Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,834 members, 7,841,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Help Me Calculate My Tithe - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Help Me Calculate My Tithe (14626 Views)

Is It A Sin If I Spend My Tithe For This Month And Pay Back The Next Month? / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need / Can I Split My Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 19, 2011
It really is funny reading this entire garbage by grown men.

This is what christianity has done to you.

It has given you the mind of a toddler.

It has made you stupiid.

So stupiid that you actually believe you need to sacrifice MONEY - donate MONEY - to God as part of your religious duty.

MONEY.

The sheer stupidity of it is even more befuddling than the inability of victims of this deceit to get the game being played on them by obviously smarter humans.

Really really tragic.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 3:26am On Jan 19, 2011
@image123,

You’ve taken 2Chronicles 31:5 out of context. They even took the tithe to the wrong place. They didn’t even understand what they were supposed to do!

Matthew 23:23 – Jesus didn’t tell the Scribes and Pharisees that they should have tithed on their income (from being teachers and lawyers), but rather He said they tithed on the herbs (increase of the seed) as they ought.

Leviticus 30:31 Whoever would redeem any of their tithe must add a fifth of the value to it.

REDEEM = buy back. The tithe in this case was from the increase of the seed (crops). They could BUY IT BACK for a 20% penalty. The tithe was NOT the money. Notice that they could NOT redeem the animals, only the crops. Now when you start adding to God’s Word, how do you know what you can redeem and what you can'’ redeem?

Hebrews 7:5 is written in the present tense because the Book of Hebrews was written BEFORE the Temple was destroyed. Until the Temple was destroyed (in the year 70AD), the Jews continued to take the tithe to the Levites. Once the Temple was destroyed, there was no more tithing.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 4:22am On Jan 19, 2011
@garyarnold
In the Old Testament, the firstfruits went to God by taking them to the priests at the Temple. Firstfruits means first of the crop, NOT first part of income.
And what's with the firstfruit seminar, who brought firstfruits into this?
In the New Testament, the firstfruits belong to the farmer.
2 Timothy 2:6 (KJV) - The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits.
This is poorly thought out. The husbandman is first partaker of the fruits in any of the testaments, actually that's what Paul was referencing. 1Corinthians 9v7-10

1Corinthians 9:8  Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
The very same principles. God must be first in all things(without God, we can do nothing, man doesn't collect 1st from God in the NT, what's all these you're implying), then you should enjoy the fruits of your labours first, then others. That's God's plan all through scriptures, the same principles. God doesn't change.
In the Old Testament, you gave to God by taking the tithe to the Levites, taking firstfruits to the priests, and through burnt and other sacrificial giving.
In the New Testament, you give to God by giving to the needy/poor
This is wrong. Any of the givings is to God in both testaments, stop trying so hard to seperate Christ, He is the Word and the scriptures speak of Him.

Proverbs 19:17  He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
Is this one also new testament?
In the Old Testament, they had laws to follow. They had no Holy Spirit to lead them.
Gary, did you sincerely write this, or you quoted it from somewhere?
Those who are led by The Spirit need no laws
I'll be very lenient here. Have you heard of THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT of life?
When we work, it is OUR labor. The Biblical tithe came from GOD'S labor, not man's labor. Man cannot make crops and animals. God NEVER commanded anyone to tithe on anything that man makes or earned.
Add this below to your Bible, it will help you if you are truly a follower of Christ.

John 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
John 3:27  John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.

1.  The overwhelming majority of the tithes of the nation were taken, not to the Temple, but to the Levitical cities.

Neh 10:37 And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
I knew it all this while, i knew 10% sounded overwhelming to you, but you can boast of giving more than 10%. For your info, the other offerings were greater than 10%, and they still went to the temple. Infact, more than that, the people themselves had to come all the way to Jerusalem. It contained all of them, it's mysterious, perhaps a new miracle, that it can't contain this overwhelming 10%. This scripture you quoted doesn't talk about levitical cities! ah ha? why is devil this wicked? can't you see it?   The cities of our tillage, not the levites' cities or refuge cities, but the people's cities, where they tilled/worked/ploughed. They were saying the opposite of your claims. They brought to the chambers that the levites might have it. It's referring to the Levites in the temple, c38 if in doubt.

