Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator (48364 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Appointed WTO Director-General, Term Starts 1st March 2021 / Pauline Tallen Appoints Daughter, Violet Osunde, As Special Assistant / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Appointed To Board Of Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Kwanza: 8:07am On Apr 25, 2020
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, named Special Envoy for WHO’s Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator.

Nigeria’s former finance minister, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was named by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as its Special Envoy for the newly inaugurated Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that she is to serve alongside British business executive, Sir Andrew Witty in the same capacity, to mobilise international commitment to the initiative.

Director-General of the organisation, Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus, made the announcement during the launch of the ACT Accelerator — via webinar from Geneva.

“I would especially like to thank Sir Andrew Witty and Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala for agreeing to act as Special Envoys for the ACT Accelerator,” Ghebreyesus said in his remarks.

The initiative is an international collaboration aimed at accelerating the development, production, and equitable distribution of COVID-18 drugs, tests kits, and vaccines around the world.

This is the fourth international assignment given to Okonjo-Iweala in less than two months.

On March 7, President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa appointed her a member of the country’s Economic Advisory Council, which comprises indigenous and international economic experts.

The council advises the president and government on the development and implementation of economic policies toward advancing inclusive growth.

A month later on April 10, the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Kristalina Georgieva, named Okonjo-Iweala a member of the fund’s External Advisory Group.

The group comprises prominent individuals from around the world, who will serve as Georgieva’s special advisers.

Okonjo-Iweala is one of the four Special Envoys the African Union (AU) appointed on April 12 to mobilise international support for its efforts toward addressing the coronavirus pandemic.

The AU special envoys are charged with soliciting the support of the G20, the European Union and other international financial institutions for the organisation’s response.

Okonjo-Iweala is an internationally respected economist and development expert, who has served as Managing Director of the World Bank, among other assignments.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2020/04/25/covid-19-okonjo-iweala-gets-whos-appointment/amp/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

159 Likes 13 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Congratulations

246 Likes 12 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Smithkafors(m): 8:11am On Apr 25, 2020
My mentor..... congrats.

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by mrvitalis(m): 8:16am On Apr 25, 2020
This is what this woman have up to serve as Minister for 4 years and some mofos didn't appreciate it

250 Likes 17 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by youngestuk(m): 8:18am On Apr 25, 2020
Give this woman the presidency, but some people will never allow that. They would prefer, Gen buhari, atiku, tinubu, oshiomole and co. Nigeria nah dead country full of biased masses. Smh

455 Likes 34 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by fergie001: 8:19am On Apr 25, 2020
Congrats......but charity begins at home, Ma.

Try bring some developments home with your influence kwanu, na effigy we get as Govt.....na beg we dey beg.

tonquendo4u(m):
She wiped our foreign debts with her influence. Now we voted in the same people that put us in debt and castigated
She wiped our foreign debts with her influence. Now we voted in the same people that put us in debt and castigated her. We never appreciated. Now you want her to come and waste her life again. Leave the woman alone. Nigerians are the ones wey no get sense

Babaken(m):
which charity will your president and his gang's recognize one if them see it.

Government I mean is not just Federal. Even her fiercest critics know she is class but if you wait for Govt (State or Federal), you are on your own.
I share the same community with her, erosion was almost chasing us out some years ago. She don't need to spend but her influence can help.
Everything must not be about Federal, the local community is important too.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by agwom(m): 8:19am On Apr 25, 2020
congratulations to mama Ngo

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by AroOkigbo(m): 8:23am On Apr 25, 2020
Back home she's a woman and of the 5% extraction. We have a long way to go as a nation.
Congratulations, our own NOI! We love you, baby!
Continue to tower!!

159 Likes 6 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Guide777(m): 8:28am On Apr 25, 2020
fergie001:
Congrats......but charity begins at home, Ma.

Try bring some developments home with your influence kwanu, na effigy we get as Govt.....na beg we dey beg.
I don't think some Nairalanders were born when she secured debt cancellation for the country.

263 Likes 14 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 25, 2020
Congrats to her
EVEN FACE MASK AND HAND SANITIZER NOR IMAGINE SAY DEM GO FIT BLOW ONE DAY.
NEVER GIVE UP IN LIFE

12 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by fergie001: 8:29am On Apr 25, 2020
Guide777:

I don't think some Nairalanders were born when she secured debt cancellation for the country.
I don't think some Nairalanders know the difference between a Community and a Country.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by kingjoo: 8:34am On Apr 25, 2020
As far as Nigeria is concern, she is the GOAT in the women category

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Racoon(m): 8:58am On Apr 25, 2020
NOI is just a woman in her own class just like Former Agric Minister-Akinwunmi Adeshina.The OBJ/Jonathan govt really paraded some of the best minds Nigeria ever had who are still shining globally till today.

