Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,966 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports (11689 Views)

$26 Billion For Unidentified Source Passed Through Binance-cardoso / IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World / Border Closure: Northern Textile Traders Say They Stand To Lose Over N3 Trillion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by dipoolowoo: 9:54pm On Apr 30, 2020
By Dipo Olowookere

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected that the present global health crisis could make Nigeria lose more than $26 billion from crude oil sales.

In a statement issued on Thursday night, the international lender also said it expects the country’s economy to contract by about 3.4 percent in 2020, a 6-percentage point drop compared to pre-COVID-19 projections.

Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy, has crude oil as its main export commodity, representing around 90 percent of its exports.

Since prices of the commodity crashed few months ago, the country has recorded shortfall in revenue and few weeks ago, Nigerian cargoes carrying oil were looking for buyers.

“The sharp fall in international oil prices, together with reduced global demand for oil, is worsening the country’s fiscal and external positions. The country’s oil exports are expected to fall by more than $26 billion,” the IMF said in the statement.

The global lender explained that it was because of the impending economic crisis it approved its largest COVID-19 emergency financing package, $3.4 billion, under the Rapid Financing Instrument (RFI) for Nigeria.

The federal government requested an emergency assistance of about $3.4 billion, equivalent to 100 percent of its quota, under the IMF’s RFI.

The fund was approved by the IMF Executive Board on April 28, 2020 to help alleviate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and the sharp fall in oil prices.

According to the IMF, the money will provide critical support to shore up Nigeria’s heath care sector, and shield jobs and businesses from the shock of the COVID-19 crisis. It will also help limit the decline in international reserves.

IMF noted that, “To enhance transparency and governance, the Nigerian authorities committed to undertake an independent audit of crisis-mitigation spending and related procurement processes, and to publish procurement plans and notices for all emergency-response activities, including the names of awarded companies and beneficial owners.

“Special budget lines are to be created to record all crisis emergency response measures, which are published daily on Nigeria’s treasury online portal.

“These measures will not only ensure financial assistance received as part of the COVID-19 response is used for its intended purposes, but also significantly strengthen the oversight of the entire budget used for the government’s crisis response.”

Recall that recently, precisely on April 13, the IMF Executive Board approved immediate debt service relief to 25 of the IMF’s member countries, including 19 from Africa, under the IMF’s revamped Catastrophe Containment and Relief Trust (CCRT).

However, Nigeria was excluded from the fund, which is a part of IMF’s response to help address the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Explaining the rationale behind this, the US-based organisation said, “Nigeria was not included in the list of beneficiary countries for this initiative because Nigeria had no outstanding debt owed to the IMF at that time.”

https://businesspost.ng/economy/nigeria-to-lose-over-26bn-from-oil-exports-imf/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by GodPunishCorona: 10:07pm On Apr 30, 2020
That is such a huge amount of money

4 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Racoon(m): 10:10pm On Apr 30, 2020
Oil prices is down now but will it rise better after this Coronavirus pandemic? The market forces will decide.

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by georgecso(m): 5:07am On May 01, 2020
Wow.. Its huge o.. That is how it goes if you depend on one source of income .. I was just wondering what would have being our fate if we still depend on foreign Rice.. Kudos to all our rice millers.

20 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Sampalo: 5:07am On May 01, 2020
Wetin be our gain before?

14 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Nobody: 5:07am On May 01, 2020
I gain anything before? mtchewwww!

18 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by directonpc(m): 5:08am On May 01, 2020
Chai post COVID-19 Nigeria will reboot. More eyes will be on our speech reading president. Please in 2023 let's vote in someone that will put Nigeria first. Before Hausa, Igbo or Yoruba, he is Nigerian. God bless Nigeria.

Extra
I make mobile apps

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Mubbyleey(m): 5:08am On May 01, 2020
Country’s economy to contract by about 3.4 percent in 2020 is still not bad compare to other countries... I believe Nigerians can understand why the government cannot afford not to loan "not a loan per sé" this money from IMF, the crash in oil prices is a global thing that affects all oil producing states. USA WTI is feeling the heat too, so i hope the Government can fast track this economy diversification of a thing...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by PHijo(m): 5:08am On May 01, 2020
Great development!
I hope it ends up being more than that.

2 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by mygreenday(m): 5:09am On May 01, 2020
such herculean loss from our almighty source of income. Hunger 20 loading
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Nobody: 5:09am On May 01, 2020
directonpc:
chai
even since they have been gaining big money, you get anything? mtcheeww

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Nobody: 5:10am On May 01, 2020
Mubbyleey:
Damn
damn what?

