Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,790 members, 7,810,055 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. (9680 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by kenny888: 12:18pm On Jan 07, 2011
can there ever be a church service without offering giving?you are asked to give offerings even after sunday school lessons,and midweeks services.This last sunday my pastor talked on offering giving assive his life depend on it,he was pouring out curses on those that dont give and also to those that dont give enough. i began to wonder if there is any place in the bible were it is written that its madatory to give offerings not minding if the members are employed or not, or wether their businesses are growing or not. This also concerns thanksgiving offering,some of this pastors milk alot of their memebers through this means too,some collect every sunday thanksgiving while some collect monthly thanksgiving with alot of pressure mounted on their members and indirect curses to those that dont give. is there any were in the bible were thanksgiving offering is compulsory?also to offerings.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Amjustme: 12:44pm On Jan 07, 2011
Pick your bible and read, In 2corinthians chapter 8&9.
Its important we give but maybe not the way your pastor is saying it.
Secondly, he maybe trying to encourage some others whose hearts are hardened.
Pls read this passage cos it will help you.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by cardoso111(m): 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2011
Kenny,it is the life of members that depend on it.I repeat the life of the members depend on it.
Giving is so personal and yet spiritual!you will get back back many folds,even beyond your explanation
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by thweraja10: 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2011
I dont like it when churches bahave like beggers. Of course there is nothing bad in giving offering but churches should stop emphasizing on it. There are a lot of things they are supposed to preach about eg repentance and holiness but now all pastors wanna ride in hummer jeep and own a private jet. Only God will forgive us all
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by kenny888: 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2011
cardoso111:

Kenny,it is the life of members that depend on it.I repeat the life of the members depend on it.
Giving is so personal and yet spiritual!you will get back back many folds,even beyond your explanation
you expect me to believe you? God did not force anyone to give in the bible,these pastors are just enfiching themselves thats why we have churches in every corner
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by kenny888: 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2011
thweraja10:

I dont like it when churches bahave like beggers. Of course there is nothing bad in giving offering but churches should stop emphasizing on it. There are a lot of things they are supposed to preach about eg repentance and holiness but now all pastors wanna ride in hummer jeep and own a private jet. Only God will forgive us all
thank you my dear,thats exactly what i am talking about.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by UyiIredia(m): 1:11pm On Jan 07, 2011
giving is between you and God (a personal issue) >>> there was a point in my life i was consistent in my tithing (i handled my money better then) >>> and yes ! you are free to surmise (or disagree) that tithing could be a blessing or a curse >>> but seriously ! a pastor saying his members are curse for not tithing is repulsive to me. not a dime of my money can enter such a business center church

i do believe tithing is Biblical and (very importantly) personal >>> besides money (or material stuff) is not the only thing that can tithed >>> and as the story of cain & Abel depicts the sincerity behind the tithe is what matters

that's my 2 cents on this issue
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by skyangel(f): 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2011
thweraja10:

Gbam
In as much as Giving is necessary, i see no reason why curses should be placed on those who can't afford to give at one point or the other
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by thweraja10: 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2011
Sometimes we just use bible to exploit money from people. God even said he loves a cheerful giver and there is no where in the bible that God said its a must to give offering every meeting day in the sanctuary. Its not a sin if you dont give. Its not the money that matters but the heart that you use in giving it. No wonder Jesus said two people went to the Temple to drop offering one was a rich man and the other a poor woman the rich man gave thousands from his abundance and the poor widow gave all she had lets say 5 naira. But The bible recorded that the woman offering was accepted and far bigger that the man that gave thousands
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Mbeki: 1:54pm On Jan 07, 2011
thweraja10:

Sometimes we just use bible to exploit money from people. God even said he loves a cheerful giver and there is no where in the bible that God said its a must to give offering every meeting day in the sanctuary. Its not a sin if you dont give. Its not the money that matters but the heart that you use in giving it. No wonder Jesus said two people went to the Temple to drop offering one was a rich man and the other a poor woman the rich man gave thousands from his abundance and the poor widow gave all she had lets say 5 naira. But The bible recorded that the woman offering was accepted and far bigger that the man that gave thousands
The Nigeria pastors and churches will prefer the inverse, how do u expect the pastors to prefer 5 naira from a sincere worshiper to half a million thanksgiving offering by a thieving/corrupt politicians? They need to buy big jeeps and jet, 5 , 5 naira giving is light year away from their jet goals
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 07, 2011
i don't know what you guys benefit from going to religious places
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by JimmyBoy1: 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2011
The bible highlights several issues that attract blessings or curses, wether the pastor mentions them or not, the blessings and curses are attracted to us be the choices we make. The saying that ignorance of the law is no excuse also applies to spiritual matter.

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge:,

However, no portion of the bible should be considered in isolation, I have observed the tendency of some preachers to empasize  offering and tithe as if the believer can ignore other things änd still be blessed.

1Sam15:22  "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by thweraja10: 2:04pm On Jan 07, 2011
The bible highlights several issues that attract blessings or curses, wether the pastor mentions them or not, the blessings and curses are attracted to us be the choices we make. The saying that ignorance of the law is no excuse also applies to spiritual matter.

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge:,

However, no portion of the bible should be considered in isolation, I have observed the tendency of some preachers to empasize offering and tithe as if the believer can ignore other things änd still be blessed.

1Sam15:22 "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Yeah nice one
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by JimmyBoy1: 2:11pm On Jan 07, 2011
enitan2002:

i don't know what you guys benefit from going to religious places

Let us forget about the bible, take time and watch National Geagraphic Channel, it will amaze you how the entire creation i.e rocks,trees, animals,wind,rain ,snow, exist. You will obseve great level of  organization, dependability of elements of creation on each other ,adaptibilty of various elements  with their immediate habitat, the reproduction system is awesome,

A deep thinker we easily discern that a great hand must have created these system that works perfectly well year in year out and that they did not come into existence by accident.

Therefore such great hand should be woprshiped and adored
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 07, 2011
I've stopped being convinced by the use of Biblical verses to support ANY point of view that a pastor, 'born again' or any random deceiver deems fit to propagate. It seems that one can find justification for just about anything (including murder) in one part of the Bible or another. Little wonder it has long been the favourite back up tool of fraudsters, charlatans and cheats.

My opinion is that offering, thanksgiving, and every other form of material donation should be strictly optional; a personal decision made of one's volition and freewill. Forcing, threatening and blackmailing gullible folks to part with their hard-earned (or in some cases, illegally earned) money in order to fuel the pastor's greed/lust for material things and luxurious lifestyle is absolutely unacceptable.

I have been citing this example forever, and no one has been able to negate it: the colonial era missionaries that brought Christianity to Africa did not collect a dime from the local people, rather they used their own monies to build churches and schools. Indeed, they forsook their comfortable lifestyles in Europe to come and suffer in Africa just because they genuinely wanted to propagate the GOSPEL of christianity, nothing more. They were not interested in milking the poor villagers, and in fact their lifestyles were at par with those of the local peoples. To me, this is the example that anyone who chooses to do God's work should follow. God's work should not be a bread and butter affair; it should be a journey of self-deprivation and sacrifice; not one that guarantees a life of comfort and luxury for the pastor - obtained by coercing offerings and tithes out of people who seek salvation. The same way he who joins the military should be prepared to die at any time in the course of battle, he who chooses to become a man of God MUST be prepared to forsake worldly enjoyment, monetary gain, and all forms of comfort in exchange for winning souls for the Lord. I imagine that Jesus does not intend that salvation should be sold like a commodity in the marketplace that most churches have become.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Phate07(m): 2:33pm On Jan 07, 2011

Religion- Opium of the masses. undecided
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by JimmyBoy1: 2:38pm On Jan 07, 2011
pro01:

I've stopped being convinced by the use of Biblical verses to support ANY point of view that a pastor, 'born again' or any random deceiver deems fit to propagate. It seems that one can find justification for just about anything (including murder) in one part of the Bible or another. Little wonder it has long been the favourite back up tool of fraudsters, charlatans and cheats.