Fast forward to today.The present finance minister is a horrible disaster with no touch of financial prudence but just helping govt to a chronic debt pillage.Meanwhile, I still ask-where the hell is Madam Kemi Adeosun(the NYSC certificate forger)?

173 Likes 12 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by dangermouse(m): 9:02am On Apr 25, 2020
WHO God has blessed, no man dare not do otherwise! keep soaring baby...the true patriots of nigeria love you!

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by BruncleZuma: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
To infinity and beyond.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by ayomidays: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
ok
Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by datola: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
ok
Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by SWORD419(m): 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
Congrats, Nigerian politians sha, they act like kleptomaniacs when given local posts but become workaholic when given international posts

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by etebefia: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
Aunty Ngooo, just dash me one of those your appointments and my life will never be the same again.

14 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by morikee: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
People saying Nigeria not testing enough forgot that we are doing different test which is molecular and involve the collection of swabs anyways we aren't doing rapid testing.

Anyways congrats Aunty NOI

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by OgbanjeProphet: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
A stone rejected by Nigeria, has become the head of the world's cornerstone!

Mama, keep doing us proud Biko!

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Macphenson: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
I have learnt from this woman that the best way to deal with haters is to pepper them with more success.

This woman keeps making waves globally, yet back home in her country, one dullard sees her as a 5%.

I look forward to day in this country where I would see the likes of Akinwumi, Ngozi, Soludo and people in their class as presidential candidates.

Not presenting one selfish greedy Chicago drug baron for us.

Ngozi keep soaring high, we are proud of you.

By the way, where is Kemi Adeosun, the certificate forger?

110 Likes 6 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Nobody: 11:09am On Apr 25, 2020
I love this woman ehn...

My Role model

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by StarUp: 11:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Nice one Madam Ngo...

32 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Hemanwel(m): 11:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Please, I have a question oh - a harmless one!

Does Nigeria currently have a finance minister?

BTW:

Shine on Adanne! Who God has blessed, no quota system can rubbish!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by anonymous1759(m): 11:10am On Apr 25, 2020
youngestuk:
Give this woman the presidency, but some people will never allow that. They would prefer, Gen buhari, atiku, tinubu, oshiomole and co. Nigeria nah dead country full of biased masses. Smh

You think politics is 1+1 abi? The kind of Leader we need in Nigeria at the moment is someone like Hitler, putin, Gaddafi, kim etc who will shut all the cabals , cleanse the system of corruption with their strong personality. Okonja is intelligent no doubt but she can't rule over the strong men in Nigeria her effort will be frustrated.
Being in leader is beyond intelligence and good heart the most important is Political will G. E. J lacked it I thought PMB will be stronger but he was defeated and corruption is still there.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Hoodbilonia: 11:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Corruption.
U wont escape Gods wrath woman
Wicked thief of a woman who supervised looted abacha funds wired to dansuki.
She should be in jail by now

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Reward for balkanizing her country's economy.

Before you start quoting me stupidly, go and read "The Economic Hitman".

10 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By WHO As Special Envoy For ACT Accelerator by adecz: 11:10am On Apr 25, 2020
grin grin

Credit where credit is due.

Nice one.

The surprising thing is that, you
never ever see northerners achieving
anything or gaining any recognition in international scene, whether education,
business, industry, military sports etc.

Any arboki you see on the international
stage was smuggled their, courtesy of
the nepotism & quota system of the
current government. They cannot survive without government.

Dangote made ( & still making) all his money by
shortchanging & sabotaging the
government & people of Nigeria.

Northern power is only in Nigeria,
where merit is not recognized &
their whole yanga is based on parasiting
& living on the oil from Niger Delta.

Anywhere you see a Nigerian abroad
who has gotten international recognition, you can be 1OO% sure hey are not from the north.

Once you talk of north, you just
remember herdsmen, Boko, disease,
illiteracy, religious fanatics, burning of
educational institutions, intolerance,
underage marriage, ignorance, polio,
beggars, shoeshiners & maigadi!!

We celebrate you, daughter of
the fertile & blessed Nigér Delta!!

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Olajide Ayeni, A Nigerian Working As A Policeman In US (Photos) / Police Disperse Yoruba Nation Agitators In Lagos With Gunshots / Ben Murray-Bruce's Posts About Anthony Joshua. Nigerians Blast Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.