Neh 10:38  And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
He's referring to the high priest, the son of Aaron. He can't possibly be with them in their cities, he's not omnipresent.
Neh 13:12  Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.
This is what Malachi was asking for. All Judah, not some scanty levites.  Everyone, bringing the tithes to the treasuries.
From the chief/high priest to the beggar levite on the street, they were all levites. It's understandable if it sometimes confuses which is which. But it's important that we study all scriptures, so as to RIGHTLY divide the word of truth.  The other levites truly got their portion at home with the poor and orphans, that's another tenth (i'm not going into that now). But we shouldn't mistake it with the tenth that went to the levites in the temple, neither should we mix it with the one that was eaten by the owner(the one kunle loves to quote).  I have to sleep now, i'll add this btw to mix it well.
Rev 1:5  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 4:46am On Jan 19, 2011
Neh 10:38 And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
He's referring to the high priest, the son of Aaron. He can't possibly be with them in their cities, he's not omnipresent.

No, Aaron was the high priest, not his son(s).

God doesn't change.

Correct. So stop changing His definition and ordinances for His tithe. You change Leviticus 27:30-33 to include income, and you change Numbers 18 to allow God's tithe to be taken to the church. GOD DOESN'T CHANGE, AND NEITHER DOES HIS WORD.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 4:50am On Jan 19, 2011
But we shouldn't mistake it with the tenth that went to the levites in the temple,

Why would all the tithe go to the Temple? Nearly all the Levites lived in the Levitical cities, not the Temple. How would the Levites live if their food was at the Temple?

I've already shown scripture to show the Levites and the priests ROTATED on a weekly basis - they served at the Temple about two weeks per year, one week out of every 24. The wifes and children also lived in the Levitical cities. Only makes sense if the whole tithe went to the Levitical cities where the food was needed. That is why the Levites had to take a portion to the Temple.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 9:50am On Jan 19, 2011
Image123:

@ZikkyThe tithe covers every dispensation. Just like love, you find it before, during and after the law.

Would you give a tenth of war spoils to God? As a Christian, if you do conquer an opposing army, are you going to take the people as your slaves and ‘corner’ their belongings? (their homes, their cars, and their money e.t.c.)

Anyways, back to your post. I think gary already provided the answers. There is nothing similar between the two other than the word tenth. You have to make a decision, Abrahams tithe or Levitical tithe.

garyarnold:

1 - We only have scripture to show that Abraham gave a tenth ONE time, and ONLY on war spoils.
2 - The later Mosaic law required a tenth of crops and animals, but NOT a tenth of war spoils. In fact, God only claimed a small fraction of a tenth of war spoils under the Mosaic law.
3 - There is no scripture to show that Abraham gave a tenth of crops and animals.
4 - Therefore, what Abraham did was NOT carried forward into the law, and what the law required was NOT followed by Abraham. There is NOTHING similar between the two other than the word tenth or tithe.

There is nothing similar between the tithe commands in the Old Testament and the made-up tithe taught by false teachers today except the word tithe.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 10:37am On Jan 19, 2011
Image123:

Why should there be a way? The levites were alive and well, and the temple was functioning, with Paul, Peter, John and the team frequenting the place like Jesus. You see, what you don't see is that the tithe is not man's property, it is God's. It wasn't for Peter to collect for himself, neither was it for the famous poor. the tithe was holy.
Hebrews 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

You see image123, we are saying the same thing and that’s why you should read gary’s post again (see below). I know it’s difficult for you to read and accept, but do try to read and understand.

garyarnold:

Since in Numbers 18 God makes it perfectly clear that the tithe belongs to Him, and He gave it to the Levites, anyone who takes God’s tithe to their local church must also be robbing God since the Levites are not the ones getting it.

I see no way around this. Either the tithe ended per Hebrews 7:18, OR those who take God’s tithe to their local church must be robbing God since God gave clear instructions where to take His tithe. There is nothing in God’s Word to show that God ever changed those instructions. Therefore, the only conclusion I can reach is that taking a tithe to your local church is NOT paying the tithe to God. It is giving it to man. Nowhere in God’s Word does He give permission for the Christian Church to receive His tithe.

Therefore, IT IS A SIN AGAINST GOD to take God’s tithe to your local church. IT IS A SIN for any pastor to accept God’s tithe.

