Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures (50709 Views)

Must See - African Bravery In Pictures! / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:31am On Jan 08, 2011
Group leading masks, Boys initiation

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:36am On Jan 08, 2011
Ofogu mask, Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:36am On Jan 08, 2011
Calabash mask, Boys initiation

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:37am On Jan 08, 2011
Okpa masquerade, the band, Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:38am On Jan 08, 2011
Ogwu Mask, Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:39am On Jan 08, 2011
Nwanyi Oma (Beautiful Woman), Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2011
Two Ogwu Aba (singers), Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2011
Ogbo (Clown) mask and masquerade band, Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:41am On Jan 08, 2011
Ofogu mask, Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:42am On Jan 08, 2011
Two Ofogu masks, Boys initiation, Etiti Ama

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:43am On Jan 08, 2011
Masquerade band, Boys initiation, Elugu

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:44am On Jan 08, 2011
A group of masks, Boys initiation, Obohia

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:45am On Jan 08, 2011
Mask, Boys initiation, Obohia

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:45am On Jan 08, 2011
Mask, Caricatures an old woman catching crayfish and putting them into a gourd container, Boys initiation, Obohia

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:46am On Jan 08, 2011
Mask, Boys initiation, Obohia

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 12:47am On Jan 08, 2011
Dancing masker, Boys initiation, Obohia

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ChinenyeN(m): 3:41am On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten:

Your presumptions are correct. Not only am I a Pan-African, I am a Pan-Igboist. (Please forgive me for creating that word). I am a huge supporter of a Pan-Igbo identity. However, I do believe that there can be unity through diversity. All the vast Igbo clans have some differences in cultural identities, but I still believe that we Igbos share not only the same language, but the same culture with small differences.
Oh okay. In that case then, I can understand your view and approach. I'm liking the new pictures. Do you have anything on Echee (Etche/Echie), Asa, Ngwa, Ndoki?
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ifyalways(f): 10:32am On Jan 08, 2011
Akhenaten,where do u get this pics? . . .They are lovely,reminds me of growing up.
Do u have pics of Izaga,Ulaga and Adanma.
I remember the myth then abt Izaga,it was said to come out from[i] onu akpusi(ant hill),[/i]we all believed,its possible i still do . . lol cheesy
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by AndreUweh(m): 2:54pm On Jan 08, 2011
ifyalways:

Akhenaten,where do u get this pics? . . .They are lovely,reminds me of growing up.
Do u have pics of Izaga,Ulaga and Adanma.
I remember the myth then abt Izaga,it was said to come out from[i] onu akpusi(ant hill),[/i]we all believed,its possible i still do . . lol cheesy

Your post reminds me of the film--ULAGA.
Do you know where I can buy a copy of that film as it is not in Dalston and Peckam.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Oh okay. In that case then, I can understand your view and approach. I'm liking the new pictures. Do you have anything on Echee (Etche/Echie), Asa, Ngwa, Ndoki?

I do have some pictures of the Riverine Igbo (Ekpafia, Abua, Ekpeye). You will find them on the 1st page. And I am still looking for some pictures of the Ngwa and Ndoki of Igboland. When I find them, I will post them as soon as possible my brother.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:30pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ogbukere drum
Ekpeya Igbo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:33pm On Jan 08, 2011
[b]Ogbukere drum
[/b]Ekpeya Igbo

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 7:02pm On Jan 08, 2011
Igbo maiden-spirit maskers near Akwa, Nigeria 1935

"The white maiden masks, all danced by men, have super structures of several
types, indicating spirit characters of different ages. The eldest daughter, called
Headload because of her mask's large figured superstructure, leads the others. Her
younger sisters, following, have elaborate crested hairstyles and small pointed
bosoms. All wear bright polychrome appliqué cloth "body suits" whose patterning
loosely resemble monochromatic designs painted on youthful females in the area.
Other characters in the drama are a mother, a father, sometimes an irresponsible
son, and a suitor costumed as a titled elder, whose amorous, often bawdy advances
to one or more "girls" are invariably rebuffed. The play unfolds predictably, with the
maidens' dances becoming ever faster and more virtuosic as the maskers compete
with one another for audience approval and even financial reward."

Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 3:46am On Jan 09, 2011
I will dedicate another thread to the masquerades that occur in Igboland in todays society. The Igbo Masquerade are not a lost art.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by aljharem11(m): 4:41am On Jan 09, 2011
Akhenaten:

I will dedicate another thread to the masquerades that occur in Igboland in todays society. The Igbo Masquerade are not a lost art.

thanks a lot, those pictures were beautiful

just good to show how rich our culture is

most of the younger generation do not know these thing,,sad cry cry

@op how do you think we can teach the young ones about all this smiley
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:58pm On Jan 11, 2011
These pictures are starting to pop up in a lot of albums throughout facebook. I am glad that I was able to compile these pictures for the whole world to see.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by aljharem11(m): 6:59pm On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

These pictures are starting to pop up in a lot of albums throughout facebook. I am glad that I was able to compile these pictures for the whole world to see.

thanks once again smiley
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by Akhenaten: 6:33pm On Jan 17, 2011
I think I have neglected this thread.

More pictures to come. . . smiley
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ezeagu(m): 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2011
Please credit the people who took these pictures and the people who brought them to attention:

Most of these pictures were taken from the following websites.

http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/
http://ukpuru..com/
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by ChinenyeN(m): 11:16pm On Jan 18, 2011
That Ukpuru blog is interesting, especially the link to Nsibidi/Nsibiri. I like it.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by naijangel7(f): 3:11pm On Apr 02, 2011
Wow! Interesting pictures! But i do believe that a couple of them are post-colonial. Also, the second pic of a woman with the rather flambuoyant hairstyle on page 1 doesn't really come across as an Igbo woman. More like Kanuri or something. Good job, though.
Re: Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures by namfav(m): 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2011
Akhenaten:

[b]Ogbukere drum
[/b]Ekpeya Igbo

haha, the home boy on the left, can someone get him an underwear, bushboy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.