Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? (7024 Views)

Poll: Love or Respect! Which do you deem more important in a relationship?

love: 52% (50 votes)
respect: 47% (45 votes)
This poll has ended

'Love' Or 'Trust' Or 'Respect'. Which Is More Vital In A Relationship? / Guys: Love Or Respect; Which Do You Prefer In A Relationship / It's Seems Everybody Have Sexaul Relatnshp With Their Partner Before Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by aameyah(f): 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2010
Love and respect are two different concepts. The bible admonishes wives to submit to their husbands and husbands to love their wives. We know our Nigerian men like respect alot. But do they prefer being respected, more than being loved? Also, women put up with disrespectful poo in relationshps, al in the name of love. Whats ur take on dat?
I know dat d best type is wen love and respect work in sync in a relationship. But if as a (wo)man, you can't have d two from your partner and you had to choose one, which would it be? Love or respect, which do you prefer?
Your wise contributions would b very much appreciatd.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Dyt(f): 4:19pm On Dec 26, 2010
Lovin me doesnt mean he cant hurt me
bt if he respects me its lyk him worshipin me

1 Like

Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by adamse(f): 4:42pm On Dec 26, 2010
i really feel both cant be separated, with love comes respect. what is love then if there isn't respect?
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nektar(f): 5:54pm On Dec 26, 2010
I choose love coz respect follows love bt respect might be induced by fear.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Carolece(f): 5:59pm On Dec 26, 2010
Respect first, everything else will follow in due time.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Osama10(m): 7:10pm On Dec 26, 2010
Love induces respect.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Carolece(f): 7:12pm On Dec 26, 2010
^^
not necessarily.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Osama10(m): 7:17pm On Dec 26, 2010
Carolece:

^^
not necessarily.

Yeah it does.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 26, 2010
I don't think you can be truly loved without being respected unconditionally.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by deniyor: 7:18pm On Dec 26, 2010
For relationships, it is either both of them or none of them. They go together for a relationship to work. Respect does not mean you have to worship anybody. You can't love someone without respecting them. You can respect without loving tho.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by aameyah(f): 7:37pm On Dec 26, 2010
^ wot do u say about the naughty son who disregards his mum's admonitions? Wud u say he doesnt LOVE her, because he didnt RESPECT her feelings?
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by deniyor: 7:40pm On Dec 26, 2010
Are we talking about relationships or family/friends here?
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by aameyah(f): 7:44pm On Dec 26, 2010
^^^my bad, we're talking relationships. Picture a girl dat disrespects her man, does dat mean she doesnt love him?
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by deniyor: 7:49pm On Dec 26, 2010
Respect is a two way street. For relationships and for friendship / family. It also goes deeper than listening (or not) to other people's advice or admonition. Who ever advises you, or admonishes you also has to respect your decision to follow their advice or admonition or not.
In a relationship, you give respect and you get it in return.
In my family, I do not have to do everything or live my life the way my mom wants me to. She has to respect my decisions/ choices as an adult too. I expect she will not embarrass me intentionally just like I wouldn't.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by deniyor: 7:52pm On Dec 26, 2010
aameyah:

^^^my bad, we're talking relationships. Picture a girl dat disrespects her man, does dat mean she doesnt love him?

Love is not about words but actions. Say you and I are dating. And I continually disrespect you and embarrass you. If I told you I loved you, will you believe me based on my actions?
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by deniyor: 7:55pm On Dec 26, 2010
A man is obsessed with a woman. He kidnaps her, ties her down, assaults her in everyway you can think of. If he told you or anyone else that he loves the girl, will you not just think he is sick in the head.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Jay595(m): 8:01pm On Dec 26, 2010
Tough 1.
I believe both of them hold almost equal value. ! without d other is worthless in a relationship.
Gats 2 hv both.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by chikeorji123(m): 8:19pm On Dec 26, 2010
love attract respect,which means if there is love,then it's automatically bring respect.
smiley smiley
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by aameyah(f): 8:35pm On Dec 26, 2010
@deniyor-i get what you're sayin especially with the illustration.

@all-it seems our men love love alot nwadays. please dnt 4get 2 cast your votes in the poll.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by MrsEve2(f): 8:52pm On Dec 26, 2010
You can't not respect someone without love. The love doesn't necessary apply to the person whom you are married or dating but it can come from within. Many people who are in relationships are not in love nor love the person they are with. But, because they love themselves they are able to project some type of respect.

