Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,063 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Help Me Calculate My Tithe - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Help Me Calculate My Tithe (14571 Views)

Is It A Sin If I Spend My Tithe For This Month And Pay Back The Next Month? / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need / Can I Split My Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Calculate My Tithe by nairapower: 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2011
I am confused. I am a businessman. Can someone talk 2 me about Tithing. Is my tithe one tenth of my sales revenue or is it one tenth of my profit?
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by mabell: 4:31pm On Jan 17, 2011
one tenth of your profit
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2011
mabell:

one tenth of your profit

kai! business man!
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 17, 2011
nairapower:

I am confused. I am a businessman. Can someone talk 2 me about Tithing. Is my tithe one tenth of my sales revenue or is it one tenth of my profit?
of profit and of gifts
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 6:08pm On Jan 17, 2011
@nairapower
Are you are christian? If then you should know that true christians are not under any obligation to tithe. But biblical speaking tithes is strictly ten per cent of the produce of the land of Israel.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by denitro(m): 6:17pm On Jan 17, 2011
tithe is 10% of your increase
If at the beginning of the month, you were worth N500,000
and at the end of the month you are now worth N650,000

Your increase is N150,000
then tithe is 10% of N150,000
N15,000
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Dulcet7(m): 6:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
denitro:

N15,000
Does this mean ~ no tithe if your net worth did not increase?

Edit: And what about if the net worth reduced due to bad business? Or a case of insolvency?
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by thehomer: 7:06pm On Jan 17, 2011
nairapower:

denitro:

N15,000

I hope he gets his money from the church if he makes a loss instead of a profit.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Azibalua(f): 8:23pm On Jan 17, 2011
One tenth of anything god has blessed you with
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by denitro(m): 10:34pm On Jan 17, 2011
Dulcet7:

Does this mean ~ no tithe if your net worth did not increase?

Edit: And what about if the net worth reduced due to bad business? Or a case of insolvency?

If at the end of the month, you have not had an increase (net) due to bad business.
10% of 0 = 0
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 10:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
Confused businessman? I hope so, because i don't have time to be advising hypocrites.
For a businessman, the tithe is about ten percent of YOUR profit. By your profit, I mean YOUR profit. Not your employees'. You don't go and give tithes when you've refused to pay your workers. You give it out of the money and income that truly belongs to you. And you can give it when it's available i.e it could be daily, weekly, monthly, yearly etc. It still amounts to the same thing. Don't make an issue of it, God also looks at your heart in whatever you do. Have clean hands and pure heart, and be faithful.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 11:29pm On Jan 17, 2011
According to scripture, there were three tithes commanded by God. Three different tithes with three different definitions, three different purposes, and three different instructions.

Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18: The First Tithe
Definition: a tenth of crops and every tenth animal raised on the Holy land.
Purpose: to help support the Levites and priests.
Instructions: commanded to take the tithe to the Levites, and the Levites were commanded to take a tenth of the tithe to the priests. The priests were commanded to give a heave offering to God from the best of their tenth.

Deuteronomy 14:22-27: The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe
Definition: a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals.
Purpose: to feast before the Lord.
Instructions: take to the place God specified for the feast/festival.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29: The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe
Defintion: a tenth of crops.
Purpose: to feed the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger.
Instructions: invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to your home for meal.

The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus didn’t tithe. Paul didn’t tithe. Peter didn’t tithe.

IF it doesn't meet the above scripture, it isn't a Biblical tithe.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 6:27am On Jan 18, 2011
^stop spamming the forum with the above lies. If you have no biblical backing for your daydreams, keep quiet and let others be. Thank God you guys now say there're different types of tithe, i guess we're making some progress.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 6:51am On Jan 18, 2011
If you read, study, and don't take the verse out of context, Numbers 18:27 proves that tithing cannot be on income: “And this your heave offering shall be reckoned unto you, as though it were the corn of the threshingfloor, and as the fulness of the winepress.”

OLD TESTAMENT - THE FIRST OF THE FRUITS SHOULD GO TO GOD
Proverbs 3:9 (KJV) “Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:”

NEW TESTAMENT - THE WORKER SHOULD BE FIRST TO RECEIVE A SHARE OF THE FRUIT
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) “The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.”

