Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,146 members, 7,835,835 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? (1547 Views)

Flags, Coats Of Arms, Symbols And Monuments Of Nigerian States (2023) / No More Civil Security Again Ooooh � / Ihedioha Begins Demolition Of Monuments Built By Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 10:45pm On Mar 11, 2020
It's weird there's few civil war monuments. There's nothing stopping any tier of government from dedicating a street, erecting statues or teaching history of the event. The controversy shouldn't be a big excuse when figures like Dan Fodio have a university named after them. In the United states there's lots of confederate monuments still around despite being controversial.

What's most interesting is how former eastern region states like Imo have none. The state build statues to commemorate African leaders and left out civil war figures. The national war museum in Abia could be counted as civil war museum.

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by budaatum: 10:59pm On Mar 11, 2020
I think its to do with the "No conquered, No vanquished" policy. Last time I checked they weren't even teaching civil war in Nigerian schools.

We don't want to glorify it, I guess. If Biafraland sets up monuments, Nigeria might drown them in monuments of their own which would only increase the hatred most have for each other.

3 Likes

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 5:50am On Mar 12, 2020
budaatum:
I think its to do with the "No conquered, No vanquished" policy. Last time I checked they weren't even teaching civil war in Nigerian schools.

We don't want to glorify it, I guess. If Biafraland sets up monuments, Nigeria might drown them in monuments of their own which would only increase the hatred most have for each other.

State dont mandate history because they dont care. It doesn't take much to budget money to pay teachers and buy textbooks. Hopefully they start caring in the future.

I can see your point. It is kind of dumb since people like Buhari who's a civil war veteran have a statue in Imo. Even if both sides decide to build monuments it doesn't matter really. Im guessing there's just not much pride or demand currently.

Personally I wouldn't mind erecting statue in Akwa Ibom of Effiong and Gowon shaking hands ending war. That would be agreat symbol of peace.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by nlPoster: 6:00am On Mar 12, 2020
And where did you see a war monument that brought about the thread?

You'd better not be stalking people.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 1:20pm On Mar 12, 2020
Bianca ojukwu was quoted saying Igbo leaders aren't honored well. I agree with her sentiment especially on civil war. She should tell her state and local governments to do do little stuff. Name a school afte some of people. The FG done some stuff like conplete Zik's Mausoleum.

“It has always been an issue on how to immortalise great men, especially of Igbo extraction.

“I think individuals; organisations and institutions should sit down and think of enduring monument for such great people.Such monument should not just be in making statutes to remember the dead.

“It should involve setting up of projects that show the person’s philosophies, ideologies and all the things he believed in life. Such beliefs, philosophies, ideologies should have a place they are discussed, espoused, promoted and investigated,”

Bianca Ojukwu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
They haven't erected monuments of the civil war, they won't let us hear word on Nairaland.

If they now put up edifices perpetually reminding a people that they lost a war, what do you think will happen?

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 1:33pm On Mar 12, 2020
FrLukas:
They haven't erected monuments of the civil war, they won't let us hear word on Nairaland.

If they now put up edifices perpetually reminding a people that they lost a war, what do you think will happen?

Nothing going to happen except a few people complaining. Are they your masters that you need permission before acting? The people that matter are the ones in local community that are paying the project. Nobody complaining about Abia civil war museum that has hundres of tourist.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by ObaOduaa: 1:40pm On Mar 12, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

[/s]

5 Likes

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 5:37pm On Mar 12, 2020
Bump
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

Nothing going to happen except a few people complaining. Are they your masters that you need permission before acting? The people that matter are the ones in local community that are paying the project. Nobody complaining about Abia civil war museum that has hundres of tourist.

So what other monuments are you looking for?

You should have asked the former governor of Imo state, the statue moulder to mould some statues then.

I think the museum and the corroding vehicle in those pictures are plenty enough.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
FrLukas:

You should have asked the former governor of Imo state, the statue moulder to mould some statues then.

I think the museum and the corroding vehicle in those pictures are plenty enough.

