Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,519 members, 7,843,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian (129821 Views)

Lai Mohammed Berates Canadian Government, Twitter Over Handling Of Protests / "Happy To Be Home" - Nigerian Soldier With His Family After War With Boko Haram / Jonathan Government Gave Irrevocable Licence To Electricity Distribution Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Carlmax(m): 5:11am On Apr 22, 2020
Bennysam:

Everybody is shouting and cursing Nigeria government,
If Nigeria ask you for tax now you will start to hide , don't
Be jealous of those that tax when they receive some like this

You think Nigerians don't pay tax? I have personally paid millions in tax in this country, where is the stupid government when I need them? Are you a business owner or employee.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Carlmax(m): 5:12am On Apr 22, 2020
DexterousOne:

Answer this two questions

1) Is Nigeria rich enough to support the profligacy of the national assembly?

2)Is Nigeria rich enough to support the lifestyle of wasteful political appointees and the executive?

The answer is NO

You see where you get it wrong

If Nigeria is a poor country as you all are saying

Let it reflect from the spending pattern from the top all the way down

There is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for the govt not giving a comprehensive bailout to people no matter how small while at the same time servicing the lush lifestyle of criminals in Abuja (the green chamber got sharp nee cars for themselves, people who already have a retinue of cars at home)
You see mad country?

Oga God bless you and yours for this post.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Edosao: 5:14am On Apr 22, 2020
How I which 2% of that amount can be made available to all Nigerian by our government
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ekerintee: 5:22am On Apr 22, 2020
Thank u for telling them ,half of my salary in Europe goes to rent,I have got to pay bills which I have signed a contract to pay monthly.some folks even said they gave everybody in Europe money for corona.i don't know where they got that from.i didn't get any food at my door .I only know govt help only those who lost their jobs or affected and not everybody.a tiny percent.when u are working some taxes are deducted from your earning.it is called unployment tax,when u lose your job.u get the money back.this is what this people get ,tax payers money .I pray Nigerians get to that level.it is highly misleading to just display paycheck without explanations what the money is meant for .

quote author=DualCore1 post=88714174]
Canada giving out $2,000 per month is equivalent to Nigeria giving out 15,000 Naira per month.

Average house rent in Canada for one bedroom is $1000 per month (including utilities, minus internet and electricity). Tax is collecting between $500 and $1000 from that $2000. What’s left? This thread is just misleading. [/quote]

5 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Jaqenhghar: 5:35am On Apr 22, 2020
ekerintee:
Thank u for telling them ,half of my salary in Europe goes to rent,I have got to pay bills which I have signed a contract to pay monthly.some folks even said they gave everybody in Europe money for corona.i don't know where they got that from.i didn't get any food at my door .I only know govt help only those who lost their jobs or affected and not everybody.a tiny percent.when u are working some taxes are deducted from your earning.it is called unployment tax,when u lose your job.u get the money back.this is what this people get ,tax payers money .I pray Nigerians get to that level.it is highly misleading to just display paycheck without explanations what the money is meant for .

quote author=DualCore1 post=88714174]
Canada giving out $2,000 per month is equivalent to Nigeria giving out 15,000 Naira per month.

Average house rent in Canada for one bedroom is $1000 per month (including utilities, minus internet and electricity). Tax is collecting between $500 and $1000 from that $2000. What’s left? This thread is just misleading.
The problem is many of them will just convert the money to naira and marvel at how much it is. You said it all. It's all about the context

3 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Edijana2015(m): 5:38am On Apr 22, 2020
The biggest problem we have in this country is illiteracy. I knew before the pandemic that the leaders have their own issues but the masses are truly the cause of our problem in this country. It is audible to the deaf and visible to the blind that virtually all Nigerians are corrupt just that they do not have opportunity to exhibit their stealing and corrupt abilities.

Ask a Nigerian man to shortlist names of people working in an organization for palliatives, then you will understand that corruption is at every level in this country.
Yet we point accusing fingers to the government alone.

