Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,252 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo (2020 Views)

Okorocha Reconciles Ohanaeze Ndigbo Warring Factions (pic) / We Will Resist Any Attempt To Remove Ekweremadu – Ohanaeze Ndigbo / Picture: Ohanaeze Ndigbo Congratulates Muhammadu Buhari - The Sun. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 1:43am On Dec 29, 2010
Guys, I've been thinking for awhile, now that the unity of Ndigbo is getting to the peak, what is actually the make-up of Ohanaeze Ndigbo? Which groups make up the organization? Do groups from Igbo areas of Edo and Benue, belong to the organization? I intend to start attending Ohanaeze meetings here in London. UmuIgbo, come let us discuss how best to make Ohanaeze Ndigbo to be more efficient and representative for our interests. I plan to start designing an advanced and befitting website for the organization since, I've discovered that there isn't any that fits that description. There are other ideas that I have but, let me hear from you all first.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by revolt(m): 8:51am On Dec 29, 2010
Nice one you better get prepared you've got a large task ahead of u.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by gogo13233: 10:15am On Dec 29, 2010
revolt:

MISTER WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY AND WE THE IGBOS WILL DO IT.YOU KNOW LITTLE OF HISTORY,YOU CANT OPPRESS ANY RACE FOR EVER, ASK THE HAUSA FULANI, THE SUN HAS DEFINITELY SET ON THEM, INJUSTICE CAN NOT STAND FOR EVER
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by AndreUweh(m): 10:43am On Dec 29, 2010
@the poster. Thanks for your interest in Ohanaeze U.K chapter. The Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo is not an individual organisation. Groups rather than individuals affiliate to Ohanaeze U.K. For example, Izu Anioma, Etche descendants Union, Ngwa welfare Union, Uboma Welfare association etc.
The president Gen is Dr Uzoalor--Anambra.
Sec-gen--Chief Oka kanma--Ebonyi.
Deputy president--Chief Ushiedo--Delta.
At the moment, members are drawn from SOUTH EAST STATES as well as Delta and Rivers states.
I will post more after office hours.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 11:04am On Dec 29, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@the poster. Thanks for your interest in Ohanaeze U.K chapter. The Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo is not an individual organisation. Groups rather than individuals affiliate to Ohanaeze U.K. For example, Izu Anioma, Etche descendants Union, Ngwa welfare Union, Uboma Welfare association etc.
The president Gen is Dr Uzoalor--Anambra.
Sec-gen--Chief Oka kanma--Ebonyi.
Deputy president--Chief Ushiedo--Delta.
  At the moment, members are drawn from SOUTH EAST STATES as well as Delta and Rivers states.
I will post more after office hours.

Nwanne, thanks. I've got so many things I would like to put across for discussion.

gogo13233:

MISTER WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY AND WE THE IGBOS WILL DO IT.YOU KNOW LITTLE OF HISTORY,YOU CANT OPPRESS ANY RACE FOR EVER, ASK THE HAUSA FULANI, THE SUN HAS DEFINITELY SET ON THEM, INJUSTICE CAN NOT STAND FOR EVER

We rise, never to fall anymore! I can feel the force!

revolt:

I say, bring it on. They're tasks I'll gladly accomplish free-of-charge. More about contributing my dues to my people. Igbo Kwenu!!!
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by houvest: 7:24pm On Dec 29, 2010
@ OP
Beautiful constructive post. More contributions on things to bring us together needed. forget the naysayers.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by OchiAgha2(m): 7:27pm On Dec 29, 2010
Does anyone know of a local chapter in Maryland?
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by revolt(m): 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2010
Well the structural make up of igbos and ohanaeze is quite ambigous. You'll need contributions from various towns eg the culture behaviour beliefs and values of the onitsha man differs from the mbaitoli hope you get ma point and pls gogo I'm on the posters side here.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 11:47pm On Dec 29, 2010
We're in the 21st century and since about 70% of Nigerians are youths, it goes to say that most of us (if not all of us) on nairaland are youths. With this, we need 21st century ideas to progress. Collectively, we could develop concrete ideas here on nairaland for the benefit and welfare of our people. We all agree that Igboland is a nation or, could be regarded as such.

Debatable Progressive Ideas:

1) I've been discussing with a few like-minds about the possibility of registering all Ndigbo - both in Nigeria and in diaspora - on a central database. There'll be a registration of births and deaths, just as it is done in developed countries.