I already suggested one for Philip Effiong in Akwa Ibom. The current imo governor could always add more. If you think there's enough that's a better answer.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by ObaOduaa: 7:42pm On Mar 12, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by iammo(m): 7:47pm On Mar 12, 2020
nobody wants to be reminded of his failure, no ibo leader would want to be reminded of the nightmare of 3 million massacre

ibo kids want to here the story badly thinking its filled with heroic adventure, but truly when they get to know, they might suffer from PTSD

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Coldie(m): 8:38pm On Mar 12, 2020
Another Igbo thread
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
-

2 Likes

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 8:51pm On Mar 12, 2020
iammo:
nobody wants to be reminded of his failure, no ibo leader would want to be reminded of the nightmare of 3 million massacre

ibo kids want to here the story badly thinking its filled with heroic adventure, but truly when they get to know, they might suffer from PTSD

I can see that point. Even the current secessionist haven't brought up the idea. The do remembrance day to honor dead but they're not interested in this.

Lol at the PTSD over an event you never experienced. War should be told in that manner. It's a bloodbath that should be avoided in favor of dialogue when possible. In most cases it's just unnecessary madness and savagery. There's plenty good movies like the Fog of War that illustrate that.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by iammo(m): 9:06pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

I can see that point. Even the current secessionist haven't brought up the idea. The do remembrance day to honor dead but they're not interested in this.

Lol at the PTSD over an event you never experienced. War should be told in that manner. It's a bloodbath that should be avoided in favor of dialogue when possible. In most cases it's just unnecessary madness and savagery. There's plenty good movies like the Fog of War that illustrate that.

For someone who had read books on the war, and read archived news articles on day to day activities for the 3 years, personally there is no way to white wash such memory, it isn't Tutsi vs Hutus which was straight forward.. it was multi ethnic, ibos killing and getting killed, both guilty of war crimes and also victims of war crimes, children being drafted to war and death with no food or basic military gadget, massacres in many southsouther villages , mass rape, mass looting... honestly just as Ojukwu (someone who rebelled against his father and brough his family bankruptcy) once said it was a needless experience in out national history better left untold

what you would find if you dig deeper, who Ojukwu truly was right kings college days and from his days studying history in cambrige, what his father thinks of him

Obasanjo's brutality to soldiers whi dare to go back from war front

Murtalas ruthlessness

Adekunle black scorpions crime

Ojukwus war crime against kids soldiers while he was comfortable in bunkers hiding out the war

Ojukwu's international cartel of drugs, oil and arm trade with his vetnamise war mercinaries backers

Adekunle's drug ring

Murtala's CBN robbery ring

Mass Cannibalism in the East

Azikwe most respected ibo leader's opposition and radical stand on ojukwu's biafra
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 9:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
iammo:

For someone who had read books on the war, and read archived news articles on day to day activities for the 3 years, personally there is no way to white wash such memory, it isn't Tutsi vs Hutus which was straight forward.. it was multi ethnic, ibos killing and getting killed, both guilty of war crimes and also victims of war crimes, children being drafted to war and death with no food or basic military gadget, massacres in many southsouther villages , mass rape, mass looting... honestly just as Ojukwu (someone who rebelled against his father and brough his family bankruptcy) once said it was a needless experience in out national history better left untold

what you would find if you dig deeper, who Ojukwu truly was right kings college days and from his days studying history in cambrige, what his father thinks of him

Obasanjo's brutality to soldiers who dare to go back from war front

Murtalas ruthlessness

Adekunle black scorpions crime

Ojukwus war crime against kids soldiers while he was comfortable in bunkers hiding out the war

Ojukwu's international cartel of drugs, oil and arm trade with his vetnamise war mercinaries backers

Adekunle's drug ring

Murtala's CBN robbery ring

There's no need to white wash history. Everything you described is whst yiu find any way or covert operation.You can find the same thing reading about WW2 its gruesome and terrible on both sides. It was one my favorite part of AP history back in highschool. History should never be forgotten and left out. It provides lessons and context to current world. History education is local and state issue since FG hasnt mandated it currently.