My opinion is that offering, thanksgiving, and every other form of material donation should be strictly optional; a personal decision made of one's volition and freewill. Forcing, threatening and blackmailing gullible folks to part with their hard-earned (or in some cases, illegally earned) money in order to fuel the pastor's greed/lust for material things and luxurious lifestyle is absolutely unacceptable.

I have been citing this example forever, and no one has been able to negate it: the colonial era missionaries that brought Christianity to Africa did not collect a dime from the local people, rather they used their own monies to build churches and schools. Indeed, they forsook their comfortable lifestyles in Europe to come and suffer in Africa just because they genuinely wanted to propagate the GOSPEL of christianity, nothing more. They were not interested in milking the poor villagers, and in fact their lifestyles were at par with those of the local peoples. To me, this is the example that anyone who chooses to God's work should follow. God's work should not be a bread and butter affair; it should be a journey of self-deprivation; not one that guarantees one a life of comfort and luxury - obtained by coercing offerings and tithes out of people who seek salvation. I imagine that Jesus does not intend that salvation should be sold like a commodity in the marketplace that most churches have become.

Nobody can fault the missionary example cited above, but we must realize that those missions were actually financed by sacrifices made by some believers as well, hence someone most continue to give for another person to hear a life changing sermon on radio.

For those who cunningly prophesy money out of other people's pocket, Romans 14:12  "So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God".
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by alldone(m): 2:41pm On Jan 07, 2011
giving is like sowing a seed and definately you will reap. So if you see it that way if u sow you reap, if the pastor is fighting for his pocket God see's him and if u have money to spend on other things that makes no difference in ur life God see's u too.

Bible says we desire u and not urs. People need to be commited to God including the pastors.

it is TRUE if you give u you will recieve. i know some pastors take it to the extreme because of their pocket and God will judge
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by foreman: 2:54pm On Jan 07, 2011
maga go always pay. shout haleluja!
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by otokx(m): 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2011
Jesus paid taxes to the government in his time and so do I? Jesus watched people drop money in the temple and so will I.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by thweraja10: 3:04pm On Jan 07, 2011
Jesus paid taxes to the government in his time and so do I? Jesus watched people drop money in the temple and so will I.

Haaaaaaaaaaa come on bro, you will watch people collecting all the blessing. It pays to give ooo.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 07, 2011
@ Poster,
There may be many things really wrong with today's church. I think we need to ask ourselves why we do what we do. Why do we wear special dresses on Sunday mornings? Why do we pay tithes and offerings? Why do we go to church? Why are we Christians? What does the book (bible) say about what we do? etc,

The church is meant to help the poor amongst them not threaten them to give what they have by placing them under a so called curse. Let me add that if the reason for paying tithes and offering is to receive multiple folds like many are told on Sundays then the motivation for such giving is greed. If you give to help the poor in the church, help the charity work the church is doing, assist the missionaries on the field, help the old widows, meet apostles' needs etc then your motivation is love.

Unfortunately most Nigerian churches do little in terms of charity and many a times the members are comfortable with it. I think the reason is because many are motivated to give based on greed and not love. So it doesn't matter whether their giving is used to pay NEPA bills or used to buy the Pastor his fourth car. They can't be bothered as long as their "multiple fold blessing" is on its way.

New testament believers are not bound by the law of tithing,just as  they are not bound by the law of circumcision. But today we have too many Christians who are trying to live by the Mosaic laws, and they would never be able to meet up because once you break one of the laws it doesn't matter how many you got right you have broken all.

If you meet a believer in Christ he/she would definitely give, not because of what he can get from God but out of love. He/she would give not just on Sunday mornings or church meetings but all the time. He/She lives by Jesus' admonition " Love your neighbour as yourself" May be those who have been deceived or being deceived as the case may be should look at how Jesus described the judgement and what matters to Him in Matthew 25: 31 - 46 and Matthew 7: 21 - 23.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by kelao: 3:09pm On Jan 07, 2011
how much offering did you put that you are comming
here to complain?

