Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,290 members, 7,860,690 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:21 PM

Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide (1595 Views)

2023: Chief Jumoke Akinjide Berates Bola Tinubu / Richard Akinjide Is Dead / APC Shares Fayose Throwback Interview With Channels TV Before 2019 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by nairavsdollars(f): 8:00am On Apr 21, 2020
Chief Richard Akinjide served as minister of education in the Tafawa Balewa’s cabinet in the First Republic and as minister of Justice and Attorney General in the Second Republic government of President Shagari. Akinjide was a frontline member of the defunct National Party of Nigeria, NPN and served as the party’s legal adviser prior to his appointment as attorney general.

He is presently, a member of the Board of Trustees, BoT of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP. In this interview, he reviews the actions and inactions of the Buhari government, the prospects of the PDP following its recent electoral loss among other national issues.

You have not been so visible in politics in recent times. Is it age or you are just playing it cool?

I am a prominent member of the Board of Trustees of the PDP and I play very active role in Ibadan, Oyo State and in other parts of the country. So I am very active in the PDP.

Apart from the former Minister of State for FCT, Oloye Jumoke Akinjide, is there any of your other children who is also in politics?

All of them. Abayomi who also is a lawyer is very active in politics, Mobola, my daughter is very active in politics and if you count Jumoke that makes them three, so my family is very active in politics.

What is your assessment of the assignment of portfolios to the ministers?

He nominated very good people, I have no doubt about that. But my concern is with Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory. When we were in Lagos as Federal Capital, Yar Adua was a Minister for Lagos and he came from the North. When Obasanjo was in office before the Capital Territory was created, a Yoruba person was in charge. But since the Capital Territory has been created, Northerners have been ministers throughout. I don’t think that is the best for the country. I will like to see an Igbo, Yoruba, Middle-Belt man be a minister in charge of the Capital Territory. To consistently pick someone from the North as Minister for the Capital Territory is not in our national interest and is not good. I am not saying the people that have been picked are bad but I am talking about geographical spread. We should not give the impression that the capital territory belongs to a particular part of the country. It should be something that belongs to the whole country. That is the objection I have and I hope that will be corrected very soon.

So Nigerians did not make mistake voting him as the President?

I would not say Nigerians have made mistake although I would have preferred Goodluck Jonathan to win the election. But since he has been elected, I accept the election and all of us will support him to succeed.

In your wealth of wisdom, what do you think the president should do to make this country better?

Economically, Nigeria is the greatest in Africa. There is no doubt about that. But, we have a committee of 20 of which South Africa is a member and Nigeria is not, I don’t think that can be supported at all. Nigeria should be one of the people in the committee of 20, why Nigeria is excluded, I don’t understand at all. It cannot be defended, it cannot be justified. We should not be looked upon as if we are the colony of Europe or somebody who should be playing third or fourth role in that regard. Europe and America, Japan are wrong.

What is your candid advice to both the Federal Government and the Pro Biafran protesters on the Biafran agitation?
Anybody supporting Biafra must be very, very wrong. I don’t know their reason but whatever their reason, they are wrong. We fought a war for three years over Biafra and Biafra was defeated and the whole country united with the belief that Nigeria should remain one country and the Igbo joined the country and since then they have been governors in the country, they have been ministers both at the state and federal levels. They have been ambassadors abroad. I don’t see why anybody should now be asking for Biafra again, I think it should be rejected. I think they should call them to a meeting and talk to them as father to son and ask them to stop because there is no reason for them to do what they are doing. In the last government, we had an Igbo as Minister of Finance (Dr. Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) and also, we had an Igbo as Secretary to the government, we also had Igbo as ambassadors in many parts of the world. So, there is no excuse for anybody to say he wants to break up the country again after we fought a bloody war of about three years. We don’t want to go back to that. We want peace everywhere and we want a fair share whether you are from the North, East, West, South, Middle-Belt everything should be evenly and fairly distributed.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/biafra-is-dead-and-buried-akinjide/

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by majamajic(m): 8:01am On Apr 21, 2020
May his soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Oxb90: 8:01am On Apr 21, 2020
Clap for yourself Sir. If indeed it was defeated why the agitation now and then?. Sir let me inform you, biafra is like a religion to the mind of the majority of igbos. If you suppress those championing it today, in no time another generation will come and they will start from where the former stopped. Go to the igbo hinterlands and carry out a survey, you will find out that they all believe in biafra as the solution to their sufferings. You are saying igbos have been giving political appointments in this government or the other, those appointments are made to individuals who does not contribute nothing to better the lot of the igbos. May I remind you Sir, the northerners have rulled Nigeria more than the rest regions but has that brought development to the northerners? Every sepperation must not end in blood shed. Shallom

