Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots (1720 Views)

Burundi VP Flees Country Amid 3rd Term Bid / Fashola To Be Honoured Internationally Alongside Tunisian President, Others For / Charles Eruka Reporting Live In Rivers Amidst Gunshot (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Missy85(f): 9:29pm On Jan 14, 2011
Following weeks of riots by youths fed up with unemployment, alleged govt corruption, Tunisian President, who had been in power for 23yrs has FLED the country.

A lesson in people power?

Can we achieve in Nigeria what Tunisian youths have achieved for themselves or is the fear of death an impregnable barrier to fighting our own cause?

Pls provide a link if you can - I cant with my mobile.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Tsiya(m): 10:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
Tunisia's President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali has stepped down after 23 years in power, amid widespread protests on the streets of the capital Tunis.

In a televised address, Prime Minister Mohammed Ghannouchi said he would be taking over from the president.

A state of emergency was declared earlier, as weeks of protests over economic issues snowballed into rallies against Mr Ben Ali's rule.

Unconfirmed reports say Mr Ben Ali and his family have left Tunisia.

The reports suggest that the deposed president is looking for a place of asylum, with French media saying that French President Nicolas Sarkozy has turned down a request for his plane to land in France.

Earlier, police fired tear gas as thousands of protesters gathered outside the interior ministry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12195025

Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by MAYOWAAK: 10:58pm On Jan 14, 2011
Today it is Tunisia, last weekend it was Southern Sudan. When will Nigerian oppressed class start their own people-engineered REVOLUTION? When? Instead of running overseas to enjoy what other people of those countries suffered to entrench in their countries, Nigerians in diaspora and home should brace up to start a revolution and chase most all those faces I saw at Eagles square on 13 January 2011 away to exile.
When will your suffering end Nigerians? When will you have real independence and not flag independence? Nigerians: why do you hate yourselves like this?
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 14, 2011
It is Impossible for that to happen in nigeria,our government and security agencies take joy in mass kiling,take for instance the jtf killings in niger delta and other situations that is undemocratic.finaly what am saying is we are not a civilised country, so expect a shoot at sight order to the military by the government.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 14, 2011
It is Impossible for that to happen in nigeria,our government and security agencies take joy in mass kiling,take for instance the jtf killings in niger delta and other situations that is undemocratic.finaly what am saying is we are not a civilised country, so expect a shoot at sight order to the military by the government.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Missy85(f): 11:33pm On Jan 14, 2011
i agree, the casualty from a popular uprising against a sitting govt in nigeria will be large.

a nigeria govt wont think twice about kiling thousands to keep hold of power.

There's an option that will bring down the govt & the entire political class fairly quickly and with minimal casualty, but it's not one i can discuss,,,publicly. and it doesnt involve a coup.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by edoyad(m): 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2011
i agree, the casualty from a popular uprising against a sitting govt in nigeria will be large. a nigeria govt wont think twice about kiling thousands to keep hold of power. There's an option that will bring down the govt & the entire political class fairly quickly and with minimal casualty, but it's not one i can discuss,,,publicly. and it doesnt involve a coup.

Really ?
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by vandops(m): 11:48pm On Jan 14, 2011
Missy85:

i agree, the casualty from a popular uprising against a sitting govt in nigeria will be large.

There's an option that will bring down the govt & the entire political class fairly quickly and with minimal casualty, but it's not one i can discuss,,,publicly. and it doesnt involve a coup.

I'm all eyes and ears.let's rub mind
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Missy85(f): 12:04am On Jan 15, 2011
I can be done for a 'high' state crime even for discussing it. Nigerian officianados wont dinstiguish btw 'discussing' and 'advocating.'

I'm convinced the SSS are active on this forum.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Osama10(m): 12:23am On Jan 15, 2011
Missy85:

I can be done for a 'high' state crime even for discussing it. Nigerian officianados wont dinstiguish btw 'discussing' and 'advocating.'

Very very true. lipsrsealed
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 15, 2011
The only way nigeria could be revolutionised is through a democratic process by forming a strong opposistion party with men and women of reputation that can challange the pdp.i dont think violence or any type of protest can effect change in nigeria because it will only lead to civilian bloodshed.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Nobody: 12:56am On Jan 15, 2011
The only way nigeria could be revolutionised is through a democratic process by forming a strong opposistion party with men and women of reputation that can challange the pdp.i dont think violence or any type of protest can effect change in nigeria because it will only lead to civilian bloodshed.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by vandops(m): 4:54am On Jan 15, 2011
Missy85:

u got a point there, have to figure out another platform

Emzybrown:

we wouldnt know until we try, we can just sit and speculate over what might happen or not,
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by daphil: 7:41am On Jan 15, 2011
"Today it is Tunisia, last weekend it was Southern Sudan. When will Nigerian oppressed class start their own people-engineered REVOLUTION? When? Instead of running overseas to enjoy what other people of those countries suffered to entrench in their countries, Nigerians in diaspora and home should brace up to start a revolution and chase most all those faces I saw at Eagles square on 13 January 2011 away to exile.
When will your suffering end Nigerians? When will you have real independence and not flag independence? Nigerians: why do you hate yourselves like this?"

