Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State (4840 Views)

Photos: Midnight Voting In Bayelsa (#bayelsadecides). / INEC Extends Voting In 300 Polling Units Out 150,000 / Senator Ndume Broke Down In Tears After Voting In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Ibime(m): 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2011
@ FSstranger,

Do you expect in this day and age that anyone who shows any kind of potential in academics would still be illiterate?

I know the ones breaking kola nut in my village and they are the ones who simply refused to go to school. All those who went to school are now in Port Harcourt.

There is no village in Okrika at least where a bright student would not finish secondary school at the very minimum.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 3:00pm On Jan 10, 2011
^^^^

Dont be too quick to come to conclusion.

You dont have all the facts about any one's life.

My point is that they are bona fide members of the Nigerian society and as such should be allowed to participate as much as possible, literate or not!
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 10, 2011
Ibime:

@ FSstranger,

Do you expect in this day and age that anyone who shows any kind of potential in academics would still be illiterate?

I know the ones breaking kola nut in my village and they are the ones who simply refused to go to school. All those who went to school are now in Port Harcourt.

There is no village in Okrika at least where a bright student would not finish secondary school at the very minimum.
Ask him why he decided to go to school ?
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2011
^^^^

I was forced

Left to me, I would not have gone to school

I dont see the benefit!
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

^^^^

I was forced

I dont see the benefit!
maybe you should be grateful to that person that forced you cuz you would have end up as an okada rider for a start. grin grin grin
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 3:12pm On Jan 10, 2011
~Bluetooth:

maybe you should be grateful to that person that forced you cuz y[b]ou would have end up as an okada rider for a start. [/b]grin grin grin

I dont see anything wrong in being an okada rider

Work is work

Any work is good work. Ole ati ole lobomo je grin
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

I dont see anything wrong in being an okada rider

Work is work

Any work is good work. Ole ati ole lobomo je grin
ole ati ole lobomoje sugbon o le se ise okada abi ?
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 3:24pm On Jan 10, 2011
Absolutely!

Any work is great work, including Okada work!
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

Absolutely!

Any work is great work, including Okada work!
and you can do it ? yes or no ?
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 3:33pm On Jan 10, 2011
yes
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

yes
then you are fortunate to have been educated then.dupe lowo ori e tongue
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 10, 2011
fstranger1:

^^^^

I was forced

I dont see the benefit!

this from the 'i am mensa, bow to my humongous intellect spammer' cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 3:53pm On Jan 10, 2011
oyb:

this from the 'i am mensa, bow to my humongous intellect spammer' cheesy cheesy cheesy

I think you are confusing me with SEFAGO.!
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by calddon(m): 3:55pm On Jan 10, 2011
Nigeria and their studied rigging strategies, the initiators of this democracy we are now suffering from don't they allow the illiterates to vote.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Kilode1: 3:59pm On Jan 10, 2011
Great. . . I guess after adopting every American fad we can find, from dumb reality TV shows to Cheeseburgers, It will not hurt to add some discontinued Jim Crow laws to our collection.

I hope they will add a grandfather clause in there to exempt loyal Eleweomo-like illiterates.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by oluagness(m): 4:08pm On Jan 10, 2011
They should not have been nominated
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by ekubear1: 4:28pm On Jan 10, 2011
There is no justification whatsoever for suggesting that an illiterate should be banned from voting. Being able to read and write English is nice, but certainly shouldn't be a prerequisite for participation in democracy. Voting rights should only be taken away for serious crimes.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by ekubear1: 4:30pm On Jan 10, 2011
@fstranger: Thank whoever forced you, then grin grin grin

Moving up from an okada driver to medical doctor is quite a step up, in terms of career paths  wink
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by member479760: 6:18pm On Jan 10, 2011
We still don't get it. OYO/MALI empire did not rule with english language. common sense is what we need.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 10, 2011
nakedall:

We still don't get it. OYO/MALI empire did not rule with english language. common sense is what we need.
it's not about english language but a formal knowledge that blends with the contemporary period.

btw,those empires are almost extinct today because of lack of such knowledge.

if i may ask,do russians,chinese,french and germans speak english language ?
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by seyibrown(f): 1:45am On Jan 11, 2011
@ OP

Ojoro of the highest order!  shocked  angry Do 'illiterates' get a membership fee waiver? Literacy is not a guarantee common sense or morals ke!
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by aloyemeka1: 2:48am On Jan 11, 2011
Since when did voting become rocket science?. Disallowing illiterates from voting is as good as robbing them their civic rights.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Jenifa1: 4:32am On Jan 11, 2011
Nigeria is not a democracy. period.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Tunmi(f): 9:27pm On Jan 11, 2011
First of all, this is about delegates, PDP delegates to be exact. It is not every Tom, Dick and Harry in Ondo. Only PDP delegates. Delegate-a representative, as in a political convention. The question should be "Does PDP have any educational requirement to become a member of the party?" If they had such a requirement in place, there would be no need to weed out the illiterates. This, in fact, is an embarrassment to PDP; that a political party has members that are not literate. It seems that they are rebranding the party.

To whomever suggested a pool of Sarah Palins in Nigeria, it shows just ignorant you are of politics in the United States. You cannot get anywhere in politics without a college education. Even Sarah Palin went to college, whether she finished is another matter entirely. Every single political party(Tea Party not included) and politician has attended college. It is political suicide not to, especially if you are as absurd as Palin. Unless, of course, you do miraculous work. Even then, you would have to get a higher institution certification in some area. And Sarah Palin is a joke in the US and abroad, any intelligent and impartial person will tel you that. She is not as embarrassing as Nigeria politicians in what she says.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by tpia6: 11:04pm On Jan 11, 2011
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by okooyinbo(m): 1:58pm On Jan 12, 2011
Wahala wa o! Ti o ba je bayi ni opolopo awon odo Naijiria se ng ronu wipe eniti ko ba le kaa abi so Geesi ko ni eto lati dibo, dajudaju, Naijiria ko nibi i lo. Kini itunmo "demokiresi" ti won ng pariwo yi gan paapaa? Ijoba awarawa fun awarawa lati owo awarawa. Won ko ni ijoba awon ti o le so Geesi fun awon ti o le so Geesi ati lati owo awon ti o le fi Geesi dara.

For those "illiterates" who can not read and understand my langugage: Democrazy is not defined as govt of the english literate for the english illiterates and by the english literates. Therefore, it is a woeful shame and a calous apartheid to disenfranchise some folks based on a ludicrous criterion of someone being "illiterate". And some of you are clapping and believe it is taking your "demon crazy" to another level? Shame shame shame! Tomorrow, it might be your turn to be deenfranchized on the basis of an irrational criterion like this. You should all burry your head in shame. And btw, who said only the people who speaks and understand English are intelligent? I believe the person who postulated such a hypothesis must be the dumbest "literate" on planet earth. Would you mind showing us the correlation between literacy and intelligence or illiteracy and dumbness?

Dumb move really! The PDP in Ondo state should be sued and must be made accountable for this bullshit!!

FYI: When you say illiterate people should not VOTE, you should also EXEMPT them from taxation. No vote no tax thats so simple. Believe me, oil is not going to last forever, and you will be "depended" on my "illiterate" Tax one day sooner than you think. What goes around comes around.

Awon eni radarada, alainirolori, alaimokan ti won npe elomiran ni illiterate. I am so ILLITERATICALLY angry of some people now. E sonu fun mi joo!
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by aloyemeka1: 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2011
okooyinbo:

Wahala wa o! Ti o ba je bayi ni opolopo awon odo Naijiria se ng ronu wipe eniti ko ba le kaa abi so Geesi ko ni eto lati dibo, dajudaju, Naijiria ko nibi i lo. Kini itunmo "demokiresi" ti won ng pariwo yi gan paapaa? Ijoba awarawa fun awarawa lati owo awarawa. Won ko ni ijoba awon ti o le so Geesi fun awon ti o le so Geesi ati lati owo awon ti o le fi Geesi dara.

For those "illiterates" who can not read and understand my langugage: Democrazy is not defined as govt of the english literate for the english illiterates and by the english literates.
Therefore, it is a woeful shame and a calous apartheid to disenfranchise some folks based on a ludicrous criterion of someone being "illiterate". And some of you are clapping and believe it is taking your "demon crazy" to another level? Shame shame shame! Tomorrow, it might be your turn to be deenfranchized on the basis of an irrational criterion like this. You should all burry your head in shame. And btw, who said only the people who speaks and understand English are intelligent? I believe the person who postulated such a hypothesis must be the dumbest "literate" on planet earth. Would you mind showing us the correlation between literacy and intelligence or illiteracy and dumbness?

Dumb move really! The PDP in Ondo state should be sued and must be made accountable for this bullshit!!

FYI: When you say illiterate people should not VOTE, you should also  EXEMPT them from taxation. No vote no tax thats so simple. Believe me, oil is not going to last forever, and you will be "depended" on my "illiterate" Tax one day sooner than you think. What goes around comes around.

Awon eni radarada, alainirolori, alaimokan ti won npe elomiran ni illiterate. I am so ILLITERATICALLY angry of some people now. E sonu fun mi joo!

5 star response.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by Tunmi(f): 5:44pm On Jan 12, 2011
Again:

First of all, this is about delegates, PDP delegates to be exact. It is not every Tom, manliness and Harry in Ondo. Only PDP delegates. Delegate-a representative, as in a political convention. The question should be "Does PDP have any educational requirement to become a member of the party?" If they had such a requirement in place, there would be no need to weed out the illiterates. This, in fact, is an embarrassment to PDP; that a  political party has members that are not literate. It seems that they are rebranding the party.

Also, English is the official language of Nigeria. That means that literacy is determined, in Nigeria, as being able to read and write in the English language.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by aloyemeka1: 7:59pm On Jan 12, 2011
Tunmi:

Again:

First of all, this is about delegates, PDP delegates to be exact. It is not every Tom, manliness and Harry in Ondo. Only PDP delegates. Delegate-a representative, as in a political convention. The question should be "Does PDP have any educational requirement to become a member of the party?" If they had such a requirement in place, there would be no need to weed out the illiterates. This, in fact, is an embarrassment to PDP; that a  political party has members that are not literate. It seems that they are rebranding the party.

Also, English is the official language of Nigeria. That means that literacy is determined, in Nigeria, as being able to read and write in the English language.

Delegate ko English ni. They are there to chose the the party's flag bearer with the hope of eventual winning. If illiterates cannot be included in the decision process, then why do you want their taxes?. They are illiterates abi, not mentally sound to chose who they want unless they possess masters degrees and JD's. Thunder fire them there.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 8:01pm On Jan 12, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Delegate ko English ni. They are there to chose the the party's flag bearer with the hope of eventual winning. If illiterates cannot be included in the decision process, then why do you want their taxes?. They are illiterates abi, not mentally sound to chose who they want unless they possess masters degrees and JD's. Thunder fire them there.

I think anyone without a Phd should be excluded for our democracy.

What say Yo Eweka?
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by aloyemeka1: 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2011
fstranger1:

I think anyone without a Phd should be excluded for our democracy.

What say Yo Eweka?

Yes ooo, since education is now the measuring yardstick. Get a PHD, pick a PDP form.
Re: Illiterate Delegates Banned From Voting In Ondo State by fstranger1: 8:06pm On Jan 12, 2011
And for females the yardstick should be how hot they are?

I think Tunmi would make the cut, but I doubt if Kobo can make it?

And Ileke? I think she is hot and should be allowed to vote too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pic:David Mark's Home Vs. A Police Station In Otukpo(Mark's Hometown) / Why We Walked Out On Saraki—akpabio / Osinbanjo Blocked From Seeing Nnamdi Kanu PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.