Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD (6137 Views)

How A Huge Snake Was Removed From A Car Wheel (video) / Lets Debate This: Fuel Consumption Between A Honda And Toyota / The New 2019 Honda Insight Looks Just Like A Honda Accord/civic Hybrid. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by psalmz(m): 6:59am On May 18, 2020
I plan purchasing a Honda Accord 04 this week,seen one,body is still standard,engine sounds fine,checked the exhaust,no unnecessary black carbon on it,Brown on the inside,water still flows out from it,just minor fixes to be made,just wanna confirm how do I know the catalyst is still in order
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 8:00am On May 18, 2020
psalmz:
I plan purchasing a Honda Accord 04 this week,seen one,body is still standard,engine sounds fine,checked the exhaust,no unnecessary black carbon on it,Brown on the inside,water still flows out from it,just minor fixes to be made,just wanna confirm how do I know the catalyst is still in order

Are you aware that you will remove it when it becomes a problem.

Catalyst or not should not stop you from buying a good car with a good deal.

2 Likes

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by psalmz(m): 8:10am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

but what of the fuel consumption
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 8:16am On May 18, 2020
psalmz:
but what of the fuel consumption

If you want the catalyst, its 20-30k for that model. Its more important to have a sound car than chase catalyst up and down.

5 Likes

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 8:28am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

He should remove and replace and not just remove.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 8:31am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

If you want the catalyst, it'sss 20-30k for that model. It's more important to have a right car than chase catalyst up and down.

You are right, but having catalyst converter along with working oxygen sensors on that car is essential though.

For the price you are quoting, it will get one those cheap ones from China that one might need to change in a few months. Original like OEM ones go for between N70,000-N100,000 and will last for years.

2 Likes

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by psalmz(m): 8:41am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

You are right but having catalyst converter along with working oxygen sensors on that car is important though.

For the price you are quoting, it will get one those cheap ones from China that one might to change in few months time. Original like OEM ones go for between N70,000-N100,000 and will last for years.
wow that’s much,but I just need to know if there are ways of checking if it’s still
Intact
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:58am On May 18, 2020
Meh, cats aren't useful.
#NoCatGang

1 Like

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 9:13am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

He should remove and replace and not just remove.

Does he have to replace?
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 9:54am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

Does he have to replace?

No expert in the automotive industry will tell anyone to be driving any car, not even Honda accord 2004 without catalytic converter that works along with oxygen sensors to give the vehicle optimum performance and long life of its engine.
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 9:59am On May 18, 2020
psalmz:
wow that’s much, but I just need to know if there are ways of checking if it’s still
Intact

Scan the car and/or take a competent panel beater there to check.

Don't be deceived if the dashboard of the car is not showing check engine light. I have seen the same model of car which its catalytic converter was already removed, and its check engine light blocked, but it showed up after one week or so.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 10:02am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

No expert in the automotive industry will tell anyone to be driving any car, not even Honda accord 2004 without catalytic converter that works along with oxygen sensors to give the vehicle optimum performance and long life of its engine.

The Honda engineers that produced some European and Asian models without catalytic converters are not automotive industry experts abi?

2 Likes

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 10:17am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

The Honda engineers that produced some European and Asian models without catalytic converters are not automotive industry experts abi?

We are talking about Honda accord 2004 here and not new models that don't have due to technology advancement.
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by jeraw: 10:19am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

kindly list out the European models without cars. Thanks
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by jeraw: 10:20am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

kindly list out the European models without cats. Thanks
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by psalmz(m): 10:28am On May 18, 2020
Na wa ooo,I only asked a question,everyone is entitled to their opinion,I am open to learning,not insults,pls all these will lead no where

1 Like

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 10:38am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

We are talking about Honda accord 2004 here and not new models that don't have due to technology advancement.

I used a 2007 Toyota Prado bought brand new without Catalyst.
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 10:50am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

Congrats! !!

If you read my posts very well, you will see that I never said it is compulsory but advisable because of the benefits attached to it.

But I was contributing based on the Honda Accord 2004 you talked about in your original post.

Besides, you claim to be using prado without catalyst. Why are you now concerned about it in this so-called Honda accord 2004 that you want to buy?

