Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,911 members, 7,814,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Abuja: The Scottish View. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja: The Scottish View. (2303 Views)

President Jonathan Accused Of Owning A $500m Farm In Abuja - The Nation / Abuja - The City Beautiful (Pictures) / Why Is Abuja The Capital Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja: The Scottish View. by azorjiu(m): 9:36pm On Jun 10, 2007
This should have been posted on the sports section, but i decided to have it here because of its political undertone.

Scots are at it again. Does the articule below represent the state of affairs in my country?

link
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/tm_headline=tell-the-world--&method=full&objectid=19274210&siteid=64736-name_page.html

10 June 2007
TELL THE WORLD
Sunday Mail investigates: The hidden truth behind Nigeria's £250M fight for Commonwealth Games
Charles Lavery
THE race to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games enters the last lap this week as the five-man judging panel arrives in Scotland.

Their verdicts will be key when the 71 members vote between Glasgow and Nigeria's Abuja. Almost twomillion Scots back our bid on the internet but most Nigerians living on a dollar a day do not share that same enthusiasm.

Sunday Mail writer CHARLES LAVERY and photographer HENRY McINNES spent a week in the shanty towns of Abuju and saw first-hand the grim price many Nigerians are paying for their leaders' grand dreams.

IT is heralded as Africa's fastest growing city, the digital capital of Nigeria, and city leaders boast confidently it will be the next host of the Commonwealth Games.

Last week Abuja showcased its impressive £70million stadium, velodrome and pool to the men who help decide whether it or Glasgow will win the 2014 Games bid.

Nigeria's sports minister Bala Kaole reckons their bid is "in the bag".

He even believes he has convinced the judging team Abuja is safer and more prosperous than Glasgow.

But airbrushed out of their glossy and colourful campaign is the plight of thousands of ordinary Africansmade homeless and left poverty-stricken by the Nigerian government's obession with making Abuja the jewel in the crown.

Less than a mile from these pristine facilities, we saw locals struggle to carve their day's food from the carcass of a goat as a man stood nearby wielding an AK-47 machine gun - for his own safety.

And in the Ushafa settlement, a few miles outside the city gates, families live in makeshift mud huts 20 years after they were forced from the city centre to make way for exclusive new developments.

Some went from the very land on which the 60,000-seat national stadium - centrepiece of this shiny new metropolis - now stands.

The displaced masses of the Bwari tribe were promised new homes and compensation - which never came.

They live in mud huts and have to steal water from a nearby reservoir which supplies the city they once called home.

The Abuja Games bid is costing more than £250million but the government will not stretch to the £10,000 cost of a borehole which would give the tribe the water they need.

Girls as young as four carry buckets of scorching sand on their heads to the village so their parents can make the bricks that will give shelter from the sun.

The searing hot grains smear their faces and leave tiny little scars and rivulets on their foreheads.

His Royal Highness Alhaji Mohammabu Baba, chief of the Bwari people, wants the world to know what has happened.

And he is desperate that the authorities who moved his people will not benefit from the lucrative kudos the Games would bring.

In a baking hot room in the centre of a "village" with no roads, sanitation or running water, he sat in a room decorated only with peeling photos of a meeting he held with Bill Clinton in 2000.

The then US President was on a whistlestop tour of Africa and had personally requested a meeting.

Chief Baba wants the committee judging the Commonwealth Games bids to see the plight of his people - not just the shiny new wealth of Abuja.

He said: "They are spending millions of pounds on the bid for these games while the people here go without water.

"The only good thing about the Games is that the world might see how we are forced to live "Tell the world what has happened to my people.

"Please tell everyone. Theywant to bring the games to Abuja. It is our land and we were moved with no compensation - nothing. We have lived like this ever since.

"President Clinton came here and promised to help. We are told he sent money but it never got here.

"Clinton demanded to speak to the chief of Abuja and they had to bring him to me.

"I am the chief of Abuja and the people who lived there. We have no water - nothing. We are forgotten.

"Our people have no food, water, money.

"Tell everyone, tell the committee to come and see how we live."

At least 300,000 Bwari tribespeople were forcibly removed in the early 1980s as Nigeria sought to build a modern capital to house the nation's divided sects and tribes.

They now have nothing and no means to improve their circumstances. They ask for money but also for pens and notebooks.

Locals regularly queue for two days, sleeping in their cars, just to fill up their tanks in this sixth-biggest oil producer in the world.

