Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,061 members, 7,859,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:43 PM

Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) - Celebrities (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) (77615 Views)

“So Cynthia Morgan Lied?” Nigerians React To Cynthia Morgan’s Contract With Jude / Landlord Takes Cynthia Morgan To Court Over Unpaid Rent, Tax Evasion / Cynthia Morgan Aka Madrina Is Back On Instagram With Adorable Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:16pm On May 26, 2020
nextstep:
I must disagree: according to the contract (that Cynthia signed), he has all rights to do so:

Section 9. ASSIGNMENT OF EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS BY ARTIST. Upon the timely occurrence and performance of all material events and obligations required to produce the recording, Artist shall assign to the Company all of his/her rights, title, and interest in and to the following property, for distribution and commercial exploitation worldwide:
a. The Songs,
b. Artist's performance of the Songs contained in the Recording,
c. The Title of the Recording.

In other words, all rights have been assigned by Cynthia to Jude: songs, performances, videos, title, everything related to that song. He owns it, and has the legal right to protect his property.

again, focus on the above in red...as it certainly does NOT stipulate that the revenue from the above shall be used 100% to offset the investment of the record label (aka to repay video production cost etc) so it is for commercial exploitation and certainly NOT repayment of the debt. we all understand English, right?!

so the record label has the rights to the songs and when they receive her royalties etc, they take their cut (who cant be any more than 50%) and pay her
or whoever the balance.... and as stipulated, if there is any disagreement, a Lagos court shall decide.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by Ishilove: 7:18pm On May 26, 2020
IAmMysterious:

Beef sauce? Chicken sauce? Crocodile sauce??

which one is it, auntie??
Ask Nairaland oldies about my comment
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by safarigirl(f): 7:22pm On May 26, 2020
Edoloaded:
I see many people here forming Odogwu and judging what they don't know and forming woke.

The same Jude that no artist under his Label was able to last 3 years...

Is it Waje , Mayd , Cynthia Morgan ? Even Psquare split under him.

So upon all the accusations against jude na just name he wan take defend himself, he is mad. Why did he not react to what May D said or what Peter said. The Bible said affliction will not rise for a second time.

If this recent publicity is God's way of bringing Madrina (Cynthia Morgan) into the limelight after all the suffering there's nothing Jude or you Nairaland trolls or anybody else can do to stop it

Just because someone was convicted of a crime previously, does not mean they are guilty of the same crime at all times.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:26pm On May 26, 2020
georgeiyke009:
Sure. All was quiet until she hit social media after 3 years. If she had a case, she would have gone to court. She didn't and choose social media to yarn without facts. Just yarns. Only Jude brought out the contract. Concrete proof.

the babe is broke, you have to understand her... she doesnt have the money to hire lawyers etc so she is using the supreme court of social media to get justice... and we can clearly see that something is fishy, just by reading the said contract

Usually, record labels do not waste more money chasing broke artists that violate their contracts. Unless you leave and blow. Then it would make sense cuz there is something. Either way, they should take the matter to court. A contract is a contract. Simple. She was not forced to take it. She sought out Jude not the other way round. And she came with a standalone manager.

... yet the record label is hijacking her Vevo account (probably her royalties too) with false claim that we can all see, from the contract, are illegal and just fables in the sky.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by nextstep(m): 7:26pm On May 26, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
again, focus on the above in red...as it certainly does NOT stipulate that the revenue from the above shall be used 100% to offset the investment of the record label (aka to repay video production cost etc) so it is for commercial exploitation and certainly NOT repayment of the debt. we all understand English, right?!

so the record label has the rights to the songs and when they receive her royalties etc, they take their cut (who cant be any more than 50%) and pay her
or whoever the balance.... and as stipulated, if there is any disagreement, a Lagos court shall decide.

No worries. However, how is an artist supposed to pay her 50%? In almost all cases I know of, it's from revenues. Unless Cynthia has some couple of million someplace and she can write a check, the expectation is that her debt payment will come from the commercial exploitation of the song/video.

The terms of the payment was actually stipulated in Section 3. COSTS, and I quote the end: "As a new artist with no financial backing, NorthSide music would put up 100 percent and deduct the 50 percent expense from Gross Profit received from artist earning."

The way I understand that is: until her debt is paid up, every Naira of profit that would have gone to the Artist, goes to the label.

