Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market (1649 Views)

Christian Middle-belt Has Been Declared Dar Al-harb - The House Of War! / Goodluck Jonathan As An Election Observer In Tanzania (Photos) / Jonathan To Lead 33-nation Election Observers In Tanzania. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Akhenaten: 10:34pm On Jan 07, 2011
Tanzania orders Chinese out of Dar es Salaam market

Chinese traders in Tanzania's main city of Dar es Salaam have been give 30 days to stop trading in a busy market.

The deputy industry minister said Chinese businessmen were allowed into the country as investors, but not as "vendors or shoe-shiners".

Lazaro Nyalandu said these jobs could[b] "be carried out by locals"[/b], Tanzania's Citizen paper quotes him as saying.

A BBC reporter says there are many foreigners trading illegally in Tanzania, especially from China.

They have opened up many small retail and wholesale shops, the BBC's Hassan Mhelela in Dar es Salaam says.

But the Chinese traders are sometimes resented for their business acumen, he says.

Mr Nyalandu made the comments at Kariakoo market, which the government wants to become an export centre for the East African nation.

He also said that Tanzania was about to do a deal with the Chinese government to ensure that goods imported from China meet international standards, Tanzania's Guardian newspaper reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12138811
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by buzugee(m): 10:53pm On Jan 07, 2011
these chinamen are ubiquitous
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by asha80(m): 10:57pm On Jan 07, 2011
buzugee:

these chinamen are ubiquitous

hehe it seems they are 'invading' everywhere grin
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by buzugee(m): 10:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
asha 80:

hehe it seems they are 'invading' everywhere grin
right ? shocked
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Ibime(m): 11:21pm On Jan 07, 2011
Reminds me of certain tribe being chased all over Nigeria because they have too much competitive advantage.

Anyway, GOOD MOVE. The spirit of Julius Nyerere is still alive. These Chinese nuccas need to go and get visas.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by ekubear1: 11:47pm On Jan 07, 2011
And if the ban doesn't cause the locals to enter those businesses? undecided

Not clear to me that this will have a positive overall impact.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Akhenaten: 12:14am On Jan 08, 2011
We need to do this to the Lebanese. No offense to any Lebanese individuals who frequent Nairaland.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by ekubear1: 12:28am On Jan 08, 2011
^-- Why? How is it a net positive to kick out highly productive people? Like, I don't see the argument for it.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Akhenaten: 12:32am On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Why? How is it a net positive to kick out highly productive people? Like, I don't see the argument for it.

Because it protects local industry. How can locals compete with foreigners who flood the market with cheap goods? It also keeps a nation's wealth within a nation. That is what India did to protect their local industries. I do not believe in a reckless laissez-faire economy. You have to protect local industry. Most nations do this except African states for some reason.

It is similar to us not subsidizing our agricultural sector and looking to other nations to feed our people.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by udezue(m): 12:44am On Jan 08, 2011
If everyone is taxed and pay their taxes then there will be no need for all these We vs You stuff going on.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by ekubear1: 12:45am On Jan 08, 2011
Well, the Chinese shoeshines there certainly aren't benefiting from imports. If Chinese are beating locals at shining shoes, then that reflects poorly on the locals, not the Chinese  undecided

Anyway, it seems implausible that all of the Chinese traders there are importers. Those who buy and sell within the country certainly shouldn't be curtailed, in my opinion (unless their documents are not in order, or something.)

I do agree that uncontrolled importation can be harmful, but this is a separate issue from banning a certain ethnic group from competing. . .
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by udezue(m): 12:49am On Jan 08, 2011
Eku Bear, I am with you 100 percent.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Akhenaten: 12:53am On Jan 08, 2011
I guess you haven't been to many African markets then.  undecided From Lome to Nairobi. The Chinese have flooded our markets with their cheap/poorly made goods. And these Chinese wholesalers who have connections from mainland China are simply destroying local economies by flooding the market.

This is a good move by Tanzania. I am glad to see this country following in the spirit of their founding father Julius Nyerere. It is time for African states to protect their local industries.

This is not about beating locals at shoe shining, because I have yet to see a Chinese person shoe shining an African shoes. I don't know where you got that analogy.  This is about Chinese retailers and wholesalers. I would even put a quota on all Chinese goods.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by ekubear1: 12:59am On Jan 08, 2011
I got the shoeshine example from the article.

Anyway, I'm fine with high import duties to prevent foreign (Chinese, in this case) goods from flooding the market.

But presumably you'll also at the same time need to invest money to make your locals more productive so they can compete and so the import duties can slowly be reduced.