For example, there are people who are still in marriage and are falling out of love with each other still have respect for their children and themselves. Often time we confused respect with love when the entities are two separate emotions. A person who is in love with their significant will respect their lovers in a different fashion than a person who doesn't love their significant other.

Being cordial is another form of respect, we can still disagree but we will respect each other opinions. There are many levels of respect but ultimately the type of respect you think you deserve will project through your conducts.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by mrover(m): 10:18am On Dec 27, 2010
Both work hand-in-hand but RESPECT comes first. Dats what inspires Love. Before a gurl wud fall inlove with a man, she must first respect the man otherwise its a waste of time.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2010
///
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by DoubleN(m): 12:32pm On Dec 27, 2010
Just give me my respect and all wil be well. I mean what is Love without respect?
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 27, 2010
Neither. Love fades; so does respect - humans are creatures of impulse and caprice. And their feelings of 'love' and 'respect' are exceedingly whimsical due to sheer perversity. If you rely on their so-called love and respect, you shall be ruthlessly disappointed when you least expect.

>>>>>>> I'd rather she has a positive FEAR of me. . .and of the repersussions of any kind of misbehaviour on her part. ["my husband is typically sweet and caring oh, ah but he is also a mad man and could be a demon when offended, I don't want his trouble abeg"]. Fear is more enduring (and potent) than the ephemeral and unreliable feelings of love and respect. I learned from Machiavelli.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by usbcable(m): 1:20pm On Dec 27, 2010
Love: a strong feeling of AFFECTION for sb/sth
Respect: a feeling of ADMIRATION for sb/sth because of their good qualities or achievements
Affection: feeling of LIKING or loving sb/sth very much and caring for them
Admiration: feeling of respect and LIKING for sb/sth

you cant say you LOVE without having RESPECT for someone
nor can you say you truely RESPECT someone without truely having LOVE for them.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by iice(f): 1:45pm On Dec 27, 2010
pro01:

Neither. Love fades; so does respect - humans are creatures of impulse and caprice. And their feelings of 'love' and 'respect' are exceedingly whimsical due to sheer perversity. If you rely on their so-called love and respect, you shall be ruthlessly disappointed when you least expect.

Ding ding ding!

@OP
I think to men, respect is more important
To women, love is more important (of course they want to have their cake and eat it too, so they'll find a way to entangle/twist the love with respect so it seems like one and the same grin)
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by bidemi12(m): 2:01pm On Dec 27, 2010
i just saw the poll and i was amazed by the result. My people let me be blunt. women always want something or someone to look up to in a relationship. respect comes first before anything. love will eventually dull away with time and it is only respect that keeps the flame burning.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by viann: 3:58pm On Dec 27, 2010
if there is love definately there should be respect.

1 Like

Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 27, 2010
both are important
its like asking which is more important between hearing and speaking

without one the other doesn't stand much chance of keeping the relationship going
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by jackkyy(m): 4:19pm On Dec 27, 2010
a lot of nigerians either have a hard time with or intentionally disregard the difference between respect and fear, love and submissiveness. during dialogues,

when you exercise your freedom of speech they say you have no repect.just cos you respect someone doesn't mean you should fear them and hold bac your

opinions.secondly, a lot of nigerian archeic ,crude and highly conservative traditions encourages submissiveness on the part of the woman and claims that the

man is always right.hence the domestic verbal and physical abuse afflicted on the woman.here in the USA a man who puts his hand on a woman goes to

jail.nigerian men know their boundaries here and dare not try it, i wish you could see how nigerian women in the US are so prejudice towards african american

people.nigerians are so judgemental but they look past the bad name they have here for committing all sorts of million dollar frauds from medi -care fraud to

check fraud.i can go on and on.my point is that when i took sociology here in the us, we were taught not to judge a sample by an entire population. just cos

some african americans have their flaws doesnt mean there aren't good ones.of course they got good ones.a lot of nigerians here go to college and hope to

get a job. what if they went to an interview session and the prospective employer said to them " you are nigerian,i am sorry you cant get the job because you

stand a chance of being a fraudster".nigerians need to desist from this or sooner you will hear of them being killed by the people they talk down on.
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by jackkyy(m): 4:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
get to know the individual before you judge
Re: Love Or Respect-Which Is More Important To A (Wo)Man In A Relatnshp? by ADEOLA17: 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2010
Respect is more important,if u respect som1 u wouldn't want to hurt the person at all.You may love some1 and u can still hurt the person,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Charming Guys Who End Up Marrying Ugly Chicks.why Do They Do That? / Guys Can You Date Or Marry A Yoruba Girl! / The 41 Commandments Of Pussy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.