6 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by fjjc(m): 8:09am On Apr 21, 2020
RIP.
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by seunmsg(m): 8:21am On Apr 21, 2020
You guys want to drag Akinjide for his opinion on Biafra?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Sctests: 8:23am On Apr 21, 2020
See his ugly ewedu face. No wonder he died hopelessly.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PlayerMeji: 8:24am On Apr 21, 2020
I can now understand the true meaning of the term[b] 'iDumb'[/b] as a better definition for the term iPob.

Can't say any further...

1 Like

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Sctests: 8:27am On Apr 21, 2020
seunmsg:

That is an example of the hate and the anti-Igbo sentiments you people sowed in the pre-internet era in your yoruba newspapers that we've been talking about.

It is what you are now reaping in this social media era, thinking that your pre-internet hate on the Igbos is buried forever.

An evidential testament that your lamentation against 'Igbo-hate' was preceeded by a greater hate from you yorubas.

We have all the copies of your anti-Igbo propaganda, dating back to the 1940s and 1950s. Calm down and enjoy the fruits of your labour of anti-Igbo hate. No dey run around. grin

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Lipscomb(m): 8:27am On Apr 21, 2020
Although he is a betrayal. But why are you lying about your headline.
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PlayerMeji: 8:35am On Apr 21, 2020
Oga, you are your worst enemies.. You schemed yourselves out from power with the very first bullet from the 1966 coup.

Sctests:

That is an example of the hate and the anti-Igbo sentiments you people sowed in the pre-internet era in your yoruba newspapers that we've been talking about.

It is what you are now reaping in this social media era, thinking that your pre-internet hate on the Igbos is buried forever.

An evidential testament that your lamentation against 'Igbo-hate' was preceeded by a greater hate from you yorubas.

We have all the copies of your anti-Igbo propaganda, dating back to the 1940s and 1950s. Calm down and enjoy the fruits of your labour of anti-Igbo hate.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Sctests: 8:40am On Apr 21, 2020
PlayerMeji:
Oga, you are your worst enemies.. You schemed yourselves out from power with the very first bullet from the 1966 coup.

I agree with you, Major Ademoyega, Lt Ganiyu Adeleke, Lt Afolabi who are part of the coup schemed yorubas out from power and made their votes irrelevant that they lost every election in which they voted until yesterday in 2015. You are right. grin

Awo, MKO, Olu falae should blame the yoruba coupist for their serial failure at the polls.

grin

4 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PDJT: 8:43am On Apr 21, 2020
-And who asked an ugly yorooba Buffon his opinion on Biafra?

-Shameless yorooba people always begging for unity, despite their deep hatred for Ndi’Igbo.

-When the British concoction called “Nigeria” finally seizes to exist, Republic of Biafra will still be here on Earth. A Biafran is more patriotic to Biafra, than a Nigerian is to Nigeria. Fact!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PDJT: 8:45am On Apr 21, 2020
[s]
PlayerMeji:

[/s]

-Why is it that to you lots, it’s always about Power?
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:07am On Apr 21, 2020
seunmsg:
I tell you, someone deliberately posted this

It's someone within who doesn't like him grin grin grin
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Smoke55: 9:19am On Apr 21, 2020
So Now Who Is Dead? Him Or Biafra? Biafra Agitation Is Still On, While He Will Soon Be Lowered 6ft Beneath The Earth.

4 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PlayerMeji: 9:26am On Apr 21, 2020
Lol...I didn't see you lots when Jonathan was in power clamoring for your 'iDumb' stance.

The moment you got schemed out from power the agitation has begun.

Tell me it wasn't about Power again...

PDJT:
[s][/s]

-Why is it that to you lots, it’s always about Power?
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PlayerMeji: 9:33am On Apr 21, 2020
Interestingly, history does not have it that those you mentioned started the coup... Your Patrick Kaduna Nzeogwu did.

As Yoruba's we understand democratic politics is turn by turn hence we patiently waited till we got our pound of flesh and the center has not held for your 'iDumb' lots.

