Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation (28407 Views)

Senate Considers Bill To Blacklist Loan Defaulters / Supreme Court: PDP Uncovers APC’s Plot To Frustrate Reversal Of Imo Judgment / Imo: PDP calls for reversal of verdict, resignation of CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Mywifeisawitch: 5:33am On May 20, 2020
The Senate on Tuesday asked the Federal Government to consider a comprehensive review of the power privatisation policy with a view to reversing the current arrangement.
The red chamber said Nigerians would not enjoy stable power supply in the next 10 years if the activities of the distribution companies were not reviewed and restructured .
The Senate President , Ahmad Lawan , stated this on Tuesday after the Senate had considered and approved a motion by Senator Gabriel Suswan on the power sector recovery plan .
He said , “ We gave power to them ( power generation and distribution companies ) and they still come to the public to ask for funds.
“ I think it ’ s time for Nigeria to consider reversing the privatisation of the power sector or they should just cancel the entire privatisation process completely .
“ If we leave it , we may not have power for another 10 years.”
Lawan said, “ The privatisation of the power sector has , so far , not been successful. We expected efficiency and effectiveness in the power supply .
“ The Discos have no capacity to supply us power . The Gencos have challenges too .
“ It is not a good commentary that we should continue to give them money . They ’re private businesses . We need to review this privatisation .
“ Our committee needs to investigate trillions spent. That ’s a lot of money .
“ Try to find out what has happened so far. Government needs to look at this whole thing .
“ Maybe , government is not doing its own part . We need to find out .
“ There is lack of capital, lack of investment. We feel very bad because we have no electricity and the country is suffering. ”
The Senate also urged the Federal Government to suspend the planned electricity tariff increase due to take effect from July given the increased hardship occasioned by the coronavirus pandemic.
The upper chamber also commended the Federal Government for the proactive initiative to establish the N 1. 7 tn Covid- 19 crisis intervention fund to cater for critical issues on effective management of the pandemic.
Suswam , had while leading debate on the general principles of the bill , said stable and uninterrupted power supply was also a critical factor in management of COVID -19 pandemic patients at the designated isolation and treatment centres across the country .
https://punchng.com/senate-demands-immediate-reversal-of-power-privatisation/

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by PedroEastman: 5:35am On May 20, 2020

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by jumper524(m): 5:37am On May 20, 2020
Privatisation, govermentisation, PDP, and APC.
Power supply in Nigeria is still wack.

State govt needs to wake up to more responsibilities. The FG has failed in power supply.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Flyingngel(m): 5:37am On May 20, 2020
Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
With these many States will go into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.
Why is our leaders like running around a circle?

249 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by enochogaga(m): 5:41am On May 20, 2020
Hmm
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by helinues: 5:43am On May 20, 2020
grin

The Senate on Tuesday asked the Federal Government to consider a comprehensive review of the power privatisation policy with a view to reversing the current arrangement.

Misleading headline

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 6:04am On May 20, 2020
Suswan and Obj that time. Now, he moves to do what should rightly done years ago. Hypocrisy!!

-Nigerians, we are our own woes for electing quack and stomach-god mere rulers. Nigeria as a false union birthed and infiltrates corrupt spirits upon the lands. Reason the love, interest, zeal, passion, determination, patriotism, strategical ideas, and individual catalyst for change for a false united nation's progress is fainted beyond redemption, hence the "chop I chop mentality" as the almagamation is strictly business mentally and physically.

-Passion for your region is the best bet.. Secede quietly and peacefully.

13 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by daresma77: 6:06am On May 20, 2020
Abeg Make FG collect am back, Those Discos are rippers

21 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Bossontop(m): 6:13am On May 20, 2020
undecided
Bunch of clowns with nothing to offer.....just talk

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by ozome15(m): 6:14am On May 20, 2020
They simply need their own share of the money being made from power sector.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by StubbornGENIUS: 6:22am On May 20, 2020
Consider Wetin? Under Buhari regime abi.una never see anything .Though I miss the days of NEPA &PHCN.
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 6:30am On May 20, 2020
Reversal!!! When we should be privatising more government establishments on 51/49% basis..

What has Nigerian govt proven to manage properly?..

23 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by davidbanner(m): 6:33am On May 20, 2020
grin. Federal Government that can't even manage it's own affairs..

