Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses - Celebrities (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses (117616 Views)

Rosy Meurer Rocks Cleavage-Baring Outfit To AY's 48th Birthday Dinner / Alex Unusual Slays In Cleavage-Baring Outfit To AY Live / Hushpuppi Responds To AY Gucci Bag Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by AndroBlaze: 8:22pm On Mar 27, 2020
NACE13:
I wonder how AY would feel if he is a Nairalander; see how folks shifted the main topic of discussion to "Accents of Nigerians in diaspora";-D
But I just love the British accent; I consider the scouse accent the sexiest, just like that Ammunition expert in John Wick: Chapter II, Alfred The Butler in Batman, Idris Elba, Jason Statham, Chris Hemsworth and many more

I've not watched John Wick, but none of the other people you mentioned have a scouse accent, Chris is even Australian, though he does attempt to do a southern English accent in some movies.

Here are examples of the scouse (Liverpool) accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWAUrHODRWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eALDOPFZLg

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Sadteen: 8:38pm On Mar 27, 2020
AndroBlaze:

I will have to disagree with you on this brother.

First of all, we don't have a Nigerian accent as groups in Nigeria speak English in very distinctive ways... so which one is it that Oyinbo find attractive, Buhari accent, Obasanjo accent or Orji Uzor Kalu accent?

This point I am making is the same for England that has got many different accents, are you telling me people are rating a Scouse accent (Carragher's) the same they would rate Prince William's accent?

Anyway, we don't have a uniform accent, just like the English, so when people are rating our accents they are rating what they hear us speak to them, which is when we drop the local attributes of our accent and try and internationalise it usually by trying to copy the dominant English accent, the US tv acccent.

The British do this too, as no Scouser or Glaswegian will speak with their thick local accents when abroad..... they change their English to the clearer accents. Language is about communication foremost, and though I don't like "funne", it's more than understandable when you are in an international crowd.

I disagree. There's a general Nigerian accent. This is the accent that is spoken without little to no mother tongue interference. This accent is also common in federal and private universities. For instance if you go to covenant university and pick two Nigerians of different ethnicities, you likely would not be able to tell they were of different ethnicities from their accent because they both speak little to no mother tongue interferences.

So yes theres a general Nigerian accent and their also regional accents. An Igbo man who grew up in his village would likely sound different from an Igbo man that grew up in the city. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are Nigerians of different ethnicities but they both speak a Nigerian accent

2 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Ubdavis(m): 8:43pm On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
Why do most Nigerians feel they need to change their accent when they speak with a foreigner? Nigerian accent is rated as one of the sexiest in the world. People should learn to embrace it.

We call them indigenous strangers .
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2020
Ryocaj:

I would av stopped to throw subtle shots at her.. Sweden that is not even up 2 half of lagosk terms of population.. Nigeria's GDP (PPP) is almost X3 of that of Sweden..

Swiss = Switzerland, and she wasn't really laughing at me, it was kind of like a smile.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by bionixs: 9:44pm On Mar 27, 2020
Dominatrix:

No no no, don't get me wrong. I'm friends with the guy in question so trust me I don't do unnecessary hate banter , but you know during the video call he turned the camera away for such a long tjme that it appear Idris got bored for a minute therr but was only trying to be polite. Lol
nice
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by AndroBlaze: 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2020
Sadteen:

I disagree. There's a general Nigerian accent. This is the accent that is spoken without little to no mother tongue interference. This accent is also common in federal and private universities. For instance if you go to covenant university and pick two Nigerians of different ethnicities, you likely would not be able to tell they were of different ethnicities from their accent because they both speak little to no mother tongue interferences.

So yes theres a general Nigerian accent and their also regional accents. An Igbo man who grew up in his village would likely sound different from an Igbo man that grew up in the city. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are Nigerians of different ethnicities but they both speak a Nigerian accent

Though your post makes sense, I feel you are mixing up a few things.

Firstly, IMO the late Chinua Achebe spoke with an accent where you could tell he was educated in the East. Though he and Soyinka both went to UI, he kept a slight Eastern twang that is audiblie. And even if you insist both sound alike, that generations accent is not similar to your typical Convenant generation you talked about earlier.

Now I do agree with you that it would be hard to tell the ethnicity of a typical Convenant student nowadays and that they sound similar. But I, nor the English Language, actually ever linked an accent to exclusively your ethnicity - I used the word groups when diccussing accents; as I am aware the main determiners of your accent are the people you learnt it from and that you practice it with.