@MAYOWAK

Are you a Nigerian?
If yes; until you begin to see yourself as part of the project called Nigeria.
Solution may not be on the way. Same thing with all of us.
It is a collective effort. cool cool cool
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by philip0906(m): 7:42am On Jan 15, 2011
What happened in Tunisia,is the only way out for this country.Until we all come 2 the realisation that we've been oppresed 4 years,come 2gether 2 kick 'em out,we'll remain where we are.Unfortunately,I fear that might not happen as we're still in a moment of "temporal bliss",with elections approaching and all the manifesto dat won't change lives and all d jonathan thingy,like bloke has never ruled us b4.
Missy85:

Missy85:

My sister,I'm not sure d Tunisians cared if anyone was watching 'em.U have a point though,but we still need 2 be bold and courageous,else we'll remain where we are.This country sucks.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by klas(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2011
The whole thing started about a month ago (mid december) when a 26 years old unemployed graduate committed suicide because the tunisian police confiscated the vegetable & fruits that he was selling without permit. The press reported it and people rose up in anger. In naija, even if a whole town had committed suicide, it would just be matter arising. We are very 'understanding' people.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by OAM4J: 8:10am On Jan 15, 2011
Missy85:

Yes, I am SSS. You have been classified as a person of Serious Security Interest. You need to see me asap for interrogation at my nearest house, after which I will declassify you. grin grin grin
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Bisijohn: 8:38am On Jan 15, 2011
Let the revolution-a peaceful change start from the individuals. Nigeria is just a country of Nigerians. Nigerians should resolve to do the right things,whelther in power or out of power. When we all choose to do the right thing, the desired change will come. When those in power see it as service to the people not to accummulate wealth,and oppress people. Until we change our mindset about what we place value on, the desired change may not come. Re-orientation of every Nigerian is the only thing that can bring about any meaningful change in Nigeria. If not, why should I kill my fellow man because of drunk for power? Why should I loot treasury and launder the money abroad, the money that I may not live to enjoy? Why should I stay put in power,denying others that have the mind of service to get there? What will I gain if refuse to render service that will afffect the down trodden positively?
The revolution we all need is a change of mindset and what we place value on.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 15, 2011
tribalism is the problem

it will degenerate into tribe a is trying to get one over tribe b
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by udezue(m): 9:05am On Jan 15, 2011
GBAM @ Oyb

The best is to split up or just stay together and rot together which I don't is right.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Jenifa1: 9:09am On Jan 15, 2011
Missy85:

Following weeks of riots by youths fed up with unemployment, alleged govt corruption, Tunisian President, who had been in power for 23yrs has FLED the country.

A lesson in people power?

Can we achieve in Nigeria what Tunisian youths have achieved for themselves or is the fear of death an impregnable barrier to fighting our own cause?

Pls provide a link if you can - I cant with my mobile.

!!!!! good question!!

social media played a role too. I think it is possible. It reminds me of the lightupnaija fad a while ago.
to me, if they put effort to it, the youth can be mobilized to do great things.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Sagamite(m): 9:53am On Jan 15, 2011
OAM4J:

Yes, I am SSS. You have been classified as a person of Serious Security Interest. You need to see me asap for interrogation at my nearest house, after which I will declassify you. grin grin grin

She has to be thoroughly assessed and be passed through in immigration before SSS can interrogate her.

- Sagamite, Head Immigration Officer at "point of entry" (in all senses of the phrase)
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Katsumoto: 10:01am On Jan 15, 2011
OAM4J:

Sagamite:

She has to be thoroughly assessed and be passed through immigration before SSS can interrogate her.

- Sagamite, Head Immigration Officer at "point of entry" (in all senses of the phrase)

See these ashewos - Interrogation ati assessed ko, subjugation ati pressing ni. grin
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by doyin13(m): 10:22am On Jan 15, 2011
This kind of revolution is much easier when there is a figurehead for the public to direct its anger.

Nigeria's corruption is quite democratic and especially so in this ''democratic'' dispensation.

There are no bars to accessing public funds. . .well, maybe there is. A secondary school leaving certificate.

So long as each Nigerian thinks there is a chance for him or her or a relative to have a turn at the loot
or some unscrupulous venture, it is simply not profitable to participate in a revolution where the costs
are life itself.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Sagamite(m): 10:30am On Jan 15, 2011
doyin13:

This kind of revolution is much easier when there is a figurehead for the public to direct its anger.

Nigeria's corruption is quite democratic and especially so in this ''democratic'' dispensation.