April 2016, I received NEPA bill of over 10k for an apartment that I have not moved into. I visited their office to find out why. So I took them to my house and truly they saw there was nothing in the building. They asked me to just pay 5k and forget about it, but I refused and decided not to use NEPA light anymore. I then wrote an application for them to disconnect my light officially because we barely get more than 5 hours supply of light in 24 hours.
Some other persons liked my initiative and also apply for disconnection that same day.
The next minute i saw security personnel asking me to leave the office immediately or I will face the law for instigating citizens.
I tried to make people around understand that if we all reject the bill and seek for disconnection, they must listen to us. I wept that day for Africans because we are not united and the bottom. Do you what; you cannot liberate a man that doesn't know his/her right. Over 90% of the citizens don't know what they want that is our problem.

See my fellow Nigerians let's not get it twisted we are more powerful than the government we elected if we are united, just that we suffer from schizophrenia.

We haven't seen nothing yet, they will continue to mistreat us, reduce us and rub us of all our rights as citizens.

Too many things to talk about but...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nobody: 5:39am On Apr 22, 2020
DEADALIVE:

Tax has nothing to do with a working system....If a system is working and laws are strictly obeyed nobody will want to evade tax...mind you nobody loves paying tax even the devloped countries that is why you see celebrities who innocently evaded tax still get punished once revealed.
So if you look at south Africa their system is working in few areas only where blacks are majority you get to see violence multiple times why they want everything free.
Black man black heart.

SA tax systems work perfectly in all areas

Super rich are taxed more, employees earning less than R6500(N140 000)are not taxed
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by patrickmuf(m): 5:44am On Apr 22, 2020
AccessME:
We are really suffering in this country embarassed embarassed embarassed

It will never be well with those still supporting this evil and wicked Nigeria leaders. cry
I like the fact that you didn't say APC or PDP as they're all the same...
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ollypass: 6:00am On Apr 22, 2020
TruthinAction:
Nigeria money is only meant for a few thieves. This country is very rich but our polithiefians loot our monies. Even the revenue we generate is more than ten times what they declare. Over 80% goes to private pocket. This will be confirmed the day we have an honest President.
No mind that moniker that always brings tax talk up anytime he sees this kind of topic...what have they done with the tax we pay..in this covid days how av they helped us that pay tax,instead they de-elinate us with the excuse of poor of the poor and push over a quarter of the money for handouts to Katsina residents and probably the rest to card carrying members of Thier party...tell me one way this government has recompensed us that pay tax in this season

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Olusheyi1(m): 6:05am On Apr 22, 2020
gotnel:
The consequence of the Canadians people actions is what they are actually reaping.
The problem with us here in Nigeria is that both the government and the people are problematic.
No miracle is happening in Canada.
People pay taxes as an when due. Government officials carried out their responsibility accordingly.
There are many reasons why their success stories is palatable.

Here in Nigeria, we are all cutting corners in every way.
Government officials are rogues.
The man on the street is a major rogues than the man in government.
Everything about us here is for cheating.
We are all to blame in this country.

Well, nobody should put the blame of the failure of this country on me. Maybe on someone else. But not me. I will confidently put 95% of the blame on the government and the remaining 5% on the voters who blindly vote in times of elections.
If I may ask, who's to maintain law and order? Is it me? Or is maintenance of law and order all about pursuing thieves and Boko Haram up and down?

Leave human being in any country to do what they like, everyone can never go the same way of obeying the law without being guided or forced no matter how little. Even God as mighty as He is, realises that the heart of man is desperately evil(not differentiating white man from black man). As a matter of fact, government exists to regulate all human's affairs and our own government really seems not to care about that.

Talking about tax payment, I've been working since at least 2015 and would always hear that tax was removed from my salary on a monthly basis, yet, no tax card or number till date! You mean I should go and query the HR of all the companies to ensure they remit the tax?

Our government is yet to do enough almost at every level to get things working properly and so how do you blame a common man for that?
When almost all the processes of tax payment are done with almost paper and pencil and almost on a monthly basis(especially for businesses) not to even mention the unavailability of infrastructure that ought to bridge the gap for the tax payment. The same government wants tax and electricity that companies can hardly do without is being left aside by same government.