Just one kilometre away, a British company, Biwater, are extending a massive dam which will hold water for the oil rich residents 10 kilometres away.

Ushafa villagers know they could be shot on sight by police for going there to take water.

In another tiny settlement in the shadow of the stadium, hundreds of Bwari tribespeople have evaded the bulldozers and live less than a mile fromthe stadium that is the showpiece of the Games bid.

All around lies the devastation of the clearances, rubble lying where once there were fields of corn.

The people in this last outpost against the state, in all less than 1000, are all starving.

The children have distended tummies and their only toilet is a rubbish heap yards from their hovels.

They are determined to stay in their own land and have their native Bwari rights affirmed by the Nigerian state.

Aman with an AK-47 stood guard at the entrance to the hamlet as other men sold goat meat under the shade of a tree.

When I asked him why he had the weapon, he replied: "Security."

When I asked if he was employed by the government he shook his head, adding: "My security." He stood less than 500 yards from the main entrance to Nigeria's National Stadium.

The contrast with the display by the Abuja organisers could not be more marked.

The city centre boasts the same multimillion-pound shopping malls seen in US and European cities.

On offer are the latest Spider-Man DVD and the new Beyonce album.

But these are confined to the superrich and shoppers browse under the gaze of gun-wielding security guards.

The people of the village have never heard of Beyonce and are not allowed near these malls.

Their daily lives are about the struggle to get enough water and food.

John Tierney, head of the Commonwealth Games Bid Evaluation Commission, and other delegates arrive in Glasgow this week.

The organisers of the Glasgow bid will be out to impress, and tens of thousands of sports fans will be willing them to give the Games to Glasgow.

Thousands of miles away, few of the displaced tribespeople in Abuja will be aware of this latest step towards deciding the destination of the Games. They can only hope the delegates, taken on a carefully stage-managed tour of their home city, will finally hear their voices and consider their plight.

The Abuja bid team shrug off the scandal of the problems faced by Nigeria's poor but admit they kept delegates away from Ashafa.

A spokesman said: "The situation with the Bwari people has been adequately addressed by the administration.

These things take time.

"These people are expecting to get money but it has to go through a process. They made way for the city and there has now been a change in administration. So maybe now they will get their money.

"This is not something for the bid team to address. The government is going to do something about this. The process to get them resettled and compensated is ongoing but yes, it is taking some time.

"It was a different government which asked them to leave their land but we hope that as the deadline for the bid gets closer these things can be resolved.

"The evaluation committee were impressed with what we have on the ground and told us about improvements we have to make to be ready, in terms of infrastructure and transport.

"The government has plans to build a new rail system for the city. The committee were very satisfied but, of course, they advised we would need to do some work between now and 2014.

"We did not take them to Ushafa - why would we?"

Glasgow v Abuja

Population - 600,000

Economy - The retail, commerce and manufacturing bases in the city account for almost one third of Scotland's £86.3billion gross domestic product.

Climate - The summer Games would be in weather best described as "changeable".

Stadia - There are two internationalclass athletics venues in Kelvin Hall International Sports Arena and Scotstoun Stadium, plus football grounds Celtic Park, Ibrox Stadium and Hampden Park. The SECC and Kelvingrove Park would also be used.

Transport Links - Two international airports welcome three million visitors every year. Established subway, rail and bus network.

Hotels - Luxury hotels include the Hilton, the Marriot and the Radisson.

Previous experience - won acclaim for the way it hosted this year's UEFA Cup Final and the Champions League Final in 2003. Also hosted the Special Olympics in 2005.

Population - 1,800,000

Economy - A significant portion of Nigeria's Û83.6billion economy is generated in Abuja, which is in the middle of extensive privatisation. One in three people earn less than one dollar a day.

Climate - Temperatures in Abuja are as high as 36C.

Stadia - Abuja National Stadium is the venue for international football matches and also played an integral part in the country's hosting of the All-Africa Games.

Transport links - Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport serves two million customers every year. It is undergoing a Û60million development and a tram system is planned for the games

Hotels - Nicon Hilton Hotel, Abuja Sheraton Hotel and Protea Hotel. Apo Apartments are among the hospitality facilities on offer for accommodating delegates and press from the Commonwealth

Previous experience - Hosted the All-Africa Games in 2003, when it catered for more than 7000 athletes.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by Seun(m): 9:39pm On Jun 10, 2007
Post a link to the web page where you copied this from, please.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by MILITIA(f): 10:00pm On Jun 10, 2007
@Topic grin grin grin I dey laff!