Perhaps Tanzania needs to invest more in basic infrastructure or something so that a t-shirt made 1000s of miles away in China, loaded onto a large, expensive ship, etc are not cheaper than goods made locally  undecided  undecided undecided

(If you didn't get my latter point, I'm again criticizing the poor job African countries have done that a wealthier country like China is still able to flood poorer Africa with low-tech goods. . .)
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Akhenaten: 1:09am On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

I got the shoeshine example from the article.

Anyway, I'm fine with high import duties to prevent foreign (Chinese, in this case) goods from flooding the market.

But presumably you'll also at the same time need to invest money to make your locals more productive so they can compete and so the import duties can slowly be reduced.

Perhaps Tanzania needs to invest more in basic infrastructure or something so that a t-shirt made 1000s of miles away in China, loaded onto a large, expensive ship, etc are not cheaper than goods made locally  undecided  undecided undecided

(If you didn't get my latter point, I'm again criticizing the poor job African countries have done that a wealthier country like China is still able to flood poorer Africa with low-tech goods. . .)

African states need to invest in basic infrastructure. This is something that I agree with you with. But they do not need to invest money in local markets. The reason why I say this is, because in most African states, the taxes are so low, that it doesn't cost African's that much money to create a start-up company. Africa is fertile ground for entrepreneurs. But they cannot compete with their markets being the dumping ground for Chinese goods that the U.S. doesn't want.

This occurs throughout Africa. FYI, Chinese goods are much cheaper than local goods found throughout the world, because of their large manufacturing base has flooded the world with their goods.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by tpia1: 1:18am On Jan 08, 2011
No offense to any Lebanese individuals who frequent Nairaland

most of them dont identify themselves as such.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by ekubear1: 1:21am On Jan 08, 2011
This "cannot compete" excuse is a copout.

The per capita GDP of China is several times that of Tanzania. Labor is more expensive in China than Tanzania. That somehow it is still more cost effective to buy shirts imported from China suggests that something is absolutely broken in Tanzania.

Yes, put up heavy import duties to give yourself breathing room to fix the problem. But whatever is broken needs to be fixed, rather than constantly whining and complaining that you cannot compete.

As an extreme example, it would be as if farmers in Luxembourg (GDP per capita there is what, well north over $50k?) were able to beat the farmers in my village in Ekiti (GDP per capita probably $800-1K or so) at producing yam targeted for the Ekiti market. If something like that happened, it would suggest gross incompetence on the part of my village. Not that the Luxembourg farmers are some sort of bullies.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Mobinga: 1:25am On Jan 08, 2011
That's their business. We have ours
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Akhenaten: 1:35am On Jan 08, 2011
It is not a copout to say they cannot compete with those cheaper goods. It is purely economics. Africans will choose the vendor that has the lower prices. Chinese vendors' goods are much more cheaper than African goods locally made.

You cannot go by the per capita GDP of China to discuss how their goods flood local African markets. They are also an industrializing power, in which they have the manufacturing capabilities of producing a lot of goods cheaper than the African manufacturing base. You just used a red herring my brother.

And the Tanzanian government is trying to fix the problem. By kicking out the Chinese vendors who to respect local laws, and they are also pressuring the Chinese government as well with a new trade deal. This is the right move.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 08, 2011
you make the product, you come in to the country and sell whole sale, and you still do retail in the local market, all in another person's country hmmmm. how in the world do you want the local business to compete? the inhabitants of the country are turned into onlookers, where else can this happen if not africa, and you still have dumb fools applauding and approving it.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 08, 2011
for ur information it,s already happening in nigeria, where u have many chinese flooding the market with their cheap products and doing retail at the same time, while their embassy deny the nigerian business men visa from bringing the same products. pathetic!
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by obotan(m): 1:44pm On Jan 08, 2011
If everyone is taxed and pay their taxes then there will be no need for all these We vs You stuff going on.

Well spoken
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by obotan(m): 1:49pm On Jan 08, 2011
for your information it,s already happening in nigeria, where u have many chinese flooding the market with their cheap products and doing retail at the same time, while their embassy deny the nigerian business men visa from bringing the same products. pathetic!

Not only in Nigeria, but the chinese are seizing the market in the West also. The United states is currently indebted and  borrowed billions of dollars from china.
Re: Tanzania Orders Chinese Out Of Dar Es Salaam Market by ekubear1: 1:53pm On Jan 08, 2011
Well, that they'll flood the American markets makes sense, since they can produce things at lower prices than Americans can (compare minimum wage in the US to the average income of a Chinese factory worker.)

But that they can also dominate the markets of countries with lower incomes (especially African countries) suggests poor management (or outright incompetence) on the part of the African countries.

(1) (Reply)

"CNN's Jonathan Mann To Co-anchor Nigeria's Presidential Debate. For Or Against / Why Did Pastor Tunde Bakare Venture Into Politics? / Segun Adeniyi, The Late Confession Of Hidden Truth About Late President Ya’adua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.