Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,735 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri (42894 Views)

Petition: Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Sanwo-olu / Court Orders Substituted Service Of Disqualification Suit On Ize-iyamu / Osun Election: Tribunal orders substituted service on INEC, Oyetola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 12, 2020
fergie001:
Very true....
so which tribunal is senatordave talking about?
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by ubest1(m): 7:44pm On Mar 12, 2020
For those asking what court doing again after SC judgement. The SC judgement that removed APC candidate was pre-election case, now election tribunal will continue as after election case

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by fergie001: 7:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lostz:
so which tribunal is senatordave talking about?
For now, only the Court can help us.

Diri was announced winner by INEC on the 13th of Feb., 2020.

We don't know whether this man's case is statute-barred by virtue of Section 133 of the Electoral Act 2010 or by virtue of the SC declaration.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Cherrybae(f): 7:49pm On Mar 12, 2020
As a senior and experienced lawyer with over 20yrs in the Bar, I can assure you that this petition has a great merit .
The deputy gov senator Lawrence will be disqualified for submitting false information just like the APC deputy gov.

Diri and PDP should not rejoice yet.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Firstorderwizard(m): 7:51pm On Mar 12, 2020
Cherrybae:
As a senior and experienced lawyer with over 20yrs in the Bar, I can assure you that this petition has a great merit .
The deputy gov senator Lawrence will be disqualified for submitting false information just like the APC deputy gov.

You mean experienced charge and bail lawyer

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 12, 2020
fergie001:

For now, only the Court can help us.

Diri was announced winner by INEC on the 13th of Feb., 2020.

We don't know whether this man's case is statute-barred by virtue of Section 133 of the Electoral Act 2010 or by virtue of the SC declaration.

Opuama, in a petition he filed through his counsels, Pius Danba, Aluzu Ebikebuna; and Ebi Robert, further prayed the court to cancel the November 16, 2019 governorship election and order a fresh poll alleging that the election conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) failed to comply with the 1999 Constitution.

the election was on November 16th. election was not on February 13th. I think the court will throw it out as usual

1 Like

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by TRUSTEDGUY: 7:54pm On Mar 12, 2020
Awol1:

Wetin election Tribunal still dey do for somebody wey Supreme court declare governor?

Isn't that abuse of court process?

Abi the lawyers wan chop their own fine ni?

Lawless Country
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by sylve11: 7:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
Firstorderwizard:

You mean experienced charge and bail lawyer

Easy man, easy... shocked cool
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by alen4smith(m): 8:00pm On Mar 12, 2020
Awol1:

Wetin election Tribunal still dey do for somebody wey Supreme court declare governor?

what supreme court determined was a pre- election issue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by fergie001: 8:00pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lostz:

Opuama, in a petition he filed through his counsels, Pius Danba, Aluzu Ebikebuna; and Ebi Robert, further prayed the court to cancel the November 16, 2019 governorship election and order a fresh poll alleging that the election conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) failed to comply with the 1999 Constitution.

the election was on November 16th. election was not on February 13th. I think the court will throw it out as usual
Section 133(1) of the 2010 Electoral Act
.......An election petition shall be filed within 21 days after the date of the declaration of results of the elections”.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by jaxxy(m): 8:04pm On Mar 12, 2020
senatordave1:
Diri must go
m

Bt it doesn’t make sense now, after the the Supreme Court has ruled and there was no talk or reason for a cancellation of the elections.

Let’s not make a mockery of our justice/court system.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 12, 2020
fergie001:

.....Section 133(1) of the 2010 Electoral Act
An election petition shall be filed within 21 days after the date of the declaration of results of the elections”.

"This is the confusing part"
the result were declared back then in November. what we have in February is not an election. the court changed the winner.

is he going to argue that the election in November was flawed or the supreme Court judgement recognizing a new winner is flawed?

we will have to wait for the tribunal

3 Likes

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by fergie001: 8:17pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lostz:
the result were declared back then in November. what we have in February is not an election. the court changed the winner.

is he going to argue that the election in November was flawed or the supreme Court judgement recognizing a new winner is flawed?

...that's why I said the Court will help us.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by wetmenow: 8:33pm On Mar 12, 2020
Why are they wasting my MB with this nonsense.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Brunicekid(m): 8:36pm On Mar 12, 2020
Awol1:

No... This particular matter is a FRESH CASE.

Definitely, it has started with the "election tribunals". So, it will progress like that to the "Supreme Court", as the lawyers deem it fit.

