Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

My Poultry Farming Experience! - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Poultry Farming Experience! (28951 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / This Is The Snake Killing My Chickens & Tampering With Their Eggs In My Poultry / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:36pm On Aug 06, 2020
BlueBanana:

I'm afraid, you haven't sir.
I will ask again, you said the cost of raising a bird through artificial method is #930, I will like to know the cost of raising a bird through organic method?

cc: EMMAACHILE'
About 900 naira,
But because of the high price of feed and Broiler DOC, it's budgeted at 1,000 per chick from day old to get to 2kg (6 weeks plus)
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:46pm On Aug 06, 2020
Good evening pals,
Please this is to clarify the issue of the marshals being prone to CRD,
Livability of broiler Breeds is largely dependent on climatic and environmental factors around the location of the pen.
Those in South East Nigeria (Anambra specifically) experience high degree of rainfall and therefore experience Hugh level of humidity in the atmosphere and this is one major factor the enables the growth and development of various diseases including coccidiosis, coryza and CRD.
While you might be able to completely cambat the rest to a stand still, CRD is an infection affecting the intestine and if the humidity in the pen is not controlled, the CRD is bound to show up sooner or later, as some breeds are very prone to such conditions. Chikun broilers from olams for example is very prone to CRD and no matter what you do, you would still loose a substantial amount of birds.

Mind you, the marshals will thrive and you won't notice the CRD issues untill between 3 - 5 weeks and then, boom! You start fighting the mighty CRD.
Marshals are really prolific birds, they grow tall and have big bones but as long as they remain susceptible to CRD, and the rain season is still on, I cannot go for them!. (that's just an advice from experience though).

I strongly recommend CHI or AGRITED birds for now, maybe until the rains goes away.

5 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by gbemmytop(m): 1:33am On Aug 07, 2020
gbemmytop:

Weldone op, it's a good development that most farmers r now embracing the organic method.
Pls do you av a chart for this organic method? I mean for raising ur birds from day old. If yes, kindly share. Thanks
@ youngext Pls kindly provide a response to this. How did you replace the vaccines organically? Do you av any chart too?
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 5:20pm On Aug 07, 2020
gbemmytop:

@ youngext Pls kindly provide a response to this. How did you replace the vaccines organically? Do you av any chart too?
I don't have any chart for now,
I just administer the extracts 3days in a week
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Danbukason(m): 12:14am On Aug 09, 2020
Thank you Youngext for ur response so far.
Pls I would like to know which plant extract you use for your organic vaccine.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 10:08am On Aug 09, 2020
Danbukason:
Thank you Youngext for ur response so far.
Pls I would like to know which plant extract you use for your organic vaccine.
They're different for various illnesses
Bitter leaf extracts,
Red Amaranth extract,
Scent leaf extract,
Fermented Christmas melon extract,
Paw paw leaf extract
Many of them, i use according to when the need for them arises

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:35pm On Aug 14, 2020
So the Agrited Ross 308 are 7 weeks and four days today!
How does 7 weeks+ look on them?

3 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Danbukason(m): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2020
Bitter leaf extracts,
Red Amaranth extract,
Scent leaf extract,
Paw paw leaf extract

Thank you very much for this.
My birds are breathing through their mouth instead of their nose. Please what is the cause of this and how can I handle this organically and synthetically.
About 9 of them or so are experiencing it.

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Petyr1: 5:16pm On Aug 15, 2020
Thanks for this trend
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by gbemmytop(m): 5:41pm On Aug 15, 2020
Does this happen only in the afternoon or all tru the day?
Danbukason:
Bitter leaf extracts,
Red Amaranth extract,
Scent leaf extract,
Paw paw leaf extract

My birds are breathing through their mouth instead of their nose. Please what is the cause of this and how can I handle this organically and synthetically.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Danbukason(m): 9:07pm On Aug 15, 2020
gbemmytop:
Does this happen only in the afternoon or all tru the day?

It happens early noon till late in the evening.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by gbemmytop(m): 12:24am On Aug 16, 2020
Danbukason:

It happens early noon till late in the evening.
Could be the heat if it happens noon to late evenings. Try nd cover the roof with palm leaves
or find a way to reduce to heat.
Another reason could be CRD, so watch out for weird sounds lyk d birds snoring etc, if đts d case treat with tylodox

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Danbukason(m): 5:19pm On Aug 16, 2020
gbemmytop:

Could be the heat if it happens noon to late evenings. Try nd cover the roof with palm leaves
or find a way to reduce to heat.
Another reason could be CRD, so watch out for weird sounds lyk d birds snoring etc, if đts d case treat with tylodox

Thank you very much for your kind response, I will implement your advice.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 6:28am On Aug 17, 2020
Danbukason:
Bitter leaf extracts,
Red Amaranth extract,
Scent leaf extract,
Paw paw leaf extract

If it only happens at noon, it's the temperature, there's too much heat in the coop.
But when they breath, do they make any sound like they're sneezing or screaming?

If no, then it's the coop, there's not enough ventilation and it's too hot for them.

IF yes, you have to treat CRD:
Garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper extracts 30ml in 1litre of water (organic)
Tylosin or pantadox (synthetic)

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 3:05pm On Aug 22, 2020
So our third batch (Agrited Ross 308) has been completely sold out, and we were very impressed with the performance of the Ross 308 breed over that of the marshals, so we went again.
Now we have new batch (4th batch) same Agrited Ross 308 and we have since commenced brooding!