I am even very sure that if we were paying tax like people in foreign countries, the case might be that Companies would be taking loans to finance their operations since infrastructures are not visible. Common portable water is not in many places.

Later they'll say we don't pay enough tax like people in other countries and that's why there's never been enough fund to fix the myriad of infrastructural deficits all over the nation! What about all loans? Why not take new loans(even if the old ones have been swallowed by snakes or rats abi rodents...whatever) to fix many of them and take tax and other revenue generating sources to repay gradually?

What about the recent popular burial attended by many of those that have locked us down at home for almost a month and nothing has been done to them? Is it still Nigerians' evil nature?
Or is it me that said cash palliative should be taken to North when lockdown was/is in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja? Or what could I have done to avert that? I even remember Osun State governor saying about three weeks ago or so at one of the COVID-19 briefings(while answering a question from a journalist who asked about how the cash relief would get to his parents in his village) saying that people in villages shouldn't expect palliative since they could still go to their farms simply because lockdown isn't affecting them.

Small time again they'll say oh, federal government had given Lagos State government #10billion! How has that reached individual Lagosians pocket to cater for lockdown effects...or was that fund given to the state government to share to its inhabitants?

When someone is not doing good, it's good to say it as it is. Our government is doing poorly and that's it. Enough of all this you pay tax, you don't pay tax gimmicks.

Especially in this Covid19 era, they're not trying at all on palliative matter.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by salford1: 6:14am On Apr 22, 2020
Olusheyi1:

Well, nobody should put the blame of the failure of this country on me. Maybe on someone else. But not me. I will confidently put 95% of the blame on the government and the remaining 5% on the voters who blindly vote in times of elections.
If I may ask, who's to maintain law and order? Is it me? Or is maintenance of law and order all about pursuing thieves and Boko Haram up and down?

Leave human being in any country to do what they like, everyone can never go the same way of obeying the law without being guided or forced no matter how little. Even God as mighty as He is, realises that the heart of man is desperately evil(not differentiating white man from black man). As a matter of fact, government exists to regulate all human's affairs and our own government really seems not to care about that.

Talking about tax payment, I've been working since at least 2015 and would always hear that tax was removed from my salary on a monthly basis, yet, no tax card or number till date! You mean I should go and query the HR of all the companies to ensure they remit the tax?

Our government is yet to do enough almost at every level to get things working properly and so how do you blame a common man for that?
When almost all the processes of tax payment are done with almost paper and pencil and almost on a monthly basis(especially for businesses) not to even mention the unavailability of infrastructure that ought to bridge the gap for the tax payment. The same government wants tax and electricity that companies can hardly do without is being left aside by same government.

I am even very sure that if we were paying tax like people in foreign countries, the case might be that Companies would be taking loans to finance their operations since infrastructures are not visible. Common portable water is not in many places.

Later they'll say we don't pay enough tax like people in other countries and that's why there's never been enough fund to fix the myriad of infrastructural deficits all over the nation! What about all loans? Why not take new loans(even if the old ones have been swallowed by snakes or rats abi rodents...whatever) to fix many of them and take tax and other revenue generating sources to repay gradually?

What about the recent popular burial attended by many of those that have locked us down at home for almost a month and nothing has been done to them? Is it still Nigerians' evil nature?
Or is it me that said cash palliative should be taken to North when lockdown was/is in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja? Or what could I have done to avert that? I even remember Osun State governor saying about three weeks ago or so at one of the COVID-19 briefings(while answering a question from a journalist who asked about how the cash relief would get to his parents in his village) saying that people in villages shouldn't expect palliative since they could still go to their farms simply because lockdown isn't affecting them.

Small time again they'll say oh, federal government had given Lagos State government #10billion! How has that reached individual Lagosians pocket to cater for lockdown effects...or was that fund given to the state government to share to its inhabitants?

When someone is not doing good, it's good to say it as it is. Our government is doing poorly and that's it. Enough of all this you pay tax, you don't pay tax gimmicks.

