Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,239 members, 7,839,261 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria (4750 Views)

The Growing Increase of Homosexuality In Nigeria. / FG Under Pressure To Legalise Homosexuality- Foreign Minister / Homosexuality In Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by philip0906(m): 8:33pm On Dec 31, 2010
typical Blackman mentality. . .we r faced with loads of problems but legalising homosexuality seems more important undecided
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Rousseau: 8:33pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

culturally in Africa,homosexuality is a taboo and that cultural norms must be respected.it has nothing to do with civilization.

I have to disagree with you on that point. Many African cultures have practiced some sort of homosexuality on the continent of Africa. It just wasn't viewed in a way that we are viewing it now. In the central African Zande culture, before European conquest, it was regarded "as very sensible for a man to sleep with boys when women are not available or are taboo." An English anthropologist at the time Evans-Pritchard was told that in addition to times when women were not available for sex, some Azande men had sex with boys "just because they like them." Gender-crossing homosexuality was also common in the Hausa bori cult. Among the Maale of southern Ethiopia, some males crossed over to feminine roles. Called ashtime, these males dressed as women, performed female tasks, cared for their own houses, and apparently had sexual relations with men. As you can see, homosexuality has been present in many African cultures.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by cold(m): 8:34pm On Dec 31, 2010
A lot of peeps on here claiming they could care less whether a guy is gay or straight will not stand to hear their kids say 'daddy i'm gay'.That wld be the day
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 31, 2010
fstrangest:

What part of Yoruba culture prohibits homosexuality

Obviously, you dont know more about Yoruba culture than Prof. Wande Abimbola, and I have read and digested his opinion on homosexuality

You are talking from your arse, with no evidence whatsoever

BTW, how did you come up with the idea that the planet has a right to self preservation?
maybe you should tell me the parts of yorubaland that tolerate homosexuality tongue angry
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by fstrangest: 8:35pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Most views against homosexuality come from religion,culture,moral,independent view but preservation of the earth itself dates back to the

natural order of things.Marriage has always been defined between ''a man and a woman'' until of recent when ''two consenting adults' was introduced to

re-define a natural phenomenon simply because some people felt attracted to their fellow sex.why did God not create Adam and another man ?

And who told you God created Adams and Eve?

You need to read the Origin of species for better understanding of how we came about.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by isalegan2: 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2010
eku_bear:

Homosexuality doesn't affect the life of heterosexuals in any real way.

If anything, more gay dudes = less competition for beautiful women!  grin grin grin

I know you're just kidding.  At least I hope so.  tongue   Congratulations on winning politics sextion poster 2010.  Dunno why the name change.  Happy new year in advance!

udennaa:

Never,not in nijja.the two major religion are against it n nigerians are too religious to allow such malady.

~Bluetooth:

I'm sure the wild animals would not accommodate them if we send the  to the wild forest.

we can't sacrifice sanity for the sake of some pervs

All good points.  But I don't even feel the pressure to defend why homosexuality is and should remain a crime in Nigeria or anywhere else.  It is those who wish to change the status quo who should put forth their reasons why the law should be changed.  They will not be able to convince a majority of the preople.  

I do not understand why some Africans think it is advancement to copy anything the oyinbos do.  It is not advancement to legitimize perversion.  Simple.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2010
cold:

A lot of peeps on here claiming they could care less whether a guy is gay or straight[b] will not stand to hear their kids say 'daddy i'm gay'.[/b]That wld be the day
you dey mind them.they all hide under freedom of democracy to corrupt nature. angry angry
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by cold(m): 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

I have to disagree with you on that point. Many African cultures have practiced some sort of homosexuality on the continent of Africa. It just wasn't viewed in a way that we are viewing it now. In the central African Zande culture, before European conquest, it was regarded "as very sensible for a man to sleep with boys when women are not available or are taboo." An English anthropologist at the time Evans-Pritchard was told that in addition to times when women were not available for sex, some Azande men had sex with boys "just because they like them." Gender-crossing homosexuality was also common in the Hausa bori cult. Among the Maale of southern Ethiopia, some males crossed over to feminine roles. Called ashtime, these males dressed as women, performed female tasks, cared for their own houses, and apparently had sexual relations with men. As you can see, homosexuality has been present in many African cultures.
source please,don't just throw stuff around lyk we're all dumb
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2010
You need to read the Origin of species for better understanding of how we came about.

bluetooth no go understand that kain book. That book is thick man. Even my mensa certified brain cannot still understand Darwin's arguments. Abeg the bible is easier to understand. God created Adam and Eve from dust/thin air  grin
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by ekubear1: 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2010
cold:

A lot of peeps on here claiming they could care less whether a guy is gay or straight will not stand to hear their kids say 'daddy i'm gay'.That wld be the day
Eh,  if my future son turns out to be gay, I'll be pissed. But he still my son, and I won't stop loving him.

