Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,794 members, 7,851,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:08 AM

Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion (2833 Views)

Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by omongbatl: 6:09am On Dec 23, 2010
‘River Niger Dredging Nears Completion’
From Dele Ogbodo in Abuja , 12.22.2010

Fct

Minister of Transport, Mr. Yusuf Suleiman, yesterday stated that the dredging of the lower River Niger which started in September last year from Warri in Delta State to Baro in Niger State is nearly 100 percent complete.
He said what is left is for the Federal Government to commence operationalisation of the dredged channels along the river.
The minister therefore called on investors to take advantage of the newly dredged channel by investing in it.
According to him, the completion of the dredged channel will take some pressure off the roads so that people can now begin to use the river for movement of goods and services.

The minister spoke to journalists in Onitsha after a four -hour boat ride from Lokoja in Kogi State to Onitsha in Anambra State.
Expressing satisfaction at the timely completion of the project, Suleiman said: "Now let me say something, first of all because there have been cries from many quarters that we have stopped work on the dredging of the River Niger.  I want to confirm to all of you present who rode on the boat with me from Lokoja to Onitsha here that we have almost concluded the dredging of the River Niger."

He said the Federal Government has almost 95 percent  to 100 percent completed the project right from Lots 1 to 5.
Suleiman stated: "I’m glad to say that the boat with which we traveled today had a depth of about 2 metres and the required dredged channels is about 2.5 metres,” adding that   “if the boat  can do that from Lokoja down to Onitsha  it is a clear testimony that the dredging is almost over.”

The minister urged the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) to aggressively embark on the marketing of the investment opportunities on the channels of the lower River Niger which has a length of 575 kilometres spanning eight states across the nation.

He said: "What I want to do and what I want to say is this: that we have finished the dredging is one thing and for the general public, particularly the traders, the shippers here in Onistha, to put it to use is another thing."
Suleiman called on importers of goods into Nigeria through all the entry points either in Apapa or Tin Can Island port in Lagos or at Onne port, Calabar or Warri, adding that it is much easier, safer, cheaper and better for the nation if they use the dredged channels along the River Niger.

He added that the channels could be used to ferry up to 1,000 tons of vessels or tankers dealing in petroleum products.
He urged Nigerians to wake up and insist on petroleum products marketing companies to make use of the dredged channels, instead of heavy duty trailers, so as to take the pressure off the roads and reduce the damage done to them.
According to him, with the dredging of the lower River Niger from Warri to Lokoja, the waterways are cheaper, faster and more secure, especially with the patrol of the channels by the Nigeria Police and the Nigerian Navy.

He added that the Onitsha port, which is also at the completion stage, will boost the business activities in the area, pointing out that the commencement of the use of the ports will not only reduce cost in business but also reduce the pressures in the neighbouring ports around the nation.
"This is a huge opportunity provided by the huge investment by government in developing the port for commercial activities," he said.

He said government has provided facilities to stimulate economic growth in the area while it is now left for the people to rise to the occasion by making use of the infrastructure provided in the area.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by chyz(m): 6:17am On Dec 23, 2010
Thank ya lawwwwd! smiley smiley smiley smiley:

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32rqhqBVpyk
[/flash]
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by EzeUche0(m): 6:21am On Dec 23, 2010
Another step in the right direction.

The East is moving along.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by aljharem11(m): 6:22am On Dec 23, 2010
this is good for our people

well done jonathan smiley
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by oyinda3(f): 6:23am On Dec 23, 2010
good news
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by EzeUche0(m): 6:24am On Dec 23, 2010
Igbos come home.

Leave the North, leave the South-West.

The East beckons.

Enugu International Airport is complete

Onitsha Port is almost completed.

This is all we need.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by mensdept: 6:24am On Dec 23, 2010
So what does all this mean?
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by chyz(m): 6:26am On Dec 23, 2010
mens dept:

So what does all this mean?

It means we dey decamp back for East. grin
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by Musiwa13: 6:27am On Dec 23, 2010
no ship would go there, it is just a aste of money. how many ship visit calabar port .
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by omongbatl: 6:27am On Dec 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

Igbos come home.

Leave the North, leave the South-West.

The East beckons.

Enugu International Airport is complete

Onitsha Port is almost completed.

This is all we need.

Not yet
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by EzeUche0(m): 6:28am On Dec 23, 2010
Musiwa,

We IGBOS dictate business.

If Igbos are not in Lagos, business would dry up.

Onitsha is in Igboland. You understand what that means?
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by mensdept: 6:30am On Dec 23, 2010
chyz:

It means we dey decamp back for East. grin

Are you sure? Is it just talk? Based on what I've seen about Enugu Airport, it looks nothing like the one in Lagos and Abuja. So this so-called completion of southern ports doesnt really seem motivating.