You think the world is stupid like Nigerians!  What you do not understand is the the outside world knows more about Nigeria than you think!  They have dealt with us for ages and know us well well!  After hearing all the nasty stories of Sharia, state of Emergencies and Niger Delta Militants, you think we are to be trusted with commonwealth games in 2014? What a joke!  Look, Festac "77 was a fluke--Will never happen in Nigeria again, the rate we are going.

Why did Ophrah Winfrey not build her school for girls in Nigeria?  I think una say you be "Giant of Africa"? cool  Oh Please!  A country that does not have its own bonafide international airlines?  If those Sharia people riot on account of Muhammed, decide to display as usual, what is the evacuation plan in the absence PHCN in the neighbouring villages?  Health care Nko?  Free kidnapping agencies will spring up for maximum benefits!  The athletes sef go begin miss in dozens for ransom!  I beg make we go siddon jo!  Those naked  pot-bellied Bwari people go come out disgrace una well well.  I can't wait to see that on "world link" T.V. Yup! grin
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by naijaking1: 11:52pm On Jun 10, 2007
@militia

why am I beginning to like you?

@seun
do you doubt the authenticity of the article, I understand the need for accuracy, but the article is not a surprise at all. when you begin to fight for something like the olympics, C'wealth game, World cup, etc with other countries, that's when you go sabi say naija no get public relation muscle at all.
The article achieved its objectives, which is to raise:
1. security concerns
2. human right concerns
3. copy right concerns
4. weather concerns

Most of all, it was so well written that most people who don't know Abuja will puke after reading the article.

Characteristically, naija people no go understand what hit them until they loose the opportunity to host the game.

Instead of sending some good reporters to Glasgow to write a counter article, they will resort to name calling and finger pointing till thy kingdom come.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by MILITIA(f): 12:00am On Jun 11, 2007
@naijaking1 kiss
Smoochies to you! You know I am passionate about the truth. I do not believe in blind or baseless patriotism. You are talking about "writing a counter article"? Let us try making Abuja a model city that can at least rival Accra or Jo-Burg before we start bidding for the commonwealth games!

Let us clean up the area good! See the article saying that you cannot even go one mile outside Abuja without seeing those Shanty "things". You know these oyinbo athletes sabi jog and explore with hidden cameras inside them underwear? grin One mile is not far oh! How will we hide all that jagbajantis? shocked
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by naijaking1: 12:10am On Jun 11, 2007
@militia

If I crack a rib laughing at your post, I'll send you the medical bill.

You're right about getting to the root of the problem, and that's noble! My experience in ATL during the 1996 olympics formed the basis of my earlier post.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by MILITIA(f): 12:15am On Jun 11, 2007
@naijaking1
I was in ATL too then and I was glad the way the bombing thing was handled.  Can you imagine what would have happened if that was in Nigeria.  With the PHCN and Poor medical supplies matter?
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by naijaking1: 12:23am On Jun 11, 2007
That's my point.

The Atl-Journal & Constn. ran a series of negative article about Rome, so much so that most people thought that the mafia would kidnap them on landing at the airport.

Rome could and should have been given the privildge to host the 100th olympic, but Andy Young and Billy Payne do so many unspeakable things to thwart the Italian dream.

Naija better be ready
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 12:00pm On Jun 11, 2007
There's no denying the fact that Nigeria has it's problems. Which nation doesn't?

Anybody who reads well will realise that Scotland, especially Glasgow has multi-faceted problems. Almost every index in Europe shows Glasgow below the table. Glasgow is a drug-infested city whose population seems to be majority neds. For those who do not know what NED means, it's another term for CHAVS.

I know Hampden Park, the National Stadium, very well and there are gangs of NEDS who gather around there almost every night. The noise and the nuisance they create is better imagined. Last night, I woke up and heard lots of noises in my neighbourhood and shouts by these people.

You need to be somewhere to appreciate other things.

My intention is not to run down Glasgow because I strongly support the games coming to Glasgow: it's my adopted home. But I do not want you guys to think that everywhere else is okay except Nigeria. Ask any foreigner in Glasgow and they'll tell you that Glasgow is not a good city to live. However, most people would say that about wherever does not suit them. even Glaswegians are always forward to tell you that their city is filled with too many undesirable characters.

