Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC (881 Views)

All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / Reasons Why ACN And CPC Alliance Will Fail / ACN And CPC Have Failed To Reach An Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC by OchiAgha2(m): 6:27pm On Dec 29, 2010
Ambition rocks alliance talks between ACN and CPC

By Idris Akinbajo
December 28, 2010 12:45AM

Despite ongoing discussions between two major opposition parties, the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) and the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), findings by NEXT[b] indicate that the parties will field separate candidates in the 2011 elections.[/b]

Both parties have admitted being involved in negotiations which will lead to a merger or an alliance. While the ACN negotiation team is lead by Niyi Adebayo, former governor of Ekiti State, the CPC team is led by Aminu Masari, former speaker of the House of Representatives.

Sources within the ACN however confirm that for reasons including the short period before the general elections, the rigid positions of the parties and the rejection of the alliance by top members of the ACN, the proposed alliance would not work.

"Let me tell you that majority of our party leaders and members do not support it. Also, there is no time for any merger. We have less than four months to the elections, even the electoral act does not allow that," a national official of the ACN told NEXT. Apart from the four ACN governors (Babatunde Fashola of Lagos, Adams Oshiomole of Edo, Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti, and Rauf Aregbesola of Osun) who are reportedly opposed to the alliance, the chairman of the party, Bisi AKande, is also said to be against it.

Mr Akande's opposition is based on the insistence of the CPC that Muhammadu Buhari, a retired General and former military ruler, should be made the presidential candidate of any alliance that was formed. Mr. Buhari is not only the CPC's only presidential aspirant, the party was primarily formed to help him achieve his presidential ambition.

"The CPC was founded on my authority by my political associates as a solution to the debilitating ethical and ideological conflicts in my former party, the ANPP," the former head of state stated on the party's website.

Prior to the formation of the ACN, the Action Congress had stated that its presidential candidate for the 2011 elections would be a young man, a child of independence, who has demonstrated competence and integrity and is untainted with corruption allegations.

Party for the young

After his unopposed re-election at the ACN convention in Benin on Tuesday, Mr. Akande again restated this position in his acceptance speech.

"Now that the Action Congress of Nigeria and the entire people of this country are happy with the services of these young men (four ACN governors), I think you will all cooperate with me to ensure that we return another young man as the President of Nigeria," the party chairman stated while surrounded by the four governors.

Unlike Mr. Buhari who is 68 years old, all the presidential aspirants of the ACN are around 50. The Action Congress presently has three presidential aspirants. They are Uba Saidu Malami (46) a businessman; Attahiru Bafarawa (56), former governor of Sokoto State; and Nuhu Ribadu (50), former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Usman Bugaje, the former National Secretary of the party, is believed to have dropped his presidential ambition and will instead run for governor of Katsina state.

"We can say boldly that our party has the youngest and brightest presidential aspirants in the country," Lai Mohammed, the national publicity secretary of the ACN stated while commenting on the relatively young presidential aspirants of the party.

Another senior official of the party said barring last minute political upheavals, Mr. Ribadu will likely emerge the presidential candidate of the party.

Some of the factors believed to be working for Mr. Ribadu, apart from meeting the criteria the party set up, are his popularity not just within the ACN but also across different political parties, and his acceptance and popularity among young Nigerians.

Mr Ribadu proved his political acceptance when leaders gathered at the Thisday dome in Abuja on Tuesday, December 14 to launch his autobiography, "My Story, My vision." Describing the former EFCC boss, Ken Nnamani, former senate President and PDP chieftain stated that "Nuhu is one of the few Nigerians that I consider a good example.

The type of courage he has is the type of courage Nigeria needs if we indeed want to join the committee of Nations in the year 2020." Another PDP leader who clamoured for a Ribadu presidency is Femi Fani- Kayode, the former aviation minister.

"If a man like Ribadu emerges as your candidate, many many people from PDP, from APGA, will join your party," Mr. Fani-Kayode stated.

The National Chairman of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA), Victor Umeh, as well as other APGA chieftains are also said to be rooting for a Ribadu candidacy if they are to join any alliance.

The Tinubu factor

One person who many believe is going to influence the decision of whether the ACN picks Mr. Ribadu or joins forces with the CPC to pick Mr. Buhari as the presidential candidate is Bola Tinubu, former Lagos State governor and the most influential ACN chieftain.

"Asiwaju wants an alliance of progressive political parties to defeat the monster called PDP, that is why he is encouraging the talks. But definitely he supports that all presidential aspirants go for primaries," one of his aides said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Politics/5658241-146/ambition_rocks_alliance_talks_between_acn.csp
Re: Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC by OchiAgha2(m): 6:30pm On Dec 29, 2010
This thread is dedicated to my South-West brothers, dayokunu and eku_bear who I have been debating in the other threads. I hope they read this welcomed development. grin
Re: Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 29, 2010
There wont be any deal between ACN and CPC except Buhari will emerge the concensus candidate.

This is Buhari for you; he is only intrested in what is in it for Buhari.
Anybody hoping to reach a compromise with Buhari is simply wasting their valued time except they are ready to make him the undisputed Presidential candidate. The man must think he has devine right to run this country.

A man who failed in 2 previous elections, refuses to act a statesman by backing one of those who have previously backed him and still want to run himself even though he is now 70 can not be taken seriously. Expecially not when they will even go as far as forming a new party just to remain a perenial Presidential candidate.

Buhari is a liability in this election, if ACN reach any deal to make Buhari a Presidential candidate then its a landslide for PDP.
Re: Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC by ekubear1: 6:33am On Dec 30, 2010
Unfortunate if true; this year is the weakest the PDP is likely to be for a long time, so it makes sense to strike hardest now. No real chance of doing this unless a strong alliance is formed. Neither the ACN or CPC can defeat GEJ or even Atiku by themselves.

Ah well. All I expected this cycle was securing the SW; any further achievements would have been gravy for me.

The ACN can continue making inroads at the local level in other regions of the country (especially states controlled by minority ethnic groups); that is also a very worthy goal.
Re: Ambition Rocks Alliance Talks Between ACN And CPC by Akanbiedu(m): 4:02pm On Dec 30, 2010
Just like that! Somebody just deleted my post.

(1) (Reply)

Is Acn Different From Pdp In Ekiti State? / Now Commercial Buses Wear Goodluck Posters / Is Justice Ayo Salami A Rare Gem Or Does He Have Ulterior Motives?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.