Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,519 members, 7,843,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian (129820 Views)

Lai Mohammed Berates Canadian Government, Twitter Over Handling Of Protests / "Happy To Be Home" - Nigerian Soldier With His Family After War With Boko Haram / Jonathan Government Gave Irrevocable Licence To Electricity Distribution Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 3:27am On Apr 22, 2020
mastermaestro:

I am always pleased when enlightened guys like you try to school this ignorant mass of online noisemakers. They think Nigeria can afford everything for them. Interestingly, Nigeria's entire budget is equivalent to departmental budgets of many industrialized cities. But if you tell them, their thick ignorance won't let them understand.

Answer this two questions

1) Is Nigeria rich enough to support the profligacy of the national assembly?

2)Is Nigeria rich enough to support the lifestyle of wasteful political appointees and the executive?

The answer is NO

You see where you get it wrong

If Nigeria is a poor country as you all are saying

Let it reflect from the spending pattern from the top all the way down

There is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for the govt not giving a comprehensive bailout to people no matter how small while at the same time servicing the lush lifestyle of criminals in Abuja (the green chamber got sharp nee cars for themselves, people who already have a retinue of cars at home)
You see mad country?

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 3:28am On Apr 22, 2020
AreaFada2:

Something people forget. Even if we shared daily oil and gas proceeds to each person's account, it will be little still.
We missed the chance to diversify and build a huge taxation base like UAE previously relying on oil has done 25 to 35 years ago

We are a poor country. All we have is potential. With our biggest resource being human.

Western countries, Japan, South Korea and lateky China have relied on brains to become what they are now.

Well said
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Nobody: 3:28am On Apr 22, 2020
naijacann:

My friend SHAAARAAAAP!
Canada invested the little money they had and made progress in developing their economy over years
What did Nigeria do with all the Money realized from oil and tax over all these years? They were all looted.
Maybe if our useless leaders had developed our economy well over these years, who the hell is Canada to compete with us?

Canada is also an industrial country as well, making billions annually from its industries.

Canada also collects taxes from everyone...ie the city and rural dweller.

Yes, our leaders looted this country. But the truth is, so also did we Nigerians. Most of us Nigerians want free things.

Like now, many Nigerians don't pay for power. This makes it difficult for DISCOS and GENCOS to improve power supply, which in turn means we spend more on providing our own power supply, and at the same time, our ability to generate jobs via industrial development is limited.

We also vote for politicans,in both PDP and APC, and refuse to vote for other parties and other people, because 'they are weak' or because someone bribed us to vote for the big men

We refuse to support polices that would help us become an industrial nation, instead we want to share a national cake that does not exist.

And on top of all that, we don't earn enough cash from oil. Our budget this year is 26billion dollars for 200million people. Canada has 34 million people, and a budget of 355billion dollars.

You are free to abuse me all day long, but the fact is, Nigeria is not a rich country. The looting of our leaders, and the callousness of the followers is making it worse.

Let me close by using this analogy. Two men earn a monthly salary of N300000 each. One man has 2 children, the other has 10 children and 5 dependents. Which one will have the better dressed and better provided for children?

We are , as someone said upthread, a rich country, just not rich enough for 200 million people.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 3:32am On Apr 22, 2020
9jaRealist:
This is why Trump and so-called “real” Americans do not want you...
You won’t pay taxes in your own country but come to enjoy their taxpayers’ money.

Meanwhile, even citizens of the US (the world’s richest country) are required to pay for their own fare back for Covid evacuations. SMH

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11402720_cymera20200421220101_jpegc661f7a7ffca832dd081e63fd94ec108
>

What is this one talking about?

Which Nigerian who emigrated to canada using Express entry is not a taxpayer
Are you serious right now?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 3:35am On Apr 22, 2020
Gerrard59:
Successive governments have done a very bad thing (to them, it is a good thing) by disabusing the minds of most Nigerians to see suffering and smiling as a good thing. Inasmuch as I am not a fan of converting foreign currencies to the naira when it is not spent in Nigeria, governments in sane places have been paying their citizens to assuage the negative effects of the lockdown. It is not as if Nigeria can do a replica of what Canada did (Nigeria not Canada is suffering from multidimensional poverty), but years of suffering and smiling have broken the psyche of the average Nigerian.