Or what should I do, kill my son because he is gay?  grin
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
^ Take him to church. Deliverance will free him from his gayness undecided
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by blacksta(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
Not another 100 page thread.  Let he mod move this thing to the romance section.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

bluetooth no go understand that kain book. That book is thick man. Even my mensa certified brain cannot still understand Darwin's arguments. Abeg the bible is easier to understand. God created Adam and Eve from dust/thin air  grin
If it's about darwin,abeg free me .i have no respect  for him at all.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by philip0906(m): 8:43pm On Dec 31, 2010
blacksta:

Not another 100 page thread.  Let he mod move this thing to the romance section.
its not romantic at all grin grin grin grin
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by ekubear1: 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2010
isale_gan2:

I know you're just kidding.  At least I hope so.  tongue   Congratulations on winning politics sextion poster 2010.  Dunno why the name change.  Happy new year in advance!
I'm half-serious. Like, homosexuals don't negatively affect my life in any way. Why should I be so vehemently opposed to something that doesn't have any impact on my life?
I understand that for a lot of people, the "ick" factor is important. But I'm also not into obese girls (for example) and find them icky. Does that mean nobody should be permitted to date obese girls?  grin
I'm pretty live-and-let live about life, overall. I will only oppose you and your lifestyle if it:
a) Reduces my own quality of life
b) Violates fundamental human rights

Homosexuality doesn't do either of those things, so I'm not much concerned about it.

Thanks for the congrats. Name-change was due to me being locked out of the other account after an email address change (I suspect Seun's forum system is slightly buggy. . .) Happy new year to you too!

EDIT: typos
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by philip0906(m): 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

gbam. . .and Darwin died one day with all his arguments.bloke is dust now undecided
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 8:47pm On Dec 31, 2010

Why? Do you have a counterargument? Are you a bible-wielding creationist?

I hope you know tomorrow is new year. You should in church, dancing and singing loudly

Wetin you dey do here?
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 8:49pm On Dec 31, 2010
gbam. . .and Darwin died one day with all his arguments.bloke is dust now

Everyone knows they are going to die . . . life is all vanity upon vanity. The Living know they shall die but the dead know not. Regardless none of us know where we are going to after our existence cool

Do we actually exist or do we think we exist. For all I know you dont exist and are just a figment of my imagination.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

Why? Do you have a counterargument? Are you a bible-wielding creationist?

I hope you know tomorrow is new year. You should in church, dancing and singing loudly

Wetin you dey do here?
the guy is a confusionist.man is more than what he categorised him to be;a spiritual being but darwin didnt acknowledged that.i hope the devil

is treating his Zap up for him. angry angry angry
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 8:52pm On Dec 31, 2010
the decision to make homo sexuality a crime in nija is a wrong one
if you criminalise it then we drive homosexuals under ground
that is never going to give us the chance to know them and know why the do what they do
so that we can understand them
I'm sorry, but you're seriously fooling yourself if you think you will reach Nigerians with this approach.

Anyway, I find it very unsmart (not a real word, but my use of it just goes to show how 'ugh' [also not a real word] this discussion is) of a Nigerian (assuming the OP is one) to really raise this topic, especially when there are a host of true issues to attend to that are much much more important than a single sub-subculture. It's like the time when some Mbeki (I believe that was the person's username here on NL) wanted to discuss the [laughable] issue of 'animal rights in Nigeria'.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by fstrangest: 8:53pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

There is a dumb-down version of Origin of species written by Richard Dawkins:" The blind watchmaker"

A very good read as well.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 31, 2010
Hypocrites !!!!

While Homosexuality is a perverse life style no doubt,  answer these two questions please :

1. In God's eyes do you think that sin is categorised ?

2. You who commit adultery and lust with your eyes or in actual practise, do you suppose that you on a higher moral ground than a Homosexual ?

If your answer is yes to the above questions , you are more than deluded.

Remove the LOG from your eye so that you can see clearly and remove the SPECK from your neigbors eye.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by cold(m): 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2010
frosbel:

Hypocrites !!!!

While Homosexuality is a perverse life style no doubt,  answer these two questions please :

1. In God's eyes do you think that sin is categorised ?

2. You who commit adultery and lust with your eyes or in actual practise, do you suppose that you on a higher moral ground than a Homosexual ?

If your answer is yes to the above questions , you are more than deluded.