There are no bars to accessing public funds. . .well, maybe there is. A secondary school leaving certificate.

So long as each Nigerian thinks there is a chance for him or her or a relative to have a turn at the loot
or some unscrupulous venture, it is simply not profitable to participate in a revolution where the costs
are life itself.

Fantastic point!!!

Especially when added to this.

oyb:

tribalism is the problem

it will degenerate into tribe a is trying to get one over tribe b

And the fact that in a certain section of Nigeria, it is not the culture of the people to question their leaders, it is seen as an abomination and uncouth. They are just expected to do what they are told (including using their lives to defend their oppressors interest). And the disparity in lifestyle & assets between the ones on top and the ones at the bottom of the food chain is seen as an acceptable norm and the way things should be and pervades the entire culture more than other areas.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Missy85(f): 10:41am On Jan 15, 2011
OAM, Sagamite,,,abomination!!!

back to the point kia kia
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by OAM4J: 4:37pm On Jan 15, 2011
Sagamite:

She has to be thoroughly assessed and be passed through in immigration before SSS can interrogate her.

Chief, when/if am done with her, I will send her to you. Someone with such vital statistics information should not be allowed to walk around freely.

Katsumoto:

See these ashewos - Interrogation ati assessed ko, subjugation ati pressing ni. grin

Hmnnn, I sense someone is envious and jealous of my job. You can apply for similar job mate, there many ladies persons of serious security interest needing interrogation grin

Missy85:

OAM, Sagamite,,,abomination!!!

back to the point kia kia

Young woman, we can do this either the easy or the hard way, but i advise you choose the easy way. You can start by giving me your vital statistics/profile picture, and report to me withing the next 24hrs else. . . angry grin
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Jenifa1: 6:54am On Jan 16, 2011
can we stay on topic plz grin
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Sagamite(m): 7:07am On Jan 16, 2011
OAM4J:

Chief, when/if am done with her, I will send her to you. Someone with such vital statistics information should not be allowed to walk around freely.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmT_50IsEgM[/flash]
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by edicolove: 8:45am On Jan 16, 2011
Sorry Sorry Nigerians posting cowardly posts here on NL. You guys just sit your asses here in front of your computer, insult the government all day and when someone suggest you come out for a revolution what do you say?

"well they might kill us ", "well we are not powerful enough", "well they will shoot at sight". Bloody Whining cowards! This is why Nigeria will never change. Because all of you are cowards and none of you should ever insult any politician again because you are all as guilty as them. Not willing to even give a foot for the struggle. Not willing to sacrifice anything. I guess many of you will not even come out to register let alone vote. You lot make me wanna cry. Where is your determination. I guess it is only on paper. You can post on NL i guess. It costs nothing.

I feel disappointed reading all the lousy cowardly posts above. Something has to happen and I guess sooner or later, the war will come to you guys and you will not be asking if you want to join or not. You will be forced to join or be destroyed. Why do we hate ourselves so much. Why do we hate our country so much. It pains me!
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by Sagamite(m): 9:46am On Jan 16, 2011
edicolove:

Sorry Sorry Nigerians posting cowardly posts here on NL. You guys just sit your asses here in front of your computer, insult the government all day and when someone suggest you come out for a revolution what do you say?

"well they might kill us ", "well we are not powerful enough", "well they will shoot at sight". Bloody Whining cowards! This is why Nigeria will never change. Because all of you are cowards and none of you should ever insult any politician again because you are all as guilty as them. Not willing to even give a foot for the struggle. Not willing to sacrifice anything. I guess many of you will not even come out to register let alone vote. You lot make me wanna cry. Where is your determination. I guess it is only on paper. You can post on NL i guess. It costs nothing.

I feel disappointed reading all the lousy cowardly posts above. Something has to happen and I guess sooner or later, the war will come to you guys and you will not be asking if you want to join or not. You will be forced to join or be destroyed. Why do we hate ourselves so much. Why do we hate our country so much. It pains me!

Kindly remind us what you have done in the revolution so far.
Re: After 23yrs In Office, Tunisian President Flees Country Amidst Riots by edicolove: 10:01am On Jan 16, 2011
Kindly remind us what you have done in the revolution so far.

Good. In the heat of 1993 an 1994, when the country was going thru the June 12 saga, I was at the forefront of the struggle, leading the lines in the ancient city of Benin. I dont fear revolution and this is not trying to be boastful.

In the famous words of General Bernard Bee: "Look! There is Jackson standing like a Stonewall! Let us determine to die here today and we will conquer, Rally behind the Virginians!"

The painful part is that a Nigerian revolution will not even be bloody because the so called elites are not as fearless as you lot have made them to be. The problem is that the Nigerian masses are cowards and they will continue to give excuses for their cowardice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osama Bin Laden And His Years As An Arsenal Fan / Satellite Pictures: Boko Haram Knows mathematics That Why They Are Bombing You. / Wake Alu 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.