Sctests:

I agree with you, Major Ademoyega, Lt Ganiyu Adeleke, Lt Afolabi who are part of the coup schemed yorubas out from power and made their votes irrelevant that they lost every election in which they voted until yesterday in 2015. You are right. grin

Awo, MKO, Olu falae should blame the yoruba coupist for their serial failure at the polls.

grin
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by dalass(f): 1:02pm On Apr 21, 2020
Hmmmm
I hope not... I believe in self determination
. let each tribe govern itself. That's when unprecedented progress can be seen.
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by helinues: 1:05pm On Apr 21, 2020
Far far dead.

RIP
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by nairavsdollars(f): 2:06pm On Apr 21, 2020
each tribe can't govern itself. that will amount to anarchy
dalass:
Hmmmm
I hope not... I believe in self determination
. let each tribe govern itself. That's when unprecedented progress can be seen.
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by gidgiddy: 2:27pm On Apr 21, 2020
What is your candid advice to both the Federal Government and the Pro Biafran protesters on the Biafran agitation?
Anybody supporting Biafra must be very, very wrong. I don’t know their reason but whatever their reason, they are wrong. We fought a war for three years over Biafra and Biafra was defeated and the whole country united with the belief that Nigeria should remain one country and the Igbo joined the country and since then they have been governors in the country, they have been ministers both at the state and federal levels. They have been ambassadors abroad. I don’t see why anybody should now be asking for Biafra again, I think it should be rejected. I think they should call them to a meeting and talk to them as father to son and ask them to stop because there is no reason for them to do what they are doing. In the last government, we had an Igbo as Minister of Finance (Dr. Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala) and also, we had an Igbo as Secretary to the government, we also had Igbo as ambassadors in many parts of the world. So, there is no excuse for anybody to say he wants to break up the country again after we fought a bloody war of about three years. We don’t want to go back to that. We want peace everywhere and we want a fair share whether you are from the North, East, West, South, Middle-Belt everything should be evenly and fairly distributed.

Its very unfortunate that an old man like Akinjide who was a well educated man even before the civil war could still be reasoning like this. Scotland and Britain fought several wars which ended in Scotland becoming part of Britain. Despite all the positions Scots have held in British government, nobody ever told Scotland to give up their right of self determination because they were defeated or because of positions they have held. Some years ago when a Scottish man called Gordon Brown was Prime minister of the UK, Scotland was at the peak of its agitation for independence and they were granted referendum in 2014

For someone to be saying "you were defeated, you are wrong to agitate for independence", "you have been minister, Governor, vice president, therefore you shouldn't be talking about Biafra". Wow

This is the mentality of someone who lives in the past. No matter the outcome of the civil war, no matter what political positions Igbos have held in the past, they still retain their universal right to agitate for self determination which is enshrined in international law.

The only thing he said that made sense is that the agitators should have been engaged.

"One Nigeria" is not set in stone, it never will be. Anyone and anybody has the full right to agitate, via lawful means, to be independent of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PDJT: 2:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
[s]
PlayerMeji:
Lol...I didn't see you lots when Jonathan was in power clamoring for your 'iDumb' stance.

[/s]

-Those with power, how are they fairing? I heard they have been described as “the poorest of the poor” in order to give them equivalent of $40 to live on during the lockdown. There is only so much political power can do for you, but I don’t expect you to understand that phrase after all you’re a Nigerian with nigerian “education”.

-People with sense of self-determination are clamouring to detach themselves from the unworkable European establishments across mother Africa, but yours is to aspire to be the head-boy of the Slave orchard. May God help you lose your unconsciousness some day.

1 Like

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by dalass(f): 3:02pm On Apr 21, 2020
nairavsdollars:
each tribe can't govern itself. that will amount to anarchy

Americans are governed by Americans... Britain pulled out of the EU!....
Igbo's should rule themselves, same for Yoruba and Hausa.. Nigeria can be split into the six geopolitical regions and let's have some peace and process a beg....

Buhari is there ruling people much better than him just because it is the turn of the North! Who he help?