Offering is a part of worship
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by thweraja10: 3:21pm On Jan 07, 2011
how much offering did you put that you are comming
here to complain?

Offering is a part of worship

Why are you taking it personal is your dad a pastor?
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by justwonder: 3:29pm On Jan 07, 2011
i know of a man called BRO GBILE,does not give himself titles, does not call out for offerings,people donate to his ministry quietly and freely.That i like very much wink
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by zeal500: 3:30pm On Jan 07, 2011
I hate when Nigerian churches behave in a dont ask, dont tell practice
This over religiouslization of our country is become crazy
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 07, 2011
belabela:

@ Poster,
There may be many things really wrong with today's church. I think we need to ask ourselves why we do what we do. Why do we wear special dresses on Sunday mornings? Why do we pay tithes and offerings? Why do we go to church? Why are we Christians? What does the book (bible) say about what we do? etc,

The church is meant to help the poor amongst them not threaten them to give what they have by placing them under a so called curse. Let me add that if the reason for paying tithes and offering is to receive multiple folds like many are told on Sundays then the motivation for such giving is greed. If you give to help the poor in the church, help the charity work the church is doing, assist the missionaries on the field, help the old widows, meet apostles' needs etc then your motivation is love.

Unfortunately most Nigerian churches do little in terms of charity and many a times the members are comfortable with it. I think the reason is because many are motivated to give based on greed and not love. So it doesn't matter whether their giving is used to pay NEPA bills or used to buy the Pastor his fourth car. They can't be bothered as long as their "multiple fold blessing" is on its way.

New testament believers are not bound by the law of tithing,just as  they are not bound by the law of circumcision. But today we have too many Christians who are trying to live by the Mosaic laws, and they would never be able to meet up because once you break one of the laws it doesn't matter how many you got right you have broken all.

If you meet a believer in Christ he/she would definitely give, not because of what he can get from God but out of love. He/she would give not just on Sunday mornings or church meetings but all the time. He/She lives by Jesus' admonition " Love your neighbour as yourself" May be those who have been deceived or being deceived as the case may be should look at how Jesus described the judgement and what matters to Him in Matthew 25: 31 - 46 and Matthew 7: 21 - 23.

This is an excellent perspective.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by iseg007(m): 3:33pm On Jan 07, 2011
follow the bible and your heart, if you want to give then give, if you dont want to then don't, it is simple, the pastor swear or he doesnt swear na him business, i give as heart leads me not by a pastor,
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by iseg007(m): 3:35pm On Jan 07, 2011
pro01:

This is an excellent perspective.

Very good point, you spoke my mind
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ebhohon: 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2011
Guys, giving is for your uplift and not for the pastor. most pastor's giving that make them what they are and not your giving. study malachi 3:1-10. cane and abel offered sacrifice to God but He accepted that of Abel. why? because he offered a quality offering.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by lekywhite(m): 3:42pm On Jan 07, 2011
@kenny888 i don't know what you want to achieve with this topic, if you cant trust your pastor enough then get out of the system, rather than coming here to paint your pastor black all because he preached on offerings which is biblical in case you don't know and im sure you misunderstood your pastor. May God forgive you.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ogajim(m): 3:43pm On Jan 07, 2011
I for one would leave a congregation where the "Pastor" is obviously so hungry for straight cash that he's cursing those who are "tight fisted", reluctant to give as he wants/expects them to because there is no where in the Bible where it was stated that one is "cursed" for not fattening their wallets.

It is good to give (to anyone in need not just Church) but one can't give what they don't have, all those stories of increase are not valid because God would not increase you just because you gave to his "cause" and your life is less than HOLY.

True increase comes from dutifully following all of God's Word in entirety not in parts.

Shalom.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Obtain Strong Faith (six Principles) By Dr. Fred. K.c. Price / The Prayer That Repairs Your Body - Joseph Prince / Mysterious Ways Of God!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.