Especially in this Covid19 era, they're not trying at all on palliative matter.
It's really a sad state of affairs. This reminds me of what pensioners have been going through in the hands of the government. Imagine working and paying pension all their lives only for someone sitting down somewhere to embezzle. No one protested on their behalf. Now Covid is here and people are also having a similar taste of what pensioners go through. Sowore protested, and he was promptly locked up, but the youths were busy watching big brother Nigeria. They cared less. If Covid 19 doesn't wake Nigerians up from their slumber, then the country is done for.

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by softset: 6:24am On Apr 22, 2020
Look at this imb-ecile, you are so rude, you wake up at 2am and insult those that can hire your parents . Lol . I will not blame you.... you think traveling out of Nigeria is now a huge accomplishment.

Realtalk20:
[s][/s]

All these idiots that have never left Nigeria re always quick to talk

Pls shut up
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by softset: 6:30am On Apr 22, 2020
I am not a hypocrite, I tell you one thing son, pray for God's blessings , work hard , be the best at what you do. Trust me, when things go right with you in Nigeria, running with your family and not planning to return will not cross your mind.

lollybizzu:

You're an hypocrite bro...
Call a spade a spade...

For me o, I won't return.
Might come visiting o before I finally carry everyone I love.

I know some people has suffering engraved in their DNA.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by orisa37: 6:34am On Apr 22, 2020
VERY LOGICAL.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Positiveme2020: 6:38am On Apr 22, 2020
Kemimarch16:
Oh my God,I can't wait to go to my dream country (Canada)

Are u in the pool now? I sent a pm
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by hbfix: 6:39am On Apr 22, 2020
You don't need dis bro..we all have right to support anybody.tell me u don't have any of ur relatives supporting dis leaders,so dis ur kinda prayer might still end up hitting a family member.
AccessME:

It will never be well with those still supporting this evil and wicked Nigeria leaders. cry
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Focusmind: 6:40am On Apr 22, 2020
The way Nigerians will apply for the canada PR after this lock down ehh.

The Corona has exposed the wide gap between developed and developing nation.

I had maintained that I wouldn't be leaving this country but my wife has started putting pressure for us to enrolle in the Canada federal skill immigration and leave.

Sometimes, the behaviour of our leaders makes some of us that still wants to stay here in Nigeria to look insane.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Rejoice5000(f): 6:43am On Apr 22, 2020
Biafrannuke:
Smh for the zoo.

Biafra g'enwe mmeri!
Iseee
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nairalandmonika: 6:49am On Apr 22, 2020
daddytime:
Nice one.

Just stay safe and away from any potential mass shooting site.

Our people say beauty no dey complete.

Their Government dey people-oriented, but you fit just say make you stroll go supermarket to buy some grocery the next thing one kolo oyibo wey half done and medium-rare meat don chop part of him brain go just enter there begin shoot everybody for no just cause.

In fact ehn, e no get anywhere wey e be 10/10.

Las las na only God perfect.

With this lockdown I just wished I was in my village aswear.

Easy jeje life...wetin concern you concern coro

I was shocked to notice there were no mosquitoes in my village the last time I visited. I slept with the netless windows open.
Na so,give urself hope
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by omisowolabi: 6:50am On Apr 22, 2020
Pls help a brother to feed his family, am totally stranded. Am just scared that d kids shld not start crying on my head today as there is no food at home again. My bank detail 2176567596 O.O.S zenith bank. More blessing to Naira land guys.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Peters1212(m): 6:51am On Apr 22, 2020
I blame Obafemi Awolowo and Tafawa Balewa
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nairalandmonika: 6:51am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.
Shut up jor
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by TruthSpeaker: 6:52am On Apr 22, 2020
softset:
$2600 is not a lot of money if you live in Canada.How long will it take you to spend that .

If you will no longer return to Nigeria because of that amount, I sympathize with your situation.

