Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,955 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder (2214 Views)

My Gas Cylinder Was Stolen Tonight / I Just Bought 12.5kg Gas At 9,250 Naira & This Happened / How To Check The Expiry Date Of Your Gas Cylinder To Avoid Explosion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by johnstin(m): 11:45am On Apr 04, 2020
Although I’m yet to set my blessed eyes on the updated list of the top 10 most horrific ways to kick the bucket, I have no atom of doubt in my mind that cooking directly on a fully filled 12.5kg camp gas cylinder, features prominently on the scary list.

The highly sagacious officials of the Standards Organization of Nigeria(SON), after deliberating extensively on the danger the inappropriate use of 12.5kg camp gas cylinder poses to the precious lives of the good people of Nigeria, made the right decision to outrightly prohibit it in the country.

Now, what constitutes the appropriate use of 12.5kg camp gas cylinder?

Fitting a gas regulator onto the valve of the cylinder and connecting it with an LPG hose or mild steel pipe to the gas cooker, is the appropriate use of 12.5kg camp gas cylinder.

Why is cooking directly on a fully filled 12.5kg camp gas cylinder very dangerous?

The 12.5kg camp gas cylinder is not equipped with a pressure relief valve, unlike a typical standard 12.5kg cylinder that is normally piped to the gas cooker.
What the pressure relief valve does is to relieve the pressure of gas in the cylinder when it approaches the cylinder’s maximum design pressure.

The implication of the absence of a pressure relief valve is that when the pressure of the gas inside the 12.5kg camp gas cylinder builds up beyond the maximum design pressure of the cylinder, it explodes.

At this juncture, it should be stated that an increase in the ambient temperature brought about by cooking directly on the filled 12.5kg camp gas causes a corresponding increase in the vapor pressure of the gas, which if sustained, eventually results in an explosion.

Another piece of relevant information is that the higher the quantity of gas in a cylinder, the higher the vapor pressure in that cylinder.
What this implies is that a 12.5kg camp gas cylinder filled with just 6kg of gas has a lower vapor pressure, and is consequently safer than a fully filled 12.5kg camp gas cylinder with a higher vapor pressure.

In addition, the likelihood of explosion rises exponentially in cases involving fake/substandard cylinders that have actual design pressures lower than their stated figures.

Conclusion

If you have decided to minimize to the barest minimum, your chances of ‘crossing over to the other side’ in explosive style, desist from cooking directly on a 12.5kg camp gas cylinder filled with LPG in excess of 7.5kg.
A word is enough for the cerebral.

https://www.niglpgas.com/Blogdetails.aspx?BlogId=7

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by Omololaeni(f): 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2020
It is well o
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by daddytime(m): 12:14pm On Apr 04, 2020
Informative, yet very scary.

Na God just dey save and protect us on a daily.

Ignorance is indeed lethal.
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by cassidy1996(m): 12:30pm On Apr 04, 2020
facts
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 04, 2020
A 12.5kg camp gas I’ve never seen that
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by faithfull18(f): 12:59pm On Apr 04, 2020
Hmmn.
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by frozen70(f): 6:05pm On Apr 04, 2020
yettymuse:
A 12.5kg camp gas I’ve never seen that

There are lots of people using it but I consider them to be fools
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by Ameboperoo(m): 7:58pm On Apr 04, 2020
But the same applies to 6kg, 3kg when filled to the brim.
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 05, 2020
If the government reliably pipes gas straight to our homes like other governments, they will not even need to ban it. I will dash it to them.

1 Like

Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by LadySarah: 3:18am On Apr 05, 2020
I fear all even if it's 2kg camp gas.

How can you keep fire n gas together?
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by KingZaddy(m): 4:33am On Apr 05, 2020
frozen70:

There are lots of people using it but I consider them to be fools
picture of the camp gas please
Re: Final Warning To Users Of 12.5kg Camp Gas Cylinder by LordKO(m): 5:29am On Apr 05, 2020
The danger has nothing to do with neither the size of the 12.5 KG gas cylinder nor cooking directly on a fully filled one - people in different climes have been safely cooking directly on even 3 KG fully filled gas cylinders, let alone a 12.5 KG cylinder.

The problem strictly lies in fake gas cylinders and SON hasn't been doing enough in this regard. With original cylinders the problem will be solved.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dna Test For Baby / Introducing Pedestrian Footbridge Advertising In Lagos State / The Best Way To Get A Spouse That Hardly Admit/apologize When He Is Wrong,to Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.