Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,065 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? (527 Views)

Walter Onnoghen Resigns As The Chief Justice Of Nigeria With Immediate Effect / FACT CHECK: Is Tanko Mohammed Qualified To Be The Chief Justice Of Nigeria? / Does The President Have The Constitutional Power To Suspend The Chief Justice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by eaddyboy: 9:25am On May 13, 2020
So Professor Ibrahim Gambari is now the new chief of Staff

Just a quick one here, I have been having this thoughts going by events and reactions of the pass few weeks since the death of Abba Kyari the late chief of staff to the president.

I just want to get it straight does the Chief of Staff answer only to president Buhari ? What's the role of the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo here as it relates to the Chief of staff office, isn't it supposed to be President, Vice-president, then chief of staff in an hierarchical format ? Or can't they operate a triangular relationship type of government ?

Why is it that the Chief of staff is the right hand man to the president instead of his elected and trusted Vice President that ran the Presidential race with him

And is the office of the chief of staff to the president above that of the Vice president ?

Nairalanders - I need clarification on this please

Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by Tomide007: 9:32am On May 13, 2020
eaddyboy:

Just a quick one here, I have been having this thoughts going by events and reactions of the pass few weeks since the death of Abba Kyari the late chief of staff to the president.

I just want to get it straight does the Chief of Staff answer only to president Buhari ? What's the role of the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo here as it relates to the Chief of staff office, isn't it supposed to be President, Vice-president, then chief of staff in an hierarchical format ? Or can't they operate a triangular relationship type of government ?

Why is it that the Chief of staff is the right hand man to the president instead of his elected and trusted Vice President that ran the Presidential race with him

And is the office of the chief of staff to president above the Vice president ?

The chief of staff's role is to book appointments for the president, collect documents on behalf of the president etc. More like Executive Assistant to the CEO. He shouldn't even be as powerful as the SSA on any matter or SGF self........Nah buhari turn am otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by okefrancis: 9:33am On May 13, 2020
The OP should get the nigeria �� constitution and read it well so that it will profer the answers to his questuon
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by Golan007: 9:34am On May 13, 2020
Look up Donald Regan who was COS under Ronald Reagan.
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by maybanks: 9:40am On May 13, 2020
eaddyboy:

And is the office of the chief of staff to the president above that of the Vice president ?

The Choice of the COS is of the President alone as there's also the Deputy chief of Staff who reports only to the Vice President. Invariably, both the President band the Vice President have their own Chief of Staffs. Check out Ade Ipaye on Google and you will have to thanke later

1 Like

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by eaddyboy: 9:41am On May 13, 2020
okefrancis:
The OP should get the nigeria �� constitution and read it well so that it will profer the answers to his questuon
Are we really practicing or following the constitution 100% in this country
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by eaddyboy: 9:43am On May 13, 2020
maybanks:

The Choice of the COS is of the President alone as there's also the Deputy chief of Staff who reports only to the Vice President. Invariably, both the President band the Vice President have their own Chief of Staffs. Check out Ade Ipaye on Google and you will have to thanke later
So we have a deputy chief of staff that is answerable to the vice president too! Nice...I don learn something new be that todaycheesy

1 Like

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by helinues: 9:45am On May 13, 2020
He wasn't elected instead he was appointed by the president.

His role depends on his relationship with the president..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by eaddyboy: 9:47am On May 13, 2020
helinues:
He wasn't elected instead he was appointed..

To answer only to the President and be above the Vice President ?
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by Petrodirect: 9:47am On May 13, 2020
Yes
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by bigiyaro(m): 9:48am On May 13, 2020
the CoS is just a glorified house boy to the president, as in... knock..knock who's there? its me, minister of women and fvcking, your oga dey house? Wait I dey come... (runs to bubu's bedroom) oga one minister dey find you. OK, tellam say I dey come. OK sir. em, minister pls siddon, oga dey come. That's the work of CoS.
Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by PresidentAde(m): 9:48am On May 13, 2020
eaddyboy:

The chief of staff is not as powerful as the vice president ( According to the Constitution )...but politically he's as powerful as the president.
The major function of the COS is to coordinate & arrange his boss schedule, mostimes to arrange meetings, deals, debrief HODs on behalf of his boss....
If he doesn't like you, trust me, his boss is likely not to like you either. so everyone wants to be in his good books, thereby respecting him indirectly making him powerful.
Actions taken by the COS on Appointee's, ministers, Head of Agencies etc are deemed as action taken by the president .
Everyone in the cabinet reports to the COS, he then books you for a one on one with the president if he seems fit.
There's an office in every Presidency called , office of the chief of staff, that where his team function from, COS is not a one man party, they usually have researchers, etc working within .
The Cos is always very powerful in any political Cline, anywhere in the world.
The VP also have his own Cos, who is like a deputy in rank to the president's cos.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by helinues: 9:50am On May 13, 2020
eaddyboy:
To answer only to the President and be above the Vice President ?

Chief of staff position is not above VP position

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by ekorian: 10:01am On May 13, 2020
Golan007:
Look up Donald Regan who was COS under Ronald Reagan.
James Baker, d man that helped 3 US Presidents into office. The man that truly understands d workings of d white house.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Chief Of Staff Accountable Only To The President ? by eaddyboy: 10:44am On May 13, 2020
PresidentAde:

The chief of staff is not as powerful as the vice president ( According to the Constitution )...but politically he's as powerful as the president.
The major function of the COS is to coordinate & arrange his boss schedule, mostimes to arrange meetings, deals, debrief HODs on behalf of his boss....
If he doesn't like you, trust me, his boss is likely not to like you either. so everyone wants to be in his good books, thereby respecting him indirectly making him powerful.
Actions taken by the COS on Appointee's, ministers, Head of Agencies etc are deemed as action taken by the president .
Everyone in the cabinet reports to the COS, he then books you for a one on one with the president if he seems fit.
There's an office in every Presidency called , office of the chief of staff, that where his team function from, COS is not a one man party, they usually have researchers, etc working within .
The Cos is always very powerful in any political Cline, anywhere in the world.
The VP also have his own Cos, who is like a deputy in rank to the president's cos.
Just what I needed

Very well analysed and explained! Thank you

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Umahi Bans Movement Of Cattle In Ebonyi, / Executive Order: Withhold Legislature, Judiciary Cash, Lose Your Allocations, FG / Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar Has Given Kudos To All Progressives Congres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.