I could be wrong
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by oyinda3(f): 6:30am On Dec 23, 2010
wow this actually really sounds cool. good for Nigeria!!
we'll have another lagos in onitsha.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by chyz(m): 6:33am On Dec 23, 2010
mens dept:

Are you sure? Is it just talk? Based on what I've seen about Enugu Airport, it looks nothing like the one in Lagos and Abuja. So this so-called completion of southern ports doesnt really seem motivating.

I could be wrong

That is not the whole enugu airport that you saw in the pic.Also, it has international status but has only completed phase 1 of the project.Phase 2 is due to be completed in june of next year.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by mensdept: 6:34am On Dec 23, 2010
^^^^^ I hope so O'

That pix looked like one kind village airstrip
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 23, 2010
mens dept:

^^^^^ I hope so O'

hehehe.

@post

Good news.

Time for the almajiris to also decamp to the east. Another pilgrimage.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by chyz(m): 6:42am On Dec 23, 2010
mens dept:

^^^^^ I hope so O'

I know lol. I will post the u the article to confirm what i said.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by chyz(m): 6:44am On Dec 23, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

hehehe.

@post

Good news.

Time for the almajiris to also decamp to the east. Another pilgrimage.

so they can starve. They know we are republican in the east.if you don't work or you aint gettin sh*t lol.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by EzeUche0(m): 6:45am On Dec 23, 2010
Almajiri do not give Igboland problem.

No wahala from them.

Dey are welcomed to provide cheap labor for Igbo overlords.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by mensdept: 6:47am On Dec 23, 2010
chyz:

I know lol. I will post the u the article to confirm what i said.

I dey wait
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by Nobody: 6:47am On Dec 23, 2010
chyz:

so they can starve. They know we are republican in the east.if you don't work or you aint gettin excreta lol.

You no fit.

won bi yin da be [I know you understand yoruba].

we will help them pack to the East. Not only that, even the SW go come chop.

EzeUche0:

No wahala from them.

keep quiet when your elders are talking.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by oyinda3(f): 6:48am On Dec 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

No wahala from them.

Dey are welcomed to provide labor for Igbo overlords.

even with disability such as blindness and amputations?
what about the children. u talking about child labor?
tongue

we already have a lagos in the SW, abuja in the North. It will be great to see a big city in the SE. that would be perfect. jokes aside
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by aljharem11(m): 6:48am On Dec 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

No wahala from them.

and what is the meaning of this angry angry

what overlord,,,,,,,,,  kai kai kai angry angry angry angry angry

we northerners don suffer angry
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by EzeUche0(m): 6:49am On Dec 23, 2010
They shall all be put to use.

Not a body be spared.

Labor is labor. You beg u starve in the East.

If they do not like it, there is always Yorubaland grin grin grin
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by omongbatl: 6:52am On Dec 23, 2010
oyinda.:

we already have a lagos in the SW, abuja in the North. It will be great to see a big city in the SE. that would be perfect. jokes aside

I love that line of thought. P.H., though not exactly in the SE, is a fitting big city just steps away from the SE. The SE proper will get there too. Patience.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by mensdept: 6:52am On Dec 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

Not a body be spared.

If they do not like it, there is always Yorubaland  grin grin grin

Let the SE first get these projects completed before you start on "they shall be put to use" I beg.

Na minister of transport be Igbo?
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 23, 2010
alj harem1:

and what is the meaning of this angry angry

what overlord,,,,,,,,,  kai kai kai angry angry angry angry angry

we northerners don suffer angry

You have not suffered,

You guys will prosper anywhere, esp the SE.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by aljharem11(m): 6:54am On Dec 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

Not a body be spared.

If they do not like it, there is always Yorubaland  grin grin grin

i think u are actually on some sort of drug

what work i ask,,,,what work angry angry angry
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by EzeUche0(m): 6:56am On Dec 23, 2010
Work is work.

U should be happy we Igbos are kind to accept all workers.

If you have a body, u can be worked.

If dey have no arm, dey can sell pure wata on dey head.
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by aljharem11(m): 6:59am On Dec 23, 2010
EzeUche0:

Work is work.

U should be happy we Igbos are kind to accept all workers.

If you have a body, u can be worked.

If dey have no arm, dey can sell pure wata on dey head.

ezeuche so if YOU have no hands can u still sell pure water
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by chyz(m): 7:00am On Dec 23, 2010
Re: Boom For SE: River Niger Dredging, Onitsha Port Near Completion by oyinda3(f): 7:00am On Dec 23, 2010
omongbatl:

I love that line of thought. P.H., though not exactly in the SE, is a fitting big city just steps away from the SE. The SE proper will get there too. Patience.

I don't like your username though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Ouk, Senator Nkechi Nwaogu Behind Abia Awakening, Abia People’s V / Military Takeover Imminent In Nigeria - SENATOR DECLARES!! / Breaking News Ameachi And His Assembly Men Apply For Asylum From Britain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.