Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. (9692 Views)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / "Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes, Offerings And First Fruits - Do They Apply To Us As Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ogajim(m): 6:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
@JeSoul, I am a fan of Vick this time around and not really a fan of the Eagles being that they share the same division with our non performing 'skins.

I will check out your link shortly. smiley
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ogajim(m): 6:51pm On Jan 07, 2011
seyizee:

If MALACHI is not addressed to you because you think it is OLD FASHIONED and also because you felt some pastors are abusing it,then,you do not have the right to be a partaker of all the blessings and promises of GOD in both the OLD and NEW testament since they were not also addressed to you NIGERIAN,

Another guy who doesn't seem to understand what he reads in the Bible, Study the Bible for your self and pray over it then come back and tell me who the whole Malachi was speaking/talking to.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by JeSoul(f): 6:53pm On Jan 07, 2011
ogajim:

@JeSoul, I am a fan of Vick this time around and not really a fan of the Eagles being that they share the same division with our non performing 'skins.

I will check out your link shortly. smiley
Kai! Redskins fan?  grin you own don finish  grin Sorry the McNabb exp did not work out at all at all. And with Rex Grossman at the helm . . . well, lemme just close my eyes and say a prayer for you  grin

seyizee:

If MALACHI is not addressed to you because you think it is OLD FASHIONED and also because you felt some pastors are abusing it,then,you do not have the right to be a partaker of all the blessings and promises of GOD in both the OLD and NEW testament since they were not also addressed to you NIGERIAN,
Another single-digiter brandishing Malachi 3:10 as a weapon unto forced money submission.
Next please.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ogajim(m): 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2011
@JeSoul,

If only we knew while "Super bowl marching" in 1992 that it would be a very very long time before we smell it again, most of us might have kept the party going a few more months,

We have a USELESS owner and the NE Pats have the BEST owner in football hence the difference is like night and day.

These single digiters aren't fooling no one but themselves, it smacks of desperation.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Donkonyon: 7:20pm On Jan 07, 2011
Some pastors are out to milk their congregation dry,so people una need to be rational in your dealings with these pastors.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by seyizee(m): 7:28pm On Jan 07, 2011
Wisest one and the one floating in the pool of understanding,pls show me from your own version of the bible where it was written that you should obey some instructions and leave others that do not suits you, Mind you,i do not pay tithes yet, but i know the right thing.Remember the book of REVELATION which says, Destruction awaits anyone that adds or removes from the sacred book of GOD, He that has ear let him hear.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ogajim(m): 7:47pm On Jan 07, 2011
seyizee,

Malachi 1:

6A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the LORD of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?

7Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the LORD is contemptible.

8And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the LORD of hosts.

Malachi 2

1And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you.

2If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the LORD of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart.

Malachi 3

1Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the LORD, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

2But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:

3And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

You can study the rest for your self but you do get my drift cool cool cool
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by femmy2010(m): 7:58pm On Jan 07, 2011
The church use these offering to keep the church going and it is never a forceful thing.The pastors only make you see reasons why it is good to pay them.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Stealthy(m): 8:07pm On Jan 07, 2011
I've actually tried to do a bit of research on this. How many times did Jesus reference giving in the church (or temple)? And how many times did He talk about giving to the poor? He talked about giving to the poor far more than giving in the temple. But our pastors have conveniently forgotten that & they hit everyone with a few old testament verses to support their claims. It's very disappointing.

@OP: don't listen to the pastor's "curses". Just give according to what you can afford and according to your faith in God (or according to God's direct command if that happens to be the case). Don't let any pastor force you to give any more than your're willing or able to give.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by JeSoul(f): 8:07pm On Jan 07, 2011
ogajim:

@JeSoul,

If only we knew while "Super bowl marching" in 1992 that it would be a very very long time before we smell it again, most of us might have kept the party going a few more months,

We have a USELESS owner and the NE Pats have the BEST owner in football hence the difference is like night and day.
 Yup, you already know. Boston is where its at  grin we have been spoiled with Brady, Belichick and Kraft at the helm. Hope in 20yrs me too I won't be crying lol.

