Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Remi Tinubu Set For Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remi Tinubu Set For Senate (8787 Views)

Remi Tinubu Cool On Ekweremadu's Seat (Photos) / Remi Tinubu ‘Takes Over’ Ekweremadu’s Seat - TheCable / Okorocha, Tinubu Set To Clash Over Ministerial Nomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by qblaze(m): 11:30am On Jan 11, 2011
http://www.lagostimes.com/2011/01/11/remi-tinubu-set-for-senate-2/

The former first lady of Lagos, Remi Tinubu is set to win the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) primaries and represent the state in the senate. Mrs Tinubu , the wife of Bola Tinubu, the former governor and powerful ACN chief recently  made known her intent to represent the Lagos Central Senatorial District.

The announcement surprised most political observers as the former first lady has no political experience. After the end of her husband's tenure in 2007, she has devoted her time to humanitarian programmes and founded the influential New Era Foundation which works on a number of community development projects.

Mrs Tinubu will slug it out with the incumbent, Alhaji Muniru Muse after the third candidate Oyinlomo Danmole, dropped out of the race. Mr Danmole is the Special Adviser to the Governor on the Central Business District.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by blacksta(m): 11:53am On Jan 11, 2011
Whether Acn or pdp all of them na padi padi business- Can some remind us of her contributions at the local level apart from being a former governor's wife.

If she really has the will of people at heart why not start at the local level. I think it is time the people of Lagos send a shock wave and refuse to be a part of this kleptocracy.

ACN is fast becoming a regional PDP i guess what does one expect with the mass cross carpeting from PDP into ACN. To my surprise nobody is complaining now when people are decamping from PDP to their respective parties.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by debosky(m): 12:18pm On Jan 11, 2011
Wives of politicians become politicians themselves in other climes, so in that respect, it's not a big deal. Many of those women got to exalted offices without lots of prior political experience.

I hope she's learned a thing or two from her husband - if she has, she'll be a formidable presence in the Senate.

On the issue of regional PDP, I think that's a little unfair, at least she's competing against other candidates cheesy.

In PDP, she would win by a 'landslide' getting more votes than the number of delegates available. grin grin

Besides, we need a strong rival to the PDP - even if the rivals aren't perfect, there surely must be some form of alternative to that undemocratic gathering of thieves.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Intrepid1(m): 12:24pm On Jan 11, 2011
This one na walkover! As long as she's Mrs Tinubu, its a no-brainer! Let's see what she has to offer,
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by leboss6(m): 12:40pm On Jan 11, 2011
i got no qualms wit her contesting, did hillary clinton not contest for Americas presidency
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:44pm On Jan 11, 2011
Intrepid!:

This one na walkover! As long as she's Mrs Tinubu, its a no-brainer! Let's see what she has to offer,

The question is what does she have to offer, we often fall for the trap of Wait-and-See only to realize that the Politician will sit through their tenure and achieve nothing inside (and outside) the Electoral Mandate they got from the voters. We never ask ourselves a simple question, what has she done before now that merits a seat at the Senate. what are her leadership antecedents. let us separate her from Tinubu. what has she done in the past that will suddenly change what she will promise to do in the future. If you are not capable of handling lesser positions, why should you be entrusted with a higher position.

ACN has already become the PDP monster she claims to fight, Bola Ahmed Tinubu is a party tyrant and dictator (worst combination)
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Harfox: 1:04pm On Jan 11, 2011
It is a welcomed development, the Man representing Lagos Central has done nothing in the Senate, don't even know he got there, REMI TINUBU, will be a good addition the club of New Legislators we'll be having.
With DORA, TINUBU, ABIOLA-EDEWOR,e.t.c

The senate will be a little bit beefed up with intellectuals and not the likes of MUSE.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Harfox: 1:07pm On Jan 11, 2011
It is a welcomed development, the Man representing Lagos Central has done nothing in the Senate, don't even know he got there, REMI TINUBU, will be a good addition the club of New Legislators we'll be having.
With DORA, TINUBU, ABIOLA-EDEWOR,e.t.c

The senate will be a little bit beefed up with intellectuals and not the likes of MUSE.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by ladej(m): 1:17pm On Jan 11, 2011
leboss6:

i got no qualms wit her contesting, did hillary clinton not contest for Americas presidency
apples and oranges mate. hillary clinton had good experience as a senator before contesting for the presidency. Remi on the other hand has no political experience. the main thing though is that she performs, if elected.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by myk2mic: 1:25pm On Jan 11, 2011
apples and oranges mate. hillary clinton had good experience as a senator before contesting for the presidency. Remi on the other hand has no political experience. the main thing though is that she performs, if elected.

and before she became a senator, wat experience did she have apart from being the wife of a politician, so let Remi contenst as well to be a senator, from there who knows grin
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by blacksta(m): 1:26pm On Jan 11, 2011
ladej:

In the Nigerian context it is highly unlikely- Just another salary and allowance earning station.  He who has managed little well can be be trusted with much.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by JJay1(m): 1:27pm On Jan 11, 2011
myk2mic:

and before she became a senator, wat experience did she have apart from being the wife of a politician, so let Remi contenst as well to be a senator, from there who knows grin

And what political experience did Hillary have before going to the senate?
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by leboss6(m): 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2011
ladej:

