Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,912 members, 7,824,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow (37114 Views)

New Zealand: Police Seize Cocaine Enough To Supply The Country For 30 Yrs / Poland, Latvia, Lithuania And Estonia Closing Borders With Russia And Belarus / Chad's Army Dissolves Parliament, Government. Imposes Curfew, Shuts Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Nobody: 5:42am On Mar 17, 2020
philip0906:
Lol...Them go dey alright las las.

Our problems for here, big pass coronavirus...we have been battling lassa fever on a low, man made disasters (like the explosion yesterday), economic hardship, corrupt and inept government...we have coped just fine and still find a way through.

Even if the virus dey spread for naija (which I strongly suspect), na just mild symptoms majority go get and maybe lots of asymptomatic people. I mean, when you dey face all these kind problems for this country, plus acute malaria join, na coronavirus wan make you loose sleep?

Hopefully, in the next month or two, there will be a drop in cases and things can begin to get back to normal, so the media can allow us rest with the sensationalism.

My dear, ignorance is running riot in the Nigerian government. You are similarly spouting ignorance. Pray for mercy. This thing is not a joke.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by weoai(m): 5:43am On Mar 17, 2020
You spoke my mind.

No one is talking about the Lassa Fever outbreak... It is sad really.

philip0906:

Our problems for here, big pass coronavirus...we have been battling lassa fever on a low, man made disasters (like the explosion yesterday), economic hardship, corrupt and inept government...we have coped just fine and still find a way through.

Even if the virus dey spread for naija (which I strongly suspect), na just mild symptoms majority go get and maybe lots of asymptomatic people. I mean, when you dey face all these kind problems for this country, plus acute malaria join, na coronavirus wan make you loose sleep?

Hopefully, in the next month or two, there will be a drop in cases and things can begin to get back to normal, so the media can allow us rest with the sensationalism.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by philip0906(m): 5:50am On Mar 17, 2020
destinie2019:

My dear, ignorance is running riot in the Nigerian government. You are similarly spouting ignorance. Pray for mercy. This thing is not a joke.
What is not a joke? Coronavirus or what? Lassa fever has a double digit mortality rate but the world did not grind to a halt.

So what's the thing about coronavirus that is alien to us in Africa? Is it the symptoms or the effect? Our major concern in Africa, is the economic impact it will have...not coronavirus

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Roon9(m): 5:52am On Mar 17, 2020
sexylassie2:
Many of you are walking corpses but you don't know.

Lagos is the new Wuhan.

In my office, We are all working from home till the virus is contained.

Childish comment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:57am On Mar 17, 2020
id911:

Don't you think it's unhygienic for you to do the bolded?

nope it's been a standard for decades cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:59am On Mar 17, 2020
CanadaOrBust:
Well the Italian guy’s diagnosis had nothing to do with the airport. He was reported by the factory in Ogun when he got sick.

Italian dude pass through the airport because the airport screening is just temperature check, while we all know that a person can be contaminated and show no symptoms until much later after leaving the airport, like the Italian did. when the italian started showing symptoms, and his background was checked, they had to SEND HIM TO ISOLATION PLACE IN LAGOS for treatment. Ogun state did not have the capacity to take care of such person. now imagine how many people could be infected and left to their own device because, instead of checking a proper doctor (like Italian did) they go see some BS native doctor?!?!?!?!

B4 u test for corona u must first eliminate malaria, then other respiratory ailments, then look at the person’s itinerary. Otherwise you’d be wasting time and effort as virtually no Nigerian has corona.Believe me it is not easy to miss corona.
Other places have also dealt with this theory. See below

here enjoy:

The prevalence of malaria in Africa could complicate the diagnosis of novel coronavirus in the continent, said the epidemiologist leading the fight against the new disease in Nigeria.

Nigerian health officials are racing to prevent the spread of coronavirus after the first case of the illness in sub-Saharan Africa was identified last week in Lagos, the nation’s business hub. Since then only three more cases have been identified in Senegal and South Africa, while the number of infected have surged in other regions after the illness first appeared in China.

