Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,590 members, 7,955,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:45 PM

Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (51496 Views)

Must See - African Bravery In Pictures! / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by naijangel7(f): 5:20pm On Apr 05, 2011
namfav:

haha, the home boy on the left, can someone get him an underwear, bushboy

Hehehe u've got good eyes, or bad eyes lol. I don't know which cheesy
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by namfav(m): 7:03pm On Apr 05, 2011
naijangel7:

Hehehe u've got good eyes, or bad eyes lol. I don't know which cheesy

he's got igbo bush swag, it's not my fault to notice
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by InkedNerd(f): 8:19pm On Apr 05, 2011
@OP: These pictures are lovely kiss
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by skybeauty(f): 3:17pm On Apr 08, 2011
wow this is great wish my old man can see dis
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Xfactoria: 2:48pm On Apr 12, 2011
Meeeee, n, Igbo people wowo in those days oooooooooo!

Where did some of them get their 21st century beauty from?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 2:57pm On Apr 12, 2011
X-factoria:

What sort of idiotic question is this?.
Must you label them wowo because of your ophthalmic problem?.
Be careful.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Xfactoria: 5:47pm On Apr 12, 2011
Andre Uweh:

What sort of idiotic question is this?.
Must you label them wowo because of your ophthalmic problem?.
Be careful.

Why are you shying away from the truth? Weren't they looking hoary and haggard in those pictures? Why can't you be objective grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I even acknowledged that they now come beautiful these days and you don't seem impressed by that, in fact, go and hug transformer!
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 9:48pm On Apr 12, 2011
X-factoria:

Why are you shying away from the truth? Weren't they looking hoary and haggard in those pictures? Why can't you be objective grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I even acknowledged that they now come beautiful these days and you don't seem impressed by that, in fact, go and hug transformer!
Hi Monkey, someone has done a good job by posting photographs of old here. Why not bring up photographs of your great grand parents and let's compare it with the ones here. Brain-dead monkey.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ezeagu(m): 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2011
X-factoria:

And you think this is an appropriate thing to say about a group of peoples ancestors? Especially when you've taken a select few candid pictures to insult them all?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ezeagu(m): 10:19pm On Apr 12, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Hi Monkey, someone has done a good job by posting photographs of old here. Why not bring up photographs of your great grand parents and let's compare it with the ones here. Brain-dead monkey.

The person just had an ignorant moment. Certain people don't play with their ancestors and they should know that now.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 11:05pm On Apr 12, 2011
ezeagu:

The person just had an ignorant moment. Certain people don't play with their ancestors and they should know that now.
Trust me, My fight against bigots will never stop. I have seen so many photographs of Yoruba, Hausa etc in the colonial era, yet no one said they are wowo but once it's Igbo, those usually busy in harlotry will abandon their occupations for ethnic bashing.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AljUche: 2:50am On Apr 13, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Trust me, My fight against bigots will never stop. I have seen so many photographs of Yoruba, Hausa etc in the colonial era, yet no one said they are wowo but once it's Igbo, those usually busy in harlotry will abandon their occupations for ethnic bashing.

i really do not understand why undecided
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 7:34pm On Apr 13, 2011
Alj Uche:

i really do not understand why undecided
Uche my brother, don't be offended by my outburst, but I feel it is an outright stupidity for someone to claim that Igbo people were wowo in the colonial era while that person can not produce his grand or great grand father's photographs for comparism.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AljUche: 12:12am On Apr 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Uche my brother, don't be offended by my outburst, but I feel it is an outright stupidity for someone to claim that Igbo people were wowo in the colonial era while that person can not produce his grand or great grand father's photographs for comparism.

i agree, if igbos were "wowo" then so did other ethnic groups
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 12:19am On Apr 14, 2011
Alj Uche:

i agree, if igbos were "wowo" then so did other ethnic groups
Thanks Uche.
But Uche, don't you think it will be wise for Seun to make me a moderator in the politics section alongside Aisha2 North and Jarus from Yoruba.
I know this is off topic, I will delete it after your response.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AljUche: 1:15am On Apr 14, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Thanks Uche.
But Uche, don't you think it will be wise for Seun to make me a moderator in the politics section alongside Aisha2 North and Jarus from Yoruba.
I know this is off topic, I will delete it after your response.

it makes sense, i mean there are some topics that should be move to the tribalistic section or crime immediatly

I for one support that move

go for it Andre cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ezeagu(m): 10:06pm On May 03, 2011
Why don't some people just stay in the romance section?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by adaide1: 3:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
ezeagu: Why don't some people just stay in the romance section?