BAD BELLE DEY YOU, NO DOUBT. IT IS 3 PACKS OF 150 GRAMS NODDLE AND A OF BOTTLE VEGETABLE OIL THAT SOME FORTUNATE DUDES GET IN NIGERIA THAT WILL LAST FOREVER?
WHAT HAS NIGERIA GOT TO OFFER ANY RETURNEE? IS IT $10,000 OF FREE MONEY YOU EXPECT HIM TO GET?
BY THE WAY, HOPE YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE NIGERIA GOVERNMENT ARE INVITING HOME HAVE TO PAY FOR THE FLIGHT EXPENSES INCLUDING TICKET?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by lomprico(m): 6:59am On Apr 22, 2020
AccessME:

Amen
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by drehdinho(m): 7:00am On Apr 22, 2020
kikero:
Hmm

Canada's budget this year is $355 billion for 24 million people.

Nigeria's budget this year is $26 billion for 200 million people.

And you expect Nigeria to give palliative of N626000 naira per person or per family?

Nigeria is a mess, but we are not up to Canada's level. Vote for governments who would make us an industrial nation, then we can talk.

To all those people cursing Nigeria up-thread...yes, we have had corrupt governments. But there is no way our government can afford to give stimulus of N626,000 naira to everyone. Not on our budget,without taking even more mega loans.

Modified

Even giving 100million Nigerians N50000 each a month would involve spending the equivalent of our budget for the year in one month.($26 Billion)

How come one politician can manage to embezzle the $26 billion or even more in this same Nigeria?

Where do these type of politicians see these money?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by sunbreaker: 7:02am On Apr 22, 2020
softset:
$2600 is not a lot of money if you live in Canada.How long will it take you to spend that .

If you will no longer return to Nigeria because of that amount, I sympathize with your situation.
.Seconded
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by 123papas(m): 7:02am On Apr 22, 2020
One is 10 times likely to die in Nigeria from suicide bombers, kidnappers, police stray bullets than from a Canadian shooting site.
daddytime:
Nice one.

Just stay safe and away from any potential mass shooting site.

Our people say beauty no dey complete.

Their Government dey people-oriented, but you fit just say make you stroll go supermarket to buy some grocery the next thing one kolo oyibo wey half done and medium-rare meat don chop part of him brain go just enter there begin shoot everybody for no just cause.

In fact ehn, e no get anywhere wey e be 10/10.

Las las na only God perfect.

With this lockdown I just wished I was in my village aswear.

Easy jeje life...wetin concern you concern coro

I was shocked to notice there were no mosquitoes in my village the last time I visited. I slept with the netless windows open.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nairalandmonika: 7:03am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.
And u think we don't pay tax in Nigeria.
The working class in Nigeria all pay tax. You must be jobless for u to say we don't pay tax in Nigeria.
Then we also pay value added tax for every products we buy.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Shattuck(m): 7:07am On Apr 22, 2020
BabangidaHamza:
u dey mind those fellas??
for me taxation is not paid to provide those basic amenities it is made to sustain it,what does Nigeria have at the moment to sustain,is it the poor healthcare of kids sitting on bare floors in school,when you get to a developed nation the working system is already in place you pay tax to maintain it,we dont even have any standard facilities,and a govt known for massive looting of resources can inspire confidence of the masses when you can barely account for our collective wealth how can you account for our tax,and Nigeria's tax failure is not a problem of the masses its still a govt problem because it is their duty to enforce and create tax reforms,Canadians dont pay tax because they want to,they pay because they have to,failure to do so the system takes its course because they have a database and functional system,Nigeria does not have that,who do you blame for a lack of a structured revenue system still the govt,dont make excuses for failures abeg Nigeria is a mess.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nice202: 7:10am On Apr 22, 2020
I was shocked to notice there were no mosquitoes in my village the last time I visited. I slept with the netless windows open.[/quote]
Baba no be only you oo
The last time I visited my village for na me and short nicker main while here in KD mosquito just dey follow me up and down
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ominirajj: 7:19am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
And are we not paying tax here in Naija.
Lagos State own na multiple taxation self

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (19) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Arrested, Extradited To Nigeria, Arrived Nigeria On Sunday / Orji Uzor Kalu’s 400-Room Mansion In Igbere, Abia State (Photos) / Images From Kaduna Lockdown. Share Pictures From Your State.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.