3 Likes

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2020
Awol1:

Ask and ye shall be answered so that thy ignorance will not persist
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 8:42pm On Mar 12, 2020
Cherrybae:

Yes ohh
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by fergie001: 8:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
senatordave1:

Yes ohh
Hahahahahahaha...... Someone resting somewhere in Umuahia .... grin
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by eldoradoxx: 8:49pm On Mar 12, 2020
INEC declared Diri winner of the election on 14th February 2020, therefore the 21 days within which a petition ought to be filed in challenge of Diri's return began on 14th Feb. Recall that the Supreme Court was careful not to declare Diri as winner, it only ordered INEC to subtract APC votes and make a return on the candidate with the highest number of votes and with requisite constitutional spread.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 8:51pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lostz:

The law says 21 days after the declaration of results not conduct of elections.therefore,the concurrent and subsisting declaration is that made on the 13th.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 12, 2020
Awol1:

What the supreme Court ruled over was a pre-election matter over forgery.

This is a post-election matter...that Tribunal usually sit on and will still go up to supreme Court

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
eldoradoxx:
INEC declared Diri winner of the election on 14th February 2020, therefore the 21 days within which a petition ought to be filed in challenge of Diri's return began on 14th Feb. Recall that the Supreme Court was careful not to declare Diri as winner, it only ordered INEC to subtract APC votes and make a return on the candidate with the highest number of votes and with requisite constitutional spread.
Yes,you got it.diri cant escape it

1 Like

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
senatordave1:

The law says 21 days after the declaration of results not conduct of elections.therefore,the concurrent and subsisting declaration is that made on the 13th.
winner declared in February is certified by the supreme Court. or you are trying to tell me he is asking the tribunal to cancel supreme Court declared winner?

declaration of results were done in November my brother. I don't have time for unnecessary argument this evening. let us wait for the tribunal
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 9:02pm On Mar 12, 2020
jaxxy:
m

Bt it doesn’t make sense now, after the the Supreme Court has ruled and there was no talk or reason for a cancellation of the elections.

Let’s not make a mockery of our justice/court system.
Oga,it will not make sense to a layman or ignorant fellows but to those legally sound,it makes sense.diri was made governor because the apc candidacy was voided based on non qualification through a pre-election case.that declaration does not prevent any other suit by other parties against diri.if the supreme court finds out that diri or his deputy wasn't qualified,they will also sack them.
The same reason why apc lost bayelsa is also why there is a tribunal case against diri.there is no mockery here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lostz:
I thought election petition must be filled 21 days after election and judgement delivered 180 days after?
This APC govt will never smell one naira of Bayelsa State oil money.
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 9:08pm On Mar 12, 2020
Please what's this article really about. I've read it but I'm still confused
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by jaxxy(m): 9:09pm On Mar 12, 2020
senatordave1:

Oga,it will not make sense to a layman or ignorant fellows but to those legally sound,it makes sense.diri was made governor because the apc candidacy was voided based on non qualification through a pre-election case.that declaration does not prevent any other suit by other parties against diri.if the supreme court finds out that diri or his deputy wasn't qualified,they will also sack them.
The same reason why apc lost bayelsa is also why there is a tribunal case against diri.there is no mockery here.

It is a mockery ooo and a very big one cos the supreme court that declared diri winnner should have simply ordered a new election instead of declaring winner and asking him to be sworn in. I don’t need to be a lawyer to know this fact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 9:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lostz:
winner declared in February is certified by the supreme Court. or you are trying to tell me he is asking the tribunal to cancel supreme Court declared winner?

declaration of results were done in November my brother. I don't have time for unnecessary argument this evening. let us wait for the tribunal
If you dont have time for argument,stop quoting me.the declaration of November is hereby rendered null and void and has been overtaken by the February declaration just as the declaration of lyon is invalidated except you are saying that Lyon is the governor.see below;

Section 285 (5 – cool of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) provides as follows: a. An election petition shall be filed within 21 days after the date of declaration of results of the election; b. An election Tribunal shall deliver its judgment in writing within 180 days from the date of the filing of the petition;

1 Like

Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 9:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Subsea:
This APC govt will never smell one naira of Bayelsa State oil money.
And pdp will smell it abi
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by senatordave1(m): 9:18pm On Mar 12, 2020
Lucid1:
Please what's this article really about. I've read it but I'm still confused
Okay,a party called l.m has taken diri and pdp to court or the tribunal.after filing of papers,they are supposed to serve them with court papers directly but the appellants complained that diri and pdp have been evading or dodging service.so they applied to the course to allow them serve them through substituted means or impersonally or indirectly and the tribunal have agreed.after this,the case will start properly.
The case is about whether the deputy governor forged his nysc or not
Re: Election Tribunal Orders Substituted Service On Governor Diri by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 12, 2020
Awol1:

Supreme Court didn't declare them winner, but disqualified the winner, giving room for the runner up.

Definitely this guy is going, same way he feed the other

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Orders On The Walls Of Bruce's Property Wipped Off With Paint / Soldiers Torture Residents Of Cross River Community For Rejecting Herdsmen / Shirtless Beach Photo: Reno Omokri Replies His Critics (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.