Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,126 members, 7,953,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:06 PM

Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them (10993 Views)

Lets Settle Our Differences, Igbo Group Tells Lagosians / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by silami(m): 7:25am On Jan 10, 2011
Zik: “Let us forget our differences….”

Ahmadu Bello~ "No, let us understand our differences. I am a Muslim and a Northerner. You are a Christian, an Easterner. By understanding our differences, we can build unity in our country.”

In 1948 Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa stated thus in the Legislative Council: “Since 1914 the British Government has been trying to make Nigeria into one country, but the Nigerian people themselves are historically different in their backgrounds, in their religious beliefs and customs and do not show themselves any sign of willingness to unite, Nigerian unity is only a [3] British intention for the country.”

Do you think we should forget our differences or understand them as a country?
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Akhenaten: 7:36am On Jan 10, 2011
The man who refused to be our first PM because Lagos was too far from Kano.

He also said he would have preferred to be the Sultan of Sokoto than Prime Minister of Nigeria.

Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Akhenaten: 7:41am On Jan 10, 2011
[flash=450,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvmwd5ZRRM?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

Let us hear him speak for himself. Ahmadu Bello speaks in the beginning of the video.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by silami(m): 7:45am On Jan 10, 2011
@akhenaten Why don't you stick  to the topic instead of derailing it. and if you dont have anything to contribute please shut up you mouth, its because he knew what he wanted and sticked to it not slowpoke like you who probably can be carried away by any wind of doctrine, link to your claim pls, mumu
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Akhenaten: 7:49am On Jan 10, 2011
silami:

@akhenaten Why don't you stick  to the topic instead of derailing it. and if you dont have anything to contribute please shut up you mouth, its because he knew what he wanted and sticked to it not not-so-smart person like you who probably can be carried away by any wind of doctrine, link to your claim pls, mumu

How have I derailed this topic? By posting a picture of Ahmadu Bello? By providing a video of him speaking? Enough with your nonsense and learn from history, because I can see you do not know your history very well.

Now when someone puts a person in context, just allow that to happen.

And if you look at the video, listen to what he is saying. Right from the man's mouth. He never believed in "One Nigeria" so do not peddle lies.

1 Like

Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Akhenaten: 7:52am On Jan 10, 2011
Ahmadu Bello was the most shrewed of the big three he was able to out fox Zik and Awolowo. His proxy Akintola took over in the West, he was to instigate the carving out Mid-west from Western Nigeria. And that is just a few of the things Ahmadu Bello was able to accomplish.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by silami(m): 8:10am On Jan 10, 2011
i think you are much more ignorant of the history than i do! the peddled NORTHERN DOMINATION does not in fact exist. It IS a myth; not a reality. It is a convenient alibi concocted by some Southern politicians, and even some intellectuals to try and explain off the continued occupation or the Federal seat of power.

"Northern ‘domination’ or ‘monopoly’ of the Presidency is far from being due to a nebulous divine dispensation. It is the South’s constant and decisive support to a Northern domination or control. And so the South should stop blaming the North? (David-West, The Guardian On Sunday July 31, 1994).

just look at atleast these three evidence
1. The 1993 Party Primaries for a presidential candidate.

2. The results of the 1979 Presidential Election

3. The Resolution of the controversy over 2/3 of 19.

1993 Party Primaries (Presidential)

[] Shehu Yar'Adua easily trashed Olu Falae in Oyo State. He also made very impressive showing in almost all the Southern states.

At Ibadan, he even defeated a son of the soil, Layi Balogun.

1979 Presidential Election

Rivers State
Shagari: 72.7%
Zik: 14.4%
Awo: 10.0%

Cross Rivers:
Shagari: 64.4%
Zik: 7.7%
Awo: 11.7%

[14]

Anambra:
Shagari: 13.5%
Zik: 82.9%
Awo: 0.7%

Imo:
Shagari: 8.8%
Zik: 86.7%
Awo: 0.6%

Ogun:
Shagari: 6.2%
Zik: 0.3%
Awo: 92.6%

Ondo:
Shagari: 4.2%
Zik: 0.9%
Awo: 94.5%

Oyo:
Shagari: 12.7%
Zik: 0.6%
Awo: 88.8%

Sokoto:
Shagari: 66.6% *
Zik: 0.9%
Awo: 2.5%

* In his State, LOWER than Rivers (72.7%)
2/3 of 19 States Controversy

It was the legal-mathematical wizardry of a YORUBA (South) legal luminary, Chief Richard Akinjide, which finally sealed Chief Obafemi Awolowo’s YORUBA (South) protestations and legal challenge of Shagari being declared the winner.

And so Chief Awolowo later passed on simply with the cold comfort of "The best president Nigeria never had" (Ojukwu).

Akinjide was at the time the Legal Adviser to Shagari's party, the NPN. He was later appointed Attorney General and Minister of Justice by President Shehu Sbagari. Why not?

The eclat and encomium over this legal-mathematical feat were so profound and sustained even well after 1979 (in fact up to now) that another YORUBA legal luminary, Chief Niyi Akintola, had to come out to tarnish, sort of, all the praises being showered on Akinjide.