But you guys are in arguably the toughest NFL division . . . one can't really be upset considering u have to tussle with the Giants  angry Eagles and Cowboys. But sha lemme stop off-topicking here before someone chatises me. See u over there . . .  smiley

These single digiters aren't fooling no one but themselves, it smacks of desperation.
Its amazing how they always file out on tithing topics. It's like someone put in a tracking code to churn them out by the tens as soon as tithe is mentioned. Na wa oh.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by seyizee(m): 8:24pm On Jan 07, 2011
My man OGAJIM,
I so much love the very same MALACHI you quoted.But back to our bone of contention,i will urge you to read chapter 3 of the same MALACHI down to the end and meditate on it as JOSHUA 1 verse 1 said, The chapter 3 settles it all and also serves as a corresponding link base to the aforementioned verses you pasted,

SEYIZEE is signing out on this offering and tithe issue for good, No pastor will use his or her gimmicks to deny me of my rightful obligation to my creator irrespective of their financial undoings.DUDES,follow your heart but remember that it is not your heart that will judge you on that day,but the laid down statues which you followed to the last  letter will be among the criterion.Where there is no law,there is no sin.Mind you,human beings are govern my laws and statues from the ALL IN ALL GOD.So,obeying your mind or not counts little or nothing,
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by oluwabamis(m): 8:58pm On Jan 07, 2011
giving in church should not be done because any reasonn other than your love for God. it shod also be voluntary. read paul's views on d subject.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jan 07, 2011
iv4real:

Its crazy wat dis so called men of God do for money. U pay for deliverance, prayers. My friend got a text message to come for deliverance N1000 per demon. N5000 for strong demons.Nothin person no go see.
Kai lol, i no go die, this one na correct scope, sturborn demon, he, if you come get legion like that man for bible nko?
to brainwashed members who have been scared shitless by some pastor who looks at you and sees his/her next jeep go and read Detronuemy chapter 14, 28-29, tithes should be shared between Strangers, Widows and orphans and the Levites because in those days they were totaolly comitted to God and had no inheritance and tithing was once in 3 years. But Pastors now get inheritance pass you oh, You no get jeep pastor get 5, get 100k suits wey e no dey wear twice, yet e still wan intimidate me collect the small one wey i don hustle dey manage my life. No be me oh.
Agaba, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, na wa oh, and me dey hail catholic church oh. I dey go mass every morning and because they no dey force i dey willing give. No be that one wey pastor go dey shout, you are thieves you are army robbers, bring your money, you cant steal from Me sorry God, You will die a miserable death if you dare no pay tithe, see wahala oh
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by calaharry: 9:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
It blessed to give , You blessings increases when you give cheerfully with a willing heart in God's house but not with compulsion. Do not allow any preacher to intimidate or coarse you to give any money or property out of despiration(This is not biblical).IIcor 9v7

Remember that God does not eat physical money or properties, it only what we do with the money to promote the sanctity of human life that glorifies God.e.g God gave His only begotten son Jesus to saves mankind from perishing.Jn3V16.This is the greatest gifts cheerished by God to bless us and not money, because God is spirit, He does not eat money, He eats holy praise and He rejoices with Holy living(upholding the santity of human life).

Brothers and sisters in the house when to take a plane on trip and fly sky high you will truely know that we just like tiny apples in God's eyes and He loves us more than any material treasures.

Do not give to fake Preachers or clidestine place of worship that do not promote sanctity of human life by not caring for congregations basic needs of food,clothing,shelter, job creation, positive motivation, moral discipline, and exemplery life. Remember Jesus fed over 5000, it is not just preaching alone, you just do it.

Give correctly your tithe according to Deu chap 14 and 15, keep you vows like Jacob,according to Gen28v20-22 
THIS IS PLAIN TRUTH THAT PREACHERS NEVER REVEAL TO IGNORANT MEMBERS
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Limaoscar: 9:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
I dont like it when churches bahave like beggers. Of course there is nothing bad in giving offering but churches should stop emphasizing on it. There are a lot of things they are supposed to preach about eg repentance and holiness but now all pastors wanna ride in hummer jeep and own a private jet. Only God will forgive us all

You started well but took a huge detour. I totally agree with you that the church should not be beggarly. So there must be constant "meat" in the house of God to meet needs in the house and the "mission fields".

Pastors cannot stop emphasising on giving because giving is also a form of Worship . Our relationship with God starts with giving.

1. For God so love the world that He GAVE ,
2. Greater love hath no man than this that He GAVE

We can go on, but who says you can't preach or talk about giving and you will not be emphasising holiness or repentance. What is not right however is building  doctrines out of themes for ulterior reasons. The church is a place where we should be groomed to receive instruction for healing, deliverance, abundance, holiness, relatioship with God , relationships with people, peace of mind, joy etc, but to build an altar on one theme and stay there while other aspects of ministry is suffering is what should bother us.

I  disagree with the generalisation that "now all pastors wanna ride hummer jeep and own a private jet". How do you know this for certain?