2 Likes

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by oyekan1997(m): 7:29pm On May 26, 2020
Davash222:

Audio achievements.
Madam, Farabale.. We know your type. Abokki newspaper forming early twenties. Lol

Lolss.... You're ash man grin grin grin

Audio achievements laasan, awon oloshi afigo lo'so grin

1 Like

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by waks1(m): 7:30pm On May 26, 2020
Millenniumlady:
It's obvious jude is a user why would an upcoming artist pay 50% of her production among other things you still had the gut to say the profit should be 50%50 like seriously boy ? If you're not paying for the cost of production as a company then don't bring the 50/50 deal on the table he wanted to kill her career thanks to the creator she's back on her feet and she's currently the no.1 artist trending in Africa without releasing a single yet so jude can go back to where he belong THE STREETS.....He blocked me on Instagram cause I curse am no be small cheesy grin grin
Can't u read before making allegation, the coy put 100% from the onset which artist will pay his own 50% back after making money.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by oyekan1997(m): 7:30pm On May 26, 2020
Millenniumlady:
Boy i'm better than you because what I've achieve right now in my early twenties you can't come close to that in your late 50s.

What have you achieved madam? grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by SKGtalkof9jaboi: 7:31pm On May 26, 2020
martineverest:
no mind the iddiotic and irresponsible jude
sometimes, I wonder if pple like you have brains or may be animal brain, even after reading the contract u chose sentiment over the truth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:32pm On May 26, 2020
nextstep:
Cynthia has not demonstrated that - with his actions - Jude broke the terms of their contract.

even a blind man can see he did...
- he claims he owes 100% of the videos while he doesnt
- he claims she owes him 100% of video production cost, while she doesnt
- he hijacked her vevo (and possibly royalties) while the contract says only a Lagos court can decide that.

She has no claims of ownership to any of the songs/videos/lyrics/promotion/vevo. She assigned those rights to him with her signature.

the minute she stepped out of the contract and they accepted that she could leave, then the record label had NO MORE CLAIM over these songs.... apart from the 50% royalties to offset the debts.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by kakaG: 7:34pm On May 26, 2020
Millenniumlady:
It's obvious jude is a user why would an upcoming artist pay 50% of her production among other things you still had the gut to say the profit should be 50%50 like seriously boy ? If you're not paying for the cost of production as a company then don't bring the 50/50 deal on the table he wanted to kill her career thanks to the creator she's back on her feet and she's currently the no.1 artist trending in Africa without releasing a single yet so jude can go back to where he belong THE STREETS.....He blocked me on Instagram cause I curse am no be small cheesy grin grin

Lady it is called a deal. She sure can read and I a very sure she had a legal team at that time who would have sighted those grey lines, yet she went ahead to sign. If you don't know how up coming artistes behave try finding out

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by Olatlaccon(m): 7:36pm On May 26, 2020
I'm surprised seeing some people donating money for this lady...like she knew you wen she was hitting it and I don't think she'll know you guys after coming back to limelight...some people cannot give shishi to their siblings but will be forming boss for another person matter just for some people to see....I pray she comes back hard no hard feelings no matter the true case maybe...I just don't like being pitied....Peace out[b]I'm surprised seeing some people donating money for this lady...like she knew you wen she was hitting it and I don't think she'll know you guys after coming back to limelight...some people cannot give shishi to their siblings but will be forming boss for another person matter just for some people to see....I pray she comes back hard no hard feelings no matter the true case maybe...I just don't like being pitied....Peace out[/b]I'm surprised seeing some people donating money for this lady...like she knew you wen she was hitting it and I don't think she'll know you guys after coming back to limelight...some people cannot give shishi to their siblings but will be forming boss for another person matter just for some people to see....I pray she comes back hard no hard feelings no matter the true case maybe...I just don't like being pitied....Peace out
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by Nobody: 7:41pm On May 26, 2020
fabuloz1:

grin I just pity some girls. Be humble so that your helper can locate you but them go dey form posh. person that was supposed to help her might have seen how audio posh she is and waka pass looking left side
At least the pm she getting from some nairaland guys is what is boosting her ego.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by janzguy: 7:43pm On May 26, 2020
Millenniumlady:

It's obvious you didn't read the post properly.... Read it again and you would see where 50/50 is only necessary if the artiste has financial backing, but 100 percent is the artiste has no financial backing!! ( Mind you, not every artiste looking for a label is broke)...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by PlainJoe: 7:47pm On May 26, 2020
MrBanner:
[s][/s]

Stop this nonsense, stop waiting on people to send their hard earned money to you. Go to hospital, testing and treatment for TB is free unless you want to do big boy. Go to general hospital to get yourself treated. I'm quite sure that your story isn't true because it just doesn't pan out, but assuming it's true, then you have absolutely no need to solicit for assistance. Have you ever seen someone with HIV soliciting for assistance?