Seriously image, I think you should stop embarrassing yourself here. That’s why I like Jo, my good friend and favorite poster. If the thing don pass him power, he go waka one time, he no dey look back. I understand your cause though. It’s not easy to accept something you so much believe in, as a scam/lie. It make nonsense of all you been doing. But that’s where you get it wrong, what you practice (giving a tenth of your income to your church) is no scam and it will always be acceptable to God if done with a sincere heart. The lie comes from believing you are adhering to God commandment as given by Moses. And that has always been the issue; God did not command gentiles to bring a tenth of their income to the church or store house.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by otitokoro1: 11:51am On Jan 19, 2011
According to Deut. 26:12, tithe is tenth of your increase. Your profit is an increase on your investments.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 3:07pm On Jan 19, 2011
What more can i say? You can force a horse to the stream, but you can't force it to drink the water.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by VALIDATOR: 4:03pm On Jan 19, 2011
Na wah oooooo. Una don start dis tithe matter again.

It's a very simple issue. My tithe formula will work for all cases.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-524021.0.html#msg6871741

You simply ask God to deduct His own share from the source and whatever you receive is yours.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 4:04pm On Jan 19, 2011
Quote from Garyanold

@Tonye-t,

Do YOU accept the Word of Jesus?  Do YOU accept the scriptures?  OR, do you CHANGE the Word?

In Matthew 23:23 Jesus confirmed that the Scribes and Pharisees ought to tithe ON THEIR HERBS (increase of the seed) but NEVER did He mention that they should be tithing on their INCOME.  The Scribes and Pharisees were teachers and lawyers but were never told they should be tithing on their income.

grin grin grin @ the phrase: "ought to"  grin grin grin

- Firstly, Jesus did not confirm that the scribes and Pharisees OUGHT TO tithe on their herbs. . .but rather he OBSERVED that they tithed at the expense of other kingdom imports, which he later said that the most important should stand as well as the less important.

*I'll agree if you assert that tithing is less important but will not agree if you say tithing is not important*  wink

- The words He(Jesus) used there never seemed like he condemned the act of tithing, but rather he corrected them to ensure they balance their acts of service to God and not focus on just one part alone while the other suffers.

Lets see that passage again:

Matt.23:23 - You scribes and pharisees are not being fair if you only pay tithes of your gains but leave aside other important things. Truly i say, you should practise justice, practise mercy and practise faithfulness and also do not neglect to practise tithing.

Mr.Garyanold, do we both have a base here? wink
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 6:13pm On Jan 19, 2011
@otitokoro1,

According to Deut. 26:12, tithe is tenth of your increase. Your profit is an increase on your investments.

Wrong. You need a Hebrew concordance/dictionary, and then you need to pick out the correct meaning. Of your increase means of YOUR share of God's miraculous increase of the crops.

Look how other versions of the Bible translate that verse:

Deuteronomy 26:12 (RSV)
“When you have finished paying all the tithe of your produce in the third year, which is the year of tithing, giving it to the Levite, the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within your towns and be filled,

Deuteronomy 26:12 (NCV)
Bring a tenth of all your harvest the third year (the year to give a tenth of your harvest). Give it to the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows so that they may eat in your towns and be full.

Deuteronomy 26:12 (NIV)
When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.

Deuteronomy 26:12 (NRSV)
When you have finished paying all the tithe of your produce in the third year (which is the year of the tithe), giving it to the Levites, the aliens, the orphans, and the widows, so that they may eat their fill within your towns,

@Tonye-t,

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus is speaking of “matters of the law.” The LAW of tithing was limited, BY GOD, to increase of the seed and animals in herds and flocks. Nothing else. No other animals. Not on fish. Not on income. Not on money. ONLY on ASSETS that came from God’s miraculous increase.

Matthew 23:23 (KJV)
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Enigma(m): 9:54pm On Jan 19, 2011
One thing that many do not realise is that one of the principal/fundamental roots of much of what is wrong with "Pentecostal" Christianity today and its descent into the prosperity "gospel" morass, money, money money, "money cometh" nonsense is actually the lie/scam of the tithe. The day a person is able to make the connection, the day s/he will be better able to contextualise the greed and lust for money that pervades the prosperity "gospel". Once you teach "tithing" as "insurance", "God's prosperity covenant", "God's scheme for blessing" and such like nonsense, it is a very easy step to follow with the January-Salary-thieving scam known as "first fruits", and other lies assuring the greed-motivated sheeple of "blessings" and "prosperity". Then you get things like "money cometh" (please google the phrase "money cometh" and check youtube videos) and other insanities