2) Drastic decrease of abuse of important traditional titles in Igboland such as Ikemba, Dikedioramma, Dike Ndigbo ji-eje mba etc. Also, there should be a reorientation on use of the word "Chief" as,  this is not an Igbo name. We should endeavour to replace it with the name; Dike (which by the way, is a proper Igbo name similar to English version of being a knight (SIR). We should also make sure that people who are made Dike, are worthy sons of Ndigbo of which Ndigbo respect unlike nowadays that anyone with some cash to spare, could "buy-off" certain people in other to be titled. We need dignity and integrity to be associated with such titles and, the people whom have been privileged to bear them.

3) Completion of Asusu Igbo. It goes without saying that some Ndigbo (and they're rising), can't speak our beloved language. Infact, Alaigbo is a nation where foreign languages such as English, are "more sexy" to be spoken than the NATIVE asusu Igbo itself. This is a shame and indeed, a major sign of the ultimate demise of a nation - no matter where the nation is situated.

4) Major reorientation of Ndigbo. Again, just like the issue of our language, to say that our culture is fast becoming extinct, is stating the obvious.

We need a strong Igbo ideology which is embedded and encompases our language, culture, dressing, relationships and sense of self-worth. This would not be based on radicalism as we're not setting out to "lord it over" other ethinic groups neither are we trying to inflate our collective self-worth beyond our imagination.
There should be a true desire to see Alaigbo as the ultimate holy land for us - and not Jerusalem.
Guys, I could go on and on. I've/we've got many ideas but, we need to start somewhere. Lets not fold our arms and expect Ohanaeze to do everything for us. We should be the changes that we seek. This is grassroot changes and mobilization at its best. We already have a thread here. Lets start these discussions. Igbo Kwenu!!!
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by experience(m): 11:59pm On Dec 29, 2010
dem_people:

We're in the 21st century and since about 70% of Nigerians are youths, it goes to say that most of us (if not all of us) on nairaland are youths. With this, we need 21st century ideas to progress. Collectively, we could develop concrete ideas here on nairaland for the benefit and welfare of our people. We all agree that Igboland is a nation or, could be regarded as such.

1) I've been discussing with a few like-minds about the possibility of registering all Ndigbo - both in Nigeria and in diaspora - on a central database. There'll be a registration of births and deaths, just as it is done in developed countries.

2) Drastic decrease of abuse of important traditional titles in Igboland such as Ikemba, Dikedioramma, Dike Ndigbo ji-eje mba etc. Also, there should be a reorientation on use the word "Chief" as, this is not an Igbo name. We should endeavour to replace it with the name; Dike (which by the way, is a proper Igbo name similar to English version of being a knight (SIR). We should also make sure that people who are make Dike, are worthy sons of Igbo of which Ndigbo respect unlike nowadays that anyone with some cash to spare, could "buy-off" certain people in other to be titled. We need dignity and integrity to be associated with such titles and, the people whom have been privileged to bear them.

3) Completion of Asusu Igbo. It goes without saying that some Ndigbo (and they're rising), can't speak our beloved language. Infact, Alaigbo is a nation where foreign languages such as English, are "more sexy" to be spoken than the NATIVE asusu Igbo itself. This is a shame and indeed, a major sign of the ultimate demise of a nation - no matter where the nation is situated.

4) Major reorientation of Ndigbo. Again, just like the issue of our language, to say that our culture is fast becoming extinct, is stating the obvious.

Guys, I could go on and on. I've/we've got many ideas but, we need to start somewhere. Lets not fold our arms and expect Ohanaeze to do everything for us. We should be the changes that we seek. This is grassroot changes and mobilization at its best. We already have a thread here. Lets start these discussions.

I'm with you on this; been thinking about the points you raised as well. Not too comfortable with the location of this thread though. Could it be moved to the culture section? There's loads to discuss . . . .
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by udezue(m): 3:54am On Dec 30, 2010
Beautiful
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 4:53am On Dec 30, 2010
Udezue, check your mailbox. I sent a message.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by ChinenyeN(m): 6:22am On Dec 30, 2010
Why is this in politics?
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by babapupa: 6:32am On Dec 30, 2010
Ibo people and their insecurity issues sha. una no dey taya ni?
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by revolt(m): 8:29am On Dec 30, 2010
Babapupu Jes cnt stay wtout porknozn into igbo. I know he seriously wishes he was one of us.we CAn accept but u have to drop the Yoruba mentally of fear of competition ie don't give them chance or they'll overdo!!!!! Awolowo style.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by aljharem(m): 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2010
babapupa:

do not worry, we will gradually change,,, it is just the ones on nairaland

we igbos are free but the ones in america are just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 2:19pm On Dec 31, 2010
babapupa:

Omo na wa oo. Wetin bring u come here? Abi dem no get Afenifere? Make u go join your brothers naa. wink  cool

alj harem:

do not worry, we will gradually change,,, it is just the ones on nairaland

we igbos are free but the ones in america are just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Alhaji Harem Uche Ciroma or wetin be your name again, u sef. U no dee tire at all at all. U don come here make u come put sand for our garri. No worries. I go soon depot u to chad, Niger republic,  Borno. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by aljharem(m): 3:07pm On Dec 31, 2010
dem_people:

Omo na wa oo. Wetin bring u come here? Abi dem no get Afenifere? Make u go join your brothers naa. wink  cool

Alhaji Harem Uche Ciroma or wetin be your name again, u sef. U no dee tire at all at all. U don come here make u come put sand for our garri. No worries. I go soon depot u to chad, Niger republic,  Borno. grin grin grin grin grin

brother, i be nigerian citizen grin grin grin

but i love my people smiley smiley seriously smiley
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by houvest: 2:40pm On Jan 01, 2011
dem_people:

2) Drastic decrease of abuse of important traditional titles in Igboland such as Ikemba, Dikedioramma, Dike Ndigbo ji-eje mba etc. Also, there should be a reorientation on use of the word "Chief" as, this is not an Igbo name. We should endeavour to replace it with the name; Dike (which by the way, is a proper Igbo name similar to English version of being a knight (SIR). We should also make sure that people who are made Dike, are worthy sons of Ndigbo of which Ndigbo respect unlike nowadays that anyone with some cash to spare, could "buy-off" certain people in other to be titled. We need dignity and integrity to be associated with such titles and, the people whom have been privileged to bear them.

We need a strong Igbo ideology which is embedded and encompases our language, culture, dressing, relationships and sense of self-worth. This would not be based on radicalism as we're not setting out to "lord it over" other ethinic groups neither are we trying to inflate our collective self-worth beyond our imagination.
There should be a true desire to see Alaigbo as the ultimate holy land for us - and not Jerusalem.
Guys, I could go on and on. I've/we've got many ideas but, we need to start somewhere. Lets not fold our arms and expect Ohanaeze to do everything for us. We should be the changes that we seek. This is grassroot changes and mobilization at its best. We already have a thread here. Lets start these discussions. Igbo Kwenu!!!
##

Another fine one dempeople
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by Dede1(m): 4:39pm On Jan 01, 2011
dem_people:

2) Drastic decrease of abuse of important traditional titles in Igboland such as Ikemba, Dikedioramma, Dike Ndigbo ji-eje mba etc. Also, there should be a reorientation on use of the word "Chief" as,  this is not an Igbo name. We should endeavour to replace it with the name; Dike (which by the way, is a proper Igbo name similar to English version of being a knight (SIR). We should also make sure that people who are made Dike, are worthy sons of Ndigbo of which Ndigbo respect unlike nowadays that anyone with some cash to spare, could "buy-off" certain people in other to be titled. We need dignity and integrity to be associated with such titles and, the people whom have been privileged to bear them.

I guess you meant something else and wrote another. The first paragraph of this post almost sent me looking the other way. I really did not understand the idea of 21st century as oppose to centuries of yesteryears. 

Also, I do not think “Dike” has anything to do with Knight and acronym (SIR). As in other traditions, Igbo tradition is very rigid and can not tolerate the cavalierly approach of the so-called 21st century. However, there still could be subtle fundamental changes.

By the way, I appreciate the issues raised in the post.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 4:55pm On Jan 01, 2011
Dede1:

I guess you meant something else and wrote another. The first paragraph of this post almost sent me the looking other way. I really did not understand the idea of 21st century as oppose to centuries of yesteryears.

Also, I do not think “Dike” has anything to do with Knight and acronym (SIR). As in other traditions, Igbo tradition is very rigid and can not tolerate the cavalierly approach of the so-called 21st century. However, there still could be subtle fundamental changes.

By the way, I appreciate the issues raised in the post.