You have spoken well

Things like these are enough to spark outrage

But what do we have?

Many Nigerians stick rationalizing and excusing the foolishness of the government

Nigeria has no excuse whatsoever
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by moshino(m): 3:36am On Apr 22, 2020
salford1:

4months only if you lose your job as a result of Covid and made atleast $5000 last year.

If you lose your job, you should get EI.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 3:40am On Apr 22, 2020
Eteka1:
You should have just said doubting Thomas. You sound derogatory.

Hope you are not in anyway thinking you are better off than anyone here (except of course those with inferiority complexes and low self-esteem), just because you are a second class citizen in the US?

Most Nigerians living in Nigeria are second class citizens

So dont give us that crap here
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by salford1: 3:41am On Apr 22, 2020
moshino:

If you lose your job, you should get EI.
Anyone that applies for EI now will be placed automatically on the CERB. It is meant to level up those that won't get max EI. EI benefits is 55% of average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum amount of $573 per week. To qualify for max EI amount, I think you need be in the top 10% earners in Canada. This means after 4 months those on EI would likely earn less than the CERB; hence, a palliative.

After 4 months, some that originally qualify for EI would be transfered to EI while others would fall off. Not every job loss qualifies for EI.

I never pray to lose my job.. God forbid. I am essential, and that CERB is only 1/8 of my family income. So you can see why $2k is an insult to some people. It looks like good money if you don't really earn much before Covid. It's basically an amount to keep you alive and to stabilize/prepare yourself. It's a win-win. The government gives you part of your paid tax back for you to survive and put back as a stimulant to the economy by spending.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DexterousOne(m): 3:42am On Apr 22, 2020
tonididdy:
Nobody asked our parents and grandparents to dey fcukk like dogs and over populating the country.

The problem of Nigeria is the population. We have money. A country with a budget annually of 26$B is not a moi-moi country but for a population of 200m plus and counting, it's a joke for such a country to thrive.

Educated couples should know better, 2 at most 3 kids or even one or none should be the planning. If we must save Nigeria, we must learn to keep our joysticks in our pants and not produce everytime we have sex.

Nigeria is rich but not rich enough to cater for 200m people.

This is the best comment here

Just to add

Our population is not the problem per se

It is the population GROWTH RATE..

That rate is so disgracefully high undecided

3 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by shege45: 3:46am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.
my bro if you like look am any how. Asides this money dem give, we dey collect tax return here. I was over shocked from the amount I got from my tax return. Since i done dey pay tax for Nigeria, I never get 500naira tax return
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by davidswhales(m): 3:46am On Apr 22, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Lugard it shall never be well with you

Lol.. what's lugard's concern in this now?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Tedpgrass: 3:47am On Apr 22, 2020
kikero:
Hmm

Canada's budget this year is $355 billion for 24 million people.

Nigeria's budget this year is $26 billion for 200 million people.

And you expect Nigeria to give palliative of N626000 naira per person or per family?

Nigeria is a mess, but we are not up to Canada's level. Vote for governments who would make us an industrial nation, then we can talk.

To all those people cursing Nigeria up-thread...yes, we have had corrupt governments. But there is no way our government can afford to give stimulus of N626,000 naira to everyone. Not on our budget,without taking even more mega loans.

Modified

Even giving 100million Nigerians N50000 each a month would involve spending the equivalent of our budget for the year in one month.($26 Billion)

Thank you for breaking it down

This is where I say to the youths,, reality check should be done before berating the government for every little issue.

Its a good thing to aspire to greater heights but its a smart thing to take stock of your current situation and devise a credible way to your El dorado.

The problem is that the latter is always left for the government to fix with no sense of personal responsibility.

