Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Adventure In Ireland - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Adventure In Ireland (197216 Views)

What Is Like Studying In Sweden As An African. A Nairalander Adventure In Sweden / Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) / My 2017 Summer And Fall Adventure In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (94) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Goodman247: 11:12am On May 31, 2020
From what l have read so far, Ireland is a boring place

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:20pm On May 31, 2020
Question and answer from a private email, I hope you get some information

My enquiry:

A. I submitted updated docs via mail and got same reply as almost other April applicants shifted to Sept that my docs will be assessed April. Now that DBS sent a new letter for yet another shift to Oct resumption, do you advice I send the letter to the embassy as an update? UKEAS seem not to have a reply to same question after I contacted them about it. 

*B. I will like to know what organizations you recommend I can plan to volunteer with in Dublin. Maybe suggestions with the ones you are currently engaged in. 

C. I'm also wondering if there's a TensorFlow user community in DBS. I joined one in Ibadan and found ML more exciting. 

D. Will like to know if it's possible to get done with GNIB, hunt and start with any part time job asap first month of lectures. 

E. Any idea on the validity of the rumor that incoming int. students may have to obtain a private ensuite accomodation before arrival for a possible 14-days self isolation?

Answer

This is a long 

Sincere apologies for the late response.

You could have gotten the app and add me and delete it, so you can chat from fb browser. 

I like the way you organized this email.

A. I will suggest you send the updated letter to the embassy just incase there's a future enquiry.  You might get two months to travel when your Visa comes out.

B. There are a lot. Just make sure you go to the ones that you will spend less time in and also can provide reference for you. 

Theres an Irish app, IVOL. This has a map of the Ireland and dots showing places and their information that have volunteering opportunities. Comes very handy if you dont want to waka far.

C. I dont know what it is, DBS uses Rapidminer, it's like a community.  We also have others. 

D. To get your gnib,  you have to book your appointment two months ahead. Its incredibly hard to get it, that's why.

E. For the ensuite self quarantine,  I'll advise you to check gumtree, Facebook and daft.ie for ensuite, if you are not provided with any alternative.  Remember to pay by cash,  be there physically. 

Any questions you have, I'm here for you.

4 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:30pm On May 31, 2020
Goodman247:
From what l have read so far, Ireland is a boring place

Well if you were away from your family and friends, wont you find it booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg, I've made friends here and it's getting interesting.
Plus I can free visit anyone without fear of kidnapping and ritual killings.
I never got to visit the Pubs, lockdown started two months after I came. There are lots of sight seeings and fun places I haven't been to. Even the tourist attraction I haven't explored it yet. I was waiting till I got a job before I start to do all these, I just didnt feel comfortable burning my dads cash and later calling home for more cash, I dont see myself as a man in that light. Not that they wont give me, but that's not life.

Theres a route to class that i take occasionally, I do pass the Temple bar. And trust me, I've been tempted to go for just a sip......

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2020
haylegbede1:
This is a nice thread and I've gotten vital information from it. Thanks for creating this thread @chiggsglover

I have a few questions. I dont know if you had talked about it earlier ..I may have missed the page (please refer me to the page if any)

I wanted to know what about the reputation of National college of ireland. What do you think about getting a job in finance field in Ireland after MSC finance at NCI (or Dublin City University) and 2 years work experience in financial services in Nigeria.

What can you say about racism generally as it relates to job seeking etc.

Thanks.

Also, what are the prospects of getting a pet time job while studying ...are there any finance related part time jobs?

Please anyone in Ireland can help paint more colour to this.

NCI is beautiful and cool,
The rep is good.
It has better infrastructure than DBS.
Finance is good and vibrant but you'll need your professional certification.

Racism is everywhere in various forms.
For jobs, not that I have experienced this, an Irish stands a better chance than you gunning for the same jobs, this is the major reason we go for courses the typical Irishman cant handle. Irish folks dont also like care jobs, security too. These odd jobs pay better, less stressful. Though they require certification and training to do them
Care jobs provides an opportunity for other full time positions on it's own once you have QQ5
Where will I start career from if I washing plates and cleaning floor.