Similar symptoms such as body aches at the onset of both diseases could make it difficult to diagnose the coronavirus early on, said Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, the head of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

Already exhausted from testing for monkeypox and Lassa fever, Nigerian molecular bio-engineer Nnaemeka Ndodo had to work well past midnight earlier this month to find out if six Chinese construction workers were infected with the coronavirus.

Ndodo had to collect samples from a hospital an hour away in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, then wait for six hours to get the results in what’s one of only five laboratories able to test for the virus in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, with about 200 million people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-06/widespread-malaria-may-complicate-coronavirus-fight-in-africa

from the above in red we can clearly see that testing for COVID-19 in Nigeria is not that easy, nor it is easy to differentiate early from malaria, as you claim.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by pointstores(m): 5:59am On Mar 17, 2020
Nawa
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by wolfenstein(m): 6:00am On Mar 17, 2020
I have been reading alot of comment here and most of them are funny while most are educative. People who are insisting boarders should be closed, if they close it or declare a lock town, you will be the same people shouting for it to be opened. COVID-19 shouldn't make us pannick this way, it's already scientifically proven that it doesn't survive in an area of 28°c and most Nigerian states are above that. we should just be grateful it's not an influenza (airborne) but rather can be contacted by droplets which isn't bad. Please be positive and stay alive

7 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Ooye12: 6:01am On Mar 17, 2020
tysonnn:
Yet our fvcking government refuse to close our border.
when the virus enter the country we go face am together, they can’t travel as well thank God ..
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Nobody: 6:03am On Mar 17, 2020
ovadozes:
If this thing enters Nigeria, I swear it's going to be crazy. We may not be able to face it, countries with established health structure can't even contain it not to talk of our rotten healthcare system.
God save us.
What does it take to temporarily close our borders??
Greed for revenue is the reason why the Nigerian govt has refused to bar international flights; it's gonna consume us soon if proactive measures are not taken
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Cherez: 6:05am On Mar 17, 2020
ZombiePUNISHER:
Something West Africa would have done.

Now even Benin Republic got corona

That's a very bad news to Afonja land.... Those guys eat and breath.. Lasgidi
Must it get to this rubbish?
Nawa for you ooooo.
Can you just do things rationally?
Guy, you've destroyed whatever reasoning and reputation you've built here

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Jakumo(m): 6:05am On Mar 17, 2020
wolfenstein:
I have been reading alot of comment here and most of them are funny while most are educative. People who are insisting boarders should be closed, if they close it or declare a lock town, you will be the same people shouting for it to be opened. COVID-19 shouldn't make us pannick this way, it's already scientifically proven that it doesn't survive in an area of 28°c and most Nigerian states are above that. we should just be grateful it's not an influenza (airborne) but rather can be contacted by droplets which isn't bad. Please be positive and stay alive

You be corret man when get sense. In Jeeesus name, you nogo fall down for on top toto.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by MikoB: 6:13am On Mar 17, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
already in France, as from today 6pm, you can no longer get out of your home for the next 45 days (unless for shopping in the nearest convenient store/pharmacy from your house). you must decide where you want to stay for next 45 days and DONT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE.

all bars, restaurant clubs, gym museum etc are closed for the next 45days....only place that are allowed to stay open are pharmacy and supermarket.

only people allowed to leave their homes are doctors/medical people, cops/military personel (use to control the "couvre feu"wink or people with special permit!
That is a lie, they only closed commercial shops, restaurant, you can still go to work that explains why the city buses were not affected, though flight coming in to eu has been suspended for 30days and schengen border closed

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by EDON76: 6:30am On Mar 17, 2020
I'm an Engineer working at dangote refinery and fertilizer plant, a classified mail from the clinic of one of the sub-contractors known as ONSHORE leaked yesterday. One of the Indians who just arrived the country is showing serious symptoms of the virus and they are handling it on code and the multiple effect can't be imagined. We know that India has this virus and have recorded about 6 deaths yet they keep bringing them in here in their hundreds daily. This shit is so scary now cos I'm so close to these guys and we work together.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:31am On Mar 17, 2020
MikoB:

