Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,347 members, 7,819,233 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (1567 Views)

Hilda Baci Crying As She Breaks Guinness World Record (Video) / Fish And Crab Soup In Peru / Lady Feeds 40 People On Christmas Day (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by holyme62: 8:26am On Mar 05, 2020
Nature holds a variety of animals, the human mind is yet to comprehend. One of such is the coconut crab. Powerful enough to rip open a coconut, climb trees, break the bones of birds and feed on its flesh.

The coconut crab is one of nature’s gigantic aquatic and terrestrial species. It is a specie of the terrestrial hermit crab also referred to as robber crab or palm thief. This gigantic crab live on both water and land, they mostly spend more time on land than in the sea, it is the largest land-living arthropod in the world.

The crab posses large clamps strong enough to snap the bones of any attacker it gets hold of. According to research, the coconut crab pincers are some of the world’s most powerful and most dangerous weapon in the animal kingdom. The grip of the claws is likened to that of a bite from a lion’s jaws.

The coconut crab, Mbudya Island Tanzania | Image: DTrip

As the name connotes, coconut crabs feed mainly on coconuts, hence why they climb trees so they can reach coconuts. The crabs can climb almost anything, that can be climbed. The pincers it posses enable it to be able to grab hold of anything for hours – be it branches of a tree, walls of a home or the chains within a fence. The process at which they open up coconuts is unnerving, as they can tear a coconut apart with just their bare claws.

Although, coconuts aren’t the only food the gigantic specie is said to feed on. Reports have shown that the coconut crab feeds off on the flesh of other creatures. The crab has been known to hunt and kill birds, attack and eat live pigs. The crab would climb to the top of trees, to attack birds and drag them to underground burrows where it digs as its dwelling place.

National Geographic Explorer Mark Laidre describes the attack strategy as a horrific scene. He once witnessed a coconut crab attack a >>>>continue to read from here and view more photos

Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by zoer(m): 8:33am On Mar 05, 2020
This one go break Buha.ri bones...

1 Like

Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by dawnomike(m): 8:45am On Mar 05, 2020
Grandmaster of crabs!!!

1 Like

Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by siwhoh(m): 9:15am On Mar 05, 2020
I miss eating crabs
Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by Olayinka777(m): 8:32pm On Mar 06, 2020
siwhoh:
I miss eating crabs
Me too!
To over 15 years I tasted crab last.
I grew up in an area in Lagos called Iwaya around Unilag,crab was an everyday thing then.

1 Like

Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by Menace2Society(m): 12:29am On Mar 07, 2020
zoer:
This one go break Buha.ri bones...
Which Buha.ri?
Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:47am On Mar 08, 2020
And one nicompoop will seat at one side and say THERE IS NO GOD.
THERE IS GOD
Re: Meet The World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones by NaijadrivaCars: 5:58pm On Mar 08, 2020
shocked shocked shocked

Seen on Natgeowild

(1) (Reply)

Puff Puff Mix / My Garri Doesn't Swell :( / How Much Is A Big Tuber Of Yam Sold In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.