Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,320 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man (62467 Views)

Minnesota Mother Drowns Baby, Sends Gruesome Photo To Boyfriend (Photo) / Met Police Shoot Chris Kaba, An Unarmed Black Man. Family Cries For Justice / Jacob Blake: Kenosha Police Shoot Unarmed Black Man 7 Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Hndrrxxx(m): 10:25pm On May 26, 2020
Four Minnesota police officers have been fired after the death of a black man who was taken into custody and seen on video being pinned down by his neck.

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said the four officers were now "former employees".

Footage shows the man, George Floyd, groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the white officer.

The incident echoed that of Eric Garner, a black man who died being arrested in New York City in 2014.

The FBI has said it will investigate the Minneapolis incident, which took place on Monday evening.

Minnesota police said Mr Floyd died after a "medical incident" in a "police interaction". They said he had been suspected of committing forgery.

On Tuesday afternoon, Mayor Jacob Frey confirmed the four officers involved in the incident had been "terminated".

"This is the right call," he tweeted.

At a press conference earlier, Mr Frey had described the incident as "completely and utterly messed up".

"I believe what I saw and what I saw is wrong on every level," he said. "Being black in America should not be a death sentence."

It is the latest accusation of US police brutality against African Americans. Recent high-profile cases include an officer in Maryland who fatally shot a man inside a patrol car.

The incident in Minneapolis began after officers located the man in his car, police said in a statement. They were told the man, who has not been identified, was "sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence".

After being ordered to step away from the vehicle, the man physically resisted officers, according to police. "Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress," the statement added.

In the 10-minute video filmed by a witness, the man is kept on the ground by the officer and, at one point, says: "Don't kill me."

Witnesses urged the officer to take his knee off the man's neck, noting that he was not moving. One says, "His nose is bleeding", while another pleads, "Get off his neck."

The man then appears motionless before he is put on a stretcher and into an ambulance.

Police said no weapons were used during the incident and that body camera footage had been handed to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which is investigating the case.

After the video emerged, police said in a statement: "As additional information has been made available, it has been determined that the Federal Bureau of Investigation will be a part of this investigation."

Speaking to US media on Tuesday, Chief Arradondo said the force's policies "regarding placing someone under control" will be reviewed as part of the probe.

The FBI declined to comment.

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar - who has reportedly been shortlisted as Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's running mate - issued a statement calling for a "complete and thorough outside investigation".

"Justice must be served for this man and his family, justice must be served for our community, justice must be served for our country," she said.

"I can't breathe" became a national rallying cry against police brutality in the US after the July 2014 death of Eric Garner.

Garner, an unarmed black man, uttered the phrase 11 times after being detained by police on suspicion of illegally selling loose cigarettes. They were the final words of the 43-year-old, who died after a police officer placed him in a chokehold.

A city medical examiner ruled the chokehold contributed to Garner's death. The New York City police officer involved in Garner's deadly arrest was fired from the police force more than five years later, in August 2019'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6wY3bQqBo8
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52806572?iorg_service_id_internal=624173547714020%3BAfpWpiLhnROUp_90

9 Likes 8 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by TheGiftedOne(m): 10:29pm On May 26, 2020
Racists

161 Likes 8 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Dreal1247: 10:29pm On May 26, 2020
What a cruel way to die?

121 Likes 3 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by deddypiper: 10:32pm On May 26, 2020
Man's inhumanity to his fellow man, Just because he's black, this is highly unfair

217 Likes 8 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by confistified(m): 10:43pm On May 26, 2020
It's not just about firing them (letting them off easy), three of them should be jailed while the fourth man who kneeled on the victims neck should be hanged angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYDHWcxLWs

R.I.P George Floyd cry

428 Likes 27 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by vastolord4(m): 10:46pm On May 26, 2020
Looks like a sacrificial lamb! Racism at its peak

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Nobody: 10:47pm On May 26, 2020
Look am tired o. The trumpet should be given to me. I promise i will not blow it.

118 Likes 6 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by olaric(m): 10:48pm On May 26, 2020
Saw the video and I was moved to tears. Man is evil; no wonder God wiped humanity out with flood during the time of Noah and will soon do it again by fire and brimstone.

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Aliii(m): 10:53pm On May 26, 2020
I watched the video ,its evident that the police meant to kill him at all cost ,even after checking his pulse by his fellow police confirming him dead the murderer still refused to take off his leg of him till the ambulance came and took his corpse ,its a very horrible way to die .Rest in power Floyd

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Hndrrxxx(m): 11:02pm On May 26, 2020
Police always fuxkin with a nigga coz I'm black

@lalasticlala

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by icebird25(m): 12:55am On May 27, 2020
You just fired him that's is all you guys could do ..

White been oppressing us since the time of kingsolomon..if our Yahoo boys see this one naw..they go double their hustle just get a payback ..so the victim can go and commit suicide .. I hate white, yeah you heard me right, for what they did to our ancestors, the way they are maltreating blacks as if we are not humans ..
If you are a white sympathizer trying to quote me all in the name of stupid visa.. I promise it's not gonna end well with you.

If that guy was a white man? Will they treat/arrest him in such a murderous manner?