2 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Yomboy4ever(m): 6:53am On May 20, 2020
Ok
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by naija4life247: 6:57am On May 20, 2020
Sign of madness. The Senators are mad. I know a mad man when I see one because I was born at Yaba, I had my Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education at Yaba, so I pass through the psychiatric hospital at Yaba regularly and I see mad men there. So I know mad men when I see them.

Two very mad men Obasanjo and Atikuchukwu sold NEPA to themselves, their families and their friends. These are the same two idiots that now think they are Nigeria's solution.

Yar'Adua came and reversed the criminal sale.

Goatluck Jonaddaft the ineffectual buffoon and prodigal came and sold NEPA back to Obasanjo and Atikuchukwu's families and friends and now included his(Goatluck) friends also.

Only the gods can settle this matter because God has been too patient with these generational looters.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nobody: 6:57am On May 20, 2020
Naija e go better.Call the love doctor on 07034930579

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Yenny4real(f): 6:57am On May 20, 2020
I can testify authoritatively that Jos Electricity Distribution JED is doing quite well. Don't know about others. I am always impressed at their quick response to breakdowns.

I

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by temptnow: 6:58am On May 20, 2020
Even though I don't like this National assembly, but if they can take this companies from our Nigerian crooks and give to Siemens and GE I will be happy.

We all deserve to have 24 hours light by this time of 2020.

Why should our children still be watching TV from neighbors window. Cos he's the only one that has (I pass my neighbor) generator in the area.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by sweettease(f): 6:58am On May 20, 2020
Good! I'm surprised it took this long. The privatization did little to nothing to improve power supply in the country.

7 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by handie(m): 6:58am On May 20, 2020
Seriously, the privatisation of the power sector has failed in all it's entirety. While the immediate past president can and should be blamed for his handling of the process (He virtually handed over a sector as critical as electricity to friends and cronies without considering their capacity to deliver), it goes further than that. Honestly, the privatisation should be reversed, a new and comprehensive plan that'd involve a total deregulation of the sector with both generation and distribution in the hands of competent private entities who would be selected by a transparent and credible process with the government only playing a regulatory role through the BEDC. Alas, I know the above won't happen. D senate are most probably bringing this up cause they want a settlement from the Discos. Nigeria's ruling elites cannot be this selfless..... Not when Mikano generators are still in the market

7 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Babatunde40(m): 6:58am On May 20, 2020
They should reverse the nonsense. Privatization was daylight robbery of Nigerians

They can give power companies goals and standard to meet. If they don't reach those goals or perform up to that standard, they should collect the companies.

9 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Nbote(m): 6:59am On May 20, 2020
Gsj
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by ahmemmygrey(m): 6:59am On May 20, 2020
mywifeisawitch

who else found this topic uninterested because of the Moniker of the op

2 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Successmind(m): 6:59am On May 20, 2020
Clueless set of fathers and mothers.... No valuable plans for the future... Just looting and nothing more

1 Like

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Risingblue008(m): 6:59am On May 20, 2020
Flyingngel:
Can somebody tell me why this corrupt Senate will not remove transmission of power from exclusive list to concurrent list so that State government that have capacity to generate can also transmit their power to the end users and also selling the excess to states that are in short supply.
With these many States will GI into PPP to build their power plants be it Gas, Coal or Solar powered.
Why is our leaders like running around a circle?

These pple don't have us in mind

3 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by rawtouch: 6:59am On May 20, 2020
they cannot, instead of the government giving them handouts they should sell to investors that are prepared and have the resources and capacity
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by Dpharisee: 7:00am On May 20, 2020
The DISCOS are not only weak but tired, they have added little value to what they took over, they want FG to pay them trillions and takeover.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by NaijaOlosho(f): 7:00am On May 20, 2020
grin
Useless Administration
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by TallPck1(m): 7:00am On May 20, 2020
Rubber stamp Senators lol
Re: Senate Considers Reversal Of Power Privatisation by sojayy(m): 7:00am On May 20, 2020
Can't we get something right for once in this corn tree

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bode George: It’s A Pity Presidential Aspirant, Peter Obi Dumped PDP / 'unconfirmed Ministerial Nominee': Shehu Sani Mocks Imp, Religious Extremist / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.