Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? (1865 Views)

Saraki Or Tinubu? Who Rocks It Better? / Battle Of Party Headties, Who Wore It Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by lagbaja20: 3:04pm On Dec 29, 2010
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by lagbaja20: 3:06pm On Dec 29, 2010
Whose fault is it that we speak English the way we do?

What can we do to make it better?
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 29, 2010
lol
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by dempeople(m): 8:57am On Dec 30, 2010
First and foremost, English isn't our native language. Its not even our mother tongue. Its a language that was "lorded" over us by the British Empire, to the detriment of our collective languages. Africans and inferiority complex goes hand in hand. You should ask yourself, Why do Nigerians cherish the English language to an extent of using it as a medium to gauge someone's intellect? I'm not a fan of the English language because, it hinders our cultural development and induces inferiority complex on our people by making them aspire to communicate similarly to the native speakers of the language.

What we really need, is a language which is native to Nigeria. There should be a general consensus among the people on which minority language should be enhanced to be the lingua franca. By doing this, it would enable us to look inwardly into our culture, self -worth etc thereby, eliminating inferiority complex tendencies. We shouldn't be proud that we speak English. If anything, we should feel shame that a foreign country was able to conquer and manipulate us into using their language. SMH sad. Africa needs to wake up.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:05am On Dec 30, 2010
Who was the female judge in the black on the left (or to the right of the bald guy)? I'd hit that.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by lagbaja20: 9:08am On Dec 30, 2010
^^^

I dont think you are 'education' enough to hit that

Her name is Funmi Abere i think!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:33am On Dec 30, 2010
Thanks. I think it's Funmi Abari. After seeing a few more pics, she's not as good looking as I thought, but I'd still hit.

I'm very education. Been to good educational isitutions. I just hope she isn't a elesibian.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by lagbaja20: 9:40am On Dec 30, 2010
^^^

I knew you were not 'education' and not 'eqwual' to her

Her name is Remi Abere, not Funmi Abari

A university of Ife graduate, Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountant and Chartered Accountant of Nigeria. Remi has a diverse career incorporating experience in Banking, Operational & Project Management, Training, Human Resource and Fashion Design.

An experienced entrepreneur who has helped set up a number of small and medium size companies including Data Capture Company, an Internet Service Provider and a training outfit. She possesses excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills and has the ability to develop and maintain productive internal and external relationships.

Trained as an executive coach at the Kaplan University U.S. and a life coach at Coaching and Mentoring International U.K.

she strongly believes ‘that you can get everything in life you want if you help enough people get what they want – Zig Zigler Remi Abere is also a wellness coach, and has delivered a few workshops.

She believes that being well in mind, body and spirit is the key to true happiness and inner peace. Remi is the current President of the premier Toastmasters International Club in Nigeria, the Eagles Club, a keen speaker and workshop facilitator.

She is currently the Project Director of Credit Awareness Nigeria a non profit organisation involved in a national wide project to increase financial inclusion and the financial literacy level in Nigeria. Remi has recently taken up Yoga. She is a keen biker, enjoys swimming and has a passion for adventure. She is married with 5 kids.

Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:54am On Dec 30, 2010
Oh. Well there's some British Nigerian Funmi Abari who was in some debate and I thought there was a connection there.

Both could get it.

That's all.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
Are you talking about how we speak it or how we use english to bring forth our point?

I see nothing wrong with our accents, just with the way we try to copy american accents.

I've seen doctors in nigeria who can't explain their procedures or diagnosis with simple english. It doesn't matter if english was or wasn't our native language. With what language were you taught throughout your schooling?
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by bkbabe97y(m): 7:06pm On Dec 30, 2010
Notice most Nigerians dont even know how to pronounce where they from!

Brooklyn Homie: Yo, son, where you from?

Ibo Man: I yam from [b]NINE[/b]geeriya!!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 7:21pm On Dec 30, 2010
bk.babe97y:

@bk.babe97y
Your obsession with anything Igbo should be a concern to your loved ones if you have any.
BTW am not Igbo this is just an observation.

