Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately (336 Views)

Osinbajo, Others Attend Pastor Dare Adeboye's Night Of Worship And Tribute / President Buhari Set To Approve Reopening Of Worship Centres / Muhammad Musa Bello: Places Of Worship Remain Shut In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by talk2archy: 3:09am On May 23, 2020
US President Donald Trump has announced that he has ordered governors to open up places of worship opining that is wrong for some state governors to designate ‘liquor stores and abortion clinics’ as ‘essential services’ but keep places of worship like churches, mosques and synagogues closed.

Amid the Coronavirus pandemic hat has killed over 95,000 people in the US, Trump on Friday said he is designating all places of worship – including churches, synagogues and mosques – “essential,” saying he wants them to “open right now.”

Reacting to the move by state governors of keeping “liquor stores and abortion centres” open during during the lockdown while keeping places of worship shuttered, Trump said in the White House briefing room.

It’s not right,” Trump said. “I’m calling houses of worship essential.”

“If there’s any question, they’re going to have to call me, but they’re not going to be successful in that call,” Trump said of state leaders.

“The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, for this weekend,”

“If they don’t do it, I will override the governors.”

“It’s not right,” ”This move is aimed at correcting this injustice.”

“If there’s any question, they’re going to have to call me, But they are not going to be successful in that call.”

“In America, we need more prayer,” “Not less.” Mr Trump said before leaving the briefing room.

Earlier on Friday Trump spoke more on the subject.

“We want our churches and our places of faith and worship, we want them to open,” he said. “But they’re going to be opening up very soon. We want our churches open, we want our places of faith, synagogues, we want them open, and that’s going to start happening.”

“I consider them essential, and that’s one of the things we’re saying. We’re going to make that essential,” Mr Trump said. “You know, they have places [deemed] essential that aren’t essential. And they open, and yet the churches aren’t allowed to open, and the synagogues. And again, places of faith, mosques, places of faith.”

A large chunk of Mr Trump’s political base is very religious. In the 2016 election, Trump notably took 75 per cent of the white evangelical vote and has invited pastors and preachers during his tenure to lead prayer sessions at the White House.

Trump appeared in the briefing room to read a short statement announcing he has approved guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help state and local leaders safely allow worship facilities to open back up.
Re: Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by fallout87: 3:13am On May 23, 2020
He does have the right under the United States Constitution to order Governors to do this.

Abeg, this isn't Nigeria. He will backtrack tomorrow.
Re: Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by socialmediaman: 3:20am On May 23, 2020
Powers he doesn’t have. He’s trying to motivate people to put pressure on governors to reopen the city. Leaders like him are good for places like Africa where life has little to no value, where there are less leaders and more dictators

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by Biofil84(m): 3:33am On May 23, 2020
socialmediaman:
Powers he doesn’t have. He’s trying to motivate people to put pressure on governors to reopen the city. Leaders like him are good for places like Africa where life has little to no value, where there are less leaders and more dictators
Are you trying to say D.Trump is a dictator..no he is not, he is only doing his job, he is a proactive leader, one that does not compromise and take nonsense from individuals as well as countries.

Sincerely, am Pro-D.Trump and I like his style ..meanwhile there are some in Africa that have not even done a single media chat since the outbreak of this pandemic, all we here is the 'presidency says', infact he is incommunicado as I speak .what a shame.
Re: Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by socialmediaman: 3:43am On May 23, 2020
Biofil84:
Are you trying to say D.Trump is a dictator..no he is not, he is only doing his job, he is a proactive leader, one that does not compromise and take nonsense from individuals as well as countries.

Sincerely, am Pro-D.Trump and I like his style ..meanwhile there are some in Africa that have not even done a single media chat since the outbreak of this pandemic, all we here is the 'presidency says', infact he is incommunicado as I speak .what a shame.

Well this is less about the useless tyrant In Aso rock and more about DT. DT’s inactions caused thousands of lives and his actions are costing more. Obama faced a threat like this twice during his tenure but the Country was not shut down.

Showmanship Is not leadership, bros. Most of his supporters are those who do less research of their own or just plain selfish.

He doesn’t wear a mask when making contact with the public, his vice does same. He probably thinks this will give a sense of strong leadership. Doesn’t he know that wearing a mask is less about protecting yourself and more about protecting others in case he caught the virus?

His supporters also picked that up. That’s what they get to learn from their leader. I’ve seen people refuse to wear masks because they think they’ll be fine even if they caught the virus, but hey, it’s not about them, it’s about them transferring the virus to other people.
Re: Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by Mkbtdevice(m): 3:45am On May 23, 2020
Re: Trump Orders Governors To Allow Places Of Worship To Reopen Immediately by Mynd44: 4:19am On May 23, 2020

(1)

Will There Be Public Holiday On 29th Of May For Democracy Anniversary? / Obasa: The Yoruba Man Who Predicted Amotekun 4 Years Ago / FG Shortlists 91 Directors For Promotion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.