Education is not one of Glasgow's strong points. Majority of the people are half educated , cant speak or write proper English and more interested in getting drunk than any other thing. The proportion of Nigerians who love and cherish decent education is much higher than that of Scotland.

In all, Scotland/Glasgow is good and so is Nigeria. Everywhere has it's plus and minuses
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 12:06pm On Jun 11, 2007
Azorju, you live in UK and I expect you to know better than to read the likes of The Mail Group, The sun and the other right wing racist newspapers whose main articles and news have to be anti-immigrant or outrightly racist in nature.

My bro, dont bother with them
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 12:14pm On Jun 11, 2007
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6739007.stm

Scotland is 'worst small country'

Send us your views
Scotland is the worst performing small country in Western Europe, according to a report by business leaders.
The Federation of Small Businesses' annual Index of Wealth compared 10 countries on economic performance, employment rates, health and education.

Scotland's life expectancy rate was a major factor in it coming bottom.

FSB Scotland said the new SNP government had its work cut out to improve the nation, but ministers said Scotland "can and will do better".

Scotland also fell by one place, to 17th, in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's table of the world's 24 most developed countries.

We are already far down the table of comparator countries, and on every count we are travelling in the wrong direction

Andy Willox
FSB Scotland policy convener

The FSB Scotland index examined countries with fewer than nine million people, including Norway, Iceland and the Republic of Ireland.

The report was written by John McLaren, honorary research fellow at the University of Glasgow.

He said Scotland had fallen one place from ninth after the previous bottom country, Austria, improved its employment rate.

"The reason why Scotland is stuck at the bottom of the pile is largely due to our poor health and our low life expectancy," he said.

Figures released last year by the Office for National Statistics said Scotland had the lowest life expectancy in the UK for both men and women.

'Fairly low'

The figures were 74.2 for men and 79.3 for women, compared to the UK average of 76.6 and 81 years.

Other statistics released by the Registrar General for Scotland last year showed that life expectancy was rising, but that the gap between rich and poor was widening.

However, Mr McLaren added that even if health was taken out of the equation Scotland would still be "fairly low" on the table.

FSB Scotland policy convener Andy Willox said: "The index clearly shows that, on these indicators, Scotland is the worst small country in western Europe, and requires urgent action to improve both our life chances and life expectancy.

There are calls for health to be put at the heart of decision-making

"Coming as it does so soon after the election of an SNP government, this year's index shows the new First Minister Alex Salmond will have his work cut out for him if he is to match reality with his aspiration of making Scotland healthier, wealthier and fairer."

Despite being above average on three of the four indicators, life expectancy in Scotland remains well below the OECD average.

"We are already far down the table of comparator countries, and on every count we are travelling in the wrong direction," Mr Willox added.

"Health, education, the employment rate and economic performance are all interlinked.

"Improvements in health or education should help businesses recruit and retain healthy and highly skilled staff, thus boosting productivity and ultimately economic growth."

'More dynamic'

The index showed Glasgow City is the worst performing local authority area in Scotland, with the poorest record in three of the four indicators: mortality, education and employment

Mr Willox added: "That Glasgow is the worst performing part of Scotland on all but one of the indicators is deeply troubling."

Finance Secretary John Swinney said he was not surprised by the report's conclusions.

"This reflects some of the arguments we have put forward for a very long time that Scotland is under-performing," he said.

We have made it very clear that our purpose is to increase susrtainable economic growth in Scotland

John Swinney
Finance Secretary

"This directly challenges some of the rhetoric from the previous government, everything in the garden is far from rosy in Scotland.

"This report is an indication of the scale of the challenge that the government faces."

He said that transforming economic growth would address a number of other problems highlighted in the report.

"We have made it very clear that our purpose is to increase susrtainable economic growth in Scotland."

The BMA wants the Scottish Executive to introduce health impact assessments for all government policies.

Living in poverty

Dr Peter Terry, chairman of the BMA in Scotland, said health needed to be put at the heart of decision-making.

"Our public health is affected by a whole range of factors in society," he said.

"It is widely known that people living in poverty or those from disadvantaged communities are more likely to experience poor health."