In some Nigerian non-Pentecostal or non "prosperity" churches where tithing is preached, there is still obviously the risk of descent to the prosperity "gospel" morass but less so because of differences from the "Pentecostal"/Prosperity "gospel" churches in the way they go about requesting tithing. They tend to stick more to the line that it is a duty and emphasise less on "tithing" being the guarantee of "prosperity". They are still wrong too of course to teach "tithing" as a Christian obligation.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by ogajim(m): 2:27am On Jan 20, 2011
Some Nigerians and their "haste" to "make" it will go any length and follow any "Pastor, MO, Prophet, Evangelist, GO, GS, GOC, etc" who promise them that prosperity is within reach if only "you believe, have faith, pay tithe, sow a seed, offer first fruit offerings" but at the end of the day while the common folks are still holding on to those beliefs, their "leader" is smiling to the bank. I don't know when these bunch are going to get it but our Lord Jesus Christ was only recorded to have mentioned tithe (of produce no less) ONCE yet they tell you they follow Jesus Christ.

Those who believe they need to pay tithe to their local church ought to continue doing so as long as they know it is not mandatory or a requirement for salvation as our God can't be bought. The early missionaries brought something with them be it subsidized or free education, lived among the people under the same conditions, etc but not these new age jet set prosperity preachers.

Let me people go!
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by newmi(m): 3:40am On Jan 20, 2011
ogajim:

Some Nigerians and their "haste" to "make" it will go any length and follow any "Pastor, MO, Prophet, Evangelist, GO, GS, GOC, etc" who promise them that prosperity is within reach if only "you believe, have faith, pay tithe, sow a seed, offer first fruit offerings" but at the end of the day while the common folks are still holding on to those beliefs, their "leader" is smiling to the bank. I don't know when these bunch are going to get it but our Lord Jesus Christ was only recorded to have mentioned tithe (of produce no less) ONCE yet they tell you they follow Jesus Christ.

Those who believe they need to pay tithe to their local church ought to continue doing so as long as they know it is not mandatory or a requirement for salvation as our God can't be bought. The early missionaries brought something with them be it subsidized or free education, lived among the people under the same conditions, etc but not these new age jet set prosperity preachers.

Let me people go!
Nobody said that it was a prerequisite for salvation, we already know the basic requirements for eternal salvation of a man's soul. You see that is the problem with many of you people; you think you know but you only succeed in displaying a well informed ignorance, tithing is based one a principle the attention is not what is being tithed on rather its on the principle guiding its practice and the statement of its significance to the the believer.
l am not a pastor, am a christian one that has practice the faith for years actively on a consistent basis since the age of 6 and l have found out by studies that tithing is consistent with truth coz lf have lived and am still leaving a well planned and fulfilled life. lf didn't learnt tithing in the church, l began learning tithing at home by my mum so the idea of oh the pastor has designed tithing to enrich himself at my detriment is share fallacy and propaganda.

Genesis 14 : 20
"And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he (Abraham) gave him (Melchizedek) TITHES OF ALL "
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nobody: 3:45am On Jan 20, 2011
Religion has convinced people that there’s an invisible man…living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn’t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money. cool

George Carlin

One of the funniest jokes I've heard.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by garyarnold(m): 3:58am On Jan 20, 2011
@newmi,

There is no "tithing principle."

Abraham didn't "tithe" - he gave a tenth of war spoils and kept nothing for himself.  IF there is any principle involved here, it would be that Abraham kept nothing for himself.

Then there is the Levitical tithe, the ONLY tithe that God, Himself, claimed as His.  Is there a principle here?  A law where those who inherited the promised land were required to give a tenth of the crops and animals to those who didn't inherit the promised land, but rather inherited the tithe.  No one else tithed.  What would be the principle here?  Maybe sharecropping?  There certainly isn't any principle here of giving.

Only man can come up with these principles.  God surely didn't.  And exactly WHEN did these man-made principles on tithing surface?  Around 1870 when church leaders weren't satisfied with the amount of money being donated.

Those are the facts.

Unfortunately, tithing has been taught long enough to where some were raised believing their mother and/or their pastor were correct.  Just shows how anyone, even one's own mother or pastor, can be brainwashed into believing a lie.  And then they hand it down to others, and the cycle continues until enough honest, Bible-studying Christians, challenge this false teaching and get the truth out.

The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it.  No one else tithed.  Wage earners did not tithe.  Jesus didn’t tithe.  Paul didn’t tithe.  Peter didn’t tithe.