Remove the LOG from your eye so that you can see clearly and remove the SPECK from your neigbors eye.

Forget all that 'he who is without sin should cast the first stone crap'.Do you support homosexuality or not?simples
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by philip0906(m): 8:57pm On Dec 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

Everyone knows they are going to die . . . life is all vanity upon vanity. The Living know they shall die but the dead know not. Regardless none of us know where we are going to  after our existence cool

Do we actually exist or do we think we exist. For all I know you dont exist and are just a figment of my imagination.
one on d escape routes of d confused Darwin,who could not explain certain things he himself did not understand. . .God pass am grin grin grin grin
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 8:57pm On Dec 31, 2010
frosbel, my friend, everyone is naturally hypocritical and everyone is a bigot. It comes with the territory (of being human).
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2010
cold:

Forget all that 'he who is without sin should cast the first stone crap'.Do you support homosexuality or not?simples

Please get your glasses and re-read what I wrote below :

While Homosexuality is a perverse life style no doubt,  answer these two questions please
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Rousseau: 8:59pm On Dec 31, 2010
cold:

source please,don't just throw stuff around lyk we're all dumb

Homosexuality has been present in many African cultures prior to the arrival of Arabs in "Sub-Saharan Africa" as well as the Europeans. Let me provide you with some sources for the information I have provided you:

http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/africa_pre.html
http://www.iheu.org/node/2919
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/23/homophobia-africa-gay-rights

This is just a few sources that reassert my claim that homosexuality in African cultures has always been present. It wasn't introduced by the West. Nor is it foreign.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 31, 2010
cold:

call him one and see what his reaction will be undecided
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

Homosexuality has been present in many African cultures prior to the arrival of Arabs in "Sub-Saharan Africa" as well as the Europeans. Let me provide you with some sources for the information I have provided you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/mar/23/homophobia-africa-gay-rights

This is just a few sources that reassert my claim that homosexuality in African cultures are as old as Africa itself. It wasn't introduced by the West.
good things are introduced by the west but we learn the bad ones by ourselves abi ? shocked shocked

anyways,why is the call coming from the west in the contemporary period ?
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by SEFAGO(m): 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I'm sorry, but you're seriously fooling yourself if you think you will reach Nigerians with this approach.

Anyway, I find it very unsmart (not a real word, but my use of it just goes to show how 'ugh' [also not a real word] this discussion is) of a Nigerian (assuming the OP is one) to really raise this topic, especially when there are a host of true issues to attend to that are much much more important than a single sub-subculture.

Homosexuality stems from one thing- ignorance and a lack of intellectual discourse about our beliefs and culture

Corruption Stems from one thing- ignorance and a lack of intellectual discourse about our beliefs and culture

Corruption is the precursor of the majority of problems in Nigeria. I see a pattern here, the fact that we are unable to defend our laws is a major issue.

the guy is a confusionist.man is more than what he categorised him to be;a spiritual being but darwin didnt acknowledged that.i hope the devil

is treating his Zap up for him.

What arrogance!!! Man is no more than animal with the gift of reason. We eat/sleep/procreate/Die. What makes you so special? Because you have the ability to argue that, I would allow it, a  unique gift of reason- places you at the top of the pyramid of organisms

What arrogance to think you are more than animal.
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by philip0906(m): 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
Rousseau:

This is just a few sources that reassert my claim that homosexuality in African cultures has always been present. It wasn't introduced by the West. Nor is it foreign.
Yes u may be right,but they were not calling 4 homosexuality 2 be legalised. . .infact,it was done in secrecy. . .only if they were d majority undecided
Re: We Should Decriminalise Homosexuality In Nigeria by Rousseau: 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2010
~Bluetooth:

good things are introduced by the west but we learn the bad ones by ourselves abi ?  shocked shocked

anyways,why is the call coming from the west in the contemporary period ?

I have not said anything of the sort. Simply reiterating the fact that homosexuality has been present in many traditional African societies. And why do you think homosexuality is bad? What gives you the right to decide what is good for a person or not? It is these people inalienable right to love whoever they wish to love. You may not agree with their lifestyle, but they are causing you no harm.

And for your second question. I cannot answer that question. I too wonder why the call is coming from the West to make homosexuality acceptable throughout the world. It was many of their beliefs during the Colonial Era that have impacted traditional societies across the world concerning homosexuality as well as marriage. However, that is for another subject and I do not wish to go off task.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yes, Port Harcourt Is Working... Yes Amaechi Is Working(pictures) / PHOTOS: Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili Arrives Awka / Official Lagos State Presidential Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.