All those topics sound interesting. It would take too long to cover it highschool class. That seem more like college level course.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by iammo(m): 9:28pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

There's no need to white wash history. Everything you described is whst yiu find any way or covert operation.You can find the same thing reading about WW2 its gruesome and terrible on both sides. It was one my favorite part of AP history back in highschool. History should never be forgotten and left out. It provides lessons and context to current world. History education is local and state issue since FG hasnt mandated it currently.

All those topics sound interesting. It would take too long to cover it highschool class. That seem more like college level course.

well even If it sounds interesting to you, the more you talk about how Sarduna was killed by Nzeogwu the more the Northerners plan a renewed attack on Ibos on North.. incase you don't know Nigeria suffered such account of riots sparked by this history with as high as 50,000 massacred in the North

US would never declassify some information even if the world goes down in flames in other to keep peace, same way UK would never give details of its gory African expendition
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 9:38pm On Mar 12, 2020
iammo:

well even If it sounds interesting to you, the more you talk about how Sarduna was killed by Nzeogwu the more the Northerners plan a renewed attack on Ibos on North.. incase you don't know Nigeria suffered such account of riots sparked by this history with as high as 50,000 massacred in the North

US would never declassify some information even if the world goes down in flames in other to keep peace, same way UK would never give details of its gory African expendition

That's pretty stupid thing do over an even that happened decades ago. The rioted over a history lesson being taught? If they dont want to teach history it's fine other states can will. Their foolishness is their issue at end of the day.

The US actually does declassify information all the times about their deep dark secrets. The gulf of tonkin being fake incident being a major one. Alot of people died as result of being lied into war. Nothing happened after it released decades after the fact.

1 Like

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by iammo(m): 9:46pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

That's pretty stupid thing do over an even that happened decades ago. The rioted over a history lesson being taught? If they dont want to teach history it's fine other states can will. Their foolishness is their issue at end of the day.

Not when Arrewa youths jointly issued a quite notice for ibos to vacate the North when Ipob circulated news of death of Buhari their new Sarduna or recordings and music of evils thay paln to do with Ibos if Buhari dies, even A Governors kid from North openly tweeted his disdain for Ibos ..

I like History, but with our current Poverty level, literacy level and violence level, it would be foolish to breed a new set of vilent group who just learn history and are on personal vendetta

even as developed and secured US is, some white supremacist are still nursing evil agenda towards races they feel inferior about, what would happen in Nigeria?
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

Personally I wouldn't mind erecting statue in Akwa Ibom of Effiong and Gowon shaking hands ending war. That would be agreat symbol of peace.
Da ato uke? No Akwa ibomite wants anything to do with Biaafraud.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 9:58pm On Mar 12, 2020
iammo:

Not when Arrewa youths jointly issued a quite notice for ibos to vacate the North when Ipob circulated news of Buhari their new Sarduna or recordings and music of evils thay paln to do with Ibos if Buhari dies, even A Governors kid from North openly tweeted his disdain for Ibos ..

I like History, but with our current Poverty level, literacy level and violence level, it would be foolish to breed a new set of vilent group who just learn history and are on personal vendetta

even as developed and secured US is, some white supremacist are still nursing evil agenda towards races they feel inferior about, what would happen in Nigeria?

Nothing will happen in Nigeria. You know these guys are pussies or do nothings. What has anyone done wbout the currupt politicans, bandits, herdsman boko haram etc. All the current day problems haven't led to a revolution or riots. It's not going to decade old history that sparks anything profound.

Lol what has arrewa youth punks done to stop the murders? They dont give quit notice a few thousand armed men but they have power act on tens of thousands of people. Everyone is Rambo on the internet. The white supremacist in he US are negligible issue just read crime statistics if you dont believe me.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by iammo(m): 10:04pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

Nothing will happen in Nigeria. You know these guys are pussies or do nothings. What has anyone done wbout the currupt politicans, bandits, herdsman boko haram etc. All the current day problems haven't led to a revolution or riots. It's not going to decade old history that sparks anything profound.

