Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,685 members, 7,813,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Child Beggars On Lagos Street - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Beggars On Lagos Street (9332 Views)

PHOTOS: Army Floods Lagos Street This Morning / Kaduna Beggars Protest Ban By Government (Photo) / Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by Holla2: 3:17pm On Jan 12, 2011
Busy_body:

Welcome to Nigeria and Nigerians with their not-in-my-backyard-mentality undecided

Hope you would not end up screaming yourself hoarse.

Freaking crab-in-a-basket set of entities cool

hmmnnn . . . I hope not, till we all undstand our role smiley Just maybe we'll get it right sometimes soon
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jan 12, 2011
ifyalways:

Folks suggesting taking them willingly from their parents or giving them jobs to do must be living in la la land or have NOT really encountered those fulani/chad beggars . . . .The love/ties btwn them and their parents is extremely strong.No amount of money can entice them to disobey or leave their parents to work or go to any home.
I think the solution is to deal with the root cause,the parents.

Ehrm, when I meant offer them some menial job, I was talking about the parents too. No way am I going to give some children (below teens) jobs without the presence of their parents.
If the parents refuse, well then, let them suffer. Sad to say, it's just too bad.
If people stop giving them free money, they'll learn. What rubbish is that? I offer you job for money and you refused?
But if you keep offering them money, their mindset wont be changing anytime soon.

I hate comparing Western atmosphere to Nigeria's, but I have no other choice. In Amerikka, you noticed that beggars (mostly Latinos/Hispanics) are willing to do some housework for money or food. Why do you think most of them and their children are now going to school? Do you think it was because of free money?

P.S Nobody should be quoting the Bible to me, thanks.

ifyalways:

@Toyin,adoption is not as easy as we think.There are age limits . . . You cant just wake up and adopt an 8Yr old boy off the streets of lagos and bring into your home unless u have a death wish for urself.We can however foster a child age,notwithstanding.
Btwn,those child beggars aint even going nowhere,begging is their only known source of livelihood,they sort of believe they are born to beg . . .even the pretty grown up ones don't enter pro.stitution,they marry a fellow beggar and the cycle goes on . . .
Ok, so it's not as easy as I thought. What are the age limits? And why is it a death wish to adopt them? Are the parents going to kill me for taking their children off the street, educating them, and even feeding the parents themselves. I mean, as long as I treat the children as my own, dont make them suffer or treat them as slaves. . . kini problem? Or are you assuming that since we are religiously different, I might be in danger? shocked

Well, Ifyalways, we have to change that mindset, now dont we?  It's not only a problem to them, but to the rest of us society(ties). It not only hurts us national, but also our international image.
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by fstranger1: 8:03pm On Jan 12, 2011
Ileke please you can adopt me.

You dont have to adopt child beggers

And, I can do a lot of things to make you happy, like erm you know what!

Anyway, please adopt moi!
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by ifyalways(f): 9:20pm On Jan 12, 2011
@toyin,let me try to explain as much as i can.perharps 'death wish' is a strong word,lets just say stressful and most times does not work out cos of reasons like;high possibility of running back to the strt. when disciplined(if the social welfare gets to know that an adopted child is missing,trust me u wont like what u wud get from them),behavioral and street life problems,u need extra dose of patience,may not fit into ur way of life,values and cos they are used to making decisions for themselves,they tend to be rebellious esp. when they sense u are trying to run their life,they may not offer or reciprocate ur love as they are used to the hard way.anywayz,there might be exceptions though im yet to see or hear of any in naija.i know abt 3 cases sef whereby the kids used their legs to come back to the home from where they were adopted.besides, its even a moot point as i dont know of any welfare office or orphanage home that wud agree to such arrangement(grown kids adoption).
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by ifyalways(f): 9:27pm On Jan 12, 2011
you can help grown kids by sending them to a corrective home,sadly we hardly have any. .alakara juv. home maybe and foster him/her or get him into an orphanage home and lol only very few homes take grown up kids.babies are more profitable and attract pity_party better.sad though but hope dey!
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 12, 2011
ifyalways:

@toyin,let me try to explain as much as i can.perharps 'death wish' is a strong word,lets just say stressful and most times does not work out cos of reasons like;high possibility of running back to the strt. when disciplined(if the social welfare gets to know that an adopted child is missing,trust me u wont like what u wud get from them),behavioral and street life problems,u need extra dose of patience,may not fit into your way of life,values and cos they are used to making decisions for themselves,they tend to be rebellious esp. when they sense u are trying to run their life,they may not offer or reciprocate your love as they are used to the hard way.anywayz,there might be exceptions though im yet to see or hear of any in naija.i know abt 3 cases sef whereby the kids used their legs to come back to the home from where they were adopted.besides, its even a moot point as i dont know of any welfare office or orphanage home that wud agree to such arrangement(grown kids adoption).