Dede1,

Every society needs 21st century (or latest) ideas to progress - whether it likes it or not and, the Igbo nation isn't an exception. Without sounding melodramatic over my posts, this was entirely a thread were I originally intended to discuss the Structural make-up of Ohanaeze Ndigbo - as I'm unaware of its structure - as well as debate some of the issues which affect us as Ndigbo. Where I might've been wrong in my suggestions, it could be forgiven after all, we're all here to debate issues dear to us.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by Dede1(m): 5:19pm On Jan 01, 2011
dem_people:

Dede1,

Every society needs 21st century (or latest) ideas to progress - whether it likes it or not and, the Igbo nation isn't an exception. Without sounding melodramatic over my posts, this was entirely a thread were I originally intended to discuss the Structural make-up of Ohanaeze Ndigbo - as I'm unaware of its structure - as well as debate some of the issues which affect us as Ndigbo. Where I might've been wrong in my suggestions, it could be forgiven after all, we're all here to debate issues dear to us.

Please elaborate more on the idea of 21st century as pertaining to Igbo tradition and culture. Again, you wrote “We need a strong Igbo ideology which is embedded and encompases our language, culture, dressing, relationships and sense of self-worth. This would not be based on radicalism as we're not setting out to "lord it over" other ethinic groups neither are we trying to inflate our collective self-worth beyond our imagination.” I agree on parts of this statement.

However, I do not understand how the manner which Ndigbo pursue its tradition would be a matter of concern to other ethnic groups. Bros, I am with you on going back to fundamentals of Igbo culture and tradition. I am schooled on Igbo culture and tradition to certain extent. For example, the marriage procedures of today are alien to those of yesteryears. Probably, it could be the idea of 21st century you referred in your post.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by ChinenyeN(m): 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2011
dem_people:

I originally intended to discuss the Structural make-up of Ohanaeze Ndigbo - as I'm unaware of its structure
I too would really like to understand this structure. Andre, where are you to give your input? You seem to be versed in topics concerning this group.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by dempeople(m): 3:48am On Jan 02, 2011
Dede1:

Please elaborate more on the idea of 21st century as pertaining to Igbo tradition and culture. Again, you wrote “We need a strong Igbo ideology which is embedded and encompases our language, culture, dressing, relationships and sense of self-worth. This would not be based on radicalism as we're not setting out to "lord it over" other ethinic groups neither are we trying to inflate our collective self-worth beyond our imagination.” I agree on parts of this statement.

However, I do not understand how the manner which Ndigbo pursue its tradition would be a matter of concern to other ethnic groups. Bros, I am with you on going back to fundamentals of Igbo culture and tradition. I am schooled on Igbo culture and tradition to certain extent. For example, the marriage procedures of today are alien to those of yesteryears. Probably, it could be the idea of 21st century you referred in your post.   

When I wrote about 21st century ideas, I actually wasn't referring to the traditional systems of Ndigbo but, to the general welfare of Ndigbo in this present age of the 21st century. I believe I highlighted some of the issues concerning us under the bolded headline: Debatable Progressive Ideas.
A typical idea is the issue of the registration of all Ndigbo on a centrally managed database etc.

"This would not be based on radicalism as we're not setting out to "lord it over" other ethinic groups neither are we trying to inflate our collective self-worth beyond our imagination"

What I meant is that in pursuing a strong Igbo ideology required to galvanise our reorientation, interests and the likes, we should be cautious on how we conduct ourselves about these programmes. There've been painful events that've cost us severely in the past such as the actions of Nzeogwu and the civil war - all of which portrayed our people in bad light.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by macjive01: 10:39am On Jan 02, 2011
Dear poster, are u still interested in re-organising the ohaneze structure? cud u send me an email pls I hv got lots of ideas on fortifying the structure of ohaneze ndi Igbo and actually mk it a lot more relevant than it is today.
Cheers
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by Dede1(m): 4:10pm On Jan 02, 2011
dem_people:

When I wrote about 21st century ideas, I actually wasn't referring to the traditional systems of Ndigbo but, to the general welfare of Ndigbo in this present age of the 21st century. I believe I highlighted some of the issues concerning us under the bolded headline: Debatable Progressive Ideas.
A typical idea is the issue of the registration of all Ndigbo on a centrally managed database etc.