Lol what has arrewa youth punks done to stop the murders? They dont give quit notice a few thousand armed men but they have power act on tens of thousands of people. Everyone is Rambo on the internet. The white supremacist in he US are negligible issue just read crime statistics if you dont believe me.

look man I pity your line of thought and ignorance of what is happening.. without history on sarduna grand son of dan fodio, fulanis have massacred thousand in south and middle belt, without revealing the religious dimension of Nzeogwu coup which mostly targeted Northern muslim leaders, Boko haram is wrecking havoc.. lets now go on and make movies and start teaching kids what happened to their ancestors and laugh calling them puxcies who wouldn't act then you would see the true war, uncivil war after civil war..

Nnamdi Kanu's rambling since 2014 had caused a couple of deaths running into hundreds through his partisan ethnocentric broadcast, do you think if all region had different curriculum and history we wont tell our stories in hatefull manners enough to cause major war

what we need is renewable energy , let UN grant our right in having Nuclear plants, let us have our crudes traded for commodities and not manipulated dollars this are what we want and not some history on war or war movies
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 10:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
iammo:

look man I pity your line of thought and ignorance of what is happening.. without history on sarduna son of dan fodio, fulanis have massacred thousand in south and middle belt, without revealing the religious dimension of Nzeogwu coup which mostly targeted Northern muslim leaders, Boko haram is wrecking havoc.. lets now go on and make movies and start teaching kids what happened to their ancestors and laugh calling them puxcies who wouldn't act then you would see the true war, uncivil war after civil war..

Nnamdi Kanu's rambling since 2014 had caused a couple of deaths running into hundreds through his partisan ethnocentric broadcast, do you think if all region had different curriculum and history we wont tell our stories in hatefull manners enough to cause major war

what we need is renewable energy , let UN grant our right in having Nuclear plants, let us have our crudes traded for commodities and not manipulated dollars this are what we want and not some history on war or war movies

The are pussies what have the done sbout the issues I mentioned. You dont have an answer to that. I posted the story of dan Fodio the other day nothing happened but furious debating. It was front page news did the crime rate jump? Like I said their foolishness is their problem. Im not demanding history be federally mandated subject afterall.

It's like claiming the hausa's will suddenly revolt and dissolve the fulani monarchy. Just because Dan Fodio conqured them centuries prior. I believe these pussies when they go to war over their current problems. Until them the keyboard warriors are just typing.

Lol did ksnu order people to kill? If he did the FG should add it to his charges. History books are written by historians. I dont fear hateful teaching but if you do that's fine. The UN never blocked your right to have nuclear power. Pay the Russian theyll build it. If you want to trade crude for commodities direct it at FG.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Gandollaar(f): 10:27pm On Mar 12, 2020
iammo:

Keep regurgitating.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by iammo(m): 10:30pm On Mar 12, 2020
Gandollaar:
Keep regurgitating.

get well soon
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 10:37pm On Mar 12, 2020
dopboy98:
Da ato uke? No Akwa ibomite wants anything to do with Biaafraud.

Akwa Ibom, You would want to honor a person who didn't run and ended the war? It would be better that that the dove peace monument.

Jetleeeee welcome back.

Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 12, 2020
Blue3k:

Akwa Ibom, You would want to honor a person who didn't run and ended the war? It would be better that that the dove peace monument.

Jetleeeee welcome back.

Ayyy big man. Long time

Just peeping. Lol.

I see you're still doing the Lord's work
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 10:52pm On Mar 12, 2020
Jetleeeee:

Ayyy big man. Long time

Just peeping. Lol.

I see you're still doing the Lord's work

Thank you. I miss your troll threads. Nobody elses jokes and gifs were are as funny as yours.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 13, 2020
Blue3k:

Thank you. I miss your troll threads. Nobody elses jokes and gifs were are as funny as yours.

Thanks, Bro.

I just got bored with the whole thing.
Re: Why Aren't There More Civil War Monuments? by Blue3k(m): 3:12pm On Mar 13, 2020
Final bump.

(1) (2) (Reply)

There’s Cure For Coronavirus, Allow Nigerians Go About Their Businesses – Group / Why The New UNO State Of Cameroun Is A Danger To “one Nigeria". / Nnamdi Kanu Is Responsible For The Arrest Of Ibrahim Magu:- Yerima Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.