255 Likes 28 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Monaco2(m): 4:55am On May 27, 2020
Hmmmm, the way these police men/women they physically they abuse black men during arrest is very frightening, most of the videos I watch d men will not resist arrest but still they use force on them but if it’s a white man they tread softly, I watched a clip of a white man using knife to chase police men, d idiots were just saying “ put the knife down sir” but if na black man dem for shoot am

161 Likes 7 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by SultanOfAbia: 4:56am On May 27, 2020
Guy Forget oooooo
Nigeria is still better
Nothing pass freedom, even in a shithole
Blacks in America, any small thing them go lock you up for 10 yrs in Prison..
Any small thing Police Go Pull Trigger
Everybody carry gun, if police no kill you, your fellow black go shoot you..

At The End, America na all Hype!!!
For Those comparing Nigerian police as worse than American police..listen!!!
American police has strong ties with KKK
Nigerian police Las Las na bribe Dem want
American police want you either Dead or in PRISION!!
PRISION is a big business in USA which is privatized and it generate millions
As a black man, either you slaving for them in prison or they arrest or kill you.
Rasicts don't need your bribe or bail money, they want to see you burn in hell..
Nigerian police still better, I can settle my way with bail but USA before you say fim, you are already serving 6 years in a violent prison even if you're CLEARLY innocent. Just Look at the number of black males in prison.. And tell me if American PRISION is not the "Modern Day Slave Cotton Field" that's why the KKK poilce are hunting down blacks just like their europen slave masters..now instead of putting them in cotton field, Prison has replaced that....
More proof here
https://imdiversity.com/diversity-news/florida-town-stunned-news-police-kkk-ties/

173 Likes 18 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by lonelydora: 4:56am On May 27, 2020
Very good. Justice at last.

They should bring the cop to the hood for some "street treatment"

8 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by emmabest2000(m): 4:57am On May 27, 2020
Is it only in movies that these black Americans knows how to act hitman ?

Abeg make them brow up that motherfucker white head with ogene isi mkpinabu biko

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by iomoge2(f): 4:58am On May 27, 2020
Better
I just watched the video from shaderoom b4 coming on here.
Firing them is not enough

A man you have handcuffed.
Put to the ground.
You still put your weight on his neck
A man without weapons
A man begging for his life.
He clearly said he couldn't breath and begged.
Even messed himself up outta pressure.
Became unresponsive and you guys still stayed on him
Mans brutality to Man.
Racism
Losing their jobs isnt enough.

153 Likes 8 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Johntemmy(m): 4:58am On May 27, 2020
majority of whites are racist..Bleep them big time.

20 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by GiantMelCosta: 4:59am On May 27, 2020
Acebird25:

White been oppressing us since the time of kingsolomon..if our Yahoo boys see this one naw..they go double their hustle just get a payback ..so the victim can go and commit suicide .. I hate white, yeah you heard me right, for what they did to our ancestors, the way they are maltreating blacks as if we are not humans ..
If you are a white sympathizer trying to quote me all in the name of stupid visa.. I GiantMelCosta it's not gonna end well with you.

If that guy was a white man? Will they treat/arrest him in such a murderous manner?
Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by udemzyudex(m): 4:59am On May 27, 2020
icebird25:

If you are a white sympathizer trying to quote me all in the name of stupid visa.. I promise it's not gonna end well with you.

I don't blame them, I blame God for carrying out a fail experiment.

Why did he create human in different colors?

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Kaxmytex(m): 4:59am On May 27, 2020
Those guyz no just want see black man, i just dey wonder how much they detest that color.

We dey make dere people feel at home over here o and what do we get in return for that, they treat black as trash.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by pippimp(m): 5:00am On May 27, 2020
TheGiftedOne:
Racists

Better to live in another man's country where racism exist than in ones own country where tribalism flourishes.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by abayomi27(m): 5:00am On May 27, 2020
They always treat blacks like shit. Make dem no worry na, that last day is coming.

8 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by abbey621(m): 5:02am On May 27, 2020
icebird25:

Query your ancestors for selling their people, black slavery started from Africans selling Africans then the whites simply upgraded the technique. The love of gold, the love of weapons and so on, your ancestors were some of the most greedy sons of b*tches to ever walk the earth!

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by Atikulated: 5:04am On May 27, 2020
America is the real shithole*

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by neatideas: 5:04am On May 27, 2020
Evil people everywhere. May God safe us from them

4 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by tunary(m): 5:04am On May 27, 2020
very good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by FlordFlorez(m): 5:06am On May 27, 2020
Bloody racists.

4 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by fr3do(m): 5:06am On May 27, 2020
Firing is not enough
Prosecution and subsequent conviction is appropriate.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by DukeofMbaitoli: 5:06am On May 27, 2020
TheGiftedOne:
Racists
They are not racists...they are wild animals. Only animals can do something so inhumane..SARS wouldn't even do something like this.

Rip man

26 Likes

Re: George Floyd: Minnesota Police Officers Fired After Death Of Unarmed Black Man by LordOfTheWeed: 5:08am On May 27, 2020
I watched the full video here https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1265389213714915333?s=09 and I almost burst in tears..

I never knew it's a sin to be black, honestly I never knew! cry

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Juanito Pistola, 16-Year-Old Mexican Cartel Hitman Killed By Police / Abosede Idowu Stabs Boyfriend To Death Over N3,000 In Ogun (Photo) / Businessman, Obinna Echianu, Commits Suicide By Hanging Inside Kuje Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.