So if we agree that a group of young people who go to Convenant and UNILAG and co have the same accent, which has little mother tounge influence, would we now call that the "Nigerian" accent? Does that mean we did not have a Nigerian accent in the 30's or 40's? Or what about the majority of the other millions who speak English and did not go to these privileged schools, are their accent snow in the minority?

So I do agree with you that their is a Nigerian young educated people accent with less mother tongue influence, however I do not think it has risen to such prominence that it should be called the "Nigerian Accent" and not just another nigerian accent like the many others accents of English we speak within this diverse country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON7-G0XqJrc

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by NACE13: 10:51pm On Mar 27, 2020
AndroBlaze:

I've not watched John Wick, but none of the other people you mentioned have a scouse accent, Chris is even Australian, though he does attempt to do a southern English accent in some movies.

My bad, I didn't delete what I wanted to post initially. I was gonna say I hate the scouse accent because they sound Scottish and Irish mixed together but I consider the standard British accent the sexiest; I love the way Idris Elba, Jason Statham and that man in John Wick speak. I also hate the way most ghetto black British speak, you know, that "grime rap" accent (Skepta and Stormzy).

So Chris is Australian?! Very difficult to tell British from Australian accent
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Coolgent(m): 12:01am On Mar 28, 2020
Joystark:
But the wardrobe big fa.
Gaskiya
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by aalangel(f): 1:53am On Mar 28, 2020
Laseye008:
Popular Nigeria comedian Ayo Makun who was captured in a video were he was checking up on his international brother/friend Idris Elba on Instagram live video and making enquire about his health ( Idris Elba was tested positive for convert 19).

The United kingdom star who as featured in so many award winning movies was so pure with his love as he shared how he isolated himself and his family.

Idris was so glue to Ay's house and wardrobe when he gave a nice comment about how big Ay's wardrobe then his house.

Ay's who also said he have to postpone his yearly show Ay live for safety.

Seen the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwp8Rs-Q5mc

Source: https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-MKBoTnplz/?igshid=1t0c2noxxcfrd

Poor write-up.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Amotekun777: 5:47am On Mar 28, 2020
EVILFOREST:

PEOPLE who do such feel insecure and less of a human.
I speak my Native Dialect everywhere. I speak it to my relatives and spouse.
In fact, I once taught IGBO Language in Downtown, Los Angeles.

One Day, I visited Nigeria with my spouse, and my DAD asked me, how my accent & and that of my spouse had remained the same despite all these years, that he taught the moment people relocated, they dropped many things including the way they spoke.
I laughed and said, it's better I learn and hear what they are saying than 4 dem to understand everything I say with my people.

MEXICANS, in the US never teach their kids English.
They soak their kids in SPANISH. In fact, they play Spanish songs while driving. They do so because, they know their kids will eventually learn the English at school.

Of course ur dad expected ur accent to change cuz 95% of Igbos are known to be ashamed of their Igbotic nature.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nefort: 8:21am On Mar 28, 2020
lefulefu:
wich one is pure nigerian accent again.an ibo man sounds different from an hausa man while a calabar man sounds different from a yoruba man
Yes but there is still a common accent that Nigerians share.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Ryocaj(m): 9:49am On Mar 28, 2020
AdmiralDru:

Swiss = Switzerland, and she wasn't really laughing at me, it was kind of like a smile.
Oh didn't read it well.. I thought it was Swede.. hmm k
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by SaintRukiee: 1:53pm On Mar 28, 2020
Partner with a Nigeria News Update Website and get the privilege of being paid each time you share a post on your facebook or watch videos, view a post on the website, create a post and login to the website. You can start today with a one time registration fee of N1,500 and stand d chance to earn over 20k everyday Ask me how”. http:///2348080419205
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by ZULIK: 4:03pm On Mar 28, 2020
lefulefu:
abeg no go dere grin grin grin grin
be like say you be calabar pezin
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 28, 2020
ZULIK:
be like say you be calabar pezin
i no be calabar cheesy but i sabi their accent cheesy
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by opebiboy: 7:43pm On Mar 28, 2020
Arabiandude:

You think most of them have the money to? My brother, most of them are living take lives... Big houses, big cars and no money in their account
them no even get the big car or house. Na rent and hire purchase
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Nosocomephobia: 12:36am On Mar 31, 2020
Nosocomephobia:
a.y just want show us him wardrobe grin, Mehn i remember watching mtv base cribs and i was thinking when nigeria celebs will get to that level. The whole game has changed, Nigeria celebs doing it big.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Olamide Removes Dreadlocks, Dances To Show Off His Bald Head / Gozie Okeke Gospel Singer(aka Nshawa) Pregnants One Of The Gals N Destiny Kids! / VIDEO Young Secondary School Girl Having Sex In Class With Two Guys In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.