Btw, that package described by the original op/ handle is NOT available to all.. So please avoid pple chasing clout to becloud your vision!!!

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by olumike001(m): 3:49am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:
don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.

With you and your 35 likes plus shares you re the problem of Nigeria, some people here will be worse than the present govt.

Everyone in this present administration enjoyed free education, almost everything was free during there youth days...u stand here to defend nonsense.
You no how much this govt get from tax? Is this country a zoo?
You see the hypocrisy going on about, organisation giving govt money while getting it back in the next second.
What will make our telecommunications company to ensure free access to educational websites, what will it take from them. All this websites offer free courses and certification and yet data tarrifs I can say is very high...
I can say everything is wrong with this country, no creative and distinctive ideas anymore

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by knowhowk: 3:49am On Apr 22, 2020
Defendants of wicked ,Bad and uncaring Attitudes of this Administration would soon come up to say there would be Inflation if the Government gives money to people ,They will start to comment Gibberish making reference to our Foreign reserves and nonsense Economics Statistics. This man is not a Canadian Citizen He is a Nigerian for God's sake ,Here the Government would start to look for the Poor,The old ,The Citizens ,they would even say it's only the people that has less than 5000 naira in there Account ,Have never seen such a wicked and Insensitive leaders and Adminstration like this before ,Stay Home to curb this Corona virus is just a very good steps but other Countries we imitate gives there Citizens what to eat while staying at home.The most seriouse aspect of this is that you still see some Lovers of leaders wickedness defending and supporting them with Stupid Excuses .Leaders are not problem sometimes but the hypocrites followers that say it's well when the truth is that things are not well at all.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Babapyro: 4:18am On Apr 22, 2020
That is your tax refund, you paid like 75% of that money already.
The problem here is that Nigerians don't pay tax,the whole of Nigerian tax is not even up to 5% of USA's yearly tax.so don't expect this kind of money now cos it's not magic or rocket science.
However the Nigerian government should have at least be able to give each persons 30k,tax refund or not the situation of things here is appaling.

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ekerintee: 4:21am On Apr 22, 2020
He also failed to tell people half of the money is going on monthly house rent.Nigerians are easily deceived,when people living abroad analyse expenses for
you.you will understand that the money is nothing,somebody even wrote on natural and yesterday that they gave everybody in Europe money ,I am laffing lol.The government only help the poor ,so anybody who got money and is displaying it is considered affected by Corona and probably not able to work.the money is for paying rent , electricity,water etc these utilities are paid monthly ,only a little fraction goes for food and a little is left for personal use.The developed countries have record of everybody living in their counties and illegal people don't qualify for anything and the government knows how much you earn and what you do for living .when you earn much ,u pay more tax and also you don't qualify for some things from government.so don't be deceived by people displaying paychecks ,they are 70percent categorized among the poor in the society or either they got laid off at work due to Corona

quote author=salam8528 1post=88691075]don't let him deceive u he has paid 70% of DAT money as tax. canada govt is not stupid.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by back2sender: 4:24am On Apr 22, 2020
Why is it that Igbo are the ONLY ones pouring insults upon thier country globally?

Is this a sign of poor upbringing?

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by sakssey23: 4:30am On Apr 22, 2020
donbachi:
I wonder how nigeria take become member of UN and commonwealth...they should have all membership status of all the countries,using covid-19 palliatives...any country wey no give should go and do so or face sanctions.

