Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? (6872 Views)

My Disastrous Experience Making Moi-moi / Ukpo Oka (corn Pudding) Recipe. With Pictures. / Just Doesn’t Taste Like Moi Moi! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 02, 2011
Please only experienced cooks here need reply. I want to make it and then wrap it in those leaves and boil.

Please explain the step by step procedure for this task.

Highly appreciated!!  undecided
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by MissyB3(f): 10:29pm On Jan 02, 2011
Where's Iice? This is the Ekusu I was talking about [I think]. I wonder which tribe calls it
Moi moi Oka. Yoruba, perhaps.

Topic:

Same way you make moi moi. Only difference is, you use corn in this case.

Ingredients
Corn
Eggs
Shrimp/corned beef.(optional)
Vegetable Oil
Tatashe (or tinned tomato puree in the absence on this)
Crayfish
Fresh Pepper Onions
Salt and sugar to taste
Seasoning

Preparation:
Peel the corn kernel off the cob.

Blend the corn, tatashe, onions, crayfish, pepper and together and put in a big enough bowl. The taste and feel of your Ekusu [That's what we call it] depends so much on the consistency of the blend.

Prepare about half a litre of warm water. This will be used in mixing the Ekusu. You do not want to use hot water for this purpose as it may cause the mix to be lumpy.

Slowly add the warm water and stir the mixture at the same time. When you have achieved medium consistency, add salt and sugar to taste, 3 cooking spoons of vegetable oil and maggi/knorr cubes.

How to use leaves
It is advisable to use at least 2 leaves to make one wrap. This doubling ensures a better reinforcement for the Ekusu wraps to avoid leakages.

To make wraps: First of all, place 2 leaves on top of each other, fold them into a cone. Then bend the pointed end and hold it there. Put some Ekusu  mix into the cone. Fold the open end and place the wrap in a pot of boiling water. The quantity of water should be so small that your fingers will barely touch it.

Stir the mixture very well and start putting in wraps.

Now is the time to add one egg piece per  wrap. The shrimps and corned beef pieces should be added this way too if chosen and then close wrap properly.

Pad the base of a big pot and set the Ekusu wraps in the pot, add a small quantity of boiling water in the pot and start cooking.

PS: I hope I haven't missed a step. I dislike this food hence hardly pay attention when it's being prepared. I'm sure I can be forgiven, if I missed anything. Y me, come and confirm. grin grin
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by MissyB3(f): 9:11pm On Sep 03, 2011
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 04, 2011
Whoa. I have never tried this. I'll have to axe mummy lol.
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by MissyB3(f): 1:20pm On Sep 04, 2011
Lol! You might like it but I'd choose moin-moin over this anytime.
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by armyofone(m): 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2011
love my ukpo oka.
funny thing, i ended liking it the way my mom does it, never make the corn too smooth.
love that meal but can't have it till i visit home.

you my sistah Missy B, why you come dey put egg now grin grin
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by MissyB3(f): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2011
armyofone:

love my ukpo oka.
funny thing, i ended liking it the way my mom does it, never make the corn too smooth.
love that meal but can't have it till i visit home.

you my sistah Missy B, why you come dey put egg now grin grin
Even with the egg and whatever else I put inside, I still do not like it that much, imagine not putting anything at all. Yuck! tongue
Egg and/or canned fish must go into my moin-moin and Ekusu, else, e neva complete.  cheesy
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by armyofone(m): 3:45pm On Sep 04, 2011
grin
i like it when it isn't smooth. taste better also must be minute harvested fresh corn.
it's a nice meal is well cooked in traditional way.

koyo Missy cheesy
native food moi likey.
make i go ask for pomo kini for your thread grin
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by MissyB3(f): 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2011
In that case, I should invite you over to my house someday, make you and my mama devour the food. cheesy
My mum like this food like mad. . . I think it's because of the sugary taste I do not like it, though.

What do you eat with Ekusu? Bread? Garri? or nothing?

native food moi likey.
I like some, I yuck some. Lol
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by redsun(m): 4:38pm On Sep 04, 2011
That corn pudding is heaven hot and spicy in the mornings.We use to dream about it as children in our  sleep when my mum prepares it overnight for morning break fast.
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by armyofone(m): 6:17pm On Sep 04, 2011
i remember my granny making it and leave it in the pot overnight. i will be dreaming of it all night. yes i love it with lot of pepper too.

Missy, i don't eat it with anything. so granny gives me 2 wraps grin
i don't remember us eating it with anything. we make enough to eat alone and be filled cheesy
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by jaytime(m): 8:15pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ekoki, that's what we used to call it. I'm now rememering my primary school days.
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by jaytime(m): 8:16pm On Sep 04, 2011
Ekoki, that's what we used to call it. I'm now rememering my primary school days.
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by Nobody: 4:04am On Sep 05, 2011
Missy ★ B:
Lol! You might like it but I'd choose moin-moin over this anytime.

Lol. I asked her. She said she doesn't like it at all and that she doesn't plan on making it until grandma comes to visit. Whenever that is lol. I'll save your recipe for when I feel like trying it.
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by chimza: 4:25pm On Sep 06, 2011
pa boil corn if its hard for like five minutes, leave it to get cold
remove from water , add clean water as if you want to grind beans for moi moi
add fresh pepper, onion and crayfish if you wish
after blending them together, then add palm oil, sliced ugu leave, efirin leave, ugba, and anyara leave
mixed them together, add water to make it lighter
put hot water on fire,
you can use leaves like (banana leave or the one we use for moi moi or even white nylon)
its so delicious, in my place we call it Igba Ngwu oka
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by RBATTY1: 9:03am On Sep 07, 2011
@Missy B

grin tnx 4 dis bit of info will definitely try it.Buhb can ub pls tell me d secret behind dis foil wrapping?
Re: Please How Do You Make ''Moi Moi Oka'' ie With Corn? by MissyB3(f): 1:07pm On Sep 07, 2011
R-BATTY:

@Missy B   

grin tnx 4 dis bit of info will definitely try it.Buhb can ub pls tell me d secret behind dis foil wrapping?
Secret? I don't understand the question eh.  grin

I simply use(d) foil due to scarcity of thaumatococcus daniellii tongue [eran leaves] here.  cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Is Chicken Republic The New Kfc Of Nigeria? / Take A Break From Swallows Try Italian Dishes.see The Difference. / I Need Help On How To Make Semovita.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.