2 Likes

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by godello: 12:33pm On Aug 23, 2020
This is lovely.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Niyeal(m): 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2020
Wow
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Tunjoel(m): 4:37pm On Aug 24, 2020
Commendable, weldone Boss
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Hansie63(f): 3:19pm On Sep 03, 2020
Please how much is day old chicks(agrited)and is it true that one can get morethan 50 in a carton?
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Petyr1: 10:13am On Sep 04, 2020
Youngext:

If it only happens at noon, it's the temperature, there's too much heat in the coop.
But when they breath, do they make any sound like they're sneezing or screaming?

If no, then it's the coop, there's not enough ventilation and it's too hot for them.

IF yes, you have to treat CRD:
Garlic, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper extracts 30ml in 1litre of water (organic)
Tylosin or pantadox (synthetic)
most of my birds of experiencing CRD, please will i grind the garlic, ginger, turmeric and pepper together and later add water? Or i should grind everything together with water in a blender? Please how will i do the mixture?

Also how much is Tylosin and pantadox?

Waiting for your reply ASAP
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by 1b8m: 11:07am On Sep 04, 2020
2wks today. The biggest weighs 545g while the smallest weighs 370g. How are we doing?

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by emperor03: 1:30pm On Sep 04, 2020
This is my best thread ever on broilers production here on nairaland.

I just rounded up sales. I had one thousand chikun broilers early July. everything was fine till the 7th day, started loosing an average of 20birds a day. fought it with several drugs and litter management. in the end I lost about 300birds. I was able to recoup my capital and also pay workers. I am taking a break from chikun DOC for now.

The cost of DOC and feed is really threatening my reinvestment.

I have learnt my lessons but not giving up on broiler farming.

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 4:39pm On Sep 04, 2020
Petyr1:
most of my birds of experiencing CRD, please will i grind the garlic, ginger, turmeric and pepper together and later add water? Or i should grind everything together with water in a blender? Please how will i do the mixture?

Also how much is Tylosin and pantadox?

Waiting for your reply ASAP
Since you already have an outbreak in your farm as you said, I advice you go to a very store and get pantadox, I dont know the exact price now but it's more than 2,000
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 4:40pm On Sep 04, 2020
1b8m:
2wks today. The biggest weighs 545g while the smallest weighs 370g. How are we doing?
Wow they're growing really nice
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 4:43pm On Sep 04, 2020
emperor03:
This is my best thread ever on broilers production here on nairaland.

I just rounded up sales. I had one thousand chikun broilers early July. everything was fine till the 7th day, started loosing an average of 20birds a day. fought it with several drugs and litter management. in the end I lost about 300birds. I was able to recoup my capital and also pay workers. I am taking a break from chikun DOC for now.

The cost of DOC and feed is really threatening my reinvestment.

I have learnt my lessons but not giving up on broiler farming.
Wow, I'm sorry for your experience, chikun birds are bad for now,
Bro please don't relent, they sky is your strating point, re invest and buy better breed (I strongly advice Agrited or fidan broilers) don't worry, you'd be happy you bought them.
Thank you for making this thread your favorite

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 4:44pm On Sep 04, 2020
Hansie63:
Please how much is day old chicks(agrited)and is it true that one can get morethan 50 in a carton?
Prices flunctuates, and yes you will get more than 50, sometimes you get 52

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Cation(m): 9:27pm On Sep 04, 2020
Does anyone rear noilers here? Is it okay to have 1- 1.2 kg weight at 3 months? Or maybe the feed I use- anthomar, is not good enough? Your input is needed pls.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 12:28pm On Sep 06, 2020
Breed: Agrited Broilers
Method: Semi Organic
Farm: SanRova Farms

1 Like

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by 1b8m: 7:36pm On Sep 06, 2020
16th day. 51 birds with average wt of 561g.

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Redomi(m): 9:57pm On Sep 06, 2020
My Noilers

Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by BlueBanana: 9:13am On Sep 07, 2020
Youngext:

About 900 naira,
But because of the high price of feed and Broiler DOC, it's budgeted at 1,000 per chick from day old to get to 2kg (6 weeks plus)

I'm just seeing this. Thanks for the reply.
Pls don't be annoyed, I have one more question, is the "1000 per chick" the cost of rearing a chick only or does it include the cost of Day Old
As in, is it:
Day Old + Rearing Cost = N1000
Or
Rearing Cost only = N1000

And how much does a Day Old in your locale sold?.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: My Poultry Farming Experience! by Youngext: 9:48am On Sep 07, 2020
BlueBanana:

I'm just seeing this. Thanks for the reply.
Pls don't be annoyed, I have one more question, is the "1000 per chick" the cost of rearing a chick only or does it include the cost of Day Old
As in, is it:
Day Old + Rearing Cost = N1000
Or
Rearing Cost only = N1000

And how much does a Day Old in your locale sold?.
Thanks in anticipation.

Yes it included everything both DOC at the time of making that post,
But as you well know now, the reality of things have changed as poultry farming now is for those who have deep pockets

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What's Best To Do With 1 Million Naira In Agriculture? / Earthen Pond Construction. (fish Pond) Pics. / Where To Get Cheap Palm Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.