Did you read the part I said I'm advised not to be on the road again to avoid exposing myself to cold? I should change business or get a new job?
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by mannyiyke: 7:50pm On May 26, 2020
Millenniumlady:
But she agreed to that. Was she handcuffed? Stop being sentimental and speak the truth for once.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MPESA(m): 7:51pm On May 26, 2020
AristocraticMe:
Oga read well well..... the record label paid 100% but in financial terms they paid 50% the artist will pay the remaining 50%. Simple.

it is the artist that records the songs oooo, perform ooo, write the songs, do rehearsal ooo and do various interviews, face online bullies and such.... do you think it is easy... Record label just contribute 50% and they are behaving like a god.

Go back and reread again this time slowly.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by janzguy: 7:51pm On May 26, 2020
Edoloaded:
I see many people here forming Odogwu and judging what they don't know and forming woke.

The same Jude that no artist under his Label was able to last 3 years...

Is it Waje , Mayd , Cynthia Morgan ? Even Psquare split under him.

So upon all the accusations against jude na just name he wan take defend himself, he is mad. Why did he not react to what May D said or what Peter said. The Bible said affliction will not rise for a second time.

If this recent publicity is God's way of bringing Madrina (Cynthia Morgan) into the limelight after all the suffering there's nothing Jude or you Nairaland trolls or anybody else can do to stop it

And artistes have not left the almighty Mavins Or 5 star music before??

We just need to accept the truth, artistes leaving record labels has become a norm is our entertainment industry!! Times without number the artistes have proven to be the ones at fault because they are always quick to sign a record deal all because they want to live the flashy life so fast without properly looking at what is in the deal.. They think label owners are people who have money to throw around, not realizing it's a business and profit must be made!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by BigIyanga: 7:51pm On May 26, 2020
Shaprara:

I don't interpret her statement to be a lie, I'm not a lawyer but what I interpret the statement to be particularly the use of name and image clause in Number 10 of the contract is that, her name, and every material that has her name on it during the duration of the contract belongs to the company and the company can use the name and her image in accordance with the contract. Meaning she herself can't perform a song she recorded under the company, or use the image she had under the company or use any material she had with the company under her name.

With the way it works in Nigeria, can you 100% agree that if cythia Morgan had released a track, featured another artiste or any material under the name Cynthia morgan, the company won't lay claim to it ?

I use kiss Daniel for example, his former label owned the rights to all of his music and all material under the name kiss Daniel that he had with the company, when he left he released some tracks and the former label said the name belonged to the label and all proceeds belonged to the label as far as he uses that name, then he was forced to change the name and till date he doesn't perform any songs he had with the former label. I believe Mr Jude will do the same cos that's like the general things amongst some music executives.

Mr Jude never said Cynthia didn't fulfill her ownside of the agreement, how come she owes him $40m abi na Naira ?
It’s legal and straight up biz. Paul McCartney cannot perform any Beatles songs without paying Michael Jackson/Estate because he bought all Beatles masters and catalogue. Tough luck in an emotional world, but fair in a biz world

3 Likes

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by DexterousOne(m): 7:51pm On May 26, 2020
Millenniumlady:

Well said jare

I dont understand how anyone will support Jude undecided
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MPESA(m): 7:54pm On May 26, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

- he hijacked her vevo (and possibly royalties) while the contract says only a Lagos court can decide that.

the minute she stepped out of the contract and they accepted that she could leave, then the record label had NO MORE CLAIM over these songs.... apart from the 50% royalties to offset the debts.

Why are you always on the left side of any case, it's getting irritating and worst daily..... Must you comment.

1 Like

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by Jdbrasco2: 7:56pm On May 26, 2020
What happened to the Cynthia and May D after they left Jude? I was expecting they for blow by now
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:57pm On May 26, 2020
nextstep:
No worries. However, how is an artist supposed to pay her 50%? In almost all cases I know of, it's from revenues. Unless Cynthia has some couple of million someplace and she can write a check, the expectation is that her debt payment will come from the commercial exploitation of the song/video.

from the 50% of her royalties that the record label will receive, as stipulated in the contract.