That is a lie, they only closed commercial shops, restaurant, you can still go to work that explains why the city buses were not affected, though flight coming in to eu has been suspended for 30days and schengen border closed

how do you expect people to go to supermarket if there is no public transport?!?!? fly there? how do you expect people who work in supermarket to go to work without public transport? swim there.

here is what the presido said.... all companies must facilitate work from home and nobody can go out to socialize nor visit family etc, and since already all schools/kindergarden/unis etc are closed, what will be left? the guy selling shoes? his shop is banned to be opened. the guy working at his office? he MUST work from home... you cant go to hairdresser, you are not allowed to meet other people but the ones who live with you (and when you go to supermarket, you must keep 1m distance)....private companies were already told to close for next 45days since last week and only focus on work from home. major players such as the carmakers/electronic/fashion etc have already closed. the gov is allocating 300Billions euros to compensate everyone.

of course people working in place like corner stores shops etc and all other necessities MUST continue going to work. we still need food etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2fhXo4SzfA
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by caprini1: 6:32am On Mar 17, 2020
TheSuperb:

You are the walking corpse. Ode
You dey mind the clown? The virus is deadly ,yes,but why has no one deemed it fit to even do a research on our local herbs ,that most poor Nigerians have been using for treatments for aeons ?

A very big pharmacy where i buy drugs ,actually introduced me to just a locally made 500naira a bottle ,well packaged herbal mixture ,and that was the end to typhoid and malaria.....we need to believe in ourselves at the moment,the whole world has bigger problems of their own,to have our time.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Calculux95: 6:36am On Mar 17, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

dont you think Nigeria/Africa should close their borders too?! there are many infected people outside Europe... here is a simple clue: many Chinese people for example OR people who've been in China (or in contact with Chinese people)?

It's not just Europe closing its borders. South America is doing so and Asia especially China has restricted travel since early February

All I'm saying that since our government is being unreasonable about closing the border.....it doesn't mean that all hope is lost.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:38am On Mar 17, 2020
Calculux95:
It's not just Europe closing its borders. South America is doing so and Asia especially China has restricted travel since early February

All I'm saying that since our government is being unreasonable about closing the border.....it doesn't mean that all hope is lost.

true... but as nobody knows whats going to happen, closing borders is the safest option.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by aimuan(m): 6:41am On Mar 17, 2020
philip0906:

Our problems for here, big pass coronavirus...we have been battling lassa fever on a low(double digit mortality rate), man made disasters (like the explosion yesterday), economic hardship, corrupt and inept government...we have coped just fine and still find a way through.

After 45 days will the virus die?
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Nobody: 6:41am On Mar 17, 2020
gnykelly:

Nigeria government have shown great capability in early detection of contagious disease identify and isolate... your Almighty USA and UK don't even have scope of how to curtail or early detection... the current lockdown in the USA is not even enough to curtail it as there is still free movement inter and intra state without any detection for isolation...we got it right this time
Just pray it doesn't become pandemic in this country, forget everything you read or heard about Nigeria being able to combat infections diseases, the healthcare delivery system here is shitty, I am talking from an informed perspective.
We don't even have enough health officials to tackle this, our ambulatory services is zero, para medics zero, just pray it doesn't escalate here.
We can't even afford a national lock down, hunger go even kill us faster than the disease if we attempt it.
Hygiene here is zero, basic sanitary materials here is lacking, which hospital will you run to? Unmotivated health care staff will abandon you for their life if you show symptoms.

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by oluwasegun007(m): 6:42am On Mar 17, 2020
Hypocrite, why were they lambasting trump before...

Can't we close our border too.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by philip0906(m): 6:42am On Mar 17, 2020
EDON76:
I'm an Engineer working at dangote refinery and fertilizer plant, a classified mail from the clinic of one of the sub-contractors known as ONSHORE leaked yesterday. One of the Indians who just arrived the country is showing serious symptoms of the virus and they are handling it on code and the multiple effect can't be imagined. We know that India has this virus and have recorded about 6 deaths yet they keep bringing them in here in their hundreds daily. This shit is so scary now cos I'm so close to these guys and we work together.
Hide the email address and names in that screenshot...