If we're to move forward, this British contraption called Nigeria has to be unbundled into Nations who understand themselves and will let their best man win because if they don't, they will remain stuck while others advance...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by dalass(f): 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
gidgiddy:

Its very unfortunate that an old man like Akinjide who was a well educated man even before the civil war could still be reasoning like this. Scotland and Britain fought several wars which ended in Scotland becoming part of Britain. Despite all the positions Scots have held in British government, nobody ever told Scotland to give up their right of self determination because they were defeated or because of positions they have held. Some years ago when a Scottish man called Gordon Brown was Prime minister of the UK, Scotland was at the peak of its agitation for independence and they were granted referendum in 2014

For someone to be saying "you were defeated, you are wrong to agitate for independence", "you have been minister, Governor, vice president, therefore you shouldn't be talking about Biafra". Wow

This is the mentality of someone who lives in the past. No matter the outcome of the civil war, no matter what political positions Igbos have held in the past, they still retain their universal right to agitate for self determination which is enshrined in international law.

The only thing he said that made sense is that the agitators should have been engaged.

"One Nigeria" is not set in stone, it never will be. Anyone and anybody has the full right to agitate, via lawful means, to be independent of Nigeria

Good reasoning.. I support anything that works.. Especially leaving and shelving this British idea called Nigeria because aside religion, the education, healthcare and all infrastructure left behind by them including the police and army were all made for the benefit of the colonial masters and not for us....

Hence all are in shambles today
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by sapele914(m): 3:24pm On Apr 21, 2020
dalass:

Americans are governed by Americans... Britain pulled out of the EU!....
Igbo's should rule themselves, same for Yoruba and Hausa.. Nigeria can be split into the six geopolitical regions and let's have some peace and process a beg....

Buhari is there ruling people much better than him just because it is the turn of the North! Who he help?

If we're to move forward, this British contraption called Nigeria has to be unbundled into Nations who understand themselves and will let their best man win because if they don't, they will remain stuck while others advance...
A man without a history is a nobody, we know you are not from the contraption of Nigeria, please blame your parents, and leave us alone in Nigeria, it was their mistake for even conceiving you in the 1st place, who forced them to give birth to you in Nigeria?, they could have crossed the border to Ghana, or Togo, Republic of Benin, or Cameroun, your woes & suffering, hoping for an imaginary lala Utopia Biafra, has nothing to do with The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

A Failure will always look for who to blame for his own shortcomings, We know you are in possession of your Biafra passport from the Biafra Immigration & Passport Agency, please go to Biafra, has any one stopped you from exploring the Bight of Bonny to find out where your ancestral home is? Mumu purported Wailer.
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by PureGoldh(m): 3:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
Just speechless...make I no talk wetin dey my mind first
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Activistman(m): 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2020
It was even confirmed by Chinua Achebe in his last literary work as an extinct country (There was a country).
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by dalass(f): 4:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
sapele914:
A man without a history is a nobody, we know you are not from the contraption of Nigeria, please blame your parents, and leave us alone in Nigeria, it was their mistake for even conceiving you in the 1st place, who forced them to give birth to you in Nigeria?, they could have crossed the border to Ghana, or Togo, Republic of Benin, or Cameroun, your woes & suffering, hoping for an imaginary lala Utopia Biafra, has nothing to do with The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

A Failure will always look for who to blame for his own shortcomings, We know you are in possession of your Biafra passport from the Biafra Immigration & Passport Agency, please go to Biafra, has any one stopped you from exploring the Bight of Bonny to find out where your ancestral home is? Mumu purported Wailer.

You have a viral infected brain. Its probably hemorrhaging .

I'm not Igbo and certainly not suffering ... Not anywhere near your stupid imagination! dumbass!!!

Its contented eediots like you that think whatever is handed down to you is always okay. Nigeria is not anywhere near its potential.. So I'm entitled to my opinion.. So run along and hope you have received your 5k to spend

Just get off my mention with your false assumption of who I am.. Nincompoop!
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by Dedetwo(m): 9:40pm On Apr 21, 2020
The freaking dumbass was the face of tribalism in Nigeria especially in academia.
Re: Throwback Interview: Biafra Is Dead And Buried - Richard Akinjide by gidgiddy: 10:44pm On Apr 21, 2020
PlayerMeji:

Really? So you never hears of MASSOB and Ralph Uwazurike? They were protesting and agitating for Biafra even during Obasanjo's regime. I wonder why people think that the Biafran agitation started with Jonathans election loss? When Nnamdi Kanu started Radio Biafra in 2009, Im not sure Jonathan was President yet

(1) (Reply)

My Restructuring Plan For Nigeria / Breaking: Abiola Ajimobi Is Dead / How Can You Be Renovating The House Of Assembly In Rainy Season?-( Ize - Iyamu )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.