[color=#550000][/color]Thanks for buttressing my point mate, Hillary had no experience before getting elected to senate, and she perfomed wonderfully well, but on second thought what more experience can one need apart from being a great politicians wife She learns directly from the grandmaster
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by jaygetta1: 1:53pm On Jan 11, 2011
Chei, look insult. Comparing Hillary to Remi! O ti sele, o ti pari! Hillary was part and parcel of her husband's failed Universal Health Care Plan, but I guess u wouldn't know this (this was while he was still in office by the way). . . A faire comparison would be Remi Tinubu and Griselda Blanco; at least we know what Ojuyobo was up to while he live in Chi Town!
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by fstranger1: 2:14pm On Jan 11, 2011
jay_getta:

Chei, look insult. Comparing Hillary to Remi! O ti sele, o ti pari! Hillary was part and parcel of her husband's failed Universal Health Care Plan, but I guess u wouldn't know this (this was while he was still in office by the way). . . A faire comparison would be Remi Tinubu and Griselda Blanco; at least we know what Ojuyobo was up to while he live in Chi Town!

you seem well grounded in Nigerian politics and yet you ve never been to Nigeria

Anyway, Remi is one hot mama and for that alone I support her 100%

I have a feeling though that she is being pushed to do it. It is unlike her.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by blapo(m): 2:28pm On Jan 11, 2011
padi padi wayo wayo business,
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by tunde121oke: 2:37pm On Jan 11, 2011
oh dear
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 11, 2011
seems like tinubu is exploring alternative revenue streams for lagos

a senators salary and allowances can fix several roads a year cheesy cheesy
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by charlesxpe: 2:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
All these people are just recycling themselves again, arrrgh, we need new faces angry
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by DisGuy: 2:52pm On Jan 11, 2011
I see many hypocrites in here!!!
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 11, 2011
LOL. From recent political happenings, i'm sure it's now becoming obvious to many Nigerians (NLders @ least) that the AC isn't very much different idealogically from the PDP. They are all a BUNCH OF SELF SEEKING THIEVES
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by asscend: 3:14pm On Jan 11, 2011
Thank God for AC.

We need more opposition. The candidiates might not be perfect now but gradually the idea of opposition gets into the people and you will eventually see quality candidates.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Fhemmmy: 3:22pm On Jan 11, 2011
Nigeria shall rise again
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 11, 2011
charlesxpe:

All these people are just recycling themselves again, arrrgh, we need new faces angry

I completely agree with you Sir!
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by luvinhubby(m): 4:29pm On Jan 11, 2011
See the bigger picture, "TINUBU NEEDS THE MONEY".
           After 4yrs in Senate, she will come back and contest for Lagos governorship post under ACN with a CV that will include wife of governor and a "one time senator of the federal republic" and Tinubu`s overiding influence in ACN, she wins.
  Tinubu wants to keep Lagos and it`s purse under his control so as to "enthrone" himself as the leader of the yoruba race after Awolowo and Pa Adesanya and he needs Lagos state as a financial fountain that will generate the funds that he needs to make him a regional political monster, feeding on our taxes to become a political demi-god in Lagos.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by iyaegin: 4:58pm On Jan 11, 2011
I think its quite belittling with all due respect to remi tinubu to be comparing her to Hilary Clinton. i would advise those trying to compare the both of them to read up on Hiolary's pedigree from her days in college before even thinking of comparing her with remi let alone talk on experience. remi has no political experience and would only OBVIOUSLY ride on her husband's increasing political influence.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Jan 11, 2011
blacksta:

[size=13pt]Whether Acn or pdp all of them na padi padi business- Can some remind us of her contributions at the local level apart from being a former governor's wife.

If she really has the will of people at heart why not start at the local level. I think it is time the people of Lagos send a shock wave and refuse to be a part of this kleptocracy.
[/size]

ACN is fast becoming a regional PDP i guess what does one expect with the mass cross carpeting from PDP into ACN. To my surprise nobody is complaining now when people are decamping from PDP to their respective parties.

It is like watching a show called "Keeping it in the family" . . . I hope she is not running on her husbands accomplishments cause his supporters are still trying to figure that one out. Also, I hope people will not let this happen nationwide as it seems most all the women going in this year are wives or widows or even daughters of past politicians and many of them have no impressive CV to show.
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by coolsammy: 5:14pm On Jan 11, 2011
Politically, we are really getting it wrong. i weep for our great Nigeria cry
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by jacobs123(m): 6:05pm On Jan 11, 2011
If Nigerians complain that the same set of people have been ruling us, they embrace woman empowerment and replace themselves with their wives and Girlfriends (Anenih, Ekaette, Nenadi Usman, First ladies etc). Not too long from now, Nigerians will be serving their children. Actually, Nigerians are already sucking up to their children (Adedibu, Obasanjo-Bello, Shagari, Bankole and very soon Osoba's son in Ogun state.

Until Nigerians choose to stand up for themselves and realise that Pikin no pass Pikin (One man, One vote) then let's just accept what we've decided not to refuse. Democracy is all about numbers and if you choose to sell ur own vote, give it, refuse to use then don't complain about the results.

We have all that is necessary to demystify the Godfathers but no we stand in awe of them!!!
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by Ibomade1: 6:11pm On Jan 11, 2011
There she goes . God dey sha
Re: Remi Tinubu Set For Senate by ekubear1: 6:18pm On Jan 11, 2011
I never have liked Hillary Clinton, and i don't like this development either. Government shouldn't be a family business.

What prior experience does this woman have?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Panic In Aso Rock As IPOB Unveil Weapons (photo) / Electoral Act: Buhari Has Hidden Agenda – Afenifere / Palliatives: Oyebanji Meets Organised Labour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.