I have said this many times before, and I feel your pain, we should be even more prayerful for our Pastors and Leaders in this dispensation than ever because the attacks are fiercest now and even us belivers are begnining to turn against our own wounded soldiers, not good! A house divided against itself cannot stand. I even question the OP's attempt  of self-righteousness bringing his man of God to grind on Nairaland. He also needs prayers like the rest of us.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by ndukwejoe(m): 10:35pm On Jan 07, 2011
i know a passage in the bible which says you should not appear unto God empty.
cheers.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by calaharry: 10:46pm On Jan 07, 2011
Limaosca you are sounding very defensive for this merchant preachers that have adulterated christianity with despirate lifestyle,espeacially in poverty surviving african nations today . What example can you see in them other than using God's name to trade AND ROBING MEMBERS OF BIBLICAL TRUTH ON LAWS OF GIVING (SEE DEU CHARPTER 14 &15). AND EVENTUALLY THEY ROBE SHOULDERS WITH UNBELIEVERS AS PROSPERITY CLASS.

Pls go straight to the truth next time and do not bit about the bush, so that, our society can change and be better. Come out of them and be ye separate by not your being diplomatic with the truth. Stand by the truth, Jesus Himself which will set you free.

IITIM3V16,WE MUST REBUKE, REPROOF AND CORRECT, STOP EXCESSIVE LIFESTYLE FUELING UNHOLINESS AMONG PREACHERS WHO ARE SECRETIVE AND AFRAID TO PUBLISH ACCOUNTS OF CHURCH FUNDS FOR ALL TO SEE, BUT QUICK TO SHOUT TITHE!!! OFFERING!!!

I BET YOU IF NIGERIA ECONOMICALLY BECOMES OK LIKE EUROPE , 95% OF THESE MERCHANT PREACHERS WILL GO BACK TO DO MULTIMILLION BUSINESS. THEY ARE very UNSTABLE BY THEIR WAYS, BY THEIR FRUIT YOU KNOW THEM.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2011
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by jpworld(m): 12:48am On Jan 08, 2011
Don't give a penny, the Bible itself is a scam. the pastors are the scammers. The Jews people fooled us and sold Christianity to us.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by tundenaija: 12:53am On Jan 08, 2011
@jpworld are you devils junior brother
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by jpworld(m): 1:02am On Jan 08, 2011
@tundenaija simply because I did not believe wat u believe, make me a devil? The Devil the Jews people told us that is in Hell Fire is created by the Jews people, Another Name for that Devil is Division.

It was because Oyibo people decide to Divide everything, that is what creates katakata in our world.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by irefunke(f): 1:03am On Jan 08, 2011
If u have, u can give and if not God knows ur heart.Givers never lack that is what I know either u are a beliver or a muslim or a pagan.No gathering where money is not needed.
If u don't give offering how will the administrative work of the church continue?Who pays NEPA,WATER AND OTHER utilities for the church?
How would orphan,widows,students,homeless,and lots more needs would be met?
May God help us.If is one man church u may think how is d church money monitored right?But if is other well established churches like d Alican,Catholic,Deeper life e.t.c there are 'monitoring team' some where who monitors the inflow and outflow of cash/money.
It irritates when money becomes issue in the house of God.If u are not satisfied with ur  pastor please leave that church so as not tooooooooooo
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by tundenaija: 1:05am On Jan 08, 2011
@jpworld so what do you believe in then ?
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 1:08am On Jan 08, 2011
Yeye Nigerians. With all the monies you folks have given God, I am quite surprised that our country is still in shambles and your prayers are still unanswered. You do not need to give money to any gods, persons, or even Jehovah. Instead, show affection to your fellow humans, adopt an homeless kid, feed the hungry, visit the sick in the hospital, and all the other selfless things Christ would have done. It is pathetic that most of you give because you want blessings, or because you were persuaded, or because you feel that you are actually helping Jehovah.  Jehovah does not need your help, but His children, however, do need help and that is where we should be concentrating our efforts.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by jpworld(m): 1:15am On Jan 08, 2011
@tundenaija I don't believe in religion, I believe in God, and the God I believe in, is not God of Division, the God of Division is the Devil, Check all Religion dey are divided, Even Christians are Divided, Catholic, Anglican, Redeem, Mountain of Fire, name them, And is all because of Money.

Have you relate with the Jews people b4? They are the most wicked people in this world. go and live in Israel if you doubt wat I am telling you.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by jpworld(m): 1:26am On Jan 08, 2011
Those years is all about Hail mary full of Grace, the lord is with you, suddenly it turns to Holy Ghost fire, Fireeeeeeeeeee, burn the devil, kill the satan, now is all about dancing galala in the church, We are just fooling ourselves.

