Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

What To Do When DISCOS Extort You - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What To Do When DISCOS Extort You (487 Views)

Don’t Allow Fraudsters Use My Name To Extort You – Alex Otti Tells Aba Traders / Dangote Says His Ex-Girlfriend Tried To Extort $5 Million From Him / We Are No Longer Responsible For Electricity Meters - Discos Tell Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by hairyman(m): 9:08pm On Mar 14, 2020
Ladies and gentlemen, do not allow yourself to be cowed by any DISCO.
NERC works, efficiently. What all these DISCOs bank on is your ignorance of that fact and the psychological pulverization they cause by issuing these outlandish bills.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

Write a petition to the business manager of the unit covering your area. The letter must clearly state what you want. Specifically request for the review of your bills starting from a specific month.
Give details of your power supply if you can. Just make everything clear so they cannot deny by virtues of ambiguity. Attach all relevant bills.
When you go to submit the letter, make a photocopy. Demand that they sign "received" on the photocopy. Keep that copy intact!
Give the DISCO 15 working days, then write to NERC forum covering your area.

Again be very precise. Ask for a review and refund of excess bills you have been paying. There is not time limit: you can ask for review for 3 years back onwards.
Attach all the bills, the letter you wrote to the DISCO (remember that signed photocopy?) and any other relevant evidence (in my sojourn at NERC Ibadan against IBEDC, I calculated my normal energy consumption based on average power supply and the gadgets in my apartment and attached it to my letter)
NERC will invite you for arbitration with your DISCO. Be prepared, remember you will be arguing against crooks.
In my case the excessive bills was wiped at NERC Ibadan.

For my Lagos apartment, I got a refund of 104k after i wrote for a review and refund of 6 months bill or thereabout.

Note that it is a continuous struggle. Even after NERC has ruled in your favour the DISCO will act reasonable for a while then return to the exhortionist billing (a crook will always be a crook). Dont worry, give it time to make the fight worth your while then start over again, you will get your refund.

How fast NERC attends to your petition depends on the work load. In Lagos, it took almost 5 months, while at Ibadan, it was just 3 weeks.
But both times I got my money either back or debt deleted.

PLEASE SPREAD THIS MESSAGE EVERYWHERE.

WE NEED TO MAKE DISCOS responsible by showing them that they are wasting their time.

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by autofreak2020(m): 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2020
I commend your brevity, more people would love to speak up like you'd, but only few people know how to go about it. Thanks a lot.

I am Abimbola, Lead Strategist at Kobobrand.
We help business owners with free business growth hacks.
Re: What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by Ahmed0336(m): 10:07pm On Mar 14, 2020
My case was different. Wrote 5 times unfortunately nothing was done. Others can try just like Op said best of luck.
Re: What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by Runaway: 11:07pm On Mar 14, 2020
Nice o
Re: What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by trutht828: 9:14pm On Mar 15, 2020
Please lalasticala, these are the kind of things I think should be moved to the front page.
Re: What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by edoairways: 9:22pm On Mar 15, 2020
Op was just lucky. If the regulators were effective as buttressed by him, the discos would have complied with the directive from NERC concerning estimated billing. Just look how CBN and NCC are effective in check mating banks and telecom respectively. The persistent complains from customers in those sectors had reduced over time
Re: What To Do When DISCOS Extort You by ecolime(m): 2:53pm On May 15, 2020
Nice thread Hairyman.

Did you initially paid the outrageous bill to avoid disconnnection while pursuing refund on the side? And in what form did you get refund? Bank transfer or your metre was credited?

I messaged you in the thread I created on this.

(1) (Reply)

Couple Donates First Child As Offering To Barren Pastor / COVID-19: Electricity Billing Should Be Suspended! / Nigerians Who Top Up N100 Airtime, Have N5,000 Account Balance Will Get Cash –FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.