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Exc2000: 5:10am On May 01, 2020
undecided

the recession loading wont be funny, with massive job loss... covid 19 wont leave us the same again

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Blacknote: 5:10am On May 01, 2020
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by kellight(m): 5:10am On May 01, 2020
Sorry to say this but this news sounds funny, we're too dependent on oil and it has ruined us as a nation

2 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Mutemenot(m): 5:11am On May 01, 2020
It affects our politicians mostly as they don't have much to loot. A common 'll always survive as usual

9 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by RichDad1(m): 5:11am On May 01, 2020
Ok.
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Wuuworld(m): 5:12am On May 01, 2020
Double Wahala For DEADBODY!!!
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Urchman200: 5:12am On May 01, 2020
Abeg they should spare the common man all this lose and gain story ,when we gained it what did we use it for? Last last na for few people pocket it still end.

2 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Openbusiness: 5:13am On May 01, 2020
N
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Exc2000: 5:13am On May 01, 2020
Mutemenot:
It affects our politicians mostly as they don't have much to loot. A common 'll always survive as usual

lol ... civil servant would hear hunger , feel hunger and see hunger.... drop in oil price saw them not paying salary for 18 months, now drop in price plus lack of sales would see them owing 30 months, bankers would lay off staffs as we run a monoeconomy, importers wont get dollar and prices of imported items would go up, market women would sell less and make little profit

7 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by directonpc(m): 5:16am On May 01, 2020
Imustsurvive:

even since they have been gaining big money, you get anything? mtcheeww
I prefer a stronger Naira, so yeah!!!
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by CodeTemplar: 5:17am On May 01, 2020
The oil is in the ground and I can't see how we are losing when the resources are intact.

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Mubbyleey(m): 5:18am On May 01, 2020
Imustsurvive:

damn what?
First reaction mate!!! It's a scary thing for the government to lose this much in this global Crisis. It is well!

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Nobody: 5:19am On May 01, 2020
directonpc:
I prefer a stronger Naira, so yeah!!!
and you are taken foreign loans?

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by vcente(m): 5:23am On May 01, 2020
Imf just approved Buharis loan smiley
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by longetivity(m): 5:25am On May 01, 2020
no pain no gain
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by optimistD(m): 5:26am On May 01, 2020
As if I have been feeling the impact of the ones we have been exporting before now. I provide everything they should provide for me. I pay internal security N8000(my share of 24000/month), N2000 for the external security, 2 generators in case one fails, and still got a bill of N21,000 from PHED this month with a threat to disconnect me, which I'm still contesting, note that I wasn't owing as at last month. I don't want to talk about the high private school fees due to their inability to run government schools. Even with the present condition of things, they don't care or rather do not know what to do than to wait for oil money to be shared and embezzled.

7 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Corporate2020: 5:28am On May 01, 2020
Wrong assessment by IMF. This IMF is too dumb. Nigeria's political elites to lose money, not Nigeria. The masses never knew where all the money goes. Even when Oil price was relatively high, Ngozi Iwealla and Goatluck Jonaddaft were borrowing to pay Salaries while the President's megalomaniac wife was becoming richer than the States.

The good news is buyers are now rejecting Oil as price is going down to $0. The end is coming to the problems of Nigeria. Oil is what the devil sent to ruin Nigeria. Once Oil sales end, Nigeria will be forced back to Agriculture and Solid Minerals.

Then we shall see whether Farmers will toil the Soil, plant Crops, nurture the Crops, then Harvest it, sell the Harvests and go and give the money to useless government and politicians to share and loot.

Very soon, nobody will contest for any elective posts again when there is no money to share and loot.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Nobody: 5:30am On May 01, 2020
Let's kukuma drink the hoil, starting from the president.
Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by Olathunji010(m): 5:40am On May 01, 2020
Recession is nocking our door.... anyway may we never had it bad in our lives no matter how its...it should never take any negative impact in our lifetime amen

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports by TodayNAlways: 5:43am On May 01, 2020
GodPunishCorona:
That is such a huge amount of money

Yes it's.
Meanwhile, who else has been waiting for yesterday's NCDC new cases report and none till now? This one that they didn't come up with something yesterday, let me believe they haven't gone into a total state of confusion. Even WHO knows figures emanating from Nigeria will disfigure their actual plan when it comes to accurate and factual reporting. A country that has bracketed Corona inside politics.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ndigbo Muslims After Eid Prayer In Abia / APC Presidential Candidate Emerges Tomorrow / What Does Sai Buhari Means?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.