3: 8:35am On Mar 04, 2020
Iamgrey5:
You are absolutely right Sagay

Although they can't impose fine because the igbo judge saved his people from embarrassment by going against the final judgment. Hence, because the judgment was not unanimous, the judges cannot give a fine.

Shut up,thank you

1 Like

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Iceberg3: 8:36am On Mar 04, 2020
Iamgrey5:

Oya,go and hug transformer or better still, "lagoonate yourself, thank you"

grin
Lzaa immhotep

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 04, 2020
masterflowx:
This man is sick I swear.
Sagay, oya take brain resetting slap...
na ur grandpa mate u dey give slap online. number one Nairaland mumu. na so small pikin for ur area go dey take ur tiny prick play dat day wey u go mad finish. mumu irritant wit no respect for elders. u go reach 35 years 4 life so
Re: Sagay: Supreme Court Should Have Imposed A Higher Fine On Ihedioha's Lawyers by PicLtd: 8:38am On Mar 04, 2020
Iamgrey5:

Is uzodinma fulani?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abike Dabiri Inspects Venue Of APC Presidential Rally In Enugu (pictures) / Buhari, Tinubu, Saraki In An interactive Dinner (Photos) / Why Fuel Scarcity Will Not Go Away Soon In Nigeria- Sahara Reporters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.