"This would not be based on radicalism as we're not setting out to "lord it over" other ethinic groups neither are we trying to inflate our collective self-worth beyond our imagination"

What I meant is that in pursuing a strong Igbo ideology required to galvanise our reorientation, interests and the likes, we should be cautious on how we conduct ourselves about these programmes. There've been painful events that've cost us severely in the past such as the actions of Nzeogwu and the civil war - all of which portrayed our people in bad light.

Just for the sake of the moment, the idea of the registration of Ndigbo on a centrally managed database would be an idea ahead of its time and place. Such endeavor would be futile effort as Ndigbo are currently part of a dilapidated Nigeria.

It could have being a wonderful idea if Republic of Igbo-land existed. Baring concerted efforts to sabotage the aforementioned database within the unique form of Nigeria; I say good idea including etiquette and manner of dressing. But we must bear in mind that certain Igbo traditional dressing flows from sort of social strata. 

I disagree that the actions of Nzeogwu and the civil war portray Ndigbo in bad light. In fact, I can not continue this discussion of Nzeogwu and civil war on this Igbo traditionally inclined post.
Re: The Structural Make-Up Of Ohanaeze Ndigbo by HeartToHeart: 1:28am On Nov 17, 2014
Memo
To: “Ndigbo” Worldwide
Topics: i. Closed Circuit TV in Homes
ii. Clean up the Police, Police will clean up the Society
Since Nzeogwu’s or Jerry Rawlings type of coup can no longer be possible in modern Nigeria, I think it is high time Ndigbo started thinking about their zone. Charity begins at home and as we make our bed, so we will lie on it. My focus in this write up is on what South East society needs to do for its continued existence in a country where the political party is voted for and not the individual. This is in relation to what the security situation is at the moment. I will explain why the present system of policing is no longer suitable for the South East. The whole country cannot develop at the same pace. Nigeria can use South East as a case study just as American states are looking at the state of Colorado and its Indian hemp liberalization law. Is the South East going to continue to keep a police force or look for police service? Force aspect of law enforcement is a subsection in police service. How detrimental to south east society is the present arrangement of flooding south east police stations with northern Muslim police officers who do not understand our language? I will describe the type of police we need and how we can get it. Lastly, I will describe how we can use our wartime experience to handle obstacles –“Aghazirim uche”. Since charity begins at home, I want to talk on home security before writing on general security of the South East zone.
The security situation in Nigeria is becoming more unpredictable and scary. For home security, the best option is to install a CCTV. The equipment costs only ₦300,000 for eight cameras and the digital box. Go to the internet on your phone, Google, Closed Circuit TV.Com. You will see assorted types, their prices and capabilities. The cheapest camera is about ₦3,000. This is good for the kitchen, parlor/living room and inside the compound. The second category is more expensive and costs about ₦15,000. It can be infrared, vandal proof, records color and in total darkness. This is best for the gate and four corners of the wall/fence. If you are lazy, a procrastinator or do not have the time, talk to your local electrician or former NEPA guys. Having a closed circuit TV will enable you see from the inside or from your cell phone (if you are away from home) whatever is going on in and around your compound. The camera at the gate lets you know when Boko Haram in police or Army uniform is at the gate. If you ever get into such situation, you and other adults at home will have enough time to make calls to the local vigilante, neighbors, friends and/or police. Note that some digital boxes handle up to twenty four cameras. Surveillance cameras can be in many compounds while the box is kept in the one at the center. Apart from security, CCTV helps in keeping records for your children and future great grand children. Your present compound can never look the same in 50-100 years time. You can never guess what your great grand children will be doing in future. Many years ago, when kidnapping was only in the South South, most people never thought it will spread all over the country. Today, Boko Haram is indirectly advertising the use of bombs. Here in the United States, secondary school kids or any person with little knowledge of chemistry and physics can make a bomb. Bomb making materials like fertilizer and diesel are within anybody’s reach. The internet is readily available too for lessons in anything good or bad. The cameras at the gates covering parts of the access road will be of benefit to the state. The state will intelligently combine these individual efforts for the collective good of the society.
Americans say that keeping a country safe means starting young. This is why America made primary and secondary education compulsory for every child of school age. These include children visiting the United States with their parents any time schools are in session. America is very cautious in anything relating to the upbringing of children. At your spare time, gather ten or more children of elementary school age. That is, seven to eleven years old. Provide some biscuits and soft drinks. Ask them their impression of the police. Most will giggle, then look at you in the face and tell you that the police takes bribe and that the police kills people. Children do not know the meaning of bribe. They only associate it with the police. It is left to you to imagine the future relationship of this child with the police. This is irrespective of the country the child travels to as an adult. Police work became more organized at about 1100 A.D. in England as a community organized police service--Cops. Police is a service provider. It is very similar to teaching in the elementary school. The teacher deals with pupil and the parents, but the police deals with the A to Z in the community.