It seems to me like you just described a normal teenager. How can a child tell me not to discipline him/her. Dont worry about that, by the time I'm done with him/her, they'll know my loff is strong. Every child is going to be rebellious, even if they're biologically or not biologically yours. Adoption does happen in Nigeria (with relatives), we just need to [b]legalize [/b]unrelated-adoption. So what about the children without parents out there?

I just dont see the point of having 9 kids, while we have so many stray children looking for a home. If it gets so bad, why not adopt a child you're tribally or regionally connected to.

As for the social welfare issue, a common ground will be met for both parties. I dont believe the social welfare in Nigeria is as strict as the ones here.

Let's think about why we need to do something with child beggars:

1. National problem
2. International reputation
3. Increase of Boko harams
4. Increase of area boys
5. crime rate

etc etc
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jan 12, 2011
ifyalways:

you can help grown kids by sending them to a corrective home,sadly we hardly have any. .alakara juv. home maybe and foster him/her or get him into an orphanage home and lol only very few homes take grown up kids.babies are more profitable and attract pity_party better.sad though but hope dey!

Corrective home? Like juvenile detention?

If I'm correct, why would we want to send innocent kids off to that place?
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 12, 2011
fstranger1:

Ileke please you can adopt me.

You dont have to adopt child beggers

And, I can do a lot of things to make you happy, like erm you know what!

Anyway, please adopt moi!

You come with a liability (insulting the female species). . . . I dont deal well with liabilities.

embarassed
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by fstranger1: 10:16pm On Jan 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You come with a liability (insulting the female species). . . .  I dont deal well with liabilities.

embarassed

In biology, a species is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank. A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. grin

Again you are wrong. It seems you are confusing me with someone else, may be Oga Dayokanu or SEFAGO.

If you adopt me, you may actually learn a lot from me, like the proper definition and use of the word 'species.'

Anyway, I am up for adoption. Do the right thing before madam Kobo beats you to it.

Half oro la man so fun omo luabi. to ba de nue it becomes whole oro! How? Dont ask me.
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by Nobody: 6:08am On Jan 13, 2011
Dont derail jor.
Be serious.
Re: Child Beggars On Lagos Street by ifyalways(f): 8:37am On Jan 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It seems to me like you just described a normal teenager. How can a child tell me not to discipline him/her. Dont worry about that, by the time I'm done with him/her, they'll know my loff is strong. Every child is going to be rebellious, even if they're biologically or not biologically yours. Adoption does happen in Nigeria (with relatives), we just need to legalize [/b]unrelated-adoption. So what about the children without parents out there?

I just dont see the point of having 9 kids, while we have so many stray children looking for a home. If it gets so bad, why not adopt a child you're tribally or regionally connected to.

As for the social welfare issue, a common ground will be met for both parties.[b] I dont believe the social welfare in Nigeria is as strict as the ones here.

Let's think about why we need to do something with child beggars:

1. National problem
2. International reputation
3. Increase of Boko harams
4. Increase of area boys
5. crime rate

etc etc
lmao
Far from reality . . .very far from reality.
Ileke-IdI:

Corrective home? Like juvenile detention?

If I'm correct, why would we want to send innocent kids off to that place?
did u read what i posted?
There are currently no functioning corrective homes in naija,Alakara juvenile home serves that purpose. . .correction,education(when ppl foster),accommodation and food.
What im trying to say is simply this:the vices the strt kids pick from the kids are so numerous that they are not picked and taken straight off to an orphanage home or adopted,they are taken first to a corrective home b4 they are either transferred to an orphanage home or left at the Juvenile center and catered for(education etc).The problem they face however,is lack of funds as what they get from the govt is nothing to write home abt.
Kind individuals can go there,pick out a child and decide to foster ie take care of his education,feeding and basic needs.
Giving them out for adoption have been tried in the past and it backfired.The kids come back to the home and u cant force them back.Arrgh . . .u started this adoption issue,i think we are digressing from topic cos street beggars are different from strt kids.
Those Fulani/chad beggars have their parents while strt kids are purely kids without any form of parents, . . .they are littered all over the streets of lagos and home for them is under bridge,stalls,schools etc.
Btwn,when i say kids i mean children above 9.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Traditional Ruler, Others Killed In Zamfara / Ohaneze Ndigbo Wades Into Feud Between Gov Umahi And Anyim / Bashir Magashi: Nigeria Needs Prayers From US, Not Terror Alert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.