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by CanadaOrBust: 6:42am On Mar 17, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

Italian dude pass through the airport because the airport screening is just temperature check, while we all know that a person can be contaminated and show no symptoms until much later after leaving the airport, like the Italian did. when the italian started showing symptoms, and his background was checked, they had to SEND HIM TO ISOLATION PLACE IN LAGOS for treatment. Ogun state did not have the capacity to take care of such person. now imagine how many people could be infected and left to their own device because, instead of checking a proper doctor (like Italian did) they go see some BS native doctor?!?!?!?!

here enjoy:

The prevalence of malaria in Africa could complicate the diagnosis of novel coronavirus in the continent, said the epidemiologist leading the fight against the new disease in Nigeria.

Nigerian health officials are racing to prevent the spread of coronavirus after the first case of the illness in sub-Saharan Africa was identified last week in Lagos, the nation’s business hub. Since then only three more cases have been identified in Senegal and South Africa, while the number of infected have surged in other regions after the illness first appeared in China.

Similar symptoms such as body aches at the onset of both diseases could make it difficult to diagnose the coronavirus early on, said Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, the head of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

Already exhausted from testing for monkeypox and Lassa fever, Nigerian molecular bio-engineer Nnaemeka Ndodo had to work well past midnight earlier this month to find out if six Chinese construction workers were infected with the coronavirus.

Ndodo had to collect samples from a hospital an hour away in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, then wait for six hours to get the results in what’s one of only five laboratories able to test for the virus in Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, with about 200 million people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-06/widespread-malaria-may-complicate-coronavirus-fight-in-africa

from the above in red we can clearly see that testing for COVID-19 in Nigeria is not that easy, nor it is easy to differentiate early from malaria, as you claim.

What u present are theoretical. In reality I (and just about any adult Nigerian) know when I have malaria. Symptoms of malaria are quite different from respiratory disease symptoms - I’d know right away what I have is not malaria.
When they mentioned that possible case in Enugu I said right away she’d test negative. How do I know? Because I know it is virtually impossible to have casual transmission of corona in Nigeria. So unless someone’s close family member in the same house or very close colleague has it, it is a waste of time testing them for it. Some random old woman cannot suddenly have corona in Nigeria. You can take this to the bank - there is virtually no corona in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Jakumo(m): 6:43am On Mar 17, 2020
Can I at least embark on my visit to Amsterdam's red light district, and her infamous coffee bars, BEFORE this 30 day travel ban is enforced ?

In the natural order of things, man pikin's endless quest for the fabled konji, must not be interrupted by enemies of frogress who seek to pour san-san for inside my garri.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by philip0906(m): 6:45am On Mar 17, 2020
aimuan:
After 45 days will the virus die?
If you're talking about the time for lockdown, the virus won't die but the concern for authorities now is containment which is what the Chinese did...Today coronavirus is under control over there and it's easy to isolate cases and offer treatment and gradually begin to get things back to normal

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by juman(m): 6:47am On Mar 17, 2020
Corona has knocked down human beings.
Unbelievable.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Ayemileto(m): 6:51am On Mar 17, 2020
Chuzoetoh:
Apart from Antarctica, there's one place DAT dis virus can never affect n dat's Chile.

Why?
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by todugo(m): 7:15am On Mar 17, 2020
[quote author=Akpaamunsi post=87506226]

Shut up [/quote
Cow don't be deceived by the lies of our government and health minister if this virus truely hits or enters this country I tell you, U won't survive to tell the story because our stupid government has no adequate plan to mitigate it added with the fact that it has no vaccine.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Damades(m): 7:28am On Mar 17, 2020
Only God can save the world from this deadly disease.
For your agricultural seeds and Seedlings, farm establishment and management, contact us.
Re: Coronavirus: EU's Borders Will Close For 30 Days From Noon Tomorrow by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 17, 2020
Looks like amazon is also on lockdown due to corona virus.
Bought a book on Sunday and it has not shipped.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo Of Yahya Jammeh As A Young Soldier / Jon Ossoff Thanks Nigerians In Geogia For Their Role In His Election Victory / Trump Vs. Iran: It's Not Over (Analysis)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.