HOW CAN YOU COMPARE THAT WITH CHRISTIANS WHO HAVE TO PAY THEIR MORTGAGE PAYMENT OR RENT, INCOME TAXES, PROPERTY TAXES, SALES TAXES, ETC?

There is no way to justify making some “principle” out of the Biblical facts and then apply it to Christians today. It is just flat out wrong and makes no sense at all.

And Abraham wasn't a tither.  He GAVE a tenth of WAR SPOILS and KEPT NOTHING FOR HIMSELF.  There is no logical way to get a principle of giving a tenth of one's income out of that.

Here are some similarities between a tax and the tithe:

Inheritance or Estate tax - paid by those receiving an inheritance.
Tithe - paid by those who inherited the promised land.

Property tax - ONLY on property owners.
Tithe - ONLY on property owners.

Income tax - used to run the government.
Tithe - used to run the theocracy.

Luxury tax - doesn't apply to the poor.
Tithe - doesn't apply to the poor.

The tithing lie is one of the biggest frauds this world has ever experienced.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 7:33am On Jan 20, 2011
@garyarnold
Neh 10:38  And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

No, Aaron was the high priest, not his son(s).
Aaron was dead dead dead in Nehemiah 10 and Aaron wasn't omnipresent either. The high priests came from his geneology, this are simple sunday school stuff gary. You're the one who accuses others of being ignorant and false.
God doesn't change.
Are you quoting Malachi?( i thought that's the law talking to the priests?)

You change Leviticus 27:30-33 to include income, and you change Numbers 18 to allow God's tithe to be taken to the church.  GOD DOESN'T CHANGE, AND NEITHER DOES HIS WORD.
This is english. Income, profit, proceeds, wages, harvest, produce,yield, returns. They're all the same thing. It's your gain after work/toil. What you sow is what you reap. You go to work(at the office at the farm, on the sea, anywhere-the earth is the Lord's and the fullness) what you get at the end of the day is yours, given you by God. Making unnecessary ado about the meaning of income and profit is quite childish, if not insincere.
Why would all the tithe go to the Temple?  Nearly all the Levites lived in the Levitical cities, not the Temple.  How would the Levites live if their food was at the Temple?
Stop asking me, i didn't command it. Ask God who gave them all the tithe. The Levites didn't live in the temple, it's God's house. they had cities like you noted in the suburbs. But the people brought them the tithes for those who ministered at the temple. They had another tithe that they gave to their levite neighbours and the poor and widows, they had another tithe that they ate.
[quote[b]]I've already shown scripture to show the Levites and the priests ROTATED on a weekly basis[/b] - they served at the Temple about two weeks per year, one week out of every 24.  The wifes and children also lived in the Levitical cities.  Only makes sense if the whole tithe went to the Levitical cities where the food was needed.  That is why the Levites had to take a portion to the Temple.
[/quote]
thanks for showing, i thought it was common knowledge though. btw, the shown rotation started with David i.e at the time of David, just in case you missed that. The Word of God doesn't always make sense to all and sundry. Another tithe actually got to the neighbour levites, and its common sense that when the levites in the temple shared the tithes, they took it to their respective families. that was their inheritance. Nobody suggested that they offfered it as burnt offerings.
Numbers 18:8  And the LORD spoke unto[b] Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel[/b]; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, by an ordinance forever.

Num 18:21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
Num 18:24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as a heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
It was an heave offering. they didn't offer their offerings in their parlours, they usually brought them to the temple. It was the Levite's in the temple's increase, and they also gave a tenth of it. then they were free to use the rest as they pleased.

Num 18:31  And ye shall eat it in every place, ye and your households: for it is your reward for your service in the tabernacle of the congregation.
And which ones are assets that came from God's miraculous increase? What's this one again? This people sha. So when Jesus miraculously  provided fish, it's not counted ko? assets from Go's miraculous increase. I consider my salary as one of such assets na.
And lest i forgeteth.
[quote]@image123,

You’ve taken 2Chronicles 31:5 out of context.  They even took the tithe to the wrong place.  They didn’t even understand what they were supposed to do!
In error King Hezekiah commanded the ordinary people to bring all the tithes to the Temple in Jerusalem. Due to his idolatrous predecessors the Temple had been closed and the exact location for tithes had been forgotten.
King Hezekiah had to "question" the priests and Levites because something was evidently wrong. All tithes of the nation were never intended to be brought to the Temple. The "storehouse tithing" concept was built on a mistake!
Look at this gary saying King Hezekiah was in error. And all those wonderful and most excellent ministers of God that you say they are either false or ignorant! (as Solomon might say,Men more righteous and better than you). Hezekiah was in error to you, hear God's verdict and opinion. He brought revival and godliness to his people.
2Kings 18:3  And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that David his father did.
2Ki 18:4  He removed the high places, and broke the images, and cut down the groves, and broke in pieces the brazen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan.
2Ki 18:5  He trusted in the LORD God of Israel; so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor any that were before him.
2Ki 18:6  For he cleaved to the LORD, and departed not from following him, but kept his commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses.

