Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,437 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Americans Who Speak Yoruba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Americans Who Speak Yoruba (3045 Views)

Lagos APGA Candidate Asked To Speak Yoruba.(Video) / Buhari To Speak Wednesday Over His Qualification For Election / Lagos Hawker: I Am Running Because I Could not Speak Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Americans Who Speak Yoruba by ekubear1: 5:57pm On Jan 09, 2011
It seems like a page out of a fiction novel to see five white American youths conversing in fluent Yoruba. But this is not fiction, as these Americans currently reside in the University of Ibadan studying one of the indigenous Nigerian languages, Yoruba. Tobiloba Fademi reports

When SUNDAY PUNCH called to arrange an interview with one of the foreign students, Cara, it was surprising when she answered on the other end in almost accent-less Yoruba: Mo ni ipade ni aago mejila, sugbon aago meji dara (I have a meeting by 12 noon, but 2 ‘O‘ clock is okay).

On getting to the interview venue where the Americans were waiting, the reporter greeted them in the English Language, but they replied in Yoruba, saying they were fine and ready for the interview. They introduced themselves in their Yoruba names: Abike, Kolawole, Kayode, Titilayo and Akinwumi, which they individually picked from a list given to them of Yoruba names and their meanings before they embarked on their journey to Nigeria.

They said they chose to study Yoruba, a language that some have predicted might be extinct by the next century. Their school, the University of Wisconsin, Madison, in the United States, has a special program for Yoruba which the students started taking in their first year. The program, they explained, is tailored for first year, first semester students only. This, they said, was because Yoruba was an interesting and rich language.

According to Cara, choosing Yoruba out of all the languages available for study in her school was for many reasons. For instance, when she was in the junior high school, she travelled to Angola with an NGO whose mission was to build schools and provide teacher training to rural villages. Travelling around Angola changed her world view and implanted in her a desire to return to Africa one day. While there, she also noticed she had a flair for languages when she picked up the local language spoken in Angola easily. Some years later, when she was picking courses in her first year in the university, she picked Yoruba language and culture class, knowing she would do something with the skills in future.

As for Kevin Barry, ”I chose to study Yoruba because it was available at my university in America (University of Wisconsin, Madison) and it sounded interesting. I am also very interested in music, particularly drums and percussion, and had studied a small bit of Yoruba music in the Diaspora (in Cuban and Brazilian music). I have also always wanted to come to Africa. I love learning about new people and cultures and I believe language can break down any barrier.”

They knew that to learn the language properly, they would have to leave the classroom for the environment where the language is being spoken by native speakers. They said that their proficiency in the Yoruba Language had since improved.

What was their preconceived notion about Africa and Nigeria in particular, we asked. According to Kegan O‘Neil (self named Kolawole) who had visited Northern African country of Morocco, public opinion about Africa in many places is, unfortunately, very negative; but he thinks Nigeria is such an interesting country with a huge economy.

The students had three Nigerian teachers who visited the United States of America occasionally to lecture them. For O‘Neil, there are some culturally shocking things that can be difficult, like adapting to another culture, compared to the American culture which he described as being more individualistic and quieter.

”It wouldn‘t have been easy if I wasn‘t living in the University of Ibadan. I really enjoy serenity, but whenever I step out of the gate, people stare at me endlessly and everything can be really rowdy.”

For Lauren, coming to Nigeria was not her first time out of the United States, but it‘s her first to Africa and although she didn‘t have a preconceived impression about Africa or Nigeria, she was warned about coming to Nigeria. However, she said, she believed that her team had been very fortunate as they have had good Nigerian teachers who had taught them good things about Nigerians and their culture.

She also said they initially had problems with their home institution which did not want them to visit Nigeria for various reasons, one of which was security problem. But they ultimately listened to their Nigerian lecturers and knew that it‘s not everything you listen to in the news that is accurate.

After a series of vaccinations, which included the ones for malaria, polio, yellow fever, tuberculosis, etc., they embarked on their journey to Nigeria in September 2009 to enable them to learn better a language they have been studying. Their program is being sponsored by the United States Government via an educational grant.

Fixed into different adoptive or host families, they have settled into the Nigerian system and one would not have been able to tell the difference between them and Nigerian youths if not for their skin colour. They each said that their host families were perfect for them and that they rather fit into the. The host families were picked for them after they had each completed a questionnaire about their personalities to determine where they would fit in best.

According to Kelly Moses, ”They did a good job, as each host family really fits each person.” Lauren added, ”Yeah, they did a good job; and I think all of us love our host families. I have five older sisters and they are grown and out of the house; so, right now, I am an only child.”

”Now that you have stayed in Nigeria for over a year, what will you say about the country and the bad publicity it‘s been receiving in the Western press,” SUNDAY PUNCH asked. Kegan, who has been to many countries, said most people they had met were good, except for a few bad ones who give the country a bad name.

When asked if they had developed romantic relationships with Nigerians, Lauren said she had a boyfriend back in the States; Kelly said he was open to possibilities. Kegan said the same, Caroline said she ”is taken” and Kevin said he was available.

When asked if anything had shocked them culturally about Nigeria, Kelly Moses said it was the power supply system. ”The fact that electricity isn‘t constant and can be seized at the whims of some people is not something we are used to,” he said. For O‘Neil, ”Nigeria is difficult for a vegetarian that I am.” He said he depended mostly on foreign foods. He also said that amala and obe ila (okro soup) is one of his favorite meals. For Lauren, she loves amala and abula, which her adoptive mother prepares for her. For 22-year-old Barry who goes by the name Kayode, ”Nigerian youths have a higher moral code, though there are a lot of similarities between youths in Nigeria and America, but gender rules are different in Nigeria than in U.S.”

Kevin said he was surprised that Nigerians ”don‘t seem to embrace their culture very much. If I speak Yoruba, they laugh at me and they say speak English and I ask them why.” He continues: ”I think a lot of youths have their eyes set on the western culture and they want to go over there and they want to trade in their own culture.”

Some of the students expressed the desire to return to Nigeria after their program, while Lauren, Kegan and Kelly said they have no definite plans to come back immediately. As for Cara, she thinks that she might take time to fit in back with the American culture; while Kevin said it was compulsory for him to come back ”because I have made some really good friends in Nigeria and I‘m available.

“Mo fe omoge to re‘wa, to tun gbon” (I want a beautiful girl who is mature) he said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201101090353865
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Odunnu: 6:04pm On Jan 09, 2011
Aint this awesome?
Pretty soon they'l que up to beg as in beg for Nigerian citizenship!
Wow!
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 09, 2011
Ignoring the [b]emphasis [/b]in your post. . . . but why would anyone in his/her right mind want to [b]beg [/b]for a Nigerian citizenship?

@thread
Doesnt surprise me. . . kweell tho
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Nektar(f): 6:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
Good bt they might use it against us since yoruba language is a widely spoken language,i suspect a spy on us later. Dnt trust Americans in matters like this.
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Odunnu: 6:45pm On Jan 09, 2011
Stay positive. Wish Nigeria well, Ileke.
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Odunnu: 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
Stay positive. Wish Nigeria well, Ileke.
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by ikeyman00(m): 7:12pm On Jan 09, 2011
@@@

tribal f1 gator

funny ehh no big deal speaking oyibo

these people with trait hahha
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by semid4lyfe(m): 8:01pm On Jan 09, 2011

Kevin said he was surprised that Nigerians ”don‘t seem to embrace their culture very much. If I speak Yoruba, they laugh at me and they say speak English and I ask them why.” He continues: ”I think a lot of youths have their eyes set on the western culture and they want to go over there and they want to trade in their own culture.”

WRONG. . .they probably laugh at him cos his yoruba is ''effed up''

When asked if they had developed romantic relationships with Nigerians, Lauren said she had a boyfriend back in the States; Kelly said he was open to possibilities. Kegan said the same, Caroline said she ”is taken” and Kevin said he was available.

How long have they been in Nigeria? I'm surprised Kelly, Kegan and Kevin do not have Naija GF's by now abi babes nor dey UI ni? shocked
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by DrKnow1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 09, 2011
So what's the big deal? anybody can speak any language if you learn it. If a Yoruba man can speak chinese, why can't Americans speak Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by TippyTop(m): 9:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
I maybe wrong but I can't understand why someone would want to learn Yoruba rather than the rich and colourful "Hausa" language.

The only language most Caucasian want to learn used to be Swahili. Kudos to these people but its not time to beat the chest and say most white people want to learn an African language.
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by blacksta(m): 9:41pm On Jan 09, 2011
ki ni big deal ? - abeg you people should get a life.
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by fstranger1: 4:22am On Jan 10, 2011
We dont want them speaking our language

Let them go back to their country.

Of course, this is ordinary. I see FBI written all over it!
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by tpia6: 8:07am On Jan 10, 2011
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by bkbabe97y(m): 1:42pm On Jan 10, 2011
They shoulda tried learning Ibo. . . . Then the U.S govt woulda had to fly them back to home to perform tongue surgery----cause they woulda bitten it off trying to speak that Gorilla tone!

Thats if Osisikanwu and his crew aint kidnap them first!

1 Like

Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by dempeople(m): 3:22pm On Jan 10, 2011
Whats the big deal in a few white Americans speaking a language such as Yoruba? Why is this all over the news that a few white Americans speak the language? Does anyone blink an eye that Nigerians speak English? This smacks of inferiority complex on our own part that we now find it "surprising and exciting" that they speak Yoruba. Guys chill.

1 Like

Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by ZITRAN: 1:23pm On Apr 21, 2015
Nektar:
Good bt they might use it against us since yoruba language is a widely spoken language,i suspect a spy on us later. Dnt trust Americans in matters like this.
future CIA agents
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by testarossa: 2:28pm On Apr 21, 2015
Interesting, and some Nigerians be forming British phoné, if I hear
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 2:35pm On Apr 21, 2015
Yoruba - The Language of the Gods.
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Buonsenso: 2:44pm On Apr 21, 2015
dempeople:
Whats the big deal in a few white Americans speaking a language such as Yoruba? Why is this all over the news that a few white Americans speak the language? Does anyone blink an eye that Nigerians speak English? This smacks of inferiority complex on our own part that we now find it "surprising and exciting" that they speak Yoruba. Guys chill.
Absolutely

1 Like

Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 21, 2015
dempeople:
Omo nna pele
Re: Americans Who Speak Yoruba by sinkhole: 3:58pm On Apr 21, 2015
Zoharariel:
Yoruba - The Language of the Gods.
Those Europeans and Americans learn all Nigerian major languages like their lives depend on it!

(1) (Reply)

21-year Old Nigerian Boy Who Poses As A Female Prostitute / USA To Help Ghana Battle Ebola Disease / Sokoto APC Governorship Aspirant Defects To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.