Religion was invented to brainwashed people and gain more power, Chinese are investing there own now, in about 50-80 years time, our next generation will be grabbing a copy of Hu Jing tao book/bible as the new way of life, and Chinese language will be like English,
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Image123(m): 1:33am On Jan 08, 2011
Ah this is just ahhh. Kenny88 has come with one of his bogus stories again, and it's suddenly 'gospel truth'. Meanwhile Bible passages are passed for scams and every obi and ubi is set loose to curse and attack his/her best.
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by comely77(m): 1:37am On Jan 08, 2011
posts like this are bound to attract the self righteous, anything pastor/s do is right/lets give n give ngive fellas who cant ever think on their own. They idolise pastors at this time of grace wen the bible itself made it clear dat He will pour His spirit on ALL MEN! Stupid foolish, this aint no levitical order days and there aint no holiest of holies anywhere! Methink/convinced dat its 100 times better to give to the poor/need and live a life that preach Christ than to give a fadding to any church u not sure of and certainly not under compultion or threat, in shorr im tired of discusing this vexed issue but i bet some folks will so regret giving so much to some churches while their neighbour starve, shior
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by dasarge(m): 2:00am On Jan 08, 2011
@ omotodun! God bless you for your comment on this issue. Nigerians are naturally proud people in Nature who love to show off! The very reason why most people like to donate in Church so people will respect them even though they dont have a clean heart! I cannot remember Jesus saying anything about giving your tithes, neither did i see in the bible that people got cursed for not giving first fruit, tithes nor offerings. The last time i went to Christ embass was when my pastor in London practically cursed those of us that dont give our "first fruit" imagine a whole January salary; in london! after all the expenses of december, he said the whole january salary was for the pastor or what befell ananias will nefall us! Well, i stopped from that day and that never stopped me from rising to become a manager in my postition, because I give to the poor, i help people who cannot afford food and basic needs, i refuse to finance any pastor wanting to buy private jet to take God's message to Canada, UK, USA, Germany, France etc, when there are countries like Mali, Niger republic etc without the Gospel. In my village, there are only two churches; one is catholic and the other is Jehovah's witnesses and these are people who dont curse you for not giving your money, time and personal belongings as seed!

If i should continue here tonight, I could write a whole book on the crime taking place in our country. How can God answer our prayers with all these thieveing going on in places of worship?

One more thing, as an accountant, i know that churches are classified as Charity, but once a church(aka a charity) involves itself in any going concern like owning a school(Redeemed et al), a Bank(Christ embassy) or property and stock business(KICC) that charity becomes taxable! Nobody talks about this, and Jesus said "Give unto ceasar, what is ceasar's(Tax) and unto God what is God's(Offerings).

How can Nigeria grown when armed robbers are the people sitting in the front rows of churches because they give the largest offerings and tithes? how how how?
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by WhyAWhy(m): 2:49am On Jan 08, 2011
[size=14pt]This comments are interesting but I would just like to air my own views too
First: I don't dispute the fact that no matter what people do with pure motives, there are others that would amplify it with very dubious motives. Giving is biblical and it's applicable in all areas of human endeavours.

Second: I have never been bothered if a pastor aspires for financial increase in his own life, what's my business? The same people who crucify a pastor for looking wretched while preaching the gospel would also use mouth to pull him down if he looks good. What measure of comfort is too small or too big is left to you to decide. Either a pastor now decides to empower himself financially in a right way or in a crooked way is his own business.

Third: I believe in the total gospel and hence I pay my tithe in church. I have obeyed God, not my pastor and whatever happens to the money is no longer my concern, it's no longer my money and wherever it lands is accountable to God.

Lastly: It's important we all learn to find and know God by ourselves so that you won't be cajoled into doing this by sweet talking and utterances that are clearly against the bible. The day I see desperation in the voice of a pastor in taking money from the congregation, that's the last time I step into that church. When God calls people for real, He empowers them in various ways. Many have called themselves and are hence trying to survive by all means.[/size]
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 08, 2011
Na u carry urself go there or dey go there. What do u expect, pastor dey do another job? For some, their businesses no flourish, na dis one (churching) be the way out. Imo river drowns who it sees, abi
Re: Pressure On Offerings And Thanksgiving Offerings. by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 08, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Yeye Nigerians. With all the monies you folks have given God, I am quite surprised that our country is still in shambles and your prayers are still unanswered. You do not need to give money to any gods, persons, or even Jehovah. Instead, show affection to your fellow humans, adopt an homeless kid, feed the hungry, visit the sick in the hospital, and all the other selfless things Christ would have done. It is pathetic that most of you give because you want blessings, or because you were persuaded, or because you feel that you are actually helping Jehovah.  Jehovah does not need your help, but His children, however, do need help and that is where we should be concentrating our efforts.

The man after my heart.WORD!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If I Were An Atheist / Pastor chris: Use The Name Of Jesus With Understanding / Mysterious Ways Of God!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.