Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,190 members, 7,829,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? - Pets (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? (110122 Views)

My Net Caught This Beautiful Kingfisher At My Pond Today (Photo) / We Caught This Monitor Lizard And I Am Presently Keeping It As A Pet / A Mysterious Tortoise Appeared In Our Backyard Today. Advise Needed! (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by naturefellow(m): 3:56pm On May 01, 2020
GhostPhoenix:
Please!!! Most species of turtles are endangered. You can make a difference by releasing this young animal back into the water. Please support conservation... You can research more about the status of turtles...Thanks

God bless you for this!
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by nkezecheckport: 3:59pm On May 01, 2020
Its called leather back turtle
Check it on google
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by wiseone28: 4:01pm On May 01, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Shy animal like Buhari
I will report you to lie muhammad grin

Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by buzorcharles(m): 4:08pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:
As a result of this lockdown, boredom became too much and I went fishing in a nearby water behind my building here in ago, Lagos State.

Fortunately I caught this little, innocent and shy animal.

It's my new pet

Which side for ago
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Alexpetra: 4:10pm On May 01, 2020
ifex370:
You can train him to become a ninja too
hahahahah ...guy why
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by CaseSensitive(m): 4:18pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:
As a result of this lockdown, boredom became too much and I went fishing in a nearby water behind my building here in ago, Lagos State.

It's my new pet

Adolescent black marsh turtle this one. Yes they're very shy and won't cost a lot to maintain, they'll eat insects, worms, and plants. Probably won't grow any bigger than that. Thank goodness you're keeping it as a pet, do never attempt to land the guy in your pot for two important reasons

1. You might suffer liver or brain damage due to high level of mercury in their tissue.
2. These guys are endangered and vulnerable, even in Southeast Asia where they are usually found, which means this guy must have travelled from a different continent.

4 Likes

Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Orpe7(m): 4:19pm On May 01, 2020
Its definitely not FOOD
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by ukahrawah: 4:19pm On May 01, 2020
Better release it. Agbaya!
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by LiveLifeHub(m): 4:21pm On May 01, 2020
That is a turtle though, but the issue now is can you really keep it as a pet? can you fend and care for it? do you know its diet, esp for young ones like this? Cos it will be so painful if it die of hunger or poor care.

So will advice you to do more research on how to keep a turtle as pet or better still return it to the wild. I know you are like me who will wanna keep it as a pet so endeavour to keep it well.

1 Like

Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by PeacenLove2: 4:22pm On May 01, 2020
etrange:

Dear OP,

I am glad you don't plan to kill the poor animal you caught on the wild. I share your love for animals. They are just amazing and each is very important in our ecosystem. And that's why we need to preserve them and not imprison them in the name of pets.

It's extremely unfair to keep an animal you don't understand. You might have good intentions but you'll end up hurting the poor thing both emotionally and physically. For example, you kept it in a bright coloured bucket meanwhile, the animal prefers an environment that blends with it's dark colour. You'll restrict its movement and keep it lonely (it's a wild animal so you, a human, don't count as a companion). It is constantly in shock/fear. These will only stress the poor thing. Most wild animals basically just have eating and mating as their sole endeavour; even if you provide this one with food, are you going to mate with it? By keeping this animal, you are obliterating the possibility of it mating and procreating with others thus impacting negatively on its already dwindling population.

Keeping wild animals in captivity for our own amusement (though we tactfully use the expression 'as pet') is, by all indications, very selfish and inconsiderate.

I, therefore, beseech you to kindly reconsider and take the poor thing back to it's natural habitat. Going by the little I can perceive of your personality, I am very confident you'll hearken to my plea and so would like to thank you in advance.

Warm Regards.
Etrange

The ting wey pain me be say, e no give the innocent creature social distancing. E don touch am. Make e never go give am corona virus na. The kain Waka wey the animal Waka sef. Op, na wa 4 u o. grin
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Bash512: 4:25pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:
it's too innocent to be eaten
In case u change ur mind.
Very smart animal it'll most likely know when you want to make pepper soup out of it. When it does, it'll refuse to come out of its shell.
WHAT TO DO.
Get a candle. Light it on its tail, that way it'll be force to bring forth its head for slaughter.