"Health is improving, although the improvement is greater in more affluent areas."
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 12:31pm On Jun 11, 2007
I love nigeria but I am backing Glasgow

Please support us: check this link http://www.glasgow2014.com/
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by angel101(f): 12:50pm On Jun 11, 2007
much as i do not supprt Nigeria hosting the games as i dont think its priority for us, i take exception to the article. Everyone knows Nigeria has major issues but men that article was over exaggerated even by Nigerian standards! i beg these guys should give us a break.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by initiator(m): 1:16pm On Jun 11, 2007
Nigerians have a terrible self-esteem problem. We dont expect anything from ourselves.
Those badmouthing nig. should know that games like these help boost the economy and improve infrastructure. Games are not hosted by perfect countries. S/A isn't even ready 4 the world cup but FIFA and the world's encouraging them. Here we cant even tell from a terribly warped article. Any fool can write rubbish about any country even US or UK. In naija its becoming fashionable to hate ur country in a very masochist way.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by denex: 2:31pm On Jun 11, 2007
Hmmm, individuals wielding machine guns for their own personal safety in Nigeria? In Abuja?

Well, I really don't think Nigeria should host the commonwealth games. The basic reason is that we are surrounded by non-commonwealth countries. Therefore few people will come to watch the games from abroad so we will get minimal foreign exchange. We cannot afford to spend 250million in the near future, only to recoup 12million. I am not in support of that kind of colonial reasoning. People don't host games for glory sake. People host games to make money from foreign visitors. Germany made more than $12billion from hosting the world cup. Which commonwealth spectators are we expecting? Ghanaians?
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by denex: 3:07pm On Jun 11, 2007
I believe that Abuja is far ahead of Glasgow. However, I am against Abuja hosting this commonwealth games. I'm even against Nigeria being referred to as "COMMONWEALTH". More like colony. Abeg enough of this colonial mentality. Instead of them even begging us to host the games, were the ones fighting to host it. Abeg enough is enough. Let England host its own commonwealth.

I reject it, and will thwart any effort to host any such games.

God punish queen elizabeth and british imperialism.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 3:09pm On Jun 11, 2007
he he he.

pls dont curse my Queen. I have an allegiance to the Queen.

grin
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by initiator(m): 3:19pm On Jun 11, 2007
@ denex what in the world d'u mean by only ghana wld come to the games? Common wealth game gets all english-speaking countries xcept the US mandatorily to one country. Canada hosted the games once and hey mexico was close by! Australia hosted and they're surrounded by non-english nations.

Naija has qualms and yes shanties but if u wait for the removal of shanties b4 u host an event, una go chop una bia bia. Games like these can challenge a country's internal policies. Like china, countries r threatening 2 boycot her 2008 olympics if she does'nt change her policy in sudan.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by denex: 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2007
@initiator

athletes from british colonies can be compelled to the commonwealth games, but they cannot compel fans to travel all the way from Australia, England, jamaica and India.

The only non-athlete visitors that will have a convenient trip to nigeria are Ghanaians because of the proximity and option of road transport.

Ah. No country should make the mistake of boycotting the Olympic games O! It will just put China's name in the history books as the only country to win all the olympic gold medals at one competition.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by superman(m): 4:16pm On Jun 11, 2007
na waaaa!

and in spite of the fact most of the emm infrastructure of the recent olympics in Athen wasnt completed prior to the game, plus the onces that were bulit wasnt completed in time, ICC or whatever they called themselve still let them have it.

in the case of south africa those racist wankers across the planet are now talkin about standby host for the world cup

here comes nigeria , some pppl cnt picture any good from it

oh well we get there anyhow
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by Mariory(m): 4:36pm On Jun 11, 2007
denex:

I reject it, and will thwart any effort to host any such games.

With what? Pixels on the internet?
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by denex: 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2007
Well, the effort to thwart the commonwealth games is not something that'll be too arduous. Most foreigners don't even know that expatriates are being kidnapped in the NigerDelta and not the whole of Nigeria. By the time I kidnap one whitey from Abuja and send the picture to CNN I-Report and those scottish reporters, government eye go neat.

Hosting international games is a business venture. Nigeria is the only country that makes 10% of what it invests in hosting sporting events.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by denex: 5:49pm On Jun 11, 2007
Well, the effort to thwart the commonwealth games is not something that'll be too arduous. Most foreigners don't even know that expatriates are being kidnapped in the NigerDelta and not the whole of Nigeria. By the time I kidnap one whitey from Abuja and send the picture to CNN I-Report and those scottish reporters, government eye go neat.

Hosting international games is a business venture. Nigeria is the only country that makes 10% of what it invests in hosting sporting events.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by azorjiu(m): 8:22pm On Jun 11, 2007
Take a look at
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/Glasgow-Lose-Games-Bid-t8209.html

By the way, I don't see the reason why Abuja should not host the game. We mustn't wait until per capita income gets to $40,000 to host the game.

