Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port (25280 Views)

Container Vessel Berths At Onne Port (Photos) / Maerskline Plans To Dump Lagos Ports For Onne Port, Stakeholders React / First Largest Container Vessel Berth In Onne Port After 12 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Blue3k2: 1:41pm On May 15, 2020
By Eromosele Abiodun

Customs agents and other port workers at the Rivers and Onne Ports have called on the federal government to come to their rescue following their arrests by the Rivers State COVID-19 task force on the orders of Governor Nyesom Wike.

The arrests they said has led to the loss of their investments and perishable consignments slated for export.

The governor, who has imposed a 24-hour lockdown on Port Harcourt and Obi Akpor Local Government areas over the COVID-19 pandemic, refused to place port workers under essential duty.

This is contrary to the guidelines of the Presidential Task Force of COVID-19 which classified port operations as essential services.

The federal government had said despite lockdown, ports should remain open to trade so as to facilitate importation and delivery of essential goods, such as foods and medical supplies.

But in the last one week, many port workers, including staff of the regulatory Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), terminal operators, shipping agents and dockworkers have been arrested, with vehicles conveying them to work impounded.

The Managing Director of Africa Atlantic International Agencies, Daniel Kalu, said the vessel transporting his consignment of 4,500 metric tons of frozen mackerel fish worth millions of euros have been unable to berth at the Rivers Port for about two weeks, a situation which he said could make his company lose the entire consignment.

"Even if we get the consignment out now, we already would have lost half of our investment because the fish has lost quality and we won't be able to sell at the standard price," he said.

"That is not to speak of the demurrage that we must pay to ship owners for keeping their vessels longer than expected. We pay a demurrage of $7800 per day," he added.

He noted that the same vessel had called in and discharged cargo at the Lagos Ports before heading into Port Harcourt where activities are on standstill.

Another consignee, Olufemi MacJulius of Fejudam Shipping Services, said the vessel carrying his bulk cargo of wheat is waiting at neighbouring Bonny because it cannot approach Port Harcourt as a result of the lockdown.

"We pay a demurrage of $15 every day because the vessel is not able to berth as a result of the fact that port workers, including pilots and stevedores cannot come to work out of fear of arrest and detention, if not prosecution by the Rivers state government," he said.

A vessel laden with a consignment of Muriate of Potash is unable to berth at the Onne Ports as a result of the same situation.

The inability to discharge this consignment may affect planting this year, given that the rains are already here.

The port users expressed worry that apart from the losses that investors in perishable goods like frozen fish and wheat for food processing would incur from the closure of the ports, the situation would affect the food supply chain in the south-south and south-east regions of the country as well as the image of Nigeria in the international maritime community.

The Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN) had threatened a nationwide protest over arrest of 20 dockworkers in the state.

The association had said being essential services providers, the dock workers ought to be allowed to work at all seaports in the country, especially as most seaports are under the ownership and control of the federal government.

"We wish to use this medium to state that if nothing is done to effect the release of our members, the union will have no option but to withdraw our services in the entire nation's seaport, terminals and jetties in solidarity with our detained members as an injury to one is an injury to all," MUWN said in a statement signed by Adewale Adeyanju, its president-general.

"We were informed that the affected dockworkers were returning from essential service operations to BUA/PTOL terminal, Port Harcourt and were unlawfully and forcefully arrested, and detained by Rivers State Taskforce on enforcing COVID-19 Lockdown."

According Adeyanju, all entreaties made by the dockworkers to the task force team led by Wike, that they were on essential services fell on deaf ears even though they presented duly signed "Essential Duty Port Pass" issued by the NPA.

Source: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/05/15/investors-decry-wikes-shutdown-of-rivers-onne-port/

4 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Blue3k2: 1:44pm On May 15, 2020
He noted that the same vessel had called in and discharged cargo at the Lagos Ports before heading into Port Harcourt where activities are on standstill.

Lol Tyrant Wike shut down the ports to serve lagos as instructed by Lord Tinubu. These power drunk mumus are deadlier than any virus. The federal government is weak for allowing the state governor to shut down federal properties. If there was time to flex federal might this would be the it.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by BranddesignerH: 1:45pm On May 15, 2020
I was in Onne the Day He supervised the Demolition of the Hotel. And I can tell you there was a free flow of human and motorists as well.