@lagbaja20
Why exhibit this inferiority complex amongst your compatriots?
You need help bro if your only contribution to national discourse is state of the English language.
I think you have too much time on your hands. Make yourself useful by getting a job that don't require excellence in spoken English.
What a newt.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by dempeople(m): 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Your hatred for Ndigbo runs in your veins. Its part of your DNA make-up. Get a life!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by bkbabe97y(m): 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

@bk.babe97y
Your obsession with anything Igbo should be a concern to your loved ones if you have any.
BTW am not Igbo this is just an observation.

Yeah, thanx for your observation. Now, CAN YOU FXCUK OFF?!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Yeah, thanx for your observation. Now, CAN YOU FXCUK OFF?!

Sorry my facts may be wrong but for someone who claims Hispanic ancestry what da fukk concern monkey with bonga fish?
Let it all out today.
Tell me in confidence, come on, speak to papi {your local psychiatrist}.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 30, 2010
bk.babe97y:

LOL grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

Sorry my facts may be wrong but for someone who claims Hispanic ancestry what da fukk concern monkey with bonga fish?
Let it all out today.
Tell me in confidence, come on, speak to papi {your local psychiatrist}.

Wetin concern Yam with your nationality?
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:06pm On Dec 30, 2010
@Aigbofa
Okay!!!!
Even craze man dey get friend. Lol!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:09pm On Dec 30, 2010
@Aigbofa
I was surprised at the speed you came to defend your friend. Tell me, do you all nutters leave in the same hospital? Am amazed Lol!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

@Aigbofa
I was surprised at the speed you came to defend your friend. Tell me, do you all nutters leave in the same hospital? Am amazed Lol!!!

Lame.

Try something else.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2010
Aigbofa:

Lame.

Try something else.

Where's your very ill sister bk.babe97y?
Tell her I'll be waiting for her here after she's done with her medication. Lol!!!
You guys are sick, sick Lol!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

Where's your very ill sister bk.babe97y?
Tell her I'll be waiting for her here after she's done with her medication. Lol!!!
You guys are sick, sick Lol!!!

I yam who I yam.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Beaf: 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2010
Una nefa see nutin! Dis can kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z43lm4-uYts?fs=1[/flash]

I somehow find myself posting this at the end of every year! grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/317132_ROTFLM_gif474f1382cac6aa709538e551d507cbfc
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

[I somehow find myself posting this at the end of every year! grin

LOL grin grin grin grin

Funny video
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

I somehow find myself posting this at the end of every year
! grin

Am begining to get worried about your health Beaf.
Do you like find yourself doing the same thing repeatedly? Lol!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Beaf: 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2010
Tippy Top:

Am begining to get worried about your health Beaf.
Do you like find yourself doing the same thing repeatedly? Lol!!!

Ol' boy! Those missiles that babe fired with such abandon can never ever clear from my hai's o!
Purely dangerous! grin
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

Ol' boy! Those missiles that babe fired with such abandon can never ever clear from my hai's o!
Purely dangerous! grin
Lol!!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2010
Beaf:

Purely dangerous! grin

The gunshot sound got me laughing.
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2010
Aigbofa:

I yam who I yam.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by morpheus24: 8:47pm On Dec 30, 2010
The best one. I want to be like Micheal joseph jackson because of how he forgived .When he was molested as a child. He forgived. When he was ridiculed he forgived
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by TippyTop(m): 8:51pm On Dec 30, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin

Sorry to ask this but do you struggle to form an opinion?
The entire site is filled with your fukkingg "emoticons".
Na by force to post. Jeeeeeeeeeze!!!!
Happy New You in advance. Laters!!!
Re: Nigerian English. . . What Can We Do To Make It Better? by SapeleGuy: 8:52pm On Dec 30, 2010
See as Gundelero Rita just dey fire shots like say she dey war front.

On a serious note, most of us are suffering delusions of grandeur.
Let us be frank, GCE pass rate was 2%, which means 98% failed.
Thanks to the combination of laziness, settlement mentality and the vagabonds in power.
Can we really expect anything better?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Side Of The Nationwide Strike / Why Nigerians Hate The IGBOS. / Nigeria May Disintegrate If Jonathan Contests In 2015 – Shuluwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.