Abuja is modern, Glasgow is rusty.

Hosting the game will not only improve on the infrastructure we have at the moment, but also contribute positively to the economy of the country. These guys are coming to spend dollars, pounds, naira, etc. can't you see.

On a sad note, corruption is a major factors as the benefits of the game may end up in the pockets of the privileged few.

But come to think of it, do we earnestly believe we can't win the war on corruption before 2014?- I don't mean zero corruption, but corruption at an acceptable level (Like the type you witness in UK, USA and other developed countries)
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 9:50am On Jun 12, 2007
I'm a regular reader of Glasgow Guide. There are very many of them there who have seriously racist views and if you read through the politics section, you'll understand what I mean; it's a typical, average Glasgow mentality to be narrow minded and racist. The claim that Nigeria is too hot can be countered by the claim that Glasgow is too cold. Even Glaswegians hate their own cold and wet weather. They tend to love concentrating on anything negative about African and non-whites.

However, I want Glasgow to host the games for my own selfish reasons; so that I can see many of my Nigerian brothers and sisters in Glasgow and I will hopefully invite some of them to my home smiley
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by stanech: 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2007
azorjiu:

Abuja is modern, Glasgow is rusty.

I do not blive this If u have some pictures of the modern Abuja let me see

And as for those saying that they do not want abuja to host please make una no spoil business for us oh.
Because as a member of MEND lipsrsealed  I will like to kidnapp like 3 Oyibo during the games.
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by azorjiu(m): 11:20pm On Jun 12, 2007
Ok, but abuja deserves to host the game. We've got the facilities for the event ready.

Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by MILITIA(f): 11:25pm On Jun 12, 2007
@Stanech! I dey laff! grin grin grin grin grin You are something else!

@Azorjiu
They are asking you for pictures of "Abuja" you are showing us Scottish pride? cheesy Please my naija brodas and sistas make una show us picture of "Abuja" Metropolis oh! Do not forget to include those "Bwari" kwashiorkor pot bellied people oh! LOL cheesy
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by JustGood(m): 9:03am On Jun 13, 2007
Militia, you are a pathetic being.

Have you ever heard of the drug-infested state of most Glaswegians as well?

Have you ever heard that many children are born with drug addiction in Glasgow?

Have you ever heard about the poverty of Easterhouse?

Have you ever heard about so many of the ills pervading Glasgow?

They dont go around parading their ills for the world to see. They'd rather concentrate on the ills of others. But my own people are so pathetic that the only ills they see are their own. I am not against identifying our weaknesses and lapses but to do this to our own detriment is the main reason that many are the way they are. That is why many are now refugees in foreign lands: not because there are no resources but because there is no will or desire on the part of the people to make anything work.

When people like militia can point to anything they have ever contributed in their lives to make Nigeria better, they can come back to talk about it's ills
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by DisGuy: 10:52am On Jun 13, 2007
this is a competition to get the games mud slinging is allowed
why arent there any nigeria newspaper publishing scotland as the worst small countryand whatnots abeg, these people know how to use the media, their journalist wants the games our journalists are busy following Tinubu and co to naming ceremonies/weddings and giving obanikoro the award for politician of the year undecided
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by stanech: 6:15pm On Jun 13, 2007
Dis Guy:

this is a competition to get the games mud slinging is allowed
why arent there any nigeria newspaper publishing scotland as the worst small countryand whatnots abeg, these people know how to use the media, their journalist wants the games our journalists are busy following Tinubu and co to naming ceremonies/weddings and giving obanikoro the award for politician of the year undecided

LOL  cheesy

My brother wetin our political journalists know?
If you give them a visa to Scotland, many of them will abandon their job to go there, afterall ow much are they payed?
Let us be realistic We are not capable of hosting any of such competition because PHCN, shocked shocked shocked
Re: Abuja: The Scottish View. by deor03(m): 7:46pm On Jun 13, 2007
this is just the power of the media at play. The westerners will make you feel useless if you take their views. ABUJA by any standard is an above average city, clean etc. These guys just want us and we should just shred editorials like that. Read them and laugh over it. nothing more.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Acn's Campaign Aganda (cartoon) / Awoyokun: Secularism, Adegbite And Sharia Banking / Biafran war; the first successful Jihad in modern times - By Hugh Fitzgerald

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.