The greatest problem the South East has is what an American diplomat in the Punch issue of 13th of July 2014 described as security sector corruption and mismanagement. To solve this problem, police service in the south east has to stop at the DPO level. The officers above the DPO including members of the police service commission and ministry of police affairs are responsible for the high level of corruption in the service: There is nothing that these individuals do that a court judge, local government chairman and councilors cannot do without increase in salary. It is in this (above the DPO) group you find people who embezzle police pension fund. It is in this group you have people who confiscate the money allocated for the renovation of police colleges and barracks. It is in this group you have people who pocket whatever is budgeted for police uniforms, be it rain coat, boots and every paraphernalia needed for modern policing. It is in this group you have those who have squads. A squad is made up of about four or five young officers. There are IG’s boys, DIG, AIG, Commissioners and assistant commissioner’s boys. No one knows how many squads each of these executives has. The IG and departmental heads probably has thirty six squads each. In addition to the squads, most if not all the police stations in the South East is dominated by rank and file officers recommended by these executives. The motive behind all these is simply financial –“egunje”. Some of these executives’ boys are responsible for extra-judicial killings at police stations, they engage in assassinations once the price is right. An example is the killing of former Kwara state commissioner of police Mr. Asadu in early 2013. As soon as the investigation starts showing police involvement, espirit de corp comes in, the investigation sinks midstream. For pipeline vandals to succeed in getting the product and selling it comfortably, they must settle the police more especially the executive’s boys. This is one of the major reasons twenty four hour electricity will not be possible in the South East. It may be possible if the new owners of the power plants approach the five commissioners of police in the south east and guarantee them a certain amount of money each month. If the Nigeria police tells you that there will no longer be pipeline Vandalism in the former eastern Nigeria, trust them, they can do it provided the pipeline is not in the Atlantic Ocean.
The IG and his commissioners made a law that every tinted car should carry a paper signed by the commissioner. Their reason is that people commit crimes with such vehicles. When you look at the paper, you cannot see a computer chip or strange object attached. That is, something that could trigger an alarm either in the vehicle or at the commissioner’s office when the vehicle is being used in committing a crime. If not for the envelope collected from the applicants, why can’t the post master or motor licensing offices issue such papers? The same applies to Nigeria police using indiscriminate arrest as a pattern of intelligence gathering. According to newspaper reports at the time, more than five hundred people were arrested three days after the killing of Mr. Asadu. However, as at August 2014, Nigeria police has not explained to Nigerians who and the motive behind the killing. As a result, indiscriminate arrest is simply used to collect money. The same applies to police checkpoints. America has 53,000 gun shops. There are hundreds of gun shows where people can buy any type and quantity of guns without identification. All the illegal drugs in the world have America as their biggest market. Despite all these, there are no police checkpoints in America. The main reason being that checkpoints impede commerce. South East has no ocean for fishing or fish farming. We do not have enough land for agriculture. Commerce is all we depend on. That commerce is being impeded by the activities of the police that is supposed to promote it.
Under no circumstances should citizens leave their locality to the state capital for anything relating to police. It is expensive and cumbersome. The police and school teachers are the closest government functionaries to the citizens. I cannot think of any country in the civilized world where citizen’s complaint about the police is handled by the police. Here in the United States, the FBI handles such complaints. The DSS or SSS should take over citizen complaint about Nigeria police. This will put a stop to most assassinations and extra judicial killings by the police.
The federal government should gather all the executives above the rank of DPO and split them equally among all the federal and state government ministries as Inspectors generals, just as we have in the United States. These inspector generals should have nothing to do with the inspector general of police who will only be responsible for police colleges and training. The new inspector generals should be reporting to the states attorney generals, for those in state ministries and the federal attorney general for those in federal government ministries. No one needs to tell an experienced educated ex policeman what to do in a government ministry. It will be big man deal with big men. I am confident that in less than one year, crime and corruption will be cut by at least eighty percent. Those high ranking ministry officials that come here (US) and buy four or more brand new cars and pay cash can no longer do it with impurity.