Are you aware that the tithe was paid to THE LEVITES, not the priests? The Levites were the ushers, singers, musicians, janitors, etc. - the servants of the priests. The Levites were then commanded to give a tenth of that tithe to the priests.

Are you aware that the priests and Levites only worked at the Temple about two weeks per year, on a rotational basis? NOT FULL TIME. The priests and Levites were divided into 24 "courses". See First Chronicles 24 for the priests and chapters 25 and 26 for the Levites. Each course only ministered in the Temple one week out of twenty four (1 in 24), and, depending on how many families were in each course, each family only ministered in the Temple two or three days during its courses’ week of ministry.

Some question, how will the church be financed if it isn't through both tithes and offerings?

First, not all denominations teach and collect the tithe, and they bring in the funds needed without having to lie about tithing.

Next, not all Baptist pastors (for an example) teach and collect the tithe. Some do, and some don't.

The end does not justify the means.

The New Testament teaches generous, sacrificial giving, from the heart, according to our means. For some, $1 might be a sacrifice, while for others, even giving 50% of their income might not induce a sacrifice. In the Old Testament, ONLY the farmers tithed, and it was equal percentage (a tenth). The New Testament teaches the principle of equal sacrifice instead of equal percentage. Equal sacrifice is much harder to achieve than giving ten percent.

While tithing is not fair to the poor, it is a nearly-free ride for the well-to-do and wealthy who maybe should be giving far, far more than a mere tenth.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:27am On Jan 18, 2011
I am writing a proposal to convert Tithes into Dollar-denominated Financial Instrument (To be traded OTC) Secured by God guaranteed by the Bank of Heaven. Redeemable-in-Full on the Day of Judgment. grin
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by mabell: 10:27am On Jan 18, 2011
denitro:

N15,000

what about your monthly income that is with or without the income
Do you think it should still be tithed upon
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by SirJohn(m): 10:40am On Jan 18, 2011
Thank God for liberty!!
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by free123: 10:55am On Jan 18, 2011
@op
if u look around u, u will some helpless individuals, motherless babies, beggars. Pls go and help these people with ur profit, support also the genuine word of God. Give to others what u decide within u. Dont go about looking for how to tithe, give as ur heart directs.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 11:07am On Jan 18, 2011
@poster
If you stick to the biblical definition of tithes as explained in deut 14 you won't be giving yourself headache of how to determine tithes based on man made definitions. Biblically speaking you have NO business tithing from your income or profit.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:09am On Jan 18, 2011
KunleOshob:

@poster
If you stick to the biblical definition of tithes as explained in deut 14 you won't be giving yourself headache of how to determine tithes based on man made definitions. Biblically speaking you have NO business tithing from your income or profit.

free123:

@op
if u look around u, u will some helpless individuals, motherless babies, beggars. Pls go and help these people with your profit, support also the genuine word of God. Give to others what u decide within u. Dont go about looking for how to tithe, give as your heart directs.

That clears up the issue completely smiley
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by nuella2(f): 11:18am On Jan 18, 2011
Have you paid your tithe before, abi you just want to make people send in posts. How come you know how to keep records as a businessman but cant calculate your tithe. This thread na arrangee jare, 10% is so easy to calculate.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by nairapower: 1:28pm On Jan 18, 2011
I appreciate all contributions so far, but it seem I am getting confused the more as I am still in the dark on this issue from contradicting responses so far.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2011
nairapower:

I appreciate all contributions so far, but it seem I am getting confused the more as I am still in the dark on this issue from contradicting responses so far.
Don't mind those unbelievers who are being used of the devil to confuse you. Imagine someone saying you shouldn't tithe from your income or profit. Are you to tithe from his?
What God requires is a tithe of what He's blessed you with. From your concern, it's about 10percent of YOUR gains/profit. The remaining 90percent, you can decide to give God, or yourself and the so called poor around you.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by KunleOshob(m): 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2011
^^^
@image123
Any sound scriptural back up for the crap you just posted above?

