Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,206 members, 7,829,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Another Achebe In Grooming. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Achebe In Grooming. (689 Views)

North Should Start Grooming Jonathan’s Successor In 2019 – Ahmadu Ali / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Achebe In Grooming. by omongbatib: 5:03am On Dec 25, 2010
I Pity Students Who Don’t Read – Onuora
Thursday, 23 December 2010 06:08 Stella Eze, Abuja
E-mail Print

Fifteen-year old Kennedy Ifeanyichukwu Onuora has authored two books. The youngster says he draws inspiration from God and other Nigerian literary icons. His books are already in use in some secondary schools in FCT. In this chat with STELLA EZE, the writer advises his peers to discover hidden treasures by reading good books. Excerpts.

Tell us about yourself.

My name is Kennedy Onuorah. I hail from Ishiagu, Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. I am a student of GSS, Wuse Zone 3. I am the only child of my parents. I am in SS 2.

Have you been writing all your life?

I have not. I have been writing essays, and I know I am good at that. But I never knew that I would be good at writing a book. I believe it was God's inspiration. I thank God for it. I wrote the book to voice out what is on my mind.

Tell us about your books?

The first one is 'The Survival of An African Orphan'. It is a story about a young teenager called Dike who lost his parents at a very tender age. After the death of his parents, Dike passed through a lot of challenges. He was neglected by the society. Dike lost hope in the society but later he prevailed. In this book, I am talking to all the children in Africa who have lost their parents. I am telling them not to lose hope for once there is life, their surely is hope. Great things can be achieved when you do what is right and when you embrace God and believe that he will see you through. Also by avoiding anything that will lead you into societal vices, you will succeed. The message also goes not just to the orphans, but to all the people in our society.

What of your second novel, what is it all about?

The second novel is called the 'Missing Star of the Sky'. The story emphasizes the need for good political formation in the society. I believe that if we have good leaders we will have good followers, which can be attained if all of us come together to work as one. The book is also talking about cultural rebirth. Most children have forgotten their culture. There is need for them to come back home and know their traditions. It is not every child that knows about their tradition. They go to cyber cafes, they watch television and home videos, and learn other people cultures, yet, they do not even know their own culture. Many of them these days do not know how to speak their own language. The setting of the novel is the Igbo setting.

Were you born into a family of writers?

No.

How old were you when you started writing?

I started writing when I was 13. I am 15 now.

In Nigeria these days, there is a problem of poor reading culture. Even adults find it hard to read unless they have an exam to write. What is your advice for the Nigerian public who do not read?

My advice to them is that they should know that if they don't read, they cannot acquire knowledge. A book is a treasure chest. You read to understand, you read to acquire knowledge. I pity students who don't read until towards the exam period, it doesn't help. You are sent to the school to read and to learn. You have to put your heart to it. The spirit of reading has left Nigerians and I don't know why. It is important that we bring the culture of reading back. In my school, I hardly see people reading African series. It is either romance novel, adventures. They don't read what is important for their intellectual development.

Have you made effort in your own little way to draw your friends into reading something sensible that will enrich their life?

As I said earlier, most of my friends read romance novels. I do tell them that the romance novel they read has a negative side effect. It is highly erotic than the one we watch on television. It gives you thoughts that you don't want to talk about. Books teach you what to do. It can lead us to things we don't want to do. I do advise them to read good books so that they will make in their life and also positively impact the society.

Who is your role model?

I will say Chinua Achebe. I love his pattern of writing.

What course are you offering?

I am a science student

Who edits your books?

I take it to some authors like Seyin Adegun, Obi Anoliefo, Afam Edozie. They help me with the editing.

Does your school have any form of encouragement or input in what you are doing?

They have been supporting me. Presently, my book, 'The Survival of An African Orphan' has been approved by the Education Resource Center (ERC), to be used in the FCT secondary school curriculum. They have also assisted me with the distribution of the books. They have used the book to encourage other students. My school has really contributed to the popularity of the novel.

What is your advice for your peers?

My advice for them is that they should always avoid anything that will destroy their image. They should embrace the rebranding process going on in Nigeria. They should also embrace their book and everything that is good. They should contribute their quota to nation building. Apart from writing, they should develop their various talents because I believe that if we develop our talent, anywhere we go, we will excel. We have living witnesses in the persons of great literary icons like Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Chimamanda Adichie, Cyprain Ekwensi and a host of others who have done the nation proud in the literary world. They have made great impact through their skilful ways of writing. According to J F Kennedy, we should think of what we will do for our country, and not what our country will do for us. They should also stay out of trouble and avoid any social vices.
Re: Another Achebe In Grooming. by Nobody: 5:08am On Dec 25, 2010
Another Wole Soyinka in the making grin
Re: Another Achebe In Grooming. by Dsense(m): 5:11am On Dec 25, 2010
^^^ grin grin . . . But he tried naau
Re: Another Achebe In Grooming. by slap1(m): 8:23am On Dec 25, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Another Wole Soyinka in the making grin
Trouble-maker, lol. @Topic. Nice interview. Laudable grasp of grammar for a fifteen year old. More ink to his pen.
Re: Another Achebe In Grooming. by OchiAgha2(m): 8:25am On Dec 25, 2010
There is only one Chinua Achebe. Sorry

(1) (Reply)

Someone Should Plz Tell Aunty Dora The Places That Are Anambra Central / Tinubu’s God Complex / Insight Into Difficulties Most Under-35 Years Old Nigerian Youth Face In Fairly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.