The police in my dream will emerge when the inspector general calls or writes to inform the local governments that they can now recruit their own police. That, out of a L.G allocation of 300 policemen, 100 can be indigenes of the L.G or South Easterners. The remaining 200 must be split equally among the remaining five zones in the country. The local government will ask the sons and daughters who are marrying or married to non South Easterners to recommend their in laws. This will enable us know who these our brothers and sisters are sleeping with. People like Musa, Olusegun and Bassey who have been living at the LG for a very long time can recommend their family members and relatives for recruitment into the service. They will be made to understand that they are responsible for the initial accommodation if whoever they recommended is recruited. No police officer will be allowed to sleep in the office. If the recommender is handicapped as far as accommodation is concerned, he or she will contact those of us living outside Nigeria who have uninhabited houses at home for assistance. The influence of the recommender plus the public’s awareness that this officer will not go on transfer (unless he decides) qualifies him or her for loan from indigenes and residents. While at the Temporary shelter or half way house, the officer can save or borrow some money and furnish a flat to his taste or buy a plot of land in the community and build a boy’s quarter. The officer will have the opportunity of living with some of his or her family members. This will cut his travel time out of the station, save him and his family some money and risks associated with travelling on Nigeria roads. Compare this to what is going on now, where a ten year veteran of the police must have lived in four different zones. Has a motorcycle with knocked engine in Badagry, a complete bedroom set in Makurdi, a couch and love seat in Calabar, presently working at Atani and he is a native of Ekiti state.
Off duty police officers will be allowed to work for citizens within the local government area in uniform and their gun and keep the money. We will start seeing police officers gather few kids in the neighborhood and become their lesson teacher or football coach. The public, particularly children will start seeing the police differently, not as bribe takers and killers. The PSC will be made up of about fifty or more retired individuals who will be volunteers. The type of people who can give to the police and make the public aware of problems of their police; not the type that takes from the police budget. There are more than 1.5 Million Nigerians in the United States. Half of this number is from the former Eastern Nigerian. There is no community in the South East that has a police station that does not have at least ten adults in the United States. We have different town unions here. Through these organizations, we will computerize every police station in the South East. Each town union will employ two or three persons to handle the electronics. Every felony suspect that is brought to a police station must have his or her finger print, photograph, DNA (blood sample) and address or addresses on records. Four years old fairly used police cars here costs about $4,000 each. Town unions in America will send enough patrol vehicles to their home police stations. Two police officers will be assigned one patrol vehicle.
All police officers above the rank of DPO have to leave the South East as soon as possible because police work is athletic and not an executive job. The federal government will get information it needs by email. This is what President Obama describes as using modern technologies to break old rules. The executives are not only useless to the society; they constitute a nuisance to law enforcement profession. Secondly, every northern Muslim policeman in the South East should leave unless those married to Easterners and those who can speak Igbo language. Police work requires good local intelligence. A police officer is totally useless if he or she has nothing in common with the community. For example, a Northerner Christian has something (Christianity) in common with the South East than a Northerner Muslim. A South west Muslim is at peace with South West Christians while the Northern Muslim is not at peace with the Northern Christians.
If anyone in the group ( above DPO) refuses to either leave or resign from the police, we as the society suffering in the present arrangement have every right to force that person out of the South East. Don’t ever consider using Abuja, because you must fail like the Ajaokuta Iron and steel industry. Nigeria depends on the opinion of retired individuals in decision making while other developed or developing countries depend on research from colleges and universities. This is why Nigeria remains behind countries like Brazil, India, South Korea and Malaysia not to talk of China. Nigeria is like a secondary school biology teacher in 2014 who prepares his lessons and shows up in the class room with the 1965 edition of Stone and Cozens. In an academic or developmental race, those who depend on the 1965 edition will be moving at a snail’s speed while those who depend on modern editions will be moving at the speed of the cheetah.
Do not forget our names, Aghazirimuche, Ozoemena, Tabugo, Igwebuike and so on. May the God of Israel continue to be with Ndigbo.
Emmanuel Izuchukwu attended Police College Enugu in 1975, worked in Nigeria customs for 7 years, and has a B.Sc. degree in criminal Justice (Law Enforcement / Correction tracks) and a Masters Degree in Management Investigations.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Seun Osewa Of Nairaland Wins House Of Rep In Ogun State / Show Me The Map Of Boko Haram Country. It Is Possible. / Wise Code Messages Sent Out Online By 9/11 Conspirators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.