I wonder oh!
second question, is it a taboo to recognise good efforts on nairaland without bashing!

@Andre, there are people you should deem non-existing, allowing them to die a natural death,
each time you respond they find another way of defining themselves or finding an identity because they have non.
A times, silence can be louder.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jun 16, 2013
Akhenaten: Ikwerri Igbo

Parade of Masks -- Okerevinwe, Oweremba, Aka Leke, Adachinwa, Abam, Jack, Oyiaro, Oki -- Rumuji Owu Play

Oki is Ijaw masquerade. Oki in Ijaw means shark and there are no sharks in Igbo land. But anyways, The Ikweres have strong link with the KALABARI so they may have borrowed it from the KALABARI.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Abagworo(m): 7:35pm On Jun 16, 2013
killayut:

Oki is Ijaw masquerade. Oki in Ijaw means shark and there are no sharks in Igbo land. But anyways, The Ikweres have strong link with the KALABARI so they may have borrowed it from the KALABARI.

You've come again with all these your unnecessary insinuations. Are you not aware that Igbos were travelling to Bonny to engage in trading? Many Kalabari families originated from Igboland with Asari as a glaring example. Kalabari were also trading with Igbos at Choba area for long. Igbos had a name for everything in the sea. Maybe they share some of those names with Kalabari. Owu masquerade is played down into the heart of Igboland even though it might have originated from the riverine area.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
Abagworo:

You've come again with all these your unnecessary insinuations. Are you not aware that Igbos were travelling to Bonny to engage in trading? Many Kalabari families originated from Igboland with Asari as a glaring example. Kalabari were also trading with Igbos at Choba area for long. Igbos had a name for everything in the sea. Maybe they share some of those names with Kalabari. Owu masquerade is played down into the heart of Igboland even though it might have originated from the riverine area.

This is information you are giving so when you claim other people's glory, culture or things depicting them to be Igbo you are lying to the world and should be corrected . WHY DO YOU IGBOS ALWAYS DO THAT ? Is it due to Ignorance ?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jun 16, 2013
Abagworo:

How did you jump Ogoni land to Bonny ? The Igbos of Bonny were all slaves bought by Bonny chiefs . You Igbos should leave us alone PLEASE.. Stop claiming us and our things..Owu masquerade is also played in Igbo land.. Is owu a type of masquerade ? OWU is the Ijaw word for masquerade . LOOK ! We play Igbo masquerade like AGABA and OJUONU for fun but we 'll never put it online as our traditional plays. What is not native to us is not native to us.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Abagworo(m): 12:18am On Jun 17, 2013
killayut:

How did you jump Ogoni land to Bonny ? The Igbos of Bonny were all slaves bought by Bonny chiefs . You Igbos should leave us alone PLEASE.. Stop claiming us and our things..Owu masquerade is also played in Igbo land.. Is owu a type of masquerade ? OWU is the Ijaw word for masquerade . LOOK ! We play Igbo masquerade like AGABA and OJUONU for fun but we 'll never put it online as our traditional plays. What is not native to us is not native to us.

Culture and language is dynamic and what originated at one place could end up being more honored in another place. I hope you know that Jesus Christ that Christians worship is not popular amongst the Jews. You can't call Christianity a Jewish culture or Religion but a Europan culture even though it originated from the Jews.

Igbo as a group is like that and all the boundary communities in Igboland share culture with their immediate non-Igbo neighbours and consider them as theirs too. Ekpe, Okonko and Ekpo originated from Ibibio but is viewed by the Igbos that engage in them as their culture.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Nobody: 2:15am On Jun 18, 2013
Abagworo:

Culture and language is dynamic and what originated at one place could end up being more honored in another place. I hope you know that Jesus Christ that Christians worship is not popular amongst the Jews. You can't call Christianity a Jewish culture or Religion but a Europan culture even though it originated from the Jews.

Igbo as a group is like that and all the boundary communities in Igboland share culture with their immediate non-Igbo neighbours and consider them as theirs too. Ekpe, Okonko and Ekpo originated from Ibibio but is viewed by the Igbos that engage in them as their culture.