2Chronicles 29:1  Hezekiah began to reign when he was five and twenty years old, and he reigned nine and twenty years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Abijah, the daughter of Zechariah.
2Ch 29:2  And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that David his father had done.
He did that which was right in the sight of the LORD. But in your sight he was in error, because it doesn't make sense to you. He's a scammer with lies from the pit of hell because he dared talk for tithe.
But the Bible records that he brought in revival. he restored the priests and levites to the temple, he organised the passover, he invited Israel to be part of the revival i.e asides the tribe of Judah which he ruled, he invited the divided tribes. He brought in sanctification and cleansing. Go and read 2Chronicles 29-31. He didn't follow the law like a pharisee but operated ahead of his time, in the realms of grace.
2Chronicles 30:22  And Hezekiah spoke comfortably unto all the Levites that taught the good knowledge of the LORD: and they did eat throughout the feast seven days, offering peace offerings, and making confession to the LORD God of their fathers.

2Ch 31:4  Moreover he commanded the people that dwelt in Jerusalem to give the portion of the priests and the Levites, that they might be encouraged in the law of the LORD.
2Ch 31:5  And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.

The obedience was so great that it took months for the priests to collate the givings. They didn't even have the grace that we often claim belongs to us.
2Ch 31:6  And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and[b] laid them by heaps[/b].
2Ch 31:7  In the[b] third month[/b] they began to lay the foundation of the heaps, and[b] finished them in the seventh month[/b].

This is what surprised hezekiah, and it should surprise you too.

2Ch 31:9  Then Hezekiah questioned with the priests and the Levites concerning the heaps.
2Ch 31:10  And Azariah the chief priest of the house of Zadok answered him, and said, Since the people began to bring the offerings into the house of the LORD, we have had enough to eat, and have left plenty: for the LORD hath blessed his people; and that which is left is this great store.
2Ch 31:11  Then Hezekiah commanded to prepare chambers in the house of the LORD; and they prepared them,
2Ch 31:12  And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.

the english above is clear. They made a bigger storage to accomodate the offerings and tithe. Was massive

2Ch 31:20  And thus did Hezekiah throughout all Judah, and wrought that which was good and right and truth before the LORD his God.

God accepted him, don't condemn him.

@Zikky
Would you give a tenth of war spoils to God?
Sure i would, if like Abraham, God gave me the spoils like he does my salary.

Gen 14:19  And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
Gen 14:20  And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

It's actually a biblical practise and i'm a child of Abraham by faith

1Chronicles26:27  Out of the spoils won in battles did they dedicate to maintain the house of the LORD.
You see image123, we are saying the same thing and that’s why you should read gary’s post again
Not too sure we arrived at the same conclusion. The point was that the levites were alive and well and the temple was in use by all during peter's time. It's not so today, temple's been destroyed. Today, our priests and levites are our spiritual leaders and we are God's israel. Today, we give our offerings and tithes to God through them, not the extinct levites.
Hebrews 7:8  And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nsiman(m): 7:44am On Jan 20, 2011
@ nairapower, my first post on religion. u have to be confused, why shld someone limit his giving to tithe? Let me say here that non has paid real tithe to God as the israelites did. The israelites were tithing minth and cumin which are agricultural products, here we bring money, money, money, what happen to ur produce in the farm. My bros, please God loves a cheerful giver not gifts from tithes because u may cheat God by tithing.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Snowwy: 8:31am On Jan 20, 2011
@Nsiman
Tithe is just one of the ways of giving. We give offerings, we give to the poor and help our neighbours.
We give sacrifice of praise and worship too so really there are a lot of ways to give to God.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nsiman(m): 8:54am On Jan 20, 2011
Yea but if we concentrate our giving to God on tithe is absolutely cheating God. Imagine having income of say N1000 anually and give just N100 its cheating God. I will rather give the weekly offering as contain in 1corinthians 16:1-3 and strife to help the needy privately and other needs as they arise in the church. Modern churches springing up daily dn't care about the absolute poor in their midst, they care more on the average member. Yes i condemn tithing in its entirety
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Snowwy: 9:04am On Jan 20, 2011
@Nsiman,
The weekly offerings continues as well as tithing and helping the poor as tehy will always be around us.
We are the church so I think we should stop acting like the church is different from us.
Whatever you decide to give to God is between you and Him, so no hassles.
Too bad since you have decided to 'condemn' tithe.
It is God's word so I think you should be careful of what you condemn. If you do not practise it, do not condemn it.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Zikkyy(m): 10:11am On Jan 20, 2011
Image123:

Today, our priests and levites are our spiritual leaders and we are God's israel. Today, we give our offerings and tithes to God through them, not the extinct levites.

Is this a command, to be adhered to by all Christians? You agreed the Apostles could not collect tithe because it was meant for the Levites.  When did God change the instruction that the G.O/MOG can now collect the tithe? Please provide scriptural back up.

One more thing image123, I am sure the descendants of Levi are still very much in existence today, they are not extinct. Maybe you can tell us why they are no longer collecting tithe. At what time did God say tithe is no longer their inheritance, it is now for the church and pastor to inherit? Please tell me how this came about, I am willing to learn. Thanks.

I hope you won't run away  smiley

Image123:

Hebrews 7:8  And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

We are all aware Melchizedek received tithe image123, that’s no news. I don’t know the purpose of this quote. But i am not sure you know what you are talking about here image123, I can’t comment cos you didn’t explain.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 10:41am On Jan 20, 2011
garyarnold:

@Tonye-t,

In Matthew 23:23, Jesus is speaking of “matters of the law.” The LAW of tithing was limited, BY GOD, to increase of the seed and animals in herds and flocks. Nothing else. No other animals. Not on fish. Not on income. Not on money. ONLY on ASSETS that came from God’s miraculous increase.

Matthew 23:23 (KJV)
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

No Sir!. . .see I believe the best way to understand the true essence of a thing is to trace its way to its origin. Lets take for example when Jesus was questioned by the Pharisees if divorce was justifiable in a case of immorality. . .Jesus knew they were making reference to the LAW OF MOSES whereas in essence they shouldnt be, they should rather sought for how it ought to be from the beginning. . .here is what he said: Have you not read that God made them to be one from the beginning? therefore let no one put asunder that which was made to be one by God (Refer Matt.19:4) and this statement he made to counter the law that Moses gave them.

Because bible even testified that Moses gave them this law because of the wickedness of their heart and not because God wanted it so. Quote me!

Mark 10:5 "Jesus replied them saying It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," NIV

Now let us reflect this same point to the lesson of tithing bearing in mind the phrase - "from the beginning". Hope you agree with me that tithing did not begin with the law, but with Abraham who came thousands of years before Moses and the mosaic law? With this i continue:

Now let reflect again and ask ourselves. . .who was the first to have tithed? / how did he pay the tithe? / what made him pay the tithe?

P1. Abraham was the first to have tithed, not Moses who institutionalized it on the Israelites because of their hardened hearts. Therefore it will be erroneous if we use the Mosaic mode of tithing as basis for the act of tithing. wink

P2.
Gen 14:20 said - " And [Abram] gave him a tenth of all he possessed"AMP. This is to say the original "tenthing" was not limited to crop produce my friend but to every of your increase.  wink Crop produce were modes of giving tithes during the mosaic era, and cetainly not how Abraham gave it when he first showed us.

P3. He paid the tithe because he was blessed by the King of Salem and in turn he appreciated - act of appreciation for the blessings he received. I believe BLESSING should precede TITHING and not TITHING preceding BLESSING. This is where i frown at some men of God and how they teach the messahe of Tithing.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by otitokoro1: 11:49am On Jan 20, 2011
Wrong. You need a Hebrew concordance/dictionary, and then you need to pick out the correct meaning. Of your increase means of YOUR share of God's miraculous increase of the crops.

I use KJV because it is a direct transliteration of the bible. I also read other versions but I am been careful of those versions that may have lost the ingredients or deliberately meant to rephrase the word to suit their interior motives. There are some version that will even tell you "tenth of your salary".