The terms of the payment was actually stipulated in Section 3. COSTS, and I quote the end: "As a new artist with no financial backing, NorthSide music would put up 100 percent and deduct the 50 percent expense from Gross Profit received from artist earning."

yes, so out of her 1st cheque, the 50% of the video cost was suppose to have been deducted already... and unless CM had no cheques whatsoever for 3yrs (aka NO earning), i doubt the above to be true.

The way I understand that is: until her debt is paid up, every Naira of profit that would have gone to the Artist, goes to the label.

no no no.... here is the tricky part of the contract:"
company's production, marketing, manufacturing and all expenses bal bla shall be recouped from the GROSS INCOME.....meaning that when they receive the money, before Cynthia can get a cheque, the above will be repaid.....BUT the 50% cost of video production will be repaid from GROSS PROFIT... meaning that when they have repaid the above, what is left will be divided between label and artist, and she will now have to pay her 50% video cost out of her share. understand?!

gross income and gross profit are not the same thing....
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by mannyiyke: 7:58pm On May 26, 2020
sketcherJ:
Guys the title is not even the case. I took my time to read the content of this contract. I was kinda supporting Jude before but when I saw this contract. I just know that there is no way an artist would become rich in this record label.
How much will the artist make to pay production fee 50% and still share 50% with the company? Read guys!!
Was she blind when she signed it? If a deal will be unfavourable to me, I'll just walk away. The fault is entirely hers.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by Turata101: 8:00pm On May 26, 2020
Use your head fool. did you know how much the record label invested on her? Goat think before you comment
Millenniumlady:
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:02pm On May 26, 2020
MPESA:
Why are you always on the left side of any case, it's getting irritating and worst daily..... Must you comment.

see this one who thinks we should all have the same opinion... cry me a river!
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by nextstep(m): 8:03pm On May 26, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

We are circulating around the same thing:

He owns 100% of the videos she did while in the label. Section 9 assigns performances (live, recorded, etc) 100% to him. Even if he paid only 50% of the cost, the contract assigns all of the video to him.

He paid 100% of the cost, she owes him her share (50%). I don't see a claim she owes 100% of the cost. Please point me to anywhere that claim is made.

If she feels there's a dispute, she is free to take him to court. However, section 15. (NON-CIRMUMVENTION) says essentially that "Artists shall not detrimentally interfere with the efforts of Company to distribute..." Since the music video belongs to the Label (section 9), and not to Cynthia, the label essentially owns how and when the video is played, including YouTube, Vevo, radio stations, etc. and can take steps to protect its property, including taking ownership of the page for the brand "Cynthia Morgan". She assigned that right in section 10 (LICENSE FOR USE OF NAME AND IMAGE).

- the minute she stepped out of the contract and they accepted that she could leave, then the record label had NO MORE CLAIM over these songs.... apart from the 50% royalties to offset the debts
Contracts end, but the ownership of the songs remains with the Label. They own the rights (section 9), they own the copyright if assigned (section 12), and have sole, exclusive and perpetual ownership to the songs (section 14) (i.e. forever).

Former employees don't come back to claim any rights to the work they did for a former employer (unless it was stimulated in contract)... I don't see how she can still own the songs (and all performances, including music videos) she assigned to somebody.

Are we reading the same contract?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by supercase1(m): 8:05pm On May 26, 2020
Gentlec198:
I pray she will not have the same issues with Davido, If he finally sign and seal a deal with her. This time around she needs to be cool headed to learn from her mistakes, so he will be I AM TAKEN, again,and this time will come out with I AM NEW SIGN
Davido go don nack her yansh tire b4 offering deal abi no be obo again!!
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by mindtricks: 8:07pm On May 26, 2020
Ishilove:

After listening to Jude I doubt he has any more energy for drama

I tell you. Dude looked kinda too worn-out to want to make troubles.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by MPESA(m): 8:08pm On May 26, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

see this one who thinks we should all have the same opinion... cry me a river!

Not necessary or must we have the same opinion or point of view on issue but at least try to be reasonable at a point.
Re: Cynthia Morgan Lied Against Her Record Label? (Contract) by Worldtaker: 8:10pm On May 26, 2020
She wants to blow without following due process

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Omotunde Adebowale-David Lolo1’s Mother Remarries At 56 (Photos, Video) / Tiwa Savage & Toke Makinwa Join #EndSARS Protest On The Streets Of Lagos (Video) / Tiwa Savage Celebrates Her 41st Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.