8 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:39pm On May 31, 2020
wowdiva:

Nigeria could not even pay anything, the so called palliative that was shared in Lagos was a joke. One better think and act fast now before it's too late.

Lol, even if the government provides, ghost hands will grab it in their ghost mode. Hahaha.

It's very painful.

3 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:39pm On May 31, 2020
Segunagagu:

Yes oooo I am .... sorry for just replying...mehn been busy with work and stuffs...e nor easy. No forget the site ooo....looool...
Thank man, I understand, its very busy
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:40pm On May 31, 2020
Samuelsegs:

i thought the €350 wasn't real...until you settle the matter..what a sane country
Real as rice.
Every Tuesday, same place, same time

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:41pm On May 31, 2020
Brightfab:
"Naturally where should my patriotism go to"
Na dy matter we go settle next grin

Thst matter dey clear, if I give €20 to the opposing sides, den fit me

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by haylegbede1(m): 12:53pm On May 31, 2020
Chiggsglover:

NCI is beautiful and cool,
The rep is good.
It has better infrastructure than DBS.
Finance is good and vibrant but you'll need your professional certification.

Racism is everywhere in various forms.
For jobs, not that I have experienced this, an Irish stands a better chance than you gunning for the same jobs, this is the major reason we go for courses the typical Irishman cant handle. Irish folks dont also like care jobs, security too. These odd jobs pay better, less stressful. Though they require certification and training to do them
Care jobs provides an opportunity for other full time positions on it's own once you have QQ5
Where will I start career from if I washing plates and cleaning floor.

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Sparrow0: 1:13pm On May 31, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Real as rice.
Every Tuesday, same place, same time
See ehh, I no need too much, just do wetin dey your mind. That €20 wer you wan take settle matter sef go epp my life grin
Make I drop my aza? grin

No call me begi begi o cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by badmanjo(m): 7:02pm On May 31, 2020
Chiggs do you know anything about GMIT? it's a School in dublin
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Dwebb55: 7:51pm On May 31, 2020
seunny4lif:
Engineering is part of STEM meaning you have over 99% of getting your field.
Most of the guys I know here studied what we Nigerians called yeye courses but they all have jobs here now
I know more than 3 working now with AIB bank and what they study is not related to the job offer and the salary are crazy cool.

My appreciation to Chiggsglover and Seunny4lif for the response. STEM courses are highly appreciated all over the world and for those that don't understand the acronym, it means Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics!

9 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Segunagagu(m): 10:29pm On May 31, 2020
haylegbede1:
This is a nice thread and I've gotten vital information from it. Thanks for creating this thread @chiggsglover

I have a few questions. I dont know if you had talked about it earlier ..I may have missed the page (please refer me to the page if any)

I wanted to know what about the reputation of National college of ireland. What do you think about getting a job in finance field in Ireland after MSC finance at NCI (or Dublin City University) and 2 years work experience in financial services in Nigeria.

What can you say about racism generally as it relates to job seeking etc.

Thanks.

Also, what are the prospects of getting a pet time job while studying ...are there any finance related part time jobs?

Please anyone in Ireland can help paint more colour to this.

I school in NCI...BE ready to read oooo....as in read!!!!!!!! Cos u will work sooo hard for your marks...I think it because of the standard...

If u are doing MSc in finance and u Even have 2 years finance experience... You will be Grand. There are jobs for u...

While studying....u will get many part time jobs... plenty... Also depending on where you live. .am not sure of part-time finance jobs...but u have to start from somewhere bro.. . from the scratch...

Hope I tried...