@nairapower
How tithes should be done is clearly explained in deut 14:22-29 please read it. After reading it you would discover that tithes the way it is defined and practised today is contrary to the scriptures. That aside tithes was an injunction to the children of Israel who were under the law. Christians are not under the law and that is why you would never see any directive for christians to tithe in the new testament.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 2:11pm On Jan 18, 2011
The scripture you've pasted above is not the only scripture on tithe and you know it. Stop being such an hypocrite, half truths are as damning as lies. Your lack of understanding of the OT continues to worry you, you need to ask God to aid your understanding instead of all these 'gra gra' and circles you want to start. You agree that tithe pre-dates the law, so stop your cunning 'under the law' talk.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2011
KunleOshob:

@image123
Any sound scriptural back up for the crap you just posted above?

Scripture ke? you should be asking for pastoral back up grin
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 3:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
Image123:

Don't mind those unbelievers who are being used of the devil to confuse you. Imagine someone saying you shouldn't tithe from your income or profit. Are you to tithe from his?
What God requires is a tithe of what He's blessed you with. From your concern, it's about 10percent of YOUR gains/profit. The remaining 90percent, you can decide to give God, or yourself and the so called poor around you.
Lemme be clear on this, zikky, are you also saying you've never seen scriptures that say/support the above?
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2011
Image123:

Lemme be clear on this, zikky, are you also saying you've never seen scriptures that say/support the above?

Lets see what you got grin
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Dulcet7(m): 4:19pm On Jan 18, 2011
Image123:

Does God require [/b]tithes from [b]Christians? Keyword: require?
Please enlighten us.
I thought tithes are a voluntary sacrifice? I thought tithes are like fasting i.e. it is for the person's good but it should not be made compulsory?
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Dulcet7(m): 4:21pm On Jan 18, 2011
I don't believe in formulas [/b]for any spiritual endeavour, doctrine or belief.

Or else what does this Bible verse mean?
[b]John 3:8 NIV

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 4:23pm On Jan 18, 2011
Its tithing time, blessing time!  wink smiley smiley smiley cheesy cheesy

@Poster,

Tithe remains as one of the best practises of our christian faith.

From the new testament it comes as this: -

Matt.23:23 - Practise love, practise faithfulness, practise mercy and i say to you do not neglect to practise tithe too.

In scriptures, we read of men who received God's blessings by keeping straight to spiritual laws, of which tithing is one of them.

From the old testament it comes as this

Prov 3:9 Honor the Lord with your capital and sufficiency [from righteous labors] and with the firstfruits of all your income

@Poster,

pls take note of the word "sufficiency" - it means the overflow, which means the same thing as profit
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:27pm On Jan 18, 2011
@OP

Tithing is part of the OT Law and has Scriptural basis from Leviticus 27:30 "'A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD." and Malachi 3:9 says, "You are under a curse; the whole nation of you, because you are robbing me." such were the tensed-up days of Scriptural REPO Men  grin

However Tithers [/b]Jesus Christ did not go crawl up Shiit creek and die for you just so you will still be bound by LAW for Galatians 3:13 says [b]"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."

OT Law covered aspects of the Jews life, their personal and national relationship with God as well as their relationship as an individual to civil authority. The civil law is still in affect today. But the law concerning a True Christian's relationship with God underwent a change in Hebrew 7:12 which says "For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law."  If you take a look at civil laws today, you can clearly see that they have their roots in the OT Law.

The law of Jesus Christ (Galatians 6:2 which says Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ) has all the components of the moral law of the Old Testament but none of the ceremonial law (Tithing, circumcision, ceremonial washing, Saturday worship, etc.). I am not discounting other ceremonial practices such as communion, water baptism but these are not requirements to maintain a proper relationship. These are[b] requirements to maintain a proper perspective[/b] of what Christ has done. While in the old law circumcision or tithing were mandatory or else ,  (you know the stories) by trying to or actually fulfilling OT law today, you have put your salvation in jeopardy. as it clearly states in Galatians 5:1-4
1: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
2: Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.
3: Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.
4: You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

I am no theologian or priest or pastor, just a voracious consumer of knowledge seeking Wisdom and Understanding. It is simple enough to understand that Tithing is just for show if you wish to be old fashioned and follow OT Law by doing so you have basically insulted the Death and Resurrection of Christ submitting yourself to LAW and damning yourself from God's Grace. I pray your pastor never leads you to damnation in Jesus Name. AMEN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Has Your Pastor Ever Preached From Songs Of Solomon? / Comforting Scriptures For All Relationship Crises / How T.B. Joshua Initiated Chris Oyakhilome & Ugandan Pastor Kakande

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.