Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! (13201 Views)

Woman Stabs Teenager Over ‘husband-snatching’ Scandal In Ghana (photo) / Living In The City Without A Job, How Ladies Cope. / A 44 Year Old Father Of 5 Impregnates A Teenager In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by Atreides(f): 2:24pm On Jan 13, 2011
Ok so i just realized that i need a job. I've been staying at home for a few months,doing absolutely nothing(apart from house chores and whatnot) and school isn't resuming until March(or even later). I need a laptop but my dad won't buy me one-he seems to think that if i save up and buy one with my own money i'll take better care of it. He thinks this is a great chance to teach me financial responsibility(i really,rEALLy hate those two words). I live in Nigeria and we don't have that culture of summer jobs so i've never really worked in my life-my money comes from allowances/dashes from relatives(i'm a natural saver). Now that i've decided i need a job,the problem is which one to do. My parents okayed the idea so i got a job at a weavon/attachment wholesale shop but i quit after three(actually two) days. I'm not lazy-i swear to God,i'm not,but the work was back-breaking! I did some research on the topic and i've learnt that the best thing to do is to think of a service that people in my society need and see whether i can do it for them,for a reasonable price of course. The only thing i can come up with is baby-sitting;i do that all the time but no one is gonna pay me for that. I have good money skills-i'm great with numbers and i've got a great memory. I read a lot too,but i don't think that counts as a skill. So please,i want practical suggestions that can actually work in Naija.
Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 13, 2011
For a 17-year old, you have a good head on your shoulder . . . . keep it up!  wink

I never really worked myself as a secondary school leaver cos I was the last born and somehow got everything I needed. But I remember my elder ones doing some odd jobs after their secondary education before they got into the University so I have some ideas you could try out.

If you have some private schools around who can hire you to teach in the junior secondary or even primary schools, you can check them out.

You can also try working as a sales person in supermarkets and other shops. Also you could work in an office as a typist since are obviously good with the computer.

You should also consider working in a cyber cafe.

If you can bake, you can look into making snacks (cakes, chin-chin, buns and others) to supply at school canteens and even office around your place. I'm sure your parents will give you a loan to start with  wink

I'll let you know if I think of any other thing!

1 Like

Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by Atreides(f): 3:13pm On Jan 13, 2011
Thanks! Some people call it steady/responsible(which equals boring),but like you,i prefer to call it having a good head on my shoulders! I wouldn't say i need the money per se,but i really,really want that laptop. I guess i could get someone to buy it for me(after some serious begging. . Lol),but for some reason,i seem to be stuck on this idea of a job,on doing something by myself without having to ask anyone for anything. Now to your tips. I can't bake so that's out of it. The cyber-cafe thing sounds good but i'll have to talk to my dad first. When he hears cyber cafe he thinks yahoo boys and police raids. I'll ask him anyway. I dont think a secondary school leaver can teach Junior Sec. School(i heard you need at least an N.C.E degree or something for Jss and a university degree for Sss). As for teaching primary schools,that's not a bad idea. . I'm a good public speaker(think debates/quizzes etc)so i think that could work too. The negative side is,they don't pay very well. The ones i asked about were paying between 5 to 10k a month and they're not near my house so i'd have to take a bus. Verry nice ideas though,Uju. Keep 'em coming!
Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by fattynaija: 1:00am On Jan 30, 2011
At 17, i will suggest that you should plan for the future if you have passion for something,for example fashiondesign just find a very good one in your area,let them know you will only be coming anytime the school is on strike or on holiday,if not fashion design it can be something else,something you like doing,dont go for something you dont like.
Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by OAM4J: 6:41am On Jan 31, 2011
Ujujoan:

I was the last born and somehow got everything I needed.

No wonder! cheesy

@OP
Sorry I dont know what to suggest, but like Uju said you have a good head on your shoulder. Some other girls of your age would have been thinking of 'cheap/ugly' means of raising the money.

Your parents should be proud of you.
Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by Atreides(f): 6:49am On Jan 31, 2011
@fattnaija,the only thing i have a passion for is writing,so i'm not the least bit interested in fashion designing/music/acting/worreva.
@Oam4j,thanks!
Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by Knight1(m): 7:29am On Jan 31, 2011
then write
novels- once its good, you'll get publishers
articles/ commentaries- i know there was a time newspapers & mags used to pay people for their articles.
poems- just like novels, once they are tight, you'll get a publisher
Re: What Jobs Can A Nigerian Teenager Living In Nigeria Do? Practical Suggestions Please! by fattynaija: 10:40am On Jan 31, 2011
It is a good thing you know what you want.I will suggest you start with children story book.

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Do When Your Husband Refuse To Pick Your Call Anytime He Is In D Clu / Woman Divorces Her Husband Of 25 Years For Turning Her Into A Punching Bag / My Husband Says I've Changed From the Person I Was

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.