Don't mention.
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by mordred44: 4:29pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:
hot water is boiling already
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Stedakudz: 4:31pm On May 01, 2020
no ooo it's neither a turtle nor a tortoise,it's a snake,knock its back you'd see it's tail
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by CaseSensitive(m): 4:31pm On May 01, 2020
nkezecheckport:
Its called leather back turtle
Check it on google

Leather back turtle don't have the same plastron as a black marsh turtle, if you look at its belly, you'll see those dye-like pattern on it's coastal scutes. Leather back turtle's coastal scute is either white or yellow depending on age and habitat, and also they don't have those kind of dye-like patterns like a black marsh turtle. So this turtle definitely is a black marsh turtle.

1 Like

Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by adisabarber(m): 4:32pm On May 01, 2020
awoo47:
re u being sarcastic??
u can browse it if u doubt... although scientifically, most ppl already confuse all togeda

You told me something I did not know, I said thanks. Were you expecting me to insult you for correcting me?
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Dollabiz: 4:33pm On May 01, 2020
naijaschoolguru:

Yes of course, it's an intelligent question. Because even you don't know the difference between Tortoise and Turtle. So therefore, paddle your canoe and get ready to learn.

Or kid , teach us we adults don’t fail to learn only kids learn to fail
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Vulcanheph(m): 4:34pm On May 01, 2020
ifex370:
Yeah.....and name him Botticelli
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by olawale1516(m): 4:36pm On May 01, 2020
It half cast.... Both
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Jeffy1206(m): 4:45pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:
I hope it won't have a bad side to his innocency
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by samsung007(m): 4:46pm On May 01, 2020
las las na you go still release am.
why bothering it in the first place?
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Francejaik(m): 4:47pm On May 01, 2020
A lion
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by thegloor: 4:48pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:

Let it go
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Money2000: 4:52pm On May 01, 2020
pezeji:

It's my new pet

Don’t use your own hands to carry mami witch to your house o
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Jaqenhghar: 4:58pm On May 01, 2020
ifex370:
LOL. He'd have to be a rat to do that grin
grin grin
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by etrange: 4:59pm On May 01, 2020
PeacenLove2:

The ting wey pain me be say, e no give the innocent creature social distancing. E don touch am. Make e never go give am corona virus na. The kain Waka wey the animal Waka sef. Op, na wa 4 u o. grin

grin grin grin
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by gibsonwales(m): 5:01pm On May 01, 2020
Your village people just arrived �
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by MeeLan: 5:03pm On May 01, 2020
Its a turtle. But stop touching these water animals o. Covid 29 is sure real.
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by adecz: 5:04pm On May 01, 2020
A black octopus!! grin grin grin grin
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by UndauntedYOCA(f): 5:13pm On May 01, 2020
It's a turtle. Fortunately, you can train it to be a ninja turtle (as others might have suggested). Now this is a dry joke, a very dry one at that.
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by Prinzerique: 5:19pm On May 01, 2020
I keep wondering why senseless post like killed snake, picked tortoise or turtle, killed rat etc make front page news. coolI keep wondering why senseless post like killed snake, picked tortoise or turtle, killed rat etc make front page news.
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by MadeMan01(m): 5:30pm On May 01, 2020
naijaschoolguru:

Oga, you are confused, you said he should kept it in a moist and wet soil, yet it's a Tortoise to you, how come?
That thing there is a Turtle, all Tortoises are Turtles but not all Turtles are Tortoises.

Tortoise don't do well in dry climate. That's why he found it near water side. Where the soil is cooler and vegetation grows.
It is a tortoise
Re: I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? by micfoley: 5:38pm On May 01, 2020
This thing dey sweet ehn.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! / Idemili Python Visited My Site, This Year Will Be Great (Photos) / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.