However, On issue of tithes, when you go into the origin of tithes you will see that Increase is not limited to Farm produce. Do not forget that tithes is a covenant, if you do not keep your part, God may not be held responsible for not keeping His part also. This is why many pay what they call tithes and yet they get poorer.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nsiman(m): 2:12pm On Jan 20, 2011
@ snowwy, we have two testaments in the bible, the old consist of the laws and the prophets, the new consist of the life time of christ on earth and the messages leading to salvation. Tho during his ministry on earth he observed the jewish tradition of worship by paying tax, tithe and participating in observing the passover feast but when He was on the cross he made a last statement "it is finished". Mr. Snowwy, pls what was finished?
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Snowwy: 2:45pm On Jan 20, 2011
Nsiman:

@ snowwy, we have two testaments in the bible, the old consist of the laws and the prophets, the new consist of the life time of christ on earth and the messages leading to salvation. Tho during his ministry on earth he observed the jewish tradition of worship by paying tax, tithe and participating in observing the passover feast but when He was on the cross he made a last statement "it is finished". Mr. Snowwy, pls what was finished?

@Nsiman, it means the work and the will of the Father, He came to do on earth, is complete. John 4:34; John 12:24-27
And this work includes the work of redemption, reconciling man back to God, saving us from Satan's hold, the curse of the law, making us sons of the Father etc.

Do you have a different meaning of 'It is finished'? See tithe is done by faith (grace) and you are not under any obligation to, so if you do not want to stop trying to discredit it.

So are you now saying that paying tax is a form of worship or his paying tax is in line with the jewish tradition?
So now his death nullified paying tax too? lipsrsealed Do you pay tax? If you do are you sayin you are under the law not grace? undecided
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 2:46pm On Jan 20, 2011
Nsiman:

*shakes head*

What was finished?. . .hmmmm let me seeeeeeee

1. Tithes and offering  grin

2. The holy communion  grin

3. The great commission  grin

4. The parables and the lessons to learn from them  grin

5. The new commandment he gave us as LOVE  grin

6. His disciples  grin

7. His miracles  grin

8. His teachings on prayers  grin

Afterall all these act came before his declaration of the word -  "it is finished". may God really help us Christians!  undecided undecided undecided
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Image123(m): 3:14pm On Jan 20, 2011
^i dey guffaw chortle ooo grin tonye, don't kill us here abeg. Thou shall not kill is still relevant to my life?
Zikky i dey come o.
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Nsiman(m): 4:16pm On Jan 20, 2011
@ snowwy, i agree with u on "it is finished" was refered to the works of the law and the prophets. Yes all the mood of worship the israelites use in worshipping God is ended, including, tithing, animal sacrifice, going to worship God only in Jerusalem etc (at my previous post i just included tax) a new era of worship was to come up after his resurrection. Where i worship we dn't pay tithe but we give offertory every 1st day of the week cheerfully. Are we wrong?
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Snowwy: 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2011
@Nsiman,
Animal sacrifice was abolished as it was usually used for atonement of sin, Christ has saved us by dying on the cross. Heb 10:5-12.
Worshipping God only in Jerusalem was done away with. John 4:20-24
I am yet to see where Christ said tithe is also abolished by His death.

It is great you give cheerful. His word and the Holy Spirit is there to direct you on right or wrong.
And know that we live by faith as it is impossible to please God without faith. Tithing is by faith too as under the liberty of Christ.

There are other 'weightier matters' as Christ said so do all these and do not neglect tithe. It was Christ word's in Matthew 23:23.
Anyone who says it is to the pharisees should also tell me that he is not obliged to practice the other weightier matters of the law or be born again as Christ was speaking to a Pharisee when he said that too. John 3: 1 -6. (note: Jesus said this even before the crucifixion)
Re: Help Me Calculate My Tithe by Tonyet1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 20, 2011
Image123:

^i dey guffaw chortle ooo grin tonye, don't kill us here abeg. Thou shall not kill is still relevant to my life?
Zikky i dey come o.

My brother wetin u want make we talk again na? these Christians wey stingy go find every excuse not to part away with their hard-hard-earned cash.

Their heart is repentant. . .but their pockets na no go area! undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Group Wants CAN To Investigate Stephanie Otobo And Apostle Suleman's Sex Scandal / Matthew Ashimolowo: Take COVID-19 Vaccine, Don’t Join Conspiracy Theorists / 61st RCCG Annual Convention Theme: Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.