I swear this is very funny... Really got me laughing.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DualCore1: 4:32am On Apr 22, 2020
Note that up to 50% of that money could be demanded back as tax next year, between January and April and payment is not open to negotiation.

https://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/taxes/heres-how-to-calculate-how-much-tax-youll-owe-on-your-cerb-payments
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ddeola: 4:33am On Apr 22, 2020
Tell them. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ekerintee: 4:43am On Apr 22, 2020
The people showing pay checks refused to analyse how this money at calculated and what they are for.i don't think any government is stupid to give free money.alot of things are calculated in that money and the money is meant for those things.it becomes an offence when you don't use it for those things.it is an offence when you don't pay your rent out of it,no excuse for not paying your monthly feeding ,no excuse for not paying any other bills .all this basic things have been calculated and only a small fraction goes on feeding.i don't think Nigeria pay rent monthly and people want same amount lol

quote author=softset post=88694420]What if I am where? ...its not about me

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by bezimo(m): 4:47am On Apr 22, 2020
salford1:

You are a dunce. What you posted even stated it clearly. Maximum of 16 weeks (4 periods).
English comprehension problems much.

Period dates could be staggered for those in-and-out of jobs but still to a maximum of 4 periods.

If you are not stupid..you will see that the pay period is every 4 weeks till end of September Abeg get out..nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by ovielistic: 4:49am On Apr 22, 2020
bezimo:

If you are not stupid..you will see that the pay period is every 4 weeks till end of September Abeg get out..nonsense.

stop replying that guy..he is confused.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by DualCore1: 4:49am On Apr 22, 2020
ekerintee:
The people showing pay checks refused to analyse how this money at calculated and what they are for.i don't think any government is stupid to give free money.alot of things are calculated in that money and the money is meant for those things.it becomes an offence when you don't use it for those things.it is an offence when you don't pay your rent out of it,no excuse for not paying your monthly feeding ,no excuse for not paying any other bills .all this basic things have been calculated and only a small fraction goes on feeding.i don't think Nigeria pay rent monthly and people want same amount lol

quote author=softset post=88694420]What if I am where? ...its not about me

Canada giving out $2,000 per month is equivalent to Nigeria giving out 15,000 Naira per month.

Average house rent in Canada for one bedroom is $1000 per month (including utilities, minus internet and electricity). Tax is collecting between $500 and $1000 from that $2000. What’s left? This thread is just misleading.

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by salford1: 4:50am On Apr 22, 2020
bezimo:

You be proper olodo. You posted a screenshot you could not even comprehend. grin

I would not dignify you with a response after this. If not for Nairaland, you won't be even qualified to shine my shoes. Leg me spell it out for you $2000 times 4 = $8000. Enjoy your peanut $2k for 4 months.

Run along now, kid!

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Bennysam: 4:54am On Apr 22, 2020
AccessME:
We are really suffering in this country embarassed embarassed embarassed

It will never be well with those still supporting this evil and wicked Nigeria leaders. cry
Everybody is shouting and cursing Nigeria government,
If Nigeria ask you for tax now you will start to hide , don't
Be jealous of those that tax when they receive some like this

1 Like

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by AFONJAPIG(m): 5:05am On Apr 22, 2020
I have been eating free chop chop for the pass 3 months now, plus small cash from government... Home is where government is working... To hell with Nigeria

Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by toprealman: 5:06am On Apr 22, 2020
helinues:
Nice one..

But how are we sure this payment is for a Nigerian, except if he/she has dual citizenship
Uncle Thomas, just drop it Ok.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Carlmax(m): 5:06am On Apr 22, 2020
salam8528:

What about the taxes we pay here, abi na only Canada dey pay tax?
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Dybala11(m): 5:07am On Apr 22, 2020
timesup234:
Canada has no success story. It is all myth
At least they have better healthcare and electricity services. The standard of living there seems better than this shithole too, no success story can be associated with this hellhole if it's a myth.
Re: Lockdown: Canadian Government Gave Us N626k Each, I'm Not Coming Home - Nigerian by Dybala11(m): 5:09am On Apr 22, 2020
timesup234:
Hand go soon meet you for that Germany you dey run go. You never see anything. Your brainwashing still dey early stage. Na small time remain you go get sense
Are you a member of the ruling elite in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (19) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Arrested, Extradited To Nigeria, Arrived Nigeria On Sunday / Orji Uzor Kalu’s 400-Room Mansion In Igbere, Abia State (Photos) / Images From Kaduna Lockdown. Share Pictures From Your State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.