Christ is not popular among the Jews so who were his discioples ? were they arabs ? WHO were the multitude that he always taught in the synagogue and temples ? Were they ARABS ? The first Christians were Jews. APOSTLE PAUL was a JEWISH MAN THAT KILLED cHRISTIANS.. St Peter was a Jew. I just explained to you that.. The KALABARI today have a lot of Igbo culture and infact 80% of our moon light games would be rendered in Igbo.. But that does not mean the KALABARI will any day claim such culture to be KALABARI and publish it online to be KALABARI.. You see the Igbo claims are what with time become generalized cases.. That was how NWAOTAM today is claimed to be an Igbo display that was introduced to the Ijaws of BONNY AND OPOBO when It was the real culture of the EASTERN IJAWS called NGBULA the town cleansing masquerade still played by the KALABARI the real way . it changed name at the IBANI axis due to the Ibanis speaking of the Igbo language and the King of Bonny banning of the original ritual.. Today it is seriously claimed by the people that borrowed it . Today OKI is considered an Igbo masquerade and published so to educate future Igbo kids. In 40 yrs or so time it d be said to have been introduced to the Ijaws by the Igbos.. IS THERE ANY THING IJAW that the Igbos imbibe today that the Igbos agreed to have borrowed from the Ijaws ? Is there any one ?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Abagworo(m): 10:16am On Jun 18, 2013
killayut:

Christ is not popular among the Jews so who were his discioples ? were they arabs ? WHO were the multitude that he always taught in the synagogue and temples ? Were they ARABS ? The first Christians were Jews. APOSTLE PAUL was a JEWISH MAN THAT KILLED cHRISTIANS.. St Peter was a Jew. I just explained to you that.. The KALABARI today have a lot of Igbo culture and infact 80% of our moon light games would be rendered in Igbo.. But that does not mean the KALABARI will any day claim such culture to be KALABARI and publish it online to be KALABARI.. You see the Igbo claims are what with time become generalized cases.. That was how NWAOTAM today is claimed to be an Igbo display that was introduced to the Ijaws of BONNY AND OPOBO when It was the real culture of the EASTERN IJAWS called NGBULA the town cleansing masquerade still played by the KALABARI the real way . it changed name at the IBANI axis due to the Ibanis speaking of the Igbo language and the King of Bonny banning of the original ritual.. Today it is seriously claimed by the people that borrowed it . Today OKI is considered an Igbo masquerade and published so to educate future Igbo kids. In 40 yrs or so time it d be said to have been introduced to the Ijaws by the Igbos.. IS THERE ANY THING IJAW that the Igbos imbibe today that the Igbos agreed to have borrowed from the Ijaws ? Is there any one ?

When you use the word "Ijaw" or Igbo which are very recent coinage, it becomes a bit more complex than simple. If you use Kalabari/Ikwerre or ,Ndoki/Bonny or Mbaise/Okrika etc. You will realize that there was a cultural exchange that predated colonialism.

That said Nwotam is played in some parts of Igboland and some parts of Ijawland. Not all parts of Igboland and all parts of Ijawland. The part that plays it in Igbo share kinship with the part that plays it in Ijaw.

As for the "Owu", Igbos might have borrowed it or it might have developed simultaneously. In old Igbo there existed "Owumiri" which has more to do with water spirit and I believe the masks are made as a representation of water spirit.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ijawcitizen(m): 1:45am On Jun 19, 2013
killayut:

Bros Killayut, you should arrest any criminal who claims Oki Masquerade as Igbo because that masquerade is prominent even amongst Ijaws in Delta state. Is represented by head mask with a fish figure on it which is Xteristic of an Ijaw origin. Why would some deranged mor.ros wanna claim Ijaw masquerade? So they have graduated from claiming land & people to claiming cultural practices? God help us and our Arab neighbours!
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 23, 2013
Akhenaten: Aba Station, Southeastern Nigeria, 1920s
Waow! I visited dis place currently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Celebrates His Daughter, Princess Adeola Ogunwusi, He Had When He Was 19 / DPO Segun Fagbohun Dies In Lagos Hospital (photo) / Convocation: Badirat Olaitan Adeyemi Graduates From The University Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.