All beer parlo, including restaurants, shops and All 220+ Oil and gas companies in the Area are in their full operation except banks and Hotels

Abeg joor I will Design a Professional Logo for your Product or Services for 2k Only. Please see my signature.

20 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Goldenheart(m): 2:28pm On May 15, 2020
This is a typical case of Hyperactivity and Overzealousness combo...

7 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by gambia(m): 2:29pm On May 15, 2020
Wike my man.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by salbis(m): 2:29pm On May 15, 2020
Long live Emperor Wike. grin grin

18 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by oyewale0001(m): 2:29pm On May 15, 2020
It is well.

1 Like

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Erhun10z: 2:30pm On May 15, 2020
Despite all these, Rivers cases still increasing
Making me wonder where they are coming from

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Slawormir: 2:30pm On May 15, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Wike my real niggarrr. Not only a real niggarrr but the boss niggarrr

Shut down and demolish any Moda fuckkker who fails to comply with your directives

4 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by pablobellins(m): 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Be a reaallll niggarrrrr cheesy this WIKE 'dness is getting too much.

7 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by bomasek(m): 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
I believe this occurred during the lockdown not now

2 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by koolguy88(m): 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
Wike shut down seaport, this is unbelievable. But if that is true then he must be mad!

3 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Globad(f): 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
temptnow:
Rubbish, in wike we stand

Continue

5 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Blue3k2: 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
The port users expressed worry that apart from the losses that investors in perishable goods like frozen fish and wheat for food processing would incur from the closure of the ports, the situation would affect the food supply chain in the south-south and south-east regions of the country as well as the image of Nigeria in the international maritime community.

Rivers states government is foolish. Only these clowns would go out their way to cause economic damage worse than the virus itself. Alot of tyrant lovers stand with wike's foolishness.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by ideabuilder: 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
Give this Man his own Covid-19 allocation now.

5 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Cantonese: 2:31pm On May 15, 2020
Partial normalcy should restore in a few days.

3 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by SamuelAnyawu(m): 2:32pm On May 15, 2020
Shutting down will never reduce the spread of Corona. The virus is not lethal here like Europe.

Wike abeg allow goods enter oh men must anchor fings smiley

3 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by ricson11(m): 2:32pm On May 15, 2020
On the beat is Wike the wicked producer

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 15, 2020
Written By Eromosele Abiodun

2 Likes

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by ransomed: 2:33pm On May 15, 2020
His Excellency, Gov. Nyesom Wike is working......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Exc2000: 2:34pm On May 15, 2020
cool

I wonder what Wike plans to achieve, Lagos are cashing out based on his stupidity

Even as an APC supporter, I really miss President Olusegun Obasanjo ebora owu... no living or dead governor can try this with Obasanjo

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Dantedasz(m): 2:35pm On May 15, 2020
BranddesignerH:
I was in Onne the Day He supervised the Demolition of the Hotel. And I can tell you there was a free flow of human and motorists as well.

All beer parlo, including restaurants shops are all open without any restrictions

Abeg joor I will Design a Professional Logo for your Product or Services for 2k Only. Please see my signature.

There is no lockdown of Onne area but people working in Onne Port that live in PH and Obio Akpor local govt areas and commute to Onne everyday cannot get to the port because of the task force!
The port is open but workers cannot get to the Port.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by israelmao(m): 2:36pm On May 15, 2020
Wike seems to behave like someone who has some small portion of blood seeped into his brain this day.
Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by Confirmedzombie: 2:36pm On May 15, 2020
See how the Igbos criminals above me are hailing wike.

Igbos indeed will hail wike to destruction. Time will tell.

Igbos are very disgusting, full of hate, bitterness, I wonder how this Igbos terorists sleep at night.

Tufiakwa

19 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2015: Gej Should Drop Sambo For Chime / Ambode, LASTMA In Face-Off Over Traffic Gridlocks / APC Members Hold Rally For Their Candidates In Benue (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.