I'm smelling lies somewhere with that except if the prado is not yours but that of your oga.

I am not buying a 2004 Honda accord.

I never claimed to own a Prado but I used one for 3yrs.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 10:56am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

I am not buying a 2004 Honda accord.

I never claimed to own a Prado, but I used one for 3yrs.

Sorry! !!

I mis-took you for OP while quoting as I was multi-tasking here.
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 11:02am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

Sorry! !!

I mis-took you for OP while quoting as I was multi-tasking here.

The only reason I cannot confirm to you that a 2004 Accord made in Europe or Asia has or doesn't have a catalyst is because I never owned nor had access to one and cannot confirm.

If i have confirmed that 3 2007 Toyotas dont have catalyst, your guess will be as good as mine. It is plausible for a 2004 Honda accord to not have it.

It is the laws in the US that made every Honda accord in that country to have the catalyst. It is not a basic component of a drive train, it is an emission control component so you dont find it in every car and in every country. If we should produce cars in Nigeria, without the necessary law, no one will put Catalyst in their cars. Its presence in cars reduces performance and fuel economy.

1 Like

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 11:06am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

The only reason I cannot confirm to you that a 2004 Accord made in Europe or Asia has or doesn't have a catalyst is that I never owned one and cannot confirm.

If i have confirmed that 3 2007 Toyotas dont have catalyst, your guess will be as good as mine. It is plausible for a 2004 Honda accord to not have it.

It is the laws in the US that made every Honda accord in that country to have the catalyst. It is not a basic component of a drive train, it is an emision control component so you dont find it in every car and in every country. If we should producr vehicles in Nigeria, without the necessary law, no one will put Catalyst in their vehicles.

I don't have any reason whatsoever to argue with you as it is your own opinion that catalytic converter is not useful in vehicles.

I own a 2005 Honda accord since 2016, help clients to inspect much of 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 etc models of the accord and I'm here advising OP based on my experience.

Modified
Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by adanny01(m): 11:26am On May 18, 2020
legalwealth:

I don't have any reason whatever to argue with you as [b]it is your own opinion that catalytic converter is not useful in vehicles. I own a 2005 Honda accord since 2016, and I'm here advising OP based on my experience.[/b]

It is not my opinion that Catalyst is not useful.

I also own a 2003 Honda Accord since 2014.

In the US, you must pass an emissions test to legally drive the car but not in Nigeria. That means if you have a bad cat in the US, you must fix it but its a choice here.

Here, it was only by luck that my engine didn't develop problems due to block catalyst. A 2003-7 will forgive a blocked catalyst but a 2008-12 will not.

The 2003-7 has its exhaust flange gasket before the Cat and the 2008-12 has the gasket after the Cat. The saviour is the gasket will burn and leak when the cat is blocked in the 2003-7 but in the 2008-12, the back pressure has no relief and goes to the engine damaging rings and valves.

Catalyst has its use if you care about the environment or you are being legally required to use it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do One Know A Catalyst Has Being Removed From A Honda 04 Accord Aka EOD by legalwealth(m): 11:30am On May 18, 2020
adanny01:

It is not my opinion that Catalyst is not useful.

I also own a 2003 Honda Accord since 2014.

In the US, you must pass an emissions test to legally drive the car but not in Nigeria. That means if you have a bad cat in the US, you must fix it but its a choice here.

Here, it was only by luck that my engine didn't develop problems due to block catalyst. A 2003-7 will forgive a blocked catalyst but a 2008-12 will not.

The 2003-7 has its exhaust flange gasket before the Cat and the 2008-12 has the gasket after the Cat. The saviour is the gasket will burn and leak when the cat is blocked in the 2003-7 but in the 2008-12, the back pressure has no relief and goes to the engine damaging rings and valves.

Catalyst has its use if you care about the environment or you are being legally required to use it.

Ok but you said up there that you never owned or have access to 2004 Honda accord.

But since you said you have 03 accord since 2014, 03, 04,05 are more like the same thing just with some few changes, did you have or removed its catalytic converter?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Reliable Are Mazda Cars.... / Thinking Of Buying A Corolla Sport. What Are The Pros And Cons? / ..... Volvo xc90 the most Underrated SUV ever.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.