In an article titled “I Installed Shagari As President” (Daily Sketch May 4, 1993 Page 5) Niyi made the startling disclosure that in fact it was himself who originated the now widely acclaimed Akinjide’s legal interpretation of 2/3 of 19 States.

Niyi was miffed, indeed very upset, that Akinjide never gave him any credit for the feat; when in fact he acknowledged the letter he sent to him (Akinjide) on the interpretation of “2/3 of 19 States.”

In somewhat disguised way he said that he cherished “inner joy” as Chief Richard Akinjide.

If you care to cure your diseases of ignorance you can consult some of the Tam David West write ups. i sourced most of these information from them.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by saintneo(m): 8:21am On Jan 10, 2011
understand!
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 10, 2011
Honestly, I dont have the strenght for all this academic research.

Nigeria is not working, has never worked and is not showing any serious signs of working.

Let us stop these whole rhetorics and move on to a peaceful seperation or at least go back to the regions (which can be six now).
Sudan is having a referendom at the moment; we can learn from them.

2 Likes

Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by naijaking1: 8:25am On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

[flash=450,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvmwd5ZRRM?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

Let us hear him speak for himself. Ahmadu Bello speaks in the beginning of the video.
That's a very illuminating video, though it distract from its theme towards the end.
I wonder why all those shouting one Nigeria never cared to see this video, or they simply refused to admit its existence?

Sarduana, or whatever the filthy oldman called himself has been proved wrong by millions of Nigerians who fought to keep this country united.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Xomba(m): 8:31am On Jan 10, 2011
Doing both.But understanding first
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by silami(m): 8:38am On Jan 10, 2011
naijaking1:

That's a very illuminating video, though it distract from its theme towards the end.
I wonder why all those shouting one Nigeria never cared to see this video, or they simply refused to admit its existence?

Sarduana, or whatever the filthy oldman called himself has been proved wrong by millions of Nigerians who fought to keep this country united.

I think either you don't understand the topic, or you are just another ethnic bigot who's mindset is fixed towards ethnicity and sectionalism. these are two quotes from two revered Nigerians and u did not address any of the quotes but busy attacking personality. shut up your mouth because we don't need the likes of you here.

1 Like

Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Olaedo1: 8:43am On Jan 10, 2011
silami:

I think either you don't understand the topic, or you are just another ethnic bigot who's mindset is fixed towards ethnicity and sectionalism. these are two quotes from two revered Nigerians and u did not address any of the quotes but busy attacking personality. shut up your mouth because we don't need the likes of you here.

What is the whole quote from Zik?
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by silami(m): 9:00am On Jan 10, 2011
^^^ well you can as well do yourself a favour by searching but all i know it was a dialogue or if you like call it debate between these two men.

And the point here is that understanding that we are different; understanding that we all have our interests to protect and project; understanding that we must accommodate each other within the political and economic constrains; understanding that we must reach out to other groups with a warm handshake; understanding that the world does not belong to only our ethnic or religious group; understanding that fair play is critical to nation-building. We all know that there is diversity everywhere – if not by religion, then by region; if not by tribe, then by tongue; if not by dialect, then by idiolect. Our problem is not the diversity but HOW we manage it. And thats the essence of bringing up these topic here not to start talking sections, regions, ethnic groups or religions.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Olaedo1: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2011
silami:

^^^ well you can as well do yourself a favour by searching but all i know it was a dialogue or if you like call it debate between these two men.

And the point here is that understanding that we are different; understanding that we all have our interests to protect and project; understanding that we must accommodate each other within the political and economic constrains; understanding that we must reach out to other groups with a warm handshake; understanding that the world does not belong to only our ethnic or religious group; understanding that fair play is critical to nation-building. We all know that there is diversity everywhere – if not by religion, then by region; if not by tribe, then by tongue; if not by dialect, then by idiolect. Our problem is not the diversity but HOW we manage it. And thats the essence of bringing up these topic here not to start talking sections, regions, ethnic groups or religions.

The only thing that is stopping us from unity is being in the same country. I'd go with Bello's quote. We are not the same and are different.Once we are confined in our own autonomous enclave and under our own form of government, then, we can unite through respect and a handshake.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by naijaking1: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2011
Ola edo:

What is the whole quote from Zik?
Thank you. People who wake up one morning and want to re-write history have to at least do their home work cool

silami:

There is nothing to misunderstand about your post. You culled one sentence(off context) by Zik, and then you proceed to fill the whole page with the myopic ideas of your nasty and uneducated leader.
While you're at it, don't forget to include Awolowo's quotation to the mix, so that we can get a better idea of the ploitical atmosphere of 1940s Nigeria.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by MrRambo: 9:58am On Jan 10, 2011
@ ola edo. God bless you and your wisdom. i wonder why these "northerners" desperately try to make this messed up concept of Nigeria work. Take away the turban, fresh breeze may help u think straight.
I don't want to understand our differences, i don't want to forget them, i want to throw them all into hell and never have to think of them again.