6 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Samuelsegs: 10:57am On Jun 01, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Well if you were away from your family and friends, wont you find it booooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg, I've made friends here and it's getting interesting.
Plus I can free visit anyone without fear of kidnapping and ritual killings.
I never got to visit the Pubs, lockdown started two months after I came. There are lots of sight seeings and fun places I haven't been to. Even the tourist attraction I haven't explored it yet. I was waiting till I got a job before I start to do all these, I just didnt feel comfortable burning my dads cash and later calling home for more cash, I dont see myself as a man in that light. Not that they wont give me, but that's not life.

Theres a route to class that i take occasionally, I do pass the Temple bar. And trust me, I've been tempted to go for just a sip......

hope you took pictures..its makes the thread more attractive and cool...believe me you're doing a great job chiggsglover...

10 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by haylegbede1(m): 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2020
Segunagagu:

I school in NCI...BE ready to read oooo....as in read!!!!!!!! Cos u will work sooo hard for your marks...I think it because of the standard...

If u are doing MSc in finance and u Even have 2 years finance experience... You will be Grand. There are jobs for u...

While studying....u will get many part time jobs... plenty... Also depending on where you live. .am not sure of part-time finance jobs...but u have to start from somewhere bro.. . from the scratch...

Hope I tried...

Hey Segun, thanks for the heads up! Your reply gave me a wave of optimism!

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 7:04pm On Jun 01, 2020
haylegbede1:

Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated
Welcome welcome, always a pleasure

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 7:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
Sparrow0:

See ehh, I no need too much, just do wetin dey your mind. That €20 wer you wan take settle matter sef go epp my life grin
Make I drop my aza? grin

No call me begi begi o cheesy cheesy

€20 fit be transactional fee to send money to Nigeria lol

3 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 7:05pm On Jun 01, 2020
Dwebb55:

My appreciation to Chiggsglover and Seunny4lif for the response. STEM courses are highly appreciated all over the world and for those that don't understand the acronym, it means Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics!
Thank you, thanks to Seunny4lif also
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 7:06pm On Jun 01, 2020
Segunagagu:

Hope I tried...
I'm happy you responded, I really appreciate your input.

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 7:08pm On Jun 01, 2020
Samuelsegs:

hope you took pictures..its makes the thread more attractive and cool...believe me you're doing a great job chiggsglover...
I have not passed there yet.
When I did, I didnt know lockdown will be like this.

3 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by seunny4lif(m): 9:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
You are welcome
Dwebb55:

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by seunny4lif(m): 9:28pm On Jun 01, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Thank you, thanks to Seunny4lif also
You are welcome abi na don't mention

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Segunagagu(m): 1:26am On Jun 02, 2020
Chiggsglover:

I'm happy you responded, I really appreciate your input.
It's okay bro..

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Acuna91: 11:57am On Jun 02, 2020
If you have a diamond Bank master debit card, (Expired or not) pm me for a deal.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Majorly21: 12:14pm On Jun 02, 2020
Acuna91:
If you have a diamond Bank master debit card, (Expired or not) pm me for a deal.

Carry your 419 business comot for here.

6 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Sparrow0: 1:39pm On Jun 02, 2020
Chiggsglover:

€20 fit be transactional fee to send money to Nigeria lol
No worry, send am for PayPal cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Omonihobae: 11:48am On Jun 03, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Sorry man

Busy day

I've decided to go into Care.
Had a full day training with more in future to update us on the improvements and all.
I'm gonna be a Care Assistant. grin

Those shits, I'll pack their life
Training was from 9am to 6pm with four breaks.

I used the Best Airline in the World and it happened to be the cheapest.
Qatar airline.
Visa fee was N40k total
My passport wasn't good enough, I paid 2k for another one there, you must tell them its Ireland, Canada own is very expensive.
I paid precisely N222,000.

Trust me na, my precision is like a Discharged bullet.
Pls o am very interested in the care,can a person with degree in Human Anatomy apply or do I still need some other certificate,thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:05pm On Jun 03, 2020
Sparrow0:

No worry, send am for PayPal cheesy cheesy
Na CollectPal. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Sparrow0: 6:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Na CollectPal. Lol

Lol cheesy
Happy new month man, sorry it's coming late grin
Wish you showers of blessings and good good things this month and all round grin grin

1 Like

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:48pm On Jun 03, 2020
Omonihobae:
Pls o am very interested in the care,can a person with degree in Human Anatomy apply or do I still need some other certificate,thank you

Sure you can, its health related, if me that's a commercial student that's now into IT can work in care, why not You.
For odd jobs in Ireland whether in warehouse, kitchen, care, security, they've made it easier, I wish someone gave me this information when I was coming here.

I would have saved myself time I wasted in Sending out application forms in all manners of sectors. I received loads of rejection emails especially when they saw I was a full time student and will be unable to work with them Full time. Pls dont make the mistake.
It got to a point that I was getting 10 refusal email per day until I saw the light which I will show you all.

From all the rejections, I still get some even now. Maybe one in a week, some of these folks might keep the CV till they need workers, the lockdown meant no jobs.
From the rejections, I got about 5 calls, I guess they didn't know I couldn't work full time, immediately I told them I was a full time student, the tone changed and we politely agreed to disagree.
In all I got to know that There are Jobs in Ireland.

Spotlight,
If you want a Job, Odd jobs, don't squeeze your face cos of the name, that's the same job you'll do if you're in Canada, US or UK. UK is tougher because my friends there can't work.
The country has made it easier for international students but if you dont know these things, your family will join hand with pastor in Nigeria to settle your matter with God.
Just as The country's universities has paid-agents for free consultation for admission, course and visa assistance, they have Recruitment Agencies here that will look at your schedule and provide you with jobz. Imagine that.
Just imagine you're in Nigeria and youre able to work for just two days in a week, with the money, you're able to pay your house rent, buy food, and dress fashionably, if you save up properly, you can afford a car (a friend bought a compact car, the make is more than 10 years, but its neat, car was €700, insurance €1200 a year, tax was €300). All of these with the income you made in Two days/week.

Dont let anyone deceive you its better to be based Only in Nigeria, the Racism we're crying about here is worse in Nigeria, we call it tribalism. When people like us come here and the country has pampered us, we've seen the other side of life, and are sensitive to any discomfort whatsoever.
Yeah sensitive, I wont be able to handle 30mins in Lagos hold up now.

The good thing here is that The Gardai dont carry guns, I was shocked to hear that actually. The only carry batons, handcuffs, it was two years ago that they were allowed to carry tasers. Citizens here dont move around with guns, so theres no need for that.
Maybe in the UK, the cops might be allowed to carry knives, just joking.
The cops in the USA have their guns since their citizens carry gun. You do not take a knife to a Gun fight.

We have Recruitment Agencies scattered about, just go on Google and you'll find them. Security agencies and care is the easiest jobs here. Most security jobs demands you sit in front of a CCTV, just that the barriers is that you need to pay €300 for the training but the good thing is that their wage per hour is comparatively higher.
For health, care companies have their and some render free training while for others, you pay.
For warehouse and kitchen porters job, you need to get manual handling and Food safety certification. Each cost about €40. The same place you do it will provide you with jobs .if you're tired of them, you can take your certificate to another agency, get registered and start working without paying a dime because you already have what it takes.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:50pm On Jun 03, 2020
Stop Rape because a No is A NO
Also You shouldnt tempt a man by going to his house, sleeping over.

BlackLivesMatters

10 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:51pm On Jun 03, 2020
Sparrow0:

Lol cheesy
Happy new month man, sorry it's coming late grin
Wish you showers of blessings and good good things this month and all round grin grin
Lol, same bro
It's never late.
Ireland dont celebrate the new month as they come.
It's good to celebrate our little incremental Victories.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (94) (Reply)

Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response / *** General Irish VISIT/TOURIST VISA Enquiries *** / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.