2 Likes

Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by fstranger1: 12:38pm On Jan 10, 2011
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Dede1(m): 3:56pm On Jan 10, 2011
@post

Personally, I have never subscribed to Zik’s political philosophy of Nigeria. In fact, I believed in the doctrine eloquently stated by Bello. However, it is imperative to note that a certain region in Nigeria decided to practicably indulge in the socio-political doctrine of Bello.

It is not out of order to allude to the fact that morons planted in Nigeria decided to lynch the idea. Even though the poster’s exploratory research attempts showed a voting record which is misleading, most of states that voted for “son of the soil” fought for the northern region when the issue of being different from each other was subjected to practicality.

There is nothing worse than Nigeria, Rwanda and RSA in Africa as long as ethnic relationship is concerned.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Pharoh: 10:02pm On Jan 10, 2011
I will go with zik
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Chiori(m): 2:54am On Nov 30, 2011
There is more wisdom in what the Sardauna said than in Zik's posturing. For when there is a problem, you do not overcome it by forgetting it. No! You gain the upper hand by understanding the problem, thus seeing how you may surmount it. The real issue in Nigeria is that we have refused to understand our differences, and so the resultant hiccups have always caught us smack in the face, and we seem to be ever clueless and helpless. If understanding were forged, by now we would not be talking about the same fundamental challenges as were perceived in the 60s, and certainly the level of the development of Nigeria would have surpassed those of the Eurozone states. It is not late, however, for us to begin to truly understand our differences. For we shall then begin to see how we may live together, not as a nation, but as a state, in unity despite the differences.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by aloyemeka1: 3:24am On Nov 30, 2011
Chiori:

There is more wisdom in what the Sardauna said than in Zik's posturing. For when there is a problem, you do not overcome it by forgetting it. No! You gain the upper hand by understanding the problem, thus seeing how you may surmount it. The real issue in Nigeria is that we have refused to understand our differences, and so the resultant hiccups have always caught us smack in the face, and we seem to be ever clueless and helpless. If understanding were forged, by now we would not be talking about the same fundamental challenges as were perceived in the 60s, and certainly the level of the development of Nigeria would have surpassed those of the Eurozone states. It is not late, however, for us to begin to truly understand our differences. For we shall then begin to see how we may live together, not as a nation, but as a state, in unity despite the differences.

So have you understood it since then?. How many years now and you are yet to understand the theorem called Nigeria?.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Chiori(m): 4:24am On Nov 30, 2011
By forgetting it, have we forged ahead or behind? The attitude of past generations of Nigerians has been to throw up their hands in defeatist fashion and say there is no hope. But I come with a message of hope to my people, to my generation, and to generations after me, that yes, we Nigerians CAN find the formula to unify and develop as a state. There must be a paradigm shift, and my conclusion is NIGERIA MUST WORK OUT JUST FINE!
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by ndukwejoe(m): 4:38am On Nov 30, 2011
The truth is we are not the same with the north. We are living a false life.if two souths ve problem they fight themselves. If two norths have problem boy .they burn churches kill pastors. Kill pregnant women. Kill corpers. Let's tell ourselves the truth.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Chiori(m): 4:43am On Nov 30, 2011
That is because social security has not been established in this country. And plus, the authorities turn a blind eye to anomalies, thereby breeding a society where social injustice is the order of the day. Don't just stop at identifying problems. Proffer solutions, and in your own small corner begin to work these solutions. A viable Nigeria depends on you, and depends on me.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by musiwa43: 4:49am On Nov 30, 2011
zik was nigeria problem. balewa was right. Zik put nigeria into the problem we all face. Britain was wlling to give us separate nation. It was zik who created the problem. Zik was a natural selfish man. And that why the igbos treat zik
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Nobody: 4:56am On Nov 30, 2011
On face value,understanding each other makes more logical sense. But this is Nigeria. A region of the country has since stubbornly refuse to understand. Holding onto archaic traditions that has no place in the modern world.
Why can't we just learn to live with each other or at least tolerate each other instead of going on rampage,murdering families so often as is commonly done in that part of the country.
Let us forget our differences and live in peace.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by AjanleKoko: 10:59am On Nov 30, 2011
musiwa,,.:

zik was nigeria problem. balewa was right. Zik put nigeria into the problem we all face. Britain was wlling to give us separate nation. It was zik who created the problem. Zik was a natural selfish man. And that why the igbos treat zik

I agree jare.
Re: Zik:let Us Forget Our Differences: Sardauna:no, Let Us Understand Them by Fellonigerians: 3:45pm On Feb 01, 2013
musiwa,,.:

Nigerians like you are the problem. Zik fought for us to have a country. You are now enjoying it, and have the balls to say he created a problem. If Zik was selfish, you would have still been ruled by your colonial master. Instead of thinking of ways to move the country forward, you are here condemning people that put their lives on the line for you and i. shame on you guys. Why didnt Awo refuse the union They all agreed to have a country!

(1) (Reply)

NL Political Dialogue Nov 2012: STATE POLICE - ARE WE READY FOR IT? / Photos Of Dino Melaye Expensive Cars / "Dasuki